ADVERTISEMENT

We will go as far as Wayne can take us

CardFanDad

700+
Mar 15, 2008
I said it at the beginning of the season, and I think its even more true now: How far the Cards go from here on depends on how well Wayne Blackshear plays. If we see the Wayne from Saturday--driving, dunking, shooting with confidence, NOT FOULING--then we have a good chance to beat both opponents this week, play in the ACC finals, and get to the second weekend of the NCAA. If we see the Wayne from NC State--zeros across with five fouls--then we probably only get one more win (in the first round of the NCAA).

Terry and Trezl will get theirs, Q will be OK, and we know what to expect from the 5. The open question is, can Wayne finish strong and lead us to a great finish?

I completely agree about Wayne and that is what concerns me about our ability to make a deep run. He often disappears in big games. We also have to get something from the bench; 8-10 points minimum.

I think the OP nailed it. We're going to need Wayne to do something in the next 4 weeks that he's never been able to do - and that's string together constently productive games against tourney caliber teams. Q and Onuaku need to step up, but they're given a pass as freshmen. It's on you Wayne.

I just have this feeling that Wayne will show up huge in the ACC and NCAA tourney. Don't count the ville out from the final four they are that good Go CARDS!!

I said this in a different thread, but it's worth repeating. I believe we will see a more consistent Wayne Blackshear now that Chris Jones is no longer on the team. I know it's just 1 game and I also know he doesn't have any type of history of showing consistent play, but this feels different this time around. This time it looks like everyone wants to pull together and play as a team NOW that Chris is gone. Wayne looked relaxed yet confident and his demeanor rippled throughout the roster IMO.

I can remember another small forward who had 4 fairly disappointing years then went nuts in his last post season run with the Cards. His name was Billy Thompson. Wouldn't it be awesome if Wayne could repeat what Billy did in 86?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Wayne has spent the last 4 years building capital and investment with this team...it's time for him to cash out. As far as I'm concerned, he can take as many shot as he want. He can miss it all night long as far as I'm concerned. More than anyone else on this team, he's earned that right.

Wayne was better than Davis coming out of high school. UK paid at least 200k for Davis for one year and we got Wayne for 4 years for free. Who got the last laugh?

Wayne is a soft role player, he's lucky to carry himself much less the team. He is a super soft kid with average talent and skill. I'm shocked he's tatted up, he hits me as more of a sweater and penny loafer guy!

Heard a caller on a local sports show recently refer to him as "lady eyes". Had to laugh at that one.

and right now it does not look like it's going to be too far. Pack lightly... this is shaping up to be a short trip.

Originally posted by ShortCreek:
Heard a caller on a local sports show recently refer to him as "lady eyes". Had to laugh at that one.
My guess is that "lady eyes" gets a whole hell of a lot more ladies than the caller.

Wayne is not mentally capable of leading a team. It's not in his DNA, and he isn't good enough with the ball to dictate to the defense if he was a leader. Thinking this team will go as far as Wayne takes them is silly. He's NEVER been the guy. He's not that guy.

This team will go as far as the match-ups allow MH to have big games for Louisville to compete in the paint and/or other players somehow, out of nowhere, shoot lights out. Blackshear will never go more than 2 impactful games in a row outside of rebounding.

In fact, if Blackshear does come up big, it's just a stroke of luck because you can't count on it going into a game.

He seems like a great guy, he's been great for the program, and part of the programs greatest run ever. He's a role player.

Originally posted by Cue Card:
I said this in a different thread, but it's worth repeating. I believe we will see a more consistent Wayne Blackshear now that Chris Jones is no longer on the team. I know it's just 1 game and I also know he doesn't have any type of history of showing consistent play, but this feels different this time around. This time it looks like everyone wants to pull together and play as a team NOW that Chris is gone. Wayne looked relaxed yet confident and his demeanor rippled throughout the roster IMO.

I can remember another small forward who had 4 fairly disappointing years then went nuts in his last post season run with the Cards. His name was Billy Thompson. Wouldn't it be awesome if Wayne could repeat what Billy did in 86?
3dgrin.r191677.gif
He played 5 years?

Thompson averaged more points in '85 than 86 as he was the leader on that team for sure while he still led the 86 team in points, and is the only player in the top 11 in scoring ,rebounding, and block shots in Louisville history. The disappointing player of that era was Manual Forest. I think he (Thompson) was behind the McCrays for his first two (one for sure) year(s).

He's considered the 11th best player in school history. Milt was the comeback player in '86.

To paraphrase a politician responding to Dan Quayle: I know Billy Thompson, and Wayne Blackshear . . . is no Billy Thompson

I'll always wonder how badly the shoulder injury derailed Wayne's career. On paper he was probably the best player coming out of HS that Rick had signed since Ron Mercer. It just never really seemed to click for him.

Originally posted by lawsonhawk:

3dgrin.r191677.gif
He played 5 years?

Thompson averaged more points in '85 than 86 as he was the leader on that team for sure while he still led the 86 team in points, and is the only player in the top 11 in scoring ,rebounding, and block shots in Louisville history. The disappointing player of that era was Manual Forest. I think he (Thompson) was behind the McCrays for his first two (one for sure) year(s).

He's considered the 11th best player in school history. Milt was the comeback player in '86.

To paraphrase a politician responding to Dan Quayle: I know Billy Thompson, and Wayne Blackshear . . . is no Billy Thompson
There is no comparison between Thompson and Blackshear. I was just hoping for a similar outcome that BT had as a senior for WB.

Thompson was the #1 rated HS recruit in his class, and while he had a really solid career at UofL, he never seemed to live up to that overall #1 rating out of HS. His senior year was good but he exploded in the NCAA tourney and just refused to let the Cards lose. He was on a mission. Period.

Also as you pointed out, that team was led by seniors and one very important freshman name Ellison. I don't think anyone is going to refute that or confuse the two teams or the two players.

Originally posted by lawsonhawk:

There is no comparison between Thompson and Blackshear. I was just hoping for a similar outcome that BT had as a senior for WB.

Thompson was the #1 rated HS recruit in his class, and while he had a really solid career at UofL, he never seemed to live up to that overall #1 rating out of HS. His senior year was good but he exploded in the NCAA tourney and just refused to let the Cards lose. He was on a mission. Period.

Also as you pointed out, that team was led by seniors and one very important freshman name Ellison. I don't think anyone is going to refute that or confuse the two teams or the two players.
The thing I loved about Thompson was this: it was uncanny how ANYTIME he was defending a two on one break he'd block the shot. It was money in the bank. Silly observation, but it got to where I'd laugh when the play evolved because I knew the other team was about to be disappointed.

Cue you are right about Billy T. He just exploded in February and the tournament when BT took his offensive game up a notch and knocked down consistently mid range jumpers off the dribble. He was also great bringing the ball up court or leading the fast break off a defensive rebound.
If Wayne can knock down 16-20 points in the tourney combined with good D and rebounding, TREZ and Wayne can be the modern day top forwards tandem in the tourney like Billy T and Superb Herb Crook were in 1986! Just do it Cards!

Wayne can help by hitting some timely threes and with his rebounding, but he is simply non effective with the ball. He can't create for himself, can't post up, he's a below average ball handler and passer, etc. You can win games in the NCAA tourney with a hot shooter, and Wayne can certainly win us games that way if he is hot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT