ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball stays at #2

The #2 Cards did receive three first-place votes and finally broke the Texas monopoly on those votes. Again the long-term reputation of Texas and the fact that they did get to the national finals last year keep them solidly in first place.

Excuse the slight change of subject but I watched part of the Wisconsin v. Penn State volleyball game Saturday which went to five sets. The teams were quite impressive. I noticed that many times the setups were lower than in the Cards games, perhaps only a couple of feet above the net and the kills were done very quickly. It occurred to me that perhaps setups with a higher arc give potential blockers more of a chance to react. I am not very sophisticated about volleyball so I would like to see comments from posters about this.

The #2 Cards did receive three first-place votes and finally broke the Texas monopoly on those votes. Again the long-term reputation of Texas and the fact that they did get to the national finals last year keep them solidly in first place.

Excuse the slight change of subject but I watched part of the Wisconsin v. Penn State volleyball game Saturday which went to five sets. The teams were quite impressive. I noticed that many times the setups were lower than in the Cards games, perhaps only a couple of feet above the net and the kills were done very quickly. It occurred to me that perhaps setups with a higher arc give potential blockers more of a chance to react. I am not very sophisticated about volleyball so I would like to see comments from posters about this.
This is what situational setting is all about. It is about those less-than-ideal plays that require quick thinking from the setter.

For instance, if the ball is too tight to the net, the setter should jump above it and maintain the proper hand position. Squaring the hips allows for a quick set to the middle hitter. It is crucial that the jump is vertical, and that the feet get to the ball before jumping for it. The hands should be open, and the fingers spread so you can still control the ball.

In some cases, the setter will need to go for a single-handed set. The technique is pretty much the same. In these situations, it is just as important for the hitter to be quick and on time. If the hitter cannot go to the ball fast enough, the setter can go down to a lower stance or drop down to the knees. The goal is to create a small set to the middle hitter. To do this, the hips should turn into the court.

A high set to an outside setter gives them the advantage of soaring high above the defensive blockers to determine the best path to send a potential kill.

I hope this helps...

--sonja--

That is why I thought Chaussee was so effective in the match against Pitt. Instead of trying to go over the blockers she was hitting the ball quickly when it was barely over the net. She was also hitting it to the right of the blockers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT