ADVERTISEMENT

USC FIRES Helton - The Carousel BEGINS!

LeFors4Ever

3500+
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2017
The big name has made their decision, now is where it get interesting for us. When you decide on a change, you have to evaluate who you will be able to bring in and if the market is going to get you the right guy. When a USC opens their job, it really causes a shift as they have the ability to take another bigger program coach and make it go crazy.

Like for example, they could get James Franklin which in turn opens up Penn State. Then Michigan might be right behind them in looking for a coach. Nebraska too? Matt Campbell from Iowa State will be a hot name and Fleck at Minnesota. Then say we fire Satt?

We're in a market competing with programs like Iowa State, Cincy, Minnesota, etc. to go along with USC, Michigan, or a Penn State. This is where it gets crazy. Because coordinators will start flying and moving up and the Coastal Carolina, Liberty, etc. will have their coaches be in top position for big programs.

This matters to us folks. Buckle up!

I doubt we find out anything for sure until after bowl season. There will be the normal list of names thrown out and the bidding war will start.
Wouldnt shock to see names like Franklin, even Leach thrown out there.
No Kiffen....that's gone.
All depends on how much USC wants to invest.
In other hot spots, some are predicting Scott Frost will be next. Sarkesian is likely already warm seated at Texas...I know, but it is Texas.

Reactions: gocds
Fickell and Cronin both ending up in LA is crazy to think about
I hadn't even thought about that.

I would have bet a billion dollars that Mick Cronin would fail at UCLA too.

I mean you have to think Fickell or Matt Cambell is the hire here. Fickell makes sense unless you factor in that he's a born and bred mid-westerner and he just doesn't want to be on the West Coast. This is an elite job and I can't imagine a program of USCs caliber coming open any time in the next 2-3 years. Both could gamble on them going after James Franklin and then try and get the Penn State job but I don't know why Franklin would leave PSU for USC. He's a Pennsylvania guy anyway.

IF Luke leaves and that's a BIG if, it would be for OSU or Michigan. Only.

IF Luke leaves and that's a BIG if, it would be for OSU or Michigan. Only.

I can't imagine he would ever take the Michigan job but more importantly I can't ever see Michigan going after him. Luke isn't dumb enough to think that the OSU job is one that will be open anytime soon. I can't imagine he's that narrowly focused on his career...his name and brand will take a hit once they get into the Big 12 so his shine has a ticking clock.

No really big fish is going after stoopes at kentucky. USC has been having a lot of trouble finding the right coach lately. Are there any hot names out there right now? All the can't miss coaches of a few years ago are having trouble at their new jobs. I wonder if USC might go back into the pro ranks for their next coach. They're smart to get an early start. I hope they hire another lemon!

Reactions: Mayoman
Odd move likely spurred on as much by UCLA success as anything. Schools and coaches make odd decisions every year.
Two or three years later we see how it works. Pruitt was a bad fit at Tennessee..and Fulmer named AD was a recipe for trouble. Frost at Nebraska seemed a home run. Never know.
Never knew much about Satterfield but he had been a winner. Stoops was a solid name but certainly looked like a bust 4 years in.
Lotta hard work, lotta luck in getting a coach.

Reactions: Mayoman
Pretty sure Michigan did that to WVU with Rich Rod and Beilein.
I'll never fully understand Rich Rod. I think he was a good coach, but I just wonder if like Charlie at Texas that Michigan just broke him as a person. Went from being the man in WVU to having 0 support and being pushed outta town. He didn't do awful at Arizona, won the Fiesta Bowl, but he just lacked that aggression.

Speaking of Rodriguez, he's the OC at ULM..under Terry Bowden. I know nobody on this board wants to hear it.....BUT if the Satterfield attempt fails and you go looking, that's a guy that knows the recruiting and coaching ropes and knows what doesn't work in a program. Before I get banned or laughed off, U of L took a chance on a re run of a coach with a ruined reputation everywhere...and Petrino was never a recruiting genius at anything but offense.

Speaking of Rodriguez, he's the OC at ULM..under Terry Bowden. I know nobody on this board wants to hear it.....BUT if the Satterfield attempt fails and you go looking, that's a guy that knows the recruiting and coaching ropes and knows what doesn't work in a program. Before I get banned or laughed off, U of L took a chance on a re run of a coach with a ruined reputation everywhere...and Petrino was never a recruiting genius at anything but offense.
Its not insane......its not my favorite option but he did do "ok" at Arizona and was great WVU. He had some NCAA violations and failed big time at Michigan.

I would rather go the high major coordinator route than a twice fired coach. It will depend on what opens between now and December. We can expect Nebraska - maybe Michigan. I think FSU will probably want to fire Norvell but won't be able to. But who knows if any of the guys that we could realistically get would be on any of those programs radar.

I think Vince will have a big decision to make at the end of the year and what some other schools do may force him to lean one way or the other. Absolute best case scenario for this team is one that still leaves the fan base angry and unhappy.

I can't imagine he would ever take the Michigan job but more importantly I can't ever see Michigan going after him. Luke isn't dumb enough to think that the OSU job is one that will be open anytime soon. I can't imagine he's that narrowly focused on his career...his name and brand will take a hit once they get into the Big 12 so his shine has a ticking clock.
Let OSU lose another game or two this year and who knows what could happen there? Buckeye fans be like crazy man!!!

He was a rumored candidate when Charlie left for Texas. Jurich passed.

Reactions: billoliver40
They actually will make Stoops their top priority if they can get him to listen. Bob Stoops that is lol. That would be my #1 call and I'd offer him whatever he wanted.
I think Bob would have gotten back into coaching by now. I think he's retired for good. Once a coach gets burned out they seldom coach again.

I think Bob would have gotten back into coaching by now. I think he's retired for good. Once a coach gets burned out they seldom coach again.
He was a coach and GM in the XFL right before he pandemic so he wasn’t retired.

Coaching hires are tricky. It is much about fit as it is ability. There are countless hires that weren’t good fits. The Brohm rejection was bad because he fit. I think he didn’t really understand the importance of fit to his career.

The tricky part is how much time to give a coach. USC was too patient with Helton. With all their resources a good coaches should be successful in 3 years. Louisville has to be more patient unless the coach isn’t on the same page.

I thought year 4 was the put up year for Satterfield. He created the urgency in year 3 with the South Carolina issue. Then his 3 main guys leave him on offense. Now it is all on him. Now he has to start over with the offensive. Not only is having to coach players he has to do the same with staff. Coaching continuity matters at programs like Louisville.

As AD you can’t project how a coach will fit into your University or community. Satterfield was going to get 4 years now I am not sure that is going to happen. Friday night is huge for him.

Coaching hires are tricky. It is much about fit as it is ability. There are countless hires that weren’t good fits. The Brohm rejection was bad because he fit. I think he didn’t really understand the importance of fit to his career.

The tricky part is how much time to give a coach. USC was too patient with Helton. With all their resources a good coaches should be successful in 3 years. Louisville has to be more patient unless the coach isn’t on the same page.

I thought year 4 was the put up year for Satterfield. He created the urgency in year 3 with the South Carolina issue. Then his 3 main guys leave him on offense. Now it is all on him. Now he has to start over with the offensive. Not only is having to coach players he has to do the same with staff. Coaching continuity matters at programs like Louisville.

As AD you can’t project how a coach will fit into your University or community. Satterfield was going to get 4 years now I am not sure that is going to happen. Friday night is huge for him.

Absolutely. I think Satterfield's actions over the last year has basically cost himself a year of rebuilding. I'm of the opinion that all of the guys who sat out last year did so because of the atmosphere around the program and because of Satterfield and that was evident to me with how he handled it. I mean players like Javian Hawkins and Tutu Atwell aren't fooling anyone when they say they're sitting out to prepare for the draft, especially Hawkins. I think the atmosphere answer is also evident because of the sheer number of transfers over the last 2 years, guys that gave him a chance but left anyway. I think this combined with the way he handled the USCjr job which I think caused the coaching exodus, has basically forced Vince's hand. Your coach can't keep shooting himself in the foot off the field and not delivering on the field and expect to last.

I think if Satterfield wins 5 games or less he's 100% fired. If he wins 6 but loses to UK and gets blown out a few more times this year - I think he's probably fired too. If he wins 6 but is only blown out by Clemson - probably gets another year. If he wins more than 6 he's 100% safe.

For Louisville its about talent and fit. Louisville desperately needs to steal a high major coordinator to be the next coach, a coordinator that has recruiting connections from their current position. Louisville DESPERATELY needs an influx of talent. We're in year 3 and I would say while UofL's talent has improved over CSS tenure its nowhere near to being near where it needs to be after 3 cycles and its not getting better. Fit wise I would like to see UofL hire a younger coach who actually has some personality and will embrace the rivalry, the local talent and the media.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I think Satterfield's actions over the last year has basically cost himself a year of rebuilding. I'm of the opinion that all of the guys who sat out last year did so because of the atmosphere around the program and because of Satterfield and that was evident to me with how he handled it. I mean players like Javian Hawkins and Tutu Atwell aren't fooling anyone when they say they're sitting out to prepare for the draft, especially Hawkins. I think the atmosphere answer is also evident because of the sheer number of transfers over the last 2 years, guys that gave him a chance but left anyway. I think this combined with the way he handled the USCjr job which I think caused the coaching exodus, has basically forced Vince's hand. Your coach can't keep shooting himself in the foot off the field and not delivering on the field and expect to last.

I think if Satterfield wins 5 games or less he's 100% fired. If he wins 6 but loses to UK and gets blown out a few more times this year - I think he's probably fired too. If he wins 6 but is only blown out by Clemson - probably gets another year. If he wins more than 6 he's 100% safe.

For Louisville its about talent and fit. Louisville desperately needs to steal a high major coordinator to be the next coach, a coordinator that has recruiting connections from their current position. Louisville DESPERATELY needs an influx of talent. We're in year 3 and I would say while UofL's talent has improved over CSS tenure its nowhere near to being near where it needs to be after 3 cycles and its not getting better. Fit wise I would like to see UofL hire a younger coach who actually has some personality and will embrace the rivalry, the local talent and the media.
They aren't firing him with 6 wins. They return to much to just start all over next year. 6 wins with a rebuilt staff and young roster going forward would be big for stability and recruiting.

He inherited a 2-10 worst program in the nation. He got them to 8-5 in his first year. He had a rough year 2 with COVID and other craziness. If by year 3 we're a 6 win team in a bowl considering what we lost last season, then I'll have more faith in CSS going forward. I really didn't have too high expectations for this team as I said, I don't see the proven talent yet, so 6 wins with this group would be good coaching in my opinion.

4-8 is probably the line you make the move. 5-7 can be tricky, but it depends on if it's a good looking 5-7 or a no hope ugly 5-7. The only reason we fire Scott is if we see that it's going to be ugly going forward, like 3-9 2-10 type years going forward. Even if we feel like he's a 6-8 win coach max, we can't just scrap our program for another unproven coordinator or mid-major coach. If we hit the reset button, AGAIN, then it better be for the right reason.

They aren't firing him with 6 wins. They return to much to just start all over next year. 6 wins with a rebuilt staff and young roster going forward would be big for stability and recruiting.

He inherited a 2-10 worst program in the nation. He got them to 8-5 in his first year. He had a rough year 2 with COVID and other craziness. If by year 3 we're a 6 win team in a bowl considering what we lost last season, then I'll have more faith in CSS going forward. I really didn't have too high expectations for this team as I said, I don't see the proven talent yet, so 6 wins with this group would be good coaching in my opinion.

4-8 is probably the line you make the move. 5-7 can be tricky, but it depends on if it's a good looking 5-7 or a no hope ugly 5-7. The only reason we fire Scott is if we see that it's going to be ugly going forward, like 3-9 2-10 type years going forward. Even if we feel like he's a 6-8 win coach max, we can't just scrap our program for another unproven coordinator or mid-major coach. If we hit the reset button, AGAIN, then it better be for the right reason.

I agree to an extent. I was very pro CSS when we hired him but now I simply do not think he's the right man for the job here. His play calling has neither adapted nor innovated in any way despite his roster makeup changing drastically, he's trying to re-create App State at Louisville and while that may work in the mid-major you aren't winning like that in the ACC. His personality and demeanor seem to be more suited for a smaller, rural school and I honestly think thats what he wants. He's made NO headway in recruiting, there's NO momentum in recruiting here in the state or anywhere for that matter.

There is just nothing positive going on with his program and there hasn't been for over a year and I just don't see how winning 5 games will get anyone excited about his 4th year.

I agree to an extent. I was very pro CSS when we hired him but now I simply do not think he's the right man for the job here. His play calling has neither adapted nor innovated in any way despite his roster makeup changing drastically, he's trying to re-create App State at Louisville and while that may work in the mid-major you aren't winning like that in the ACC. His personality and demeanor seem to be more suited for a smaller, rural school and I honestly think thats what he wants. He's made NO headway in recruiting, there's NO momentum in recruiting here in the state or anywhere for that matter.

There is just nothing positive going on with his program and there hasn't been for over a year and I just don't see how winning 5 games will get anyone excited about his 4th year.
I was against him because I knew this rebuild would be more like a 4-5 year job and that we'd be too frustrated. He isn't the guy to have a quick rebuild and isn't loading up on talent to ease concerns. We literally have nothing in the junior, senior, and rs senior groups other than Jucos, transfers and Bobby leftovers. We are feeling that talent and experience crunch now. He has a solid group of freshman and sophomores, but they aren't elite talent that can compete day 1.

I don't know if he is the guys long term, but getting rid of him when this was an uphill battle to begin with will make this a very unattractive situation considering the lack of talent. We'll lose most of his class and have some transfers. That'll mean another lost year of recruiting and another year of waiting.

Now if he's just awful you gotta cut him loose, but 5-7 with all of his guys being freshman and sophomores means that it's a solid core to build around the next 2 seasons. Now we aren't gonna compete with Clemson, but I think people underestimate how bad this program needs some stability for a bit.

Fire him after 6 wins in year 3 with year 1 being ACC coach of the year and you're gonna need some rolaids when you start seeing the guys interviewing for this job.

Reactions: PHCARD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT