ADVERTISEMENT

Well, I'm sitting here drinking a cup of coffee

WildCard

Five-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
watching the sun come up. Since yesterday's tailgate items were not yet put away a shot each of bourbon, rum and Kahlua are in the coffee. I think I'm "over it" but I could not help but ponder if that was the worst loss ever for Cardinal football. Close but I think not.

The Rutgers loss in 2006 is still the worst loss ever. That loss came in early November but when one looks at the entire year that loss kept the Cards out of the BCS playoff game. it has been a documented fact that the only way an undefeated Cardinal team would have been denied the #2 spot in the BCS rankings would have been a sudden and dramatic shift in the opinion polls, dropping the Cards out of the near year long top 10 ranking and deep into the teens or 20s.

The 2007 loss to Syracuse as a 34.5 favorite was (according to Teamrankings.com) was only the 7th time in 858 games dating back to the 2003 season that a 30 point or greater favorite actually lost the game. But the Cards had already shown their ineptness in a not too impressive win over MTSU and a giveaway loss to UK. That game (his 4th at Louisville) was the one that absolutely convinced me we had the wrong man.

If we extend that loss-as-a-huge-favorite metric to the 28 point mark (Saturday's closing line) we see a 28 point or greater favorite has lost outright only 16 times in 1101 such games. That is pretty ugly company and the Cards now own 2 such losses. But, for me, this one transcends the Syracuse loss and becomes the second worst loss in Cardinal football history.

And, FWIW, the Cats have now won 5 games in this series as a 'dawg including the 2 biggest upset wins (this year and +13 in 2002). It is a year away but the Cards will likely be a 'dawg in Lexington next year.

Well, I'm empty and it is time for another cup.

Peace

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News