ADVERTISEMENT

A Thought experiment...So how would your brain handle this situation?

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
This is not an excuse for how the team is efforting or playing, or how the coaches are coaching, it’s just something to contemplate. Let me offer you this thought experiment scenario on what might possibly be happening.

So, imagine you have a really good ear for language, good enough to make you money someday as an interpreter/translator if you work hard, and a school offers you a scholarship to come learn and hone your skills for the next level in life. So you pack up your things and you head off to college to study under one of the better professors.

You get on campus early and you are allowed to take non-credit instruction from the professor before your actual classes begin so you have time to get used to the way he’s teaching. That goes well but right before you have your first class that professor is suspended from teaching by the school and his assistant has to take over. You’ve gotten used to his teaching and now it’s on someone else.

The assistant has never taught before and since he’s not an exact clone of the professor he teaches a slightly different way and now your brain is having to switch off the prof’s version to concentrate on this newer version. You start to get comfortable with teh second method but then the prof is reinstated and he comes back but while he’s been gone he’s decided he’s going to incorporate some new tweeks to his original plan so now you are having to learn a third method.

Classes are now at full speed and you are being asked to translate in the fly in real time situations and your brain starts getting tripped up on which method you should be using and it’s making you uncomfortable. Instead of just naturally translating what’s coming you are thinking and reacting, not anticipating. It’s like you need to be translating a southern draw and it’s connotations but you’re using the northern version and everything is coming out backwards. Or you need to be using the northern dialect and the southern one pops in every once in a while. easy mistakes but terrible outcomes as you've not done your job.

You and your classmates begin to fumble your exercises and your tests and everyone is having a hard time switching between which way to use. There is so much confusion among the students that this results in the school asking the professor to step down and they promote the assistant.

Now you’ve got to throw out first and third versions of what you learned and go back to the second of that assistant. And this all ends up being a failure because too many changes in learning have occurred too quickly. Now your brain is just so frazzled from all the different methods that you know longer know which one is which and what is right.

And, finally, at the end of the year, they ask the assistant to leave the school also and they bring in another person who has never taught before and you now have to learn a fifth way of doing things within a year. And that fifth way has not been proven to work as a method at all and is just pure speculation that this way will lead you to any success. and on top of all this, all the students and alumni and fans of the school are yelling at you, making terrbile socail posts about you adn your classmates and this additional stress adn pressure is not helping you learn at all, it's actually making ti worse. I mean you're just a kid who wanted to translate and now you're being assaulted from all sides saying that you are incompetent.

So in a years’ time, you went from wanting to learn from someone who gave you a scholarship to having him switched out twice for an assistant and then having that assistant fired and replaced with someone with absolutely no experience teaching in your field at all. You brain constantly trying to switch between what you’ve learned and it’s synapses are getting rewired in the wrong ways and thus producing the unintended results. Now the fans hate you for looking like you’ve learned nothing, but what you brain learned was to actually be confused. Under these circumstances do you think you would be a good translator in live, stressful, tension packed situations? No you wouldn’t and if you say you would you are a liar.

So if you can understand how a translator going thru this situation might not be able to translate under pressure, in real time, and not be confident in what they are doing, and may look incompetent, then maybe you have some insight to what all the players may be going thru. and none of this is your current teachers fault, he's trying, yo';ve just been thru the wringer to much.

Who knows, but in just over a year or so, they’ve been thru essentially four different teaching methods as Mack adapted his to use Pegues methods too so nothing has been stable, nothing has been true, and nothing has been consistent. You put kids who are confused against kids you know their system and no matter the talent, the kids who know their system will always beat the ones who are running around reacting, and not anticipating.

Simply put, our players have to think constantly, have to think where I am supposed to be now, have to think what is the other team doing. Whereas every team we’ve played is comfortable in their system already and even if you are 1/10 of a second behind, that 1/10 is the difference in a player blowing by you, or getting the rebound, or making a steal, etc. Our players have to think non-stop and they cannot anticipate.

I don’t think this is truly on KP, I think our players have zero confidence on what to do because they’ve had five different systems in their brain in twelve months and each of those systems calls for different cues.

Maybe just maybe, our players are broken mentally. When I listen to the game on the radio, paul and bob constantly say when a player misses a shot they hang their head in disappointment. They need something positive to build on yet there’s none to be found. So I’ll 100% accept a zero win season because I understand their brains, but at some point the baby steps need to be going forward. Just my two cents, but someone also gave me a penny for my thoughts.

Start here. They need to forget their record and play with maximum effort for 40 minutes against Western and then beat Florida A&M. Lose to the Rattlers and 0-32 becomes a real thing.

The effort part against an in-state school shouldn’t be that hard if you have any pride at all.

Reactions: rh62531
True Story: I had a terrible accounting professor my junior year in college. The college I attended had a form of standardized testing that meant everyone took the test at certain dates over certain chapters, regardless if the material was taught or not. Our professor was so far behind we found ourselves taking tests about stuff we never went over in class. It was very unfair, because basically the other people who got a different professor was on track and we got stuck with this fraud. 90% of the class got a 'D' grade or worse after the first round of testing. Did we complain? Of course we did, but it did no good...the semester was too far in to move people around or drop the class. The professor stayed behind the rest of the semester. So a small group of us got together and studied on our own, attended any type of study hall we could and long story short...I was able to scrape by with a 'C' grade. Until that point my lowest letter grade was B, but I was happy to be done with it.

The university made a bad hire, as that was his first and only semester. This professor had been an accountant at a large manufacturing plant for 20+ years, so I believe he had a lot of experience in the field. And he was actually a very likable guy, had good charisma. The issue was he had a hard time teaching what he knew and teaching it within the framework of a college semester. He simply did not put us in a position to succeed. I get the university couldn't just fire him after a bad start to the semester, they was contractually obligated to him and would also have been a bad look. But thankfully, the university puled the plug on him after one semester so that other students wouldn't suffer in future years.

• Love
Reactions: TPACardsFan
I don’t think this is truly on KP, I think our players have zero confidence on what to do because they’ve had five different systems in their brain in twelve months and each of those systems calls for different cues.

Maybe just maybe, our players are broken mentally. When I listen to the game on the radio, paul and bob constantly say when a player misses a shot they hang their head in disappointment. They need something positive to build on yet there’s none to be found. So I’ll 100% accept a zero win season because I understand their brains, but at some point the baby steps need to be going forward. Just my two cents, but someone also gave me a penny for my thoughts.
Good analogy and can't say I disagree with it.

However, it seems to me that all systems should have some basic and common fundamentals. I think it's up to the Coach to find the common ground, get back to basics, reset, find something positive to build on, whatever it is you want to call it, and get some positive momentum built up. I've heard so many reasons and justifications (or excuses) on why we're not succeeding and not one GD reason on why we will. A good leader will find something. Remember what Schnellenberger said? "Yeah, they're dogs, but they're MY dogs". Where dafuq is this attitude? How about "Yeah, we're gonna lose a ton of games, but the other team will know they were in a fight". All we hear is how broken they are, and the more they hear it, the more broke they get. Our coach is giving them excuses to not win. I live in Georgia and I admit I miss a lot of stuff, so please let me know if I'm missing something. But this is what I'm seeing.

Sorry, rant over. After DECADES of high level success, its frustrating and disheartening to watch this and even more frustrating hearing that we're not even rock bottom yet.

Good analogy and can't say I disagree with it.

However, it seems to me that all systems should have some basic and common fundamentals. I think it's up to the Coach to find the common ground, get back to basics, reset, find something positive to build on, whatever it is you want to call it, and get some positive momentum built up. I've heard so many reasons and justifications (or excuses) on why we're not succeeding and not one GD reason on why we will. A good leader will find something. Remember what Schnellenberger said? "Yeah, they're dogs, but they're MY dogs". Where dafuq is this attitude? How about "Yeah, we're gonna lose a ton of games, but the other team will know they were in a fight". All we hear is how broken they are, and the more they hear it, the more broke they get. Our coach is giving them excuses to not win. I live in Georgia and I admit I miss a lot of stuff, so please let me know if I'm missing something. But this is what I'm seeing.

Sorry, rant over. After DECADES of high level success, its frustrating and disheartening to watch this and even more frustrating hearing that we're not even rock bottom yet.
sometimes you have to break them down completely, ie get them to erase all previous thoughts from their minds, before you can build them back up. i think we're in this scenario, that the players have no idea how to even walk so to speak and they need to learn to crawl again yet they all think they can run already.

They overpaid you on that post.. 🤣
maybe, but i'm probably closer to be right on what's going on than any other person who has offered any other explanation. funny how i was the one who didn't want KP and I seem to be the only one defending him.

Reactions: earsky
maybe, but i'm probably closer to be right on what's going on than any other person who has offered any other explanation. funny how i was the one who didn't want KP and I seem to be the only one defending him.
I sure didn't want him.. There's nothing he can do to right ship. He doesn't know how.. He has embarrassed the University. He has to go ! Get him outta here !

Ask a college honors student how he/she gets consistently good grades learning different subjects taught by different instructors every semester. It comes from natural aptitude, sure, but also discipline and hard work. Those are characteristics of most top performers.

The players on this team were all rated above average coming into the program. And they play like they are well below average and poorly instructed. It's not a coincidence that every guy on the team looks like this, and it can't be explained by factors that are totally outside our control.

JMO.

And keep in mind, we're not trying to explain the performance of team that is just a little dysfunctional. This team is historically bad and doesn't appear in any way to be changing course...

Last edited:
Reactions: H00SIER-Cat
Ask a college honors student how he/she gets consistently good grades learning different subjects taught by different instructors every semester. It comes from natural aptitude, sure, but also discipline and hard work. Those are characteristics of most top performers.

The players on this team were all rated above average coming into the program. And they play like they are well below average and poorly instructed. It's not a coincidence that every guy on the team looks like this, and it can't be explained by factors that are totally outside our control.

JMO.

And keep in mind, we're not trying to explain the performance of team that is just a little dysfunctional. This team is historically bad and doesn't appear in any way to be changing course...
Yeppers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT