ADVERTISEMENT

Urinal Headline

Didn't see Roy or Rick on the committee. Wonder why? Too busy? Too old?
Didn’t see anything in this thread that had anything to do with Rick or Roy. Nice ‘whataboutism’ deflection though.

David Padgett is The Cards’ coach and my guess is that Roy is somewhere polishing his new NCAA Championship trophy and helping Luke Maye perfect his ‘killer’ jump shot.

Last edited:
Go back and read the article. Better yet, have someone else read it , then explain it to you.

What part of Roy Williams and two others who will join Cal on the committee, Mark Few and Tom Izzo do you not get?

Open the link and click on the committee formed. (blue letters), then tell me what you read.
No Roy, no K, no RP, no Self, ...a very interesting committee....
P.S. someone read it to me and explained it.:rolleyes:

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...coaches-nabc-committee-fbi-scandal/928781001/

Can Coach Cow help fix college basketball's problems? Wow! Does nobody call out the insanity of that question?
I'll ask, so what is the insanity of that question?

I’ll answer it. The FBI hasn’t completed their investigation. So no one inside basketball is qualified to help resolve the problem. There’s still a chance your beloved University and coach may be dragged into this crap. No one in college BB is clean no one. It’s only to what degree or methods they use. If you think otherwise you’re naive.

Reactions: American Male
I'll ask, so what is the insanity of that question?
Just curious, is Cousin’s mom still living in the nice house in Lexington? It’s the American way for someone to be poor until their kid signs with a college. Lol

Reactions: zipp
I’ll answer it. The FBI hasn’t completed their investigation. So no one inside basketball is qualified to help resolve the problem. There’s still a chance your beloved University and coach may be dragged into this crap. No one in college BB is clean no one. It’s only to what degree or methods they use. If you think otherwise you’re naive.
I'm not sure they can't help at this point. Whether their hands are dirty or not, they know what's going on and may well come up with a useful plan.

Open the link and click on the committee formed. (blue letters), then tell me what you read.
No Roy, no K, no RP, no Self, ...a very interesting committee....
P.S. someone read it to me and explained it.:rolleyes:
My apologies. I was in error.

It was only after going to Norlander's referenced article on CBS Sports that it specifically mentioned Roy's exclusion was likely due to the indiscretions at UNC. Sorry, but I am an old fashioned guy who relies on the written word rather than highlighted links. IMO the language in the C-J left that open to interpretation. No such issue when Billy Reed was there.

Reactions: poppycat
Fits right in with the insane time we are living in right now. Where up is down and when in doubt, of course do the opposite of what you think is right.
Izzo's statement is the most damning of all. He implies that everyone is dirty and everyone knows what the other's dirt is. Thus, if they get together, he wonders if they will going to continue to wink at each other and pretend, or will they be honest and try to fix the mess.

Cal's statement was his usual "for the kids" B.S. Pampering them in the Coal Lodge while they do the minimum academically to stay eligible is not "what's best for them."

Izzo's statement is the most damning of all. He implies that everyone is dirty and everyone knows what the other's dirt is. Thus, if they get together, he wonders if they will going to continue to wink at each other and pretend, or will they be honest and try to fix the mess.

Cal's statement was his usual "for the kids" B.S. Pampering them in the Coal Lodge while they do the minimum academically to stay eligible is not "what's best for them."
I don't really mind the Cal hate but statements like this simply aren't true. Cals teams perform very well in class. Our APR, like Louisvilles, is perfect over the past 4 years. As for GPA, almost every semester the basketball team is over 3.0.

I don't really mind the Cal hate but statements like this simply aren't true. Cals teams perform very well in class. Our APR, like Louisvilles, is perfect over the past 4 years. As for GPA, almost every semester the basketball team is over 3.0.

This isn’t true exactly. While Cals players perform well per you it’s not the whole story. If I remember correctly the OAD aren’t counted (NCAA) since their only their for a year. So it’s not a fair assessment. Although the University may publish that I don’t think that’s how the NCAA sees it. Their graduation rate is absolutely a detriment because that isn’t anywhere close to UofL graduation rate.

Last edited:
My apologies. I was in error.

It was only after going to Norlander's referenced article on CBS Sports that it specifically mentioned Roy's exclusion was likely due to the indiscretions at UNC. Sorry, but I am an old fashioned guy who relies on the written word rather than highlighted links. IMO the language in the C-J left that open to interpretation. No such issue when Billy Reed was there.

Know what you mean.........I'm 76. We might agree on many things if it were not for the colors...RED....BLUE:D

Could you imagine the threats a professor would get from your clan if they flunked a star player? Automatic A

Reactions: zipp
You do realize that on our board, whether you mind or not is totally irrelevant. But, a fan of a BSing coach would likely bring up BS measures to support.

But, since you brought it up, APR does not measure academic performance in the classroom or whether or not someone will graduate. The APR score come from 1) being eligible and 2) being in school.
To be eligible, a student athlete has to take 6 credits per semester which is basically being a part time student. They also don't have to declare a major until sophomore year, so they can take all 101 level courses if they will leave at the end of their sophomore year. So, having an excellent APR only means that most of your athletes are doing the minimum to stay eligible. Plus minimum GPA for a student to be eligible is set by the school.

The GPA you speak of is an average of the players, including those who never see the court. If your OADs or departing sophomores are getting a C or D while taking only two 101 level courses, it gets offset by your other guys who take a full load and get higher grades.

Again, your data can prove nothing more than players doing the minimum to stay eligible.

You do realize that on our board, whether you mind or not is totally irrelevant. But, a fan of a BSing coach would likely bring up BS measures to support.

But, since you brought it up, APR does not measure academic performance in the classroom or whether or not someone will graduate. The APR score come from 1) being eligible and 2) being in school.
To be eligible, a student athlete has to take 6 credits per semester which is basically being a part time student. They also don't have to declare a major until sophomore year, so they can take all 101 level courses if they will leave at the end of their sophomore year. So, having an excellent APR only means that most of your athletes are doing the minimum to stay eligible. Plus minimum GPA for a student to be eligible is set by the school.

The GPA you speak of is an average of the players, including those who never see the court. If your OADs or departing sophomores are getting a C or D while taking only two 101 level courses, it gets offset by your other guys who take a full load and get higher grades.

Again, your data can prove nothing more than players doing the minimum to stay eligible.
Sure, it's your board but wrong is wrong. I'll show you in a bit.

Ok, you're incorrect on the hours first off. They have to take 12 hours per semester to remain eligible. I think they only have to pass 6 hours, but that isn't very relevant. So, UK has 3 guys who likely help inflate the team GPA and 11 scholarship guys who play. Pretty much every school has walkons for this purpose. That gives UK a roster of 14. If the 3 walkons take a course load of 18 hours and all 3 pull a 4.0 then to get to the 3.0 the basketball team typically averages, the 11 scholarship guys are keeping a GPA of over 2.5.

Ok, you're incorrect on the hours first off. They have to take 12 hours per semester to remain eligible. I think they only have to pass 6 hours, but that isn't very relevant. So, UK has 3 guys who likely help inflate the team GPA and 11 scholarship guys who play. Pretty much every school has walkons for this purpose. That gives UK a roster of 14. If the 3 walkons take a course load of 18 hours and all 3 pull a 4.0 then to get to the 3.0 the basketball team typically averages, the 11 scholarship guys are keeping a GPA of over 2.5.
Nice job: You did a great job of showing us all something that is wrong.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-progress-toward-degree-requirements
They only have to carry 6 hours to be eligible. It actually works out pretty well with all of the traveling.
To continue after sophomores year, they will need to have shown an amount of progress towards a degree. They can take a summer class or two if they are behind, but if they don't plan to stay past the sophomore year, then there is no need. They just have to do the minimum to stay eligible
So, go back and re-check your math.

Nice job: You did a great job of showing us all something that is wrong.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-progress-toward-degree-requirements
They only have to carry 6 hours to be eligible. It actually works out pretty well with all of the traveling.
To continue after sophomores year, they will need to have shown an amount of progress towards a degree. They can take a summer class or two if they are behind, but if they don't plan to stay past the sophomore year, then there is no need. They just have to do the minimum to stay eligible
So, go back and re-check your math.
My math is fine. There is a difference in progress towards a degree and credit hours required. There are myriad links I could post, this one is from Michigan State. It states requirements for the NCAA and MSU. 12 hours is required.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...1BqwQFghUMAU&usg=AOvVaw1JWJqr1slPJfcDOgJIY3Tp

I bet Calimari’s son makes good grades. Is that why he’s on the team? Cause he ain’t no OAD. He may be the only guy who goes 4 years.

My math is fine. There is a difference in progress towards a degree and credit hours required. There are myriad links I could post, this one is from Michigan State. It states requirements for the NCAA and MSU. 12 hours is required.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://msu.edu/~msuncaa/NCAA%20Big%20Ten%20Eligibility%20Chart.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjVtMDhlvzXAhXvSd8KHXg1BqwQFghUMAU&usg=AOvVaw1JWJqr1slPJfcDOgJIY3Tp
All we have to do is look at the title of this document: "Big Ten & NCAA Requirements...."I showed the NCAA requirements, this shows what the Big Ten Requires. (While we are looking at it: GPA of 1.8? Really?)

Conferences and schools are free to add additional requirements. Remember, my point that you are attempting to counter was about Kentucky doing the minimum to keep basketball players eligible without concern for graduation. UK, being in the SEC, does not have to follow Big Ten requirements. Curious that among the myriad links you could post, you posted that one.

In our discussion here, the only meaningful difference between credits required and progress towards a degree is that progress towards a degree does not matter if you are only there for basketball.
However, the NCAA calls their guidelines for continuing eligibility "progress towards graduation" and those guidelines contains the minimum number of credits required. So the document that I posted is relevant.

Nonetheless, I will give you that your math is fine. You need to redo it because the facts that you used to choose your numbers were wrong.

Last edited:
Those aren't B1G rules, they are NCAA rules. The 6 hours you're referring to is passing, as I stated in the firest post.

Here is Georgia, they are all the same by the way. http://www.georgiadogs.com/news/2006/7/19/General_Eligibility_Rules.aspx

They must enroll enroll in at least 12 hours, must pass 6 hours (the six you keep referring to) in the 1st semester and must pass 18 hours in the first 2 semesters.

It's the same for all D1 athletes.

Those aren't B1G rules, they are NCAA rules. The 6 hours you're referring to is passing, as I stated in the firest post.

Here is Georgia, they are all the same by the way. http://www.georgiadogs.com/news/2006/7/19/General_Eligibility_Rules.aspx

They must enroll enroll in at least 12 hours, must pass 6 hours (the six you keep referring to) in the 1st semester and must pass 18 hours in the first 2 semesters.

It's the same for all D1 athletes.

You do realize that your post from Georgia was the rules dated 2006. Plus, you need to read the MSU document more closely; it lists specific Big Ten rules on it.

Furthermore, the rule is not 18 hours in 2 semesters: it is 18 hours in the academic year. The academic year includes summer terms following the spring semester. As I wrote before, if you are behind, you make it up in the summer.

It is also not the same for all D1 athletes: Football players have to complete 9 hours during the fall semester, which, BTW, isn't on your link from Georgia, thus demonstrating it is out of date,

Besides, this all goes to my point: It is pretty easy to enroll in 12 and pass 6; just don't show up for two classes, or drop them as the term goes on. Then, you are only carrying 6 credits. Again, completing the minimum requirement.
Then, if you aren't planning on coming back to school, it won't matter. And it doesn't count on your school's APR, because you were eligible at the time you played, but you didn't qualify for the following year. But, if your plans to leave early get ruined, take a summer course in each of the two summer terms, stay pampered at the coal lodge, and come back the following year to try again.

It's 18 hours in a "regular" year. The rules have not changed, 2006 or 2017 is irrelevant. You can continue this if you want, you're simply wrong. If you were right I'd expect an onslaught of support for you, you're getting none.

It's 18 hours in a "regular" year. The rules have not changed, 2006 or 2017 is irrelevant. You can continue this if you want, you're simply wrong. If you were right I'd expect an onslaught of support for you, you're getting none.
No, it is you who is entirely wrong and can only find inferential evidence and your own BS to support yourself.
The rules did change between 2006 and 2017, hence, that Georgia file you found was an archive. You must have missed how different the rules in that Georgia file and the MSU file were; the MSU document was much more complex. Nonetheless, neither of them mention having to be enrolled in 12 credits; you made that part up. Still, I know this about Kentucky fans: they don't let the truth get in the way.

Nevertheless, take a look at this definition of the academic year from another D1 school.
http://www.memphis.edu/registrar/calendars/academic/ay1718.php. UK's registrar page did not have a definition of the academic year, but it did identify Summer Terms. http://www.uky.edu/registrar/content/academic-calendar. If you click on the link for the 2017-18 academic year, it lists four terms, Fall, Winter Intersession, Spring, and Summer.
A "regular" year starts in January and ends in December. An Academic year starts at the beginning of the Fall Term and ends and the end of the Summer Terms. In other words:
ACADEMIC YEAR INCLUDES SUMMER SCHOOL

Plus, a rule change in 2012 allowed coaches to work with athletes over the summer if they were enrolled in Summer School. It turns out many of the players were in Summer School already, and basketball coaches were happy that they could work with their players during the Summer.

One last thing that will show you how wrong you are. Here is a story about UK Men's basketball GPA from last year. http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article122469449.html That 3.0 average you cited earlier is true as a composite for all student athletes at UK. Plus things did not get much better in the spring http://www.ukathletics.com/news/2017/5/11/5914618be4b06905f4f3c5ac_131467770236728699.aspx
If you click on the link for "team grades by sport" you will see that, again, football and men's basketball did not reach the 3.0 at the end of the spring term.

So, to wrap up, given that you don't really look closely at facts,

for college basketball players:
  • Requirement to complete 6 credits in a semester in order to be eligible for the next semester.
  • Freshmen eligibility to play in the fall semester depends on performance in high school
  • No requirement to enroll in 12 per semester (This did not appear in anything you cited)
  • Grades from summer school are included in their progress towards graduation;
  • So, minimum requirements to stay academically eligible for the following semester: 6 credits per semester will make you eligible for the next semester. And 18 for the entire ACADEMIC year to play in the next academic year.
  • Classes taken in Summer School count for your 18 credits in the entire academic year.
  • Schools and conferences are free to add additional requirements if they wish.
  • If you will leave for the NBA, you can do 6 credits per semester, and forget about Summer School because you aren't coming back for the following year. But you kept yourself eligible for the basketball season.
  • Going to Summer School can be good for your game because the coach can work with you during the summer.
So, you will obviously reply with more BS, and I will have to point out these same things again to show that you have only brought up more BS. I can keep this going if you really want to. It will still lead to the same conclusion about my initial point: Do the minimum required to keep them eligible and pamper them at the Coal Lodge.

Lastly, there is no need for an onslaught of support. I can argue this with you with my metaphorical hand tied behind my back, especially when you bring up those links that contradict your own points.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
No, it is you who is entirely wrong and can only find inferential evidence and your own BS to support yourself.
The rules did change between 2006 and 2017, hence, that Georgia file you found was an archive. You must have missed how different the rules in that Georgia file and the MSU file were; the MSU document was much more complex. Nonetheless, neither of them mention having to be enrolled in 12 credits; you made that part up. Still, I know this about Kentucky fans: they don't let the truth get in the way.

Nevertheless, take a look at this definition of the academic year from another D1 school.
http://www.memphis.edu/registrar/calendars/academic/ay1718.php. UK's registrar page did not have a definition of the academic year, but it did identify Summer Terms. http://www.uky.edu/registrar/content/academic-calendar. If you click on the link for the 2017-18 academic year, it lists four terms, Fall, Winter Intersession, Spring, and Summer.
A "regular" year starts in January and ends in December. An Academic year starts at the beginning of the Fall Term and ends and the end of the Summer Terms. In other words:

Plus, a rule change in 2012 allowed coaches to work with athletes over the summer if they were enrolled in Summer School. It turns out many of the players were in Summer School already, and basketball coaches were happy that they could work with their players during the Summer.

One last thing that will show you how wrong you are. Here is a story about UK Men's basketball GPA from last year. http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article122469449.html That 3.0 average you cited earlier is true as a composite for all student athletes at UK. Plus things did not get much better in the spring http://www.ukathletics.com/news/2017/5/11/5914618be4b06905f4f3c5ac_131467770236728699.aspx
If you click on the link for "team grades by sport" you will see that, again, football and men's basketball did not reach the 3.0 at the end of the spring term.

• Requirement to complete 6 credits in a semester in order to be eligible for the next semester.
  • Freshmen eligibility to play in the fall semester depends on performance in high school
  • No requirement to enroll in 12 per semester (This did not appear in anything you cited)
  • So, minimum requirements to stay academically eligible for the following semester: 6 credits per semester will make you eligible for the next semester. And 18 for the entire ACADEMIC year to play in the next academic year.
  • Classes taken in Summer School count for your 18 credits in the entire academic year.
  • If you will leave for the NBA, you can do 6 credits per semester, and forget about Summer School because you aren't coming back for the following year. But you kept yourself eligible for the basketball season.
  • Going to Summer School can be good for your game because the coach can work with you during the summer.
So, you will obviously reply with more BS, and I will have to point out these same things again to show that you have only brought up more BS. I can keep this going if you really want to. It will still lead to the same conclusion about my initial point: Do the minimum required to keep them eligible and pamper them at the Coal Lodge.

Lastly, there is no need for an onslaught of support. I can argue this with you with my metaphorical hand tied behind my back, especially when you bring up those links that contradict your own points.
You're entirely wrong but let me ask a simple question. Do you have any evidence that UK players only take 6 hours per semester? I'll blow up your theory tomorrow.

Leave it to Louisville fans to have the most sickening college sports scandal maybe ever and try to convince themselves that Kentucky players only take six hours.

TRY AGAIN CLOWN.

The 1962 Kentucky football team is the subject of a book, The Thin Thirty, by Shannon Ragland, published in August, 2007. The focus of the book is the '62 roster of players under first-year coach Charlie Bradshaw—a Bear Bryant disciple—who ended up thinning the team from 88 to 30 players via his brutal conditioning tactics and exploitation of players. It places this in the backdrop of racial and economic tensions of the South and its impact on several players.[4]

The book asserts that several members of the 1962 team became involved in a gay sex scandal involving actor Rock Hudson, and that a crucial game was fixed that year.[5] It then finished by following up with what happened to the players afterward.[4]

Reactions: CommodoreCard

Lol, I bothered to read all of that this time. A "regular" year is fall and spring semesters. Summer school is not "regular ". You have failed to post anything to support your position. My links most certainly showed a 12 hour requirement. You continually confuse the requirement for 6 hours progress with the requirement to be a full time student, which is 12 hours. What you enroll in and what you pass are two totally different issues. You don't seem to understand this.

I suggest you Google ncaa and full time student. You will come up with several articles lamenting that players should be allowed to be part time in school. You'll also come up with current LSU requirements which clearly state that to comply with SEC and NCAA rules, a student-athlete must enroll in 12 hours and must pass 6.

Again, if you were actually right, I'd have your entire board jumping in attacking me. You are all alone for a reason.

Lol, I bothered to read all of that this time. A "regular" year is fall and spring semesters. Summer school is not "regular ". You have failed to post anything to support your position. My links most certainly showed a 12 hour requirement. You continually confuse the requirement for 6 hours progress with the requirement to be a full time student, which is 12 hours. What you enroll in and what you pass are two totally different issues. You don't seem to understand this.

I suggest you Google ncaa and full time student. You will come up with several articles lamenting that players should be allowed to be part time in school. You'll also come up with current LSU requirements which clearly state that to comply with SEC and NCAA rules, a student-athlete must enroll in 12 hours and must pass 6.

Again, if you were actually right, I'd have your entire board jumping in attacking me. You are all alone for a reason.
SMH,

I do not confuse their silence with lack of support.

When I googled NCAA and student athlete elgibility, I got what I first posted. It is from the NCAA, in other words, straight from the horses mouth.

It all comes back to the same thing: a current reference from the NCAA vs the 11 year old UGA reference you posted that is not consistent with the Big Ten/MSU document you also posted. BTW, I found the LSU document you mentioned, and it, too is 11 years old. Neither the UGA or the LSU documents are consistent with the Big Ten/MSU document, nor are they consistent with the NCAA guidelines listed in the NCAA link.

Simply put: your argument is full of holes. You can insist you are right all that you want; it does not make you right because you declared it. Your other arguements about APR and GPA have been shown to be irrelevant and inaccurate, respectively. Thus, your credibility is extremely low. Your statements require much much more than face value to be believed.

Last edited:
SMH,

I do not confuse their silence with lack of support.

When I googled NCAA and student athlete elgibility, I got what I first posted. It is from the NCAA, in other words, straight from the horses mouth.

It all comes back to the same thing: a current reference from the NCAA vs the 11 year old UGA reference you posted that is not consistent with the Big Ten/MSU document you also posted. BTW, I found the LSU document you mentioned, and it, too is 11 years old. Neither the UGA or the LSU documents are consistent with the Big Ten/MSU document, nor are they consistent with the NCAA guidelines listed in the NCAA link.

Simply put: your argument is full of holes. You can insist you are right all that you want; it does not make you right because you declared it. Your other arguements about APR and GPA have been shown to be irrelevant and inaccurate, respectively. Thus, your credibility is extremely low. Your statements require much much more than face value to be believed.
Yes, exactly, it goes back to your original link. The one you simply don't understand. Even its title doesn't seem to get your attention. That link is about progress towards a degree. That, again, is different than enrolled credit hours. Try the LSU link, it couldn't be more clear. Enroll in 12, pass 6, just like I've been telling you and the exact same info your original link provided. http://www.compliance.lsu.edu/eligibility-requirements-1/

TRY AGAIN CLOWN.

The 1962 Kentucky football team is the subject of a book, The Thin Thirty, by Shannon Ragland, published in August, 2007. The focus of the book is the '62 roster of players under first-year coach Charlie Bradshaw—a Bear Bryant disciple—who ended up thinning the team from 88 to 30 players via his brutal conditioning tactics and exploitation of players. It places this in the backdrop of racial and economic tensions of the South and its impact on several players.[4]

The book asserts that several members of the 1962 team became involved in a gay sex scandal involving actor Rock Hudson, and that a crucial game was fixed that year.[5] It then finished by following up with what happened to the players afterward.[4]

Instead of Kroger Field, they should have renamed Commonfilth Stadium, The Rock...;)

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I can find books saying bush did 9/11 and the earth is flat but does that make it true?

Yes, exactly, it goes back to your original link. The one you simply don't understand. Even its title doesn't seem to get your attention. That link is about progress towards a degree. That, again, is different than enrolled credit hours. Try the LSU link, it couldn't be more clear. Enroll in 12, pass 6, just like I've been telling you and the exact same info your original link provided. http://www.compliance.lsu.edu/eligibility-requirements-1/

The title is purely factual and it comes from the NCAA page on eligibility. Progress towards a degree is their title for maintaining eligibility. To be eligible, you must show "progress towards a degree."
http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-academic-eligibility
The text in the link above reads: "Student-athletes at a Division I school must meet specific academic benchmarks, called progress-toward-degree requirements, to continue competing." Again, straight from the people who set the standards. If you can show an NCAA source that says the must enroll in 12 credits, then I will believe you. The NCAA does not benefit from hiding such information; they would want to make it public.

Furthermore, enroll in 12 and pass 6 is an absolute and obvious farce. You can enroll in 12 and pass 6 easily, just don't show up to class for 6 of them, or show up sporadically and turn in half-ass assignments. if you go to the NBA, the following year, no big deal. If you realize you can't, then you go to summer school and earn grades for those 6 classes you didn't complete or failed out of.

Answer this: if you only pass 6 in a semester, and summer school doesn't count, how do you earn the minimum of 18 hours to continue to the next year? My answer is simple: if you plan on leaving at the end of the year, it doesn't matter.

Still, you have forgotten my original point that triggered this rabbit hole of a discussion: Cal's "best for the kids" line is a bunch of B.S. It is all spin to sell his program. He has said repeatedly how he "helped all of those kids" by getting them to the NBA. If that is the goal, then doing the minimum to stay eligible is all that is needed, all the while they get pampered in the coal lodge.

The title is purely factual and it comes from the NCAA page on eligibility. Progress towards a degree is their title for maintaining eligibility. To be eligible, you must show "progress towards a degree."
http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-academic-eligibility
The text in the link above reads: "Student-athletes at a Division I school must meet specific academic benchmarks, called progress-toward-degree requirements, to continue competing." Again, straight from the people who set the standards. If you can show an NCAA source that says the must enroll in 12 credits, then I will believe you. The NCAA does not benefit from hiding such information; they would want to make it public.

Furthermore, enroll in 12 and pass 6 is an absolute and obvious farce. You can enroll in 12 and pass 6 easily, just don't show up to class for 6 of them, or show up sporadically and turn in half-ass assignments. if you go to the NBA, the following year, no big deal. If you realize you can't, then you go to summer school and earn grades for those 6 classes you didn't complete or failed out of.

Answer this: if you only pass 6 in a semester, and summer school doesn't count, how do you earn the minimum of 18 hours to continue to the next year? My answer is simple: if you plan on leaving at the end of the year, it doesn't matter.

Still, you have forgotten my original point that triggered this rabbit hole of a discussion: Cal's "best for the kids" line is a bunch of B.S. It is all spin to sell his program. He has said repeatedly how he "helped all of those kids" by getting them to the NBA. If that is the goal, then doing the minimum to stay eligible is all that is needed, all the while they get pampered in the coal lodge.
We have lifetime scholarships. Like him or not Cal is serious about helping these kids. I've asked before and I'll ask again. Do you have a shred of proof to support your allegations?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT