ADVERTISEMENT

What are our NCAA Tournament Expectations this year?

HRTheCard

1500+
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2016
I think it all depends on what we see in the first game, and what region we are in, along with who is in it with us.

More importantly, I think it is about time Pitino shortens the lineup to 8-9 players. I dont understand why we didnt do that vs Duke. I do understand 4 fouls on Mitchell, but Henderson shouldn't have stepped foot on the court, and Levitch as well.

Im genuinely shocked that Pitino hasnt shortened the lineup like he has done these past years.

Maybe not even shorten the lineup, maybe he should have 2 set lineups totaling 9-10 players instead of mixing and matching everyone randomly.

What do you guys think? Will he shorten the lineup, or will he make 2 set lineups, or both?

Agree Henderson shouldn't be on the floor unless we are in serious foul trouble. It depends on which Mitchell shows up. I know his poor games have usually included foul trouble, but his whole game changes. He has to learn to adapt and play smart aggressive ball without fouling. I also know that's easier said than done. If you had ask this question 3 weeks ago I would've said we can win it all. But now I would not be surprised if we get past sweet sixteen or elite 8 at best. Just depends on draw. I hope they prove me wrong! I feel like this season is similar to our football season. We are losing momentum at the wrong time.

the fact that we are all scratching our heads about CRP trying to figure out which players to play and trying to still figure out team chemistry at the end of the season going into the tournament should be all you need to know regarding our post season expectations.

i'm disappointed the team never really gelled the way most of our teams do by the end of the season. a lot of that has to do with Q's midseason injury. the team gelled and played the best team ball with him out. by the time he got healthy, the team had to relearn how to play with him, and we never really got it right.

Sweet 16....would impress me. The reason is because, UofL has only beat one Top25 team within the past 2 months and that was at home at the YUM center.

the fact that we are all scratching our heads about CRP trying to figure out which players to play and trying to still figure out team chemistry at the end of the season going into the tournament should be all you need to know regarding our post season expectations.

i'm disappointed the team never really gelled the way most of our teams do by the end of the season. a lot of that has to do with Q's midseason injury. the team gelled and played the best team ball with him out. by the time he got healthy, the team had to relearn how to play with him, and we never really got it right.

I think this is exactly right.

I don't really know what to expect. One on hand this team has the pieces to make a deep run. On the other hand, they have the inconsistent play that gets teams bounced in the opening game.

IDK.

Like the others I'm not exactly sure what to expect. If the Cards lose either of their first two games I'll be disappointed for sure. However if they make the Sweet 16 I like our chances of going further. You have to remember Pitino's record in S16 games after all.

I don't know what to expect either. I'm trying to be optimistic. We shall see.

Last edited:
Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Unfortunately.....I see a first or second game flame out. Sincerely hope not....but this team does not instill much confidence in me to expect much more than that.:confused::mad::(

Reactions: Deeva
IF the committee puts us in the West Region w/Gonzaga, Louisville will make it to the Final Four, if we play Gonzaga, I'm not worried at all about them.

Beside on which region we'll be in, I'll pay attention on where Minny will be at, does the committee puts them in our or UK's region?

IMO it all comes down to guard play if Q and Donovan can stay out of foul trouble it helps with Q you can count on say 10 to 15 points and good ball movement, with Donovan he has to score more than 8 points for us to advance to anywhere. When he is not on his game we lose 9 out of 10 times....

I don't really know what to expect. One on hand this team has the pieces to make a deep run. On the other hand, they have the inconsistent play that gets teams bounced in the opening game.

IDK.
Take your heart out of it and look how the team has been trending (a little like football) and what do the results tell you. The first team that takes DM out of the game either mentally or with fouls will send us home.

Unless we find that shutdown defense again.

Reactions: Cue Card
Sweet 16 is reasonable with this team, but it won't be easy. Anything after that is icing on the cake.

Anything less than sweet 16 is total failure.Although I 'm thinking only three wins personallyif we have to play Kansas in Kansas home game for them. Now if Kansas doesn't make it i expect 4. .

Take your heart out of it and look how the team has been trending (a little like football) and what do the results tell you. The first team that takes DM out of the game either mentally or with fouls will send us home.

You're right, but I can never completely take my heart out of it. That's why I will never bet on a UofL game with anyone. I always wear my homerism on my sleeve, so it's just not a good idea to gamble.

Reactions: nccardfan
I think it all depends on what we see in the first game, and what region we are in, along with who is in it with us.

More importantly, I think it is about time Pitino shortens the lineup to 8-9 players. I dont understand why we didnt do that vs Duke. I do understand 4 fouls on Mitchell, but Henderson shouldn't have stepped foot on the court, and Levitch as well.

Im genuinely shocked that Pitino hasnt shortened the lineup like he has done these past years.

Maybe not even shorten the lineup, maybe he should have 2 set lineups totaling 9-10 players instead of mixing and matching everyone randomly.

What do you guys think? Will he shorten the lineup, or will he make 2 set lineups, or both?

I expect Sweet 16. I hope we get Oklahoma State in the 2nd round instead of Michigan, however I am confident we can beat both.

Anything short of Elite 8 and I'll be disappointed.

Very hopeful for a Final Four and I feel it is very realistic.

Reactions: HRTheCard
I expect Sweet 16. I hope we get Oklahoma State in the 2nd round instead of Michigan, however I am confident we can beat both.

Anything short of Elite 8 and I'll be disappointed.

Very hopeful for a Final Four and I feel it is very realistic.

Me too. Now that we have the bracket revealed I am in agreeance with you

Same as every year.National Championship or bust.

Somewhat of a disclaimer: I have come to feel the same about our baseball team and am on the verge of feeling that way about football.

Championships.

The first team that takes DM out of the game either mentally or with fouls will send us home.

I don't see the shutdown thing happening,but Donovan and Q have to be able to overcome all obstacles if there's a chance.They'll have to make their teammates better when their game's are struggling.We go as far as they take us...and their teammates,imo.

Reactions: nccardfan
Let's not forget that Pitino will have had a whole week of uninterrupted practice with these guys since the loss to Duke. Give Pitino any team and a week of practice and he can make winners out of them. I expect the Final Four and nothing less.

You're right, but I can never completely take my heart out of it. That's why I will never bet on a UofL game with anyone. I always wear my homerism on my sleeve, so it's just not a good idea to gamble.
Every year I fill out a bracket that has the Cards winning... but I also fill out another one that I try to be more practical but somehow the Cards still come out at least to the FF because I always believe they're capable under CRP.

We need to beat all the teams seeded below us, that Would be Jacksonville, winner of Michigan/OK.ST. and probably Oregon. Anything beyond that is gravy. Like some others I always fill out one bracket with Cards winning it all. You just have to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT