ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Game thread: Notre Dame at Louisville

PushupMan

25000+
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Noon on ESPN.

Cards are 12-5 in the conference and need a win tomorrow or a Florida State loss at Clemson (2pm on ACCN) to clinch the #4 seed and the last double bye.

Duke and Notre Dame are tied with 14-3 conference records, but Duke owns the tiebreaker. They win the number 1 seed with a win over North Carolina tomorrow.

Virginia Tech currently sits in 3rd with a 13-4 record. They own the tiebreaker over both UofL and FSU and have clinched at least the #3 seed.

Big game I am hoping we play as well today as we did at their place if so I think we win it. We have to focus and play good defense overall but really focus on Miles and Citron those are their go to players when they need a basket.

Reactions: PushupMan
So far a physical game not many fouls called but the first time we played it was rough the 1st half and the 2nd half they called touch fouls.

End of the first quarter down by 1 these 2 teams are so evenly matched it is hard to believe one is ranked so high and one isn’t.

Refs are not calling obvious contact on both teams but watch, in the 2nd half suddenly there will be whistles every minute. Looks like another game down to the wire.

Good finish up by 9 but if we remember anything from the Clemson game there are always 2 halves in every game.

Reactions: PushupMan
Great finish those last four minutes of the half. That was what you’d call a defensive slugfest. Already been said, but are the refs going to let all that bumping go in the second half like they did in the first?

Looks like she hyperextended her leg. Doubt there is any structural damage but her knee will tighten up. If she plays in the 2nd half I would be surprised if she's anything close to 100 percent. ND should probably sit her.

I agree I would not play her in the 2nd half there are bigger games ahead for ND. They need her to heal up for the tournament. I hated she is out though because I felt good about our chances before the game. Now if we win they will say it is because Miles went out.

Knee ligament injuries can be very deceiving. (I’ve torn the ACL in my right knee and the LCL and PCL in my left). They often look like nothing and happen with no physical contact.

All of that to say there’s no way to know except with a ligament stress test, then an X-ray and an MRI. From her reaction and the way she was walking afterwards, it did not look good.

We are doing really good considering we have gotten absolutely nothing from CC and Morgan. I hope our bench can continue to contribute like they are.

Another lucky 3 pointer by ND. This has just been one weird season. Walz has all of these players, depth everywhere, but he just can't find offensive consistency.

Reactions: Bardman
Refs just gave ND the win on that hedge foul on Cochran. Should give the two points to the ref. They weren't calling any of that in the 1st half, but under a minute to go in the game, they whistle a bump foul.

For some reason, this Louisville team just can't get over the hump.

This was identical to the first matchup we lead the whole game until the 4 /2 minute mark. The refs called nothing the first half and then call anything the 2nd half. Both teams played a good game especially our bench. I also thought Cochran and Dixon played a really good game. If we can get the same from our bench in every game and get Morgan and CC to contribute we will be OK.

Reactions: Deeva
well you guys gave our irish a good game but it was just our year to win the title. we are going to be even tougher to beat next year with 5 star and maybe the best PG in the nation Hannah Hildalgo coming in next fall and all other players coming back but Ebo. love this rivalry that we have with you guys

Actually CoolIrish, your best contribution continues to come each year from the ACC officials. We saw it at South Bend, and again in the 2nd half where you spent that half shooting FTs.

ND Women are very good, but the disparity of 2nd half FTs by way of the officials taking control of the game was the difference.

Reactions: Deeva
It's over boys and girls. ND without their best player entire second half and nothing from Morgan Jones and CC. And we started with such high hopes going into the season.

Actually CoolIrish, your best contribution continues to come each year from the ACC officials. We saw it at South Bend, and again in the 2nd half where you spent that half shooting FTs.

ND Women are very good, but the disparity of 2nd half FTs by way of the officials taking control of the game was the difference.
fouls went both ways as we got called for way more in the first half. it just came down to the fact that a former 5 star named Cinton took over and you guys had no answers for her but either way a great game between two solid wbb programs

Maybe if Coach Walz allowed Carr and Jones to do what they do best like he does Van Lith the offense would be more productive and not get bogged down waiting for HVL to get a touch. Just what is their roles supposed to be when they make mistakes and get benched and HVL doing the same remains in the game.

Basketball is still a game of size and our smaller guards are not going to dominate taller defenders.

This one is hard to figure. Louisville had the edge in practically all stats but the real difference was right here...

FG: ND: 24/51 (47.1%) UL 20/58 (34.5%)
3 PT ND: 4/10 UL 4/14

That reminds me something a guy named Denny Cum once said..."FG % is the most important stat of the game".

I don't know how this looks over the other 9 losses but I totally agree with Denny (and HiStepper that Basketball is still a game of size and our smaller guards are not going to dominate taller defenders. Good height (athletic height not modeling height :)) is much more common now and it makes a real difference in the girl's game.

Peace

Reactions: rh62531
I just don't understand why so many don't seem to know why Jones isn't playing more. The two on 93.9 FM are as clueless as anyone I've heard talk about Morgan Jones.

She's struggling offensively and this impares her defense. She misses way too many drives to the goal and her perimeter shot is nonexistent. The two on the radio lament her lack of playing time while they praise Russell's play.

Russell and Jones play the same position but Russell can shoot and plays better defense so Walz is giving her the minutes. Simple. It's not complicated.

CC not getting more minutes is the question. I know Walz needed to keep two bigs on the court but this team isn't going anywhere if CC isn't making 3 pointers. The two she missed today were forced and contested. Walz just figured ND wasn't going to let her shoot open 3's so he kept her on the bench.

As good as Kasa has been, she creates a dilemma for Walz as both CC and HVL and her are very short guards. Against bigger teams, he has to sacrifice one to the bench and that's CC.

Not all transfers work out. Jones has been a bust. She's so athletic but she has a poor shooting touch and she doesn't make up for this by doing other things exceptional.

Cards will most likely not make it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. I hope I'm wrong but despite having a deep and talented group of players, they just don't know how to put it all together.

It's just been a very weird season.

What does Coach walz want from two players that were major contributors and scorers on their former teams? Just rebound, play defense and pass the ball? That does not appear to be clear. Fans know what Jones is capable of becuase she lit us up for 32 points last season. Both are capable of going 1-5 in the fourth quarter like Van Lith did while shooting 29% for the game. Every Louisville loss has basically been the same way. The team loses defensive focus, makes unforced trunovers and our supposedly best player along with the others can't score when needed.

There were lots of bad shots by the Cards in this game including HVL. Quick shots by Cochran, Dixon and Harris clanked off the rim when the Cards were leading. I would rather see Kasa shoot perimeter shots than those three.

As for HVL, her competitiveness gets the best of her sometimes. After being slammed in the face, she wasn't the same in this game. She wanted to beat ND all by herself.

The Cards should have never lost this game once Miles went out for ND. They just seem to find a way to blow wins in the 4th quarter. Walz is just not pushing the right buttons with this group. It's bound to happen, even to the great ones.

It seems as if the only thing people are judging HVL by is her scoring but she gives so much more than that. She had 7 rebounds and handed out 7 assist and scored 23 points Today but yet you find fault in her game. CC had 2 points no assist and 4 turnovers and Morgan had a dismal game as well. Both Morgan and CC haven’t done anything the past couple of games. Outside of scoring neither players rebound or play defense very well, Morgan is hardly ever where she is supposed to be offensively or defensively.

Reactions: 2330859
Anyone watch the IU -Iowa game ? I salivate over those big, smooth and agile corn-fed girls. Go get 'em Jeffro - they're out there ! 😜

Reactions: rh62531
It seems as if the only thing people are judging HVL by is her scoring but she gives so much more than that. She had 7 rebounds and handed out 7 assist and scored 23 points Today but yet you find fault in her game. CC had 2 points no assist and 4 turnovers and Morgan had a dismal game as well. Both Morgan and CC haven’t done anything the past couple of games. Outside of scoring neither players rebound or play defense very well, Morgan is hardly ever where she is supposed to be offensively or defensively.
Yeah Kozmos didn't you know. When we win its because somebody balled like Mykasa or CC but when we lose its because HVL shot too many times... Its not because Konno or Mykasa are too timid to shoot so that late in the shot clock HVL takes it upon herself to make something happen, usually good things. Or maybe when HVL drives and puts the ball right in OC or Dixon's hands underneath the basket only to see them blow an easy putback.. maybe we should start counting that as a turnover on them. Yes, CJW has been mixing the lineup, he's still trying to find the right combination. It hasn't worked because ND is a bad matchup for us, size wise. We have 4 players 5-7 and shorter. CC was playing against someone 6 inches taller than her. She's not going to get her shot off against a taller player. Maybe if she had Ellis's skills but she's a set shooter, a damn good one but she has to have time and space. Walz has been letting whoever whether it was Dixon, Russell, Jones, whoever has been hot. Russell and Dixon have been lately and Jones has not. But yes, none of them have proved to be consistent. Does this team have issues, yes but we still backed into a double bye in the tournament, which means we had the 4th best record... Geez!

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I will say this (apologies... have not been on here in a while)... HVL is what she is. She is a scorer. I don't know and won't quote her win-shares for any and each game.. She is not the worst thing to happen to this team... She takes a lot of VERY bad shots... that is for sure... but real story of this game was that Notre Dame got us with their elite lenth. of the 7 players they used, only and I do mean ONLY Miles and Brandsford were UNDER 6'1"... Miles is 5'10" which is the equivalent of 6'2" or 6'3" in men's BBall. Their length at us up. They consistently went into the paint all game long and scored. HVL is 5'7"... they had 6'1" Citron on her, whenthey didn't put 6'2" Prosper on her... You look up and ND basically brought 4 LONG guards against the likes of Carr, HVL, Konno, andRobinson. Russell comes in for Jones... because, honestly, Jones is incompetent in Walz system. She came into the game and threw bad passes and got lost on defense. Carr, today, was no better. She came in, and tried to run the point. She can't. Her strengths are when she faces shorter guards or when someone can get her open. Well, HVL is not the blazing PG we want her to, so her driving to "embalance" opposing defenses like Dana, Hall, A. Smith, and K. Smith could do during previous years...is non-existent. Put a long athletic player on her, and she will suffer... She needs other faster, athletic players around her to help open up her shooting and driving.... I told the guys over on the other board, that this was not going to be an elite team of Jeff's... because the players he brought in got exposed from day one. We were hoping Jones could be the offensive equivalent of Engstler... she has not been. She has been a dissapointment. She thrives in a very open court offense where free wheeling is allowed. She can only drive to her right...and she is not a strong ball handler. Then you throw in the fact she is not a "Paint person" she is a wing.... Think of her as a less skilled version of Angel McCoughtry... Carr has not had a fraction of the impact that Hall has had. She can't run the team. She is a Russ SMith type player... who can put her mind to it for some good defense... but can't create her own shot... because, unlike Chelsea, she looks strong but is not that strong in her lower body... so she can't make tough drives like Dana and Chelsea would... Yes, I know we outrebounded ND... but Jeff's offense today was not very good. Its not very good because he does not have a lot of the pieces he has had before... with NIL and 1 time transfers... he may never get those pieces, which, he has been blessed to have by having players grow into his system. Right now we lack size. We have lacked size, all through out Jeff's tenure... at the guard spot. Tonight, Jeff tried different things to "keep things interesting". He had Harris guarding Citron for a bit... and Harris, God bless her soul, was up to the task, until a screen came and she had to switch. He tried 4 guards and 1 big... to try to get some speed on the floor... but we all know, Konno has regressed... Kasa is not a scorer, and HVL had a 6'1" or 6'2" person on her all game long. Hats off to ND coach..... hats off to the league... Louisville is down.. and its all on Jeff and staff to recruiter better size and athleticism in the portal. Jayln Broown is more of that future, as is Mobley. It sucks that Verhulst left... bvecause she was part of that future too. We don't have any elite size after this year, with Liz (who was abust at beginning but has come on SUPER strong to wards the end with 10 rbpg average in last 4 or 5 games) and Williams . If you think this year was rough... wait until next year...
I saw all of this after the 5th game of the season. I saw how we struggled to defend Gonzaga, and how we struggled to defend MTSU. We even struggled, at times to defend Cincy...and Bellarmine... at times... and could tell, that this was not going to be a dominant team like we have had before. This team was going to be a 10 loss, 2nd round out team...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT