ADVERTISEMENT

UK/Miss State - so dumb

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Why do coaches continue to let teams beat them by playing prevent defense or letting receivers catch wide open passes in the middle of the field? Watching the end of the UK/Miss State game, I was telling the TV that Miss State better move up and not let UK's receivers run free in the middle of the field. But it's the same thing over and over and over. You had seven defenders standing deep letting a receiver catch the ball with no pressure. All UK was doing with nine seconds left was to get in FG position but it was like the defense was worried about a pass in the endzone.

There isn't a better offense than the one that needs to move the ball from their own 20 to the other teams 30 yard line with a minute to go. Receivers run free and the defense rushes only three at the QB. It's the dumbest thing I continue to see in football.

UK won. Give them the credit they deserve for pulling out a win against a team that lost to South Alabama who has lost this year to Georgia Southern by double digits, UL-Lafayette and a 2-4 Arkansas St team.

Lots of dogs didn't get kicked in the commonwealth tonight. Be happy about that.

LOL the guy calling the game basically called Stoops stupid said UK's clock management at the end of the game was terrible.

Here's what was really dumb - MSU had 2 timeouts to ice the kicker before the 51 yd attempt, and Mullen swallowed both of them. Guess he didn't see the Clemson-NC St. game.

I enjoyed the UK game, it is apparent to me that Stoops is making a lot of really smart moves in utilizing Snell and Badet, and Johnson gets better with every game. The defense is starting to play more physically. Elam is buried at the end of the bench, more evidence that the coaching staff is actually coaching. My hat is off to them. I still think we are 2 touchdowns better at least, but do not underestimate the motivation of a team like UK hoping to knock us out of a potential playoff berth.

I enjoyed the UK game, it is apparent to me that Stoops is making a lot of really smart moves in utilizing Snell and Badet, and Johnson gets better with every game. The defense is starting to play more physically. Elam is buried at the end of the bench, more evidence that the coaching staff is actually coaching. My hat is off to them. I still think we are 2 touchdowns better at least, but do not underestimate the motivation of a team like UK hoping to knock us out of a potential playoff berth.

I don't like to overlook any opponent but the only way UK stays within 4 touchdowns of Louisville is if the Cards turn the ball over 4+ times.
Cats need to extend Stoops before one of the big boys come looking for a coach. The luster has worn off the Houston coach after SMU. I'm sure Stoops is at the top of Texas and LSU's wish list. He did just beat an SEC West team, something no other SEC Least coach has done this year. Barnhart better act quick.

Reactions: BPGhost
Here's what was really dumb - MSU had 2 timeouts to ice the kicker before the 51 yd attempt, and Mullen swallowed both of them. Guess he didn't see the Clemson-NC St. game.
Yeah, I wondered that too. Maybe the strategy was to let the kicker expect that and not do it. ...Which will go down as another way for a hot garbage SEC team to lose this year.
I think you're giving LPT WAY too much credit for playing dog football teams. Even their own fans are calling these games "fool's gold" which is an accurate descriptor IMO. The SEC is historically bad. But whatever keeps Stoops in the job that doesn't have anything to do with good football is fine by me...

I kinda like what's happening at Kentucky right now, they are squeaking by the bad teams and getting the doors blown off by the good teams. The squeakers will keep Stoops employed.

Reactions: TDredbird and zipp
It looked like an OL tackled a State pass rusher on that last reception but no call. I don't care what they do because we are in the playoff race and have so much more overall team speed than them it seems unfair and have 10x the coaching to boot. We may beat them worse than we beat the Wolfpack.

In response to the OP I think coaches just don't watch any football. As in other teams. All they do is watch their own film over and over and it gets to be a "hothouse" mentality. Any coach that watched 4 or 5 games a week like fans do would never put that prevent D on. It NEVER works. Kentucky had a minute, three timeouts, and just needed 40 yards.

WKU won the exact same way at MTSU last week except they had less time, longer to go and needed a touchdown. These coaches are like lemmings over the cliff to the sea with the prevent D.

A few weeks ago, WKU let Vandy drive the length of the field for a game tying TD doing that stupid prevent D. Vandy had no timeouts and there was less than a minute to go after they received the kickoff at the 25. They winded up losing in OT. It was the single dumbest thing I have ever seen in a CFB game. It also cost me $200.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT