ADVERTISEMENT

UVA vs UofL - Plays that changed the game....

Sultan__of__Swine

15000+
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004
I thought there were a key plays/decisions that drastically changed the fortunes of Louisville in today's game:
  • 4th & 11 at LOU 38 (0:57 - 2nd Q) - UVA 45 yd FG Missed - Louisville sends a player back to catch the FG if it is short. This happens and he runs it to the 20-yard line. Had they not caught the football UofL gets the ball at their own 38-yard line versus their 20-yard line. Louisville was still able to run 7-plays and get to the UVA 27-yard line before missing a 45 yd FG. The additional 18-yards could have proven to be very valuable in getting a closer FG or potentially scoring a TD. I just don't understand why they thought running it out of the endzone would prove to be beneficial.​

• 1st & 10 at LOU 25 (12:32 - 4th) Malik Cunningham deep pass to Harrell incomplete - While pass was one of the best I've seen Malik deliver down field it was unnecessary. UofL was up 10-points, with the ball, and 12:32 left. On the three previous series Hassan Hall had rushed for 100 yards! Which those drives resulted in a FG, TD, and FG. UVA had no answer for Hall. Opening up the drive with 12:32 left with a bomb pass to me was high risk and high reward. Running the ball with Hall was low risk and high reward. The missed completion on 1st down put UofL in the 2 & 10 situation that the offense has struggled with all year. On 2nd down instead of running the hot hand, Hall, Satterfield went to Mitchell who has shown no ability to run more than 5-yards per carry. He did just that and the Cards faced a very important 3rd & 5. Satterfield dialed up a pass play and it went incomplete and then a 4th down punt. Next series was a UVA 8-play 3:44 touchdown and slicing the lead to 3-points. This reminded me of the same situation against WF when Satterfield and the Cards had the ball the lead. Were running all over the WF defense and elected on a 1st down to throw a long pass the end zone which was dropped. While it too was a great pass that should have been caught, it wasn't and put the Cards in the all too familiar 2&10 and resulted in a punt giving WF the opportunity to drive the field and score a TD. When you know your defense is a liability, then sometimes your offense needs to become your defense. Running the ball and grinding down the clock while not as exciting for the fans or the players does the job. It could have last week and could have again assisted this porous defense again this week.​

• 3rd & 1 at LOU 34 (6:02 - 4th) Hassan Hall run for no gain at Louisville 34-yd line - While I appreciate that Satterfield was running the ball with Hall again, 9-yards on 1st down, no gain on 2&1, and no gain on 3&1, it was very frustrating seeing a QB that can't get under center and take a snap for a sneak. Running 2&1 and 3&1 plays from the pistol just defies logic to me. Also running stretch runs makes little sense to me. Surely this staff could have had something else in their playbook for these two plays.​

• 4th & 5 at UVA 22 (2:22 - 4th) James Turner kicks a 40-yd FG to put Cards up 6-points - This series was mismanaged in my opinion. 1st&10 run gained 1-yard with Hall. On 2&9 Trevion Cooley runs for 1-yard loss. Why Cooley here? Why a run? Before this run, he had 5 runs for 7-yards in the game. Why go away from Hall or Mitchell? Why not pass/QB run for Malik? Instead the Cards are 3&10. The 3rd down QB run nets 5-yards and puts the Cards in a 4th and 5 at the UVA 22 up 3-points. To me this is a situation where you look at your defense and realize you have a better chance making this first down than holding the UVA offense from scoring a TD. When UofL made the field goal and went up 6, I believe just about everyone in the stadium knew what was going to happen and it did happen. A 3-man rush that would allow for UVA to drive the field, run the clock, and score the tying TD and go ahead PAT. This was that same situation the Baltimore Ravens were in several weeks ago versus the Chiefs when up by less than a TD, they opted to go for it on a 4th down and ice the game. It worked for the Ravens and I believe had it not, the fans and media would have lauded Harbaugh for making the right decision knowing Mahomes would have most likely burned them.​

All perfect points. I was right there thinking the same thing on those plays. To me the most important thing Satterfield should have focused on was no 3 and outs. Had we ran 7 plays then punted, it would have probably used up enough time to hold on.

No call pass interference against UVA when the Cards threw it over the middle in the 4th Q on 3rd D was the play that sticks out to me. Should have been auto 1st D instead Cards had to punt and momentum went the other way. UVA mugged our guy.

Reactions: Mayoman
I thought there were a key plays/decisions that drastically changed the fortunes of Louisville in today's game:
  • 4th & 11 at LOU 38 (0:57 - 2nd Q) - UVA 45 yd FG Missed - Louisville sends a player back to catch the FG if it is short. This happens and he runs it to the 20-yard line. Had they not caught the football UofL gets the ball at their own 38-yard line versus their 20-yard line. Louisville was still able to run 7-plays and get to the UVA 27-yard line before missing a 45 yd FG. The additional 18-yards could have proven to be very valuable in getting a closer FG or potentially scoring a TD. I just don't understand why they thought running it out of the endzone would prove to be beneficial.​

• 1st & 10 at LOU 25 (12:32 - 4th) Malik Cunningham deep pass to Harrell incomplete - While pass was one of the best I've seen Malik deliver down field it was unnecessary. UofL was up 10-points, with the ball, and 12:32 left. On the three previous series Hassan Hall had rushed for 100 yards! Which those drives resulted in a FG, TD, and FG. UVA had no answer for Hall. Opening up the drive with 12:32 left with a bomb pass to me was high risk and high reward. Running the ball with Hall was low risk and high reward. The missed completion on 1st down put UofL in the 2 & 10 situation that the offense has struggled with all year. On 2nd down instead of running the hot hand, Hall, Satterfield went to Mitchell who has shown no ability to run more than 5-yards per carry. He did just that and the Cards faced a very important 3rd & 5. Satterfield dialed up a pass play and it went incomplete and then a 4th down punt. Next series was a UVA 8-play 3:44 touchdown and slicing the lead to 3-points. This reminded me of the same situation against WF when Satterfield and the Cards had the ball the lead. Were running all over the WF defense and elected on a 1st down to throw a long pass the end zone which was dropped. While it too was a great pass that should have been caught, it wasn't and put the Cards in the all too familiar 2&10 and resulted in a punt giving WF the opportunity to drive the field and score a TD. When you know your defense is a liability, then sometimes your offense needs to become your defense. Running the ball and grinding down the clock while not as exciting for the fans or the players does the job. It could have last week and could have again assisted this porous defense again this week.​

• 3rd & 1 at LOU 34 (6:02 - 4th) Hassan Hall run for no gain at Louisville 34-yd line - While I appreciate that Satterfield was running the ball with Hall again, 9-yards on 1st down, no gain on 2&1, and no gain on 3&1, it was very frustrating seeing a QB that can't get under center and take a snap for a sneak. Running 2&1 and 3&1 plays from the pistol just defies logic to me. Also running stretch runs makes little sense to me. Surely this staff could have had something else in their playbook for these two plays.​

• 4th & 5 at UVA 22 (2:22 - 4th) James Turner kicks a 40-yd FG to put Cards up 6-points - This series was mismanaged in my opinion. 1st&10 run gained 1-yard with Hall. On 2&9 Trevion Cooley runs for 1-yard loss. Why Cooley here? Why a run? Before this run, he had 5 runs for 7-yards in the game. Why go away from Hall or Mitchell? Why not pass/QB run for Malik? Instead the Cards are 3&10. The 3rd down QB run nets 5-yards and puts the Cards in a 4th and 5 at the UVA 22 up 3-points. To me this is a situation where you look at your defense and realize you have a better chance making this first down than holding the UVA offense from scoring a TD. When UofL made the field goal and went up 6, I believe just about everyone in the stadium knew what was going to happen and it did happen. A 3-man rush that would allow for UVA to drive the field, run the clock, and score the tying TD and go ahead PAT. This was that same situation the Baltimore Ravens were in several weeks ago versus the Chiefs when up by less than a TD, they opted to go for it on a 4th down and ice the game. It worked for the Ravens and I believe had it not, the fans and media would have lauded Harbaugh for making the right decision knowing Mahomes would have most likely burned them.​

I think another huge play, and the LAST PLAY THAT ENDED UP CAUSING US THE GAME WAS THE DECISION ON 4TH AND 6 TO PLAY PREVENT DEFENSE WITH LIKE 40 SOMETHING SECONDS LEFT, AND WITH THEM HAVING 0 TIME OUTS. IT'S LIKE CLEARLY BRYAN BROWN GOT CONFUSED IN THE MOMENT, AT LEAST ON GIVING HIM THAT OUT, THAT HE THOUGHT THEY NEEDED THE TOUCHDOWN OR SOMETHING, BUT NO THEY JUST NEEDED 6 FREAKING YARDS. SO YA THEY THROW A 10 YD PASS, THEN SPIKE THE BALL, AND FROM THEN THEY JUST MOVED STRAIGHT DOWN THE FIELD AND SCORED. WHY THE HELL ARE WE PLAYING PREVENT ON 4TH AND 6. WE DIDN'T RUSH ANYBODY AT ALL, JUST HAD 3 LINE MAN. AND THEY HAD ALL DAY TO GET THAT 6 YARDS. I WAS SCREAMING AT MY TV BEFORE THE BALL WAS EVEN SNAPPED. I KNEW IT WAS OVER THEN. THAT BEND DON'T BREAK DEFENSE ALLOWED SOME GUY TO HAVE ALMOST 500 YDS PASSING. JUST SIMPLY PATHETIC PERFORMANCE AT THE END BY THE COACHES OF PUTTING THE PLAYERS IN THE EXACT POSITION TO GIVE THIS GAME UP. PATHETIC.

Reactions: vivid_red
Well said Sultan; I pointed to those same plays as questionable decisions by Scott. With that said, as much as I do not like the timing of that deep route to Harrell, if he hangs on to that very well thrown and catchable pass …… the outcome would have been different.

I believe Satterfield must have been most surprised by witnessing Malik’s inability to get the 3rd down short yardage keepers so often against the UVA a plan to contain him.

I am sure most would agree with the one FG that gave us the 6 point lead, but I was doing the quick math and felt like it played right into UVA’s plan; as they were in 4 down mentality that changes everything. I had no expectation that we could keep UVA from completing the required 10 yards for 1st downs, knowing they would have 4 downs to accomplish that mission.

Rather than getting that 3 point FG, I would have tried another 4th down offensive play before giving UVA another offensive series to take the lead with a TD.

Well said Sultan; I pointed to those same plays as questionable decisions by Scott. With that said, as much as I do not like the timing of that deep route to Harrell, if he hangs on to that very well thrown and catchable pass …… the outcome would have been different.

I believe Satterfield must have been most surprised by witnessing Malik’s inability to get the 3rd down short yardage keepers so often against the UVA a plan to contain him.

I am sure most would agree with the one FG that gave us the 6 point lead, but I was doing the quick math and felt like it played right into UVA’s plan; as they were in 4 down mentality that changes everything. I had no expectation that we could keep UVA from completing the required 10 yards for 1st downs, knowing they would have 4 downs to accomplish that mission.

Rather than getting that 3 point FG, I would have tried another 4th down offensive play before giving UVA another offensive series to take the lead with a TD.
I was telling everyone around me the same thing at the same time.

I think another huge play, and the LAST PLAY THAT ENDED UP CAUSING US THE GAME WAS THE DECISION ON 4TH AND 6 TO PLAY PREVENT DEFENSE WITH LIKE 40 SOMETHING SECONDS LEFT, AND WITH THEM HAVING 0 TIME OUTS. IT'S LIKE CLEARLY BRYAN BROWN GOT CONFUSED IN THE MOMENT, AT LEAST ON GIVING HIM THAT OUT, THAT HE THOUGHT THEY NEEDED THE TOUCHDOWN OR SOMETHING, BUT NO THEY JUST NEEDED 6 FREAKING YARDS. SO YA THEY THROW A 10 YD PASS, THEN SPIKE THE BALL, AND FROM THEN THEY JUST MOVED STRAIGHT DOWN THE FIELD AND SCORED. WHY THE HELL ARE WE PLAYING PREVENT ON 4TH AND 6. WE DIDN'T RUSH ANYBODY AT ALL, JUST HAD 3 LINE MAN. AND THEY HAD ALL DAY TO GET THAT 6 YARDS. I WAS SCREAMING AT MY TV BEFORE THE BALL WAS EVEN SNAPPED. I KNEW IT WAS OVER THEN. THAT BEND DON'T BREAK DEFENSE ALLOWED SOME GUY TO HAVE ALMOST 500 YDS PASSING. JUST SIMPLY PATHETIC PERFORMANCE AT THE END BY THE COACHES OF PUTTING THE PLAYERS IN THE EXACT POSITION TO GIVE THIS GAME UP. PATHETIC.
Haven’t seen the game replay yet, so I don’t know for sure. Did UVA substitute after 3rd down? Was UVA playing “hurry-up” between 3rd and 4th down? The answer to those two questions are critical, because those are how the offense dictates what changes/substitutions a defense can make between 3rd and 4th down.

Yep, go for it on 4th down at the end of the game in that position at that spot on the field. Kicking the field goal (which is not a given, as we all know) just gives you a 6 point lead. You lose if/when they score a touchdown. Even if you don't pick up the 4th down, it puts the other team in field goal mode to tie the game; not 4th down mode where they have to go for the TD. (Also, thought the QB bootleg with a pitch man was the better option instead of running just to use up the clock. Go for the 3rd down like you want it, then go for the 4th down. All of the other points are irrelevant if you play this series better. jmo

Sometimes kids have to make plays at key times. They just aren’t doing it at critical moments. They do everything right to kick a field goal at the end of each half. They win the game if he hits 1 of the 2 field goals. He just missed them. He is been a damn good kicker until this year. Now he has no confidence in those big moments. It happens. I am sure the kid is devastated which is part of his position.

Since he missed them now everything else is put under a microscope when game wise the coaches and players did everything to put them in a position to win. Really what else can we ask for? It is incredibly disappointing and frustrating. The play has been solid just incredible inconsistent.

Reactions: Mayoman
Try screaming at the game instead of at your TV. We need the noise!

Sometimes kids have to make plays at key times. They just aren’t doing it at critical moments. They do everything right to kick a field goal at the end of each half. They win the game if he hits 1 of the 2 field goals. He just missed them. He is been a damn good kicker until this year. Now he has no confidence in those big moments. It happens. I am sure the kid is devastated which is part of his position.

Since he missed them now everything else is put under a microscope when game wise the coaches and players did everything to put them in a position to win. Really what else can we ask for? It is incredibly disappointing and frustrating. The play has been solid just incredible inconsistent.
They were 49 yard field goals. That's not a given for most college kickers.

Reactions: Deeva
The analytics say that we should’ve gone for it on fourth down. You get first down and win % probability approaches 100%. Making a field goal nominally improved our win % probability in that scenario.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT