ADVERTISEMENT

UofL offers UK 4* QB commit Mac Jones

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
This could get fun.

Per Mac Jones Twitter:

@macjones2017

Just received an offer from University of Louisville! #GoCards #ACC

Was UK his first offer? Just surprised why any out-of-state 4* would commit there unless he already has some decision-making issues.

Was UK his first offer? Just surprised why any out-of-state 4* would commit there unless he already has some decision-making issues.

He was a three star when offered and when he committed to UK. He's friends with several on the team, as well as current UK commits. He has been actively recruiting for UK at all of these events he's been winning. He is now in strong consideration for his 5th star. He's the best QB in this class based on everything but size. He's the only thing I think was a positive from the Dawson hire.

I %100 think he sticks with UK. He has a great relationship with the coaching staff, and loves UK's OC and QB coach. I've been told UK only has to worry about three schools flipping him, and the longer it goes on without him getting offers from two of those schools the more I like UK's chances.

He was a three star when offered and when he committed to UK. He's friends with several on the team, as well as current UK commits. He has been actively recruiting for UK at all of these events he's been winning. He is now in strong consideration for his 5th star. He's the best QB in this class based on everything but size. He's the only thing I think was a positive from the Dawson hire.

I %100 think he sticks with UK. He has a great relationship with the coaching staff, and loves UK's OC and QB coach. I've been told UK only has to worry about three schools flipping him, and the longer it goes on without him getting offers from two of those schools the more I like UK's chances.
I pretty much agree with this. However, AL has also offered. IIRC, WVA was recruiting him early and he had a good early relationship with Dawson. The young man is working the camp circuit hard.

Peace

The kid will have a tough decision, play for a great offensive minded coach and go to bowl games, or spend the holidays at home with his family.

Reactions: American Male
We already have Malik Cunningham 5.6 3* Dual Threat QB from Montgomery, AL 6'1" 185lb. committed for the Class of 2017. He holds offers from Georgia, Georgia Tech., LSU, not to mention UK. Not comparing, just sayin'.

Lot of time between now and then but if I'm Stupes, his quote yesterday would make me nervous.

"It’s one of those things where I have to decide, ‘Do I want to be another good quarterback at Alabama, just another good player or do I want to do something special with a bunch of special people at Kentucky?’” Jones said. “It’s one of those things where you just look into it and see if you want to be just another guy or kind of build something up.”

He seems like a good kid - hopefully he has people around him that will tell him not to fall into that same trap that has swallowed up some other decent players by flushing their potential down the drain at kentucky. How many kids in the last 50 years have said the same thing - only to experience varying levels of futility. Too many to list is the answer. The real question is do you want to be the next Patty Potter?

We already have Malik Cunningham 5.6 3* Dual Threat QB from Montgomery, AL 6'1" 185lb. committed for the Class of 2017. He holds offers from Georgia, Georgia Tech., LSU, not to mention UK. Not comparing, just sayin'.

I find it strange too that UofL would offer him after just getting a committment from Cunningham.

As for UK this season is going to be extremly important IMO. If Barker shows no more improvement than Towles I will find it hard to believe this kid will attend UK with the offer sheet he has.

I find it strange too that UofL would offer him after just getting a committment from Cunningham.

Howie has told me Coach Petrino likes a LOT of depth at QB (like 5or 6 deep). But elite QBs aren't typically too fond of sticking around just to provide depth. That was shown here in the last couple of years. A safety net QB like Bonnafon, who can and will play other positions is a rarity and a blessing.

Howie has told me Coach Petrino likes a LOT of depth at QB (like 5or 6 deep). But elite QBs aren't typically too fond of sticking around just to provide depth. That was shown here in the last couple of years. A safety net QB like Bonnafon, who can and will play other positions is a rarity and a blessing.

I agree to have Jackson, Pass, Cunningham, already committed on top of Bolin and Bonnafon is a lot of guys. I can't see us being a real option for Jones unless he totally falls in love and sees something he likes.

The only thing holding this kid back was that he looks like he's about 13 years old. But he is an absolute talent and deservedly receiving recognition now that he is lighting things up along other elite competition.
FWIW, his eventual decision will probably have a lot to do with how UK fares this season. If it performs as expected (poorly), then Stoops and his staff will definitely be on the hot seat and the kid will probably be looking at better options with more stability. If Stoops performs better than expected, then the kid will probably stick with his commitment to UK. Everything is "verbal" and subject to change prior to NSD -- that goes for all recruits at all schools.

Yeah, when and if UK cavitates and has an inordinately dismal season, and their fans begin staying away in their common droves when things go bad.............and if UK reaches the record most of us believe they will - 3-9, maybe 4-8, then this kid will go elsewhere because there could well be a major coaching change at the very top.

Yeah, when and if UK cavitates and has an inordinately dismal season, and their fans begin staying away in their common droves when things go bad.............and if UK reaches the record most of us believe they will - 3-9, maybe 4-8, then this kid will go elsewhere because there could well be a major coaching change at the very top.

No way does UK replace Stoops next year. MAYBE with a 1-11 or 2-10 type of year..but that is highly unlikely. All the hot seat talk is just wishful thinking. The reality is UK still has a very young team. Watching some mistakes from Stoops on the field and with the Dawson hire has definitely been painful.
The simple fact is Barker or his backup can't be any worse than Towles last year. And the new OC and QB coach have won wherever they go. If we can find a severable OTackle (which will almost assuredly be the 5star true frosh) and the defensive front shows up at all...we should eak out 5 wins or maybe 6.

That will be enough to easily get another year, keep the vast majority of the class together and bring back 19 more experienced starters next year with some very good young talent coming in

No way does UK replace Stoops next year. MAYBE with a 1-11 or 2-10 type of year..but that is highly unlikely. All the hot seat talk is just wishful thinking. The reality is UK still has a very young team. Watching some mistakes from Stoops on the field and with the Dawson hire has definitely been painful.
The simple fact is Barker or his backup can't be any worse than Towles last year. And the new OC and QB coach have won wherever they go. If we can find a severable OTackle (which will almost assuredly be the 5star true frosh) and the defensive front shows up at all...we should eak out 5 wins or maybe 6.

That will be enough to easily get another year, keep the vast majority of the class together and bring back 19 more experienced starters next year with some very good young talent coming in

Wishful thinking? Why in he!! would we want him gone? When y'all hired him, that was a huge "Yahtzee" for our program, automatic P5 win.

Wishful thinking? Why in he!! would we want him gone? When y'all hired him, that was a huge "Yahtzee" for our program, automatic P5 win.

Sure it is. We were an decent qb performance away from winning the last 2 years while still on a rebuild process. Lost by 3 and up 21 at half with our top 2 running backs getting injured for second half last year.
Right...total domination that will never change

If there's any wishful thinking, it is contained in your annual unrealistic assessment of the kentucky program and the direction that they're headed in. Last year, it was Patty Ice this and Patty Ice that and, how awesome the Shannon Dawson hire was because he was such a winner as the OC at WVU. We all saw how that turned out - "towles sucks and Dawson is a loser" and yut fans couldn't be happier to have them both gone.

The simple fact of the matter is that Barker could indeed be worse than towles - hate to repeat myself but, Barker looked better getting sucker punched at EKU than he did in the second half against Louisville.

6 wins is a (crack) pipe dream...

If there's any wishful thinking, it is contained in your annual unrealistic assessment of the kentucky program and the direction that they're headed in. Last year, it was Patty Ice this and Patty Ice that and, how awesome the Shannon Dawson hire was because he was such a winner as the OC at WVU. We all saw how that turned out - "towles sucks and Dawson is a loser" and yut fans couldn't be happier to have them both gone.

The simple fact of the matter is that Barker could indeed be worse than towles - hate to repeat myself but, Barker looked better getting sucker punched at EKU than he did in the second half against Louisville.

Personally I was never a fan of Towles. Just saw to many mental mistakes and easy throws missed to think he had it between the ears. I would have loved to see Barker play much more last year. And he looked awful in the second half of the UL game but that was also his 2nd start. How did Lamar Jackson look his second game? Lots of mistakes.

Barker was really recruited hard by Spurrier, Tennessee and Petrino. We'll see where he ends up

That 18 QBR Barker had is going to set the world on fire.

Towles was decent the year before last and regressed this past season.

Personally I was never a fan of Towles. Just saw to many mental mistakes and easy throws missed to think he had it between the ears. I would have loved to see Barker play much more last year. And he looked awful in the second half of the UL game but that was also his 2nd start. How did Lamar Jackson look his second game? Lots of mistakes.

Barker was really recruited hard by Spurrier, Tennessee and Petrino. We'll see where he ends up

Towles was a 4 star with several offers too. Coaches see both everyday in practice, must been some reason they decided to keep playing Towles.

Pike and his "still rebuilding". Too funny. The $EC east is down as far as it's been in 30 years and stoops still can't get bowl eligible.Of course losing to Western twice can't help your cause.

Stoops sucks, and no way this kid sticks after this coming year's disaster. Four wins tops. And then Barney STILL can't afford to fire stoops. Get your popcorn. Another train wreck is coming.

Doesn't matter how good their QB is the WR can't hold on to the ball. And I wouldn't be to attached to the coaching staff I don't see them there for another 4 years

Reactions: American Male
Sure it is. We were an decent qb performance away from winning the last 2 years while still on a rebuild process. Lost by 3 and up 21 at half with our top 2 running backs getting injured for second half last year.

Dude...again Louisville also dropped a pick six in 2014 and with basically a Freshmen Offense and without our best Inside Linebacker...both leading WR-(Staples and in the 4th Quarter Quick) Louisville went on a 38-3 run..that is 3 Quarters of Total Domination...but keep playing the "Ifing" game...

In LJ's 2nd start, he was 15-22 for 212 yds with 1 TD & 1 pick in a win. And that's as a TRUE FRESHMAN - not someone who had the benefit of being in a program for 2 full years - which for all intents and purposes barker had by the time he made his 2nd start in the last game of the season against UofL.

In LJ's 2nd start, he was 15-22 for 212 yds with 1 TD & 1 pick in a win. And that's as a TRUE FRESHMAN - not someone who had the benefit of being in a program for 2 full years - which for all intents and purposes barker had by the time he made his 2nd start in the last game of the season against UofL.

You also left out that unlike Barker-(who was at Kentucky for Spring Practice going into his Freshman year)...Jackson didn't show up on the Louisville campus until June and only had Fall Camp...

What's this? UK fan pointing to the plays their team didn't make that could have won a game and not pointing to the plays the other team didn't make that could have made the actual margin of defeat for UK even greater?

Never seen that one before.

Let's tell half a story! Or maybe we'll skip all the chapters and just focus on the end.

Stoops is 12-24 and 0-3 vs UofL for %'s of .333 and .000.

Exactly....and to make it worse they actually recruited Barker yet still played Towles...that speaks volumes...
This. Both times our stud QB's (Bridgewater/Jackson) finished their first season as the ultimate starter. Barker couldn't beat out a quarterback that ultimately transferred to BC, that football haven, so Barker is the starter by default. Good times in Lexington.

Pike, here's something you probably don't realize but should, due to your basketball team. Most teams don't get up to play UK in football, like UK can't get up every night to play the Auburns and Mississippi States of the world in basketball. You are never going to get any good team's best, because that's reserved for when teams play real competition.

Even though this rivalry is huge for the fans, it's a challenge for Petrino to get his players mentally prepared to face such a lowly team, out of conference at the end of the year. And it gets harder every year, as the win streak gets longer.

We have players on this team that come from other parts of the country who know UK is a laughingstock. These players have never known what it's like to lose to UK.

A few years ago, we played Notre Dame, then Kentucky the following week. Guess which opponent got our best? We play Florida State and Clemson now. UK is just hard to get up for, for the players.

On your side, the game was a desperation situation the past two years. You had to beat us to go to a bowl. With all that, you still couldn't get it done against an interest-challenged UofL team looking ahead to its bowl game.

Dude..again Louisville also dropped a pick six in 2014 and with basically a Freshmen Offense and without our best Inside Linebacker...both leading WR-(Staples and in the 4th Quarter Quick) Louisville went on a 38-3 run..that is 3 Quarters of Total Domination...but keep playing the "Ifing" game...

Also, in 2014 game, Cards had the ball inside the 5 after the interception return....killing out the clock not trying to score as the game ended....but In Pike's eyes....that must not have mattered either. Add another TD there if'n we playing the ole if'n game.

I love when UK fans talk about almost beating Louisville. It always reminds me of that scene in the Fast & Furious when Paul Walker "almost" beats Vin Diesel and then Vin proceeds to tell him every reason why he was never in the race.

UK fans always conveniently forget that our starting QB went out after attempting only 4 passes.
We were on our 3rd string QB
We handed them 4 turnovers....4.
How much better was Louisville than UK?
- Good enough to win with a 3rd string QB
- Good enough to give them a 13-0 lead.
- Good enough to give them 4 turnovers.
- Good enough to give them a defensive TD from our 3rd string QB
- Good enough to kneel down and only win by 4 when we could have easily won by 11.

What about in 2015?
- Good enough to give them a 21 point lead
- Good enough to switch QBs mid game
- Good enough to give them 3 turnovers
- Good enough to give them an 81 yard defensive TD
- Good enough to run essentially the same play the entire second half and rattle off 4 touchdowns while holding them scoreless on their home field.
- Good enough to grant them a 3 TD lead and still win by 2 TDs.

Don't give me this crap that UK is "getting close" to Louisville. Louisville has done everything possible to keep UK in the past 2 games and yet UK still hasn't beaten Louisville. This was "rebuilding" level Louisville...so what's "built" Louisville going to do to Kentucky?

I normally don't respond SuCk fans on our board, as a huge FB fan I find your comments laughable. So to go with your last comment that you were a decent QB from winning? Well the game I watched the QB is only one part of the equation. Your receivers can't catch a ball. It might be that Stupid used tennis balls to train with. Who knows. But beyond that your defense got run over, around, and through and simply man handled by one of our least experienced O-lines. Once again it's not how you start the race it's how you end.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Pike, here's something you probably don't realize but should, due to your basketball team. Most teams don't get up to play UK in football, like UK can't get up every night to play the Auburns and Mississippi States of the world in basketball. You are never going to get any good team's best, because that's reserved for when teams play real competition.

Even though this rivalry is huge for the fans, it's a challenge for Petrino to get his players mentally prepared to face such a lowly team, out of conference at the end of the year. And it gets harder every year, as the win streak gets longer.

We have players on this team that come from other parts of the country who know UK is a laughingstock. These players have never known what it's like to lose to UK.

A few years ago, we played Notre Dame, then Kentucky the following week. Guess which opponent got our best? We play Florida State and Clemson now. UK is just hard to get up for, for the players.

On your side, the game was a desperation situation the past two years. You had to beat us to go to a bowl. With all that, you still couldn't get it done against an interest-challenged UofL team looking ahead to its bowl game.

Pretty much. You'll never see any of them own this one though. You are handing out tough pills to swallow here.

Big mistake if goes there. That program has had only one decent QB(Andre Woodson) in the last two decades. He's gonna flip and end up at Bama.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT