ADVERTISEMENT

UK is good

Good football but not great football. They are still not at the level of Bama or UGA. Just off the top of my head our 2004, 2006, 2012, 2013 and 2016 teams would still have absolutely manhandled this UK team. Our 2000, 2001, 2005, 2011, 2014 and 2015 teams would have given this UK team a game and could have still beaten them if they played well. Just keep that in perspective UK fans, your best team in 40 years is no better than our sixth best team in the last 20 years.

For one year (out of the last 40) they might be at the same level as LSU, Texas A&M and Auburn (I think all of those teams would still beat UK though UK would give them a good game, especially if the game was in Lexington). After this year Benny Snell, most of UK's defense and possibly even Mark Stoops are all gone and UK largely goes back to being UK).
Does that make you feel better about your team?

Totally agree....they are not great by any means but they are damn good for UK standards is all I am saying. I know it wont last long, maybe one season....but it's different seeing a decent UK football team because I've never seen one in my life. They do everything decently.
Your basketball team would say otherwise. This team is good. No where near great. The comment above about 10 of UofLs teams beating this team is false but I’m not going to argue with him. And more than likely next year will be another down year. But there is some great talent in the underclassmen so 2 years from now it could be the same. History would bet against it, but you never know. I thought last year would be better than this year because of the schedule.

Stoops has actually built a program at UK. They have depth at every position and they are well coached. They’re probably going to kick our a$$ the next few years.
Not sure I agree about the well coached opinion you shared. I watched them play last night and they made a ton a stupid mistakes. What they did though was compete. They showed a lot of heart and desire while feeding off a really good crowd in Kroger Stadium.

The main player who showed the most heart was Benny Snell. He was a stud last night. It's a good thing too because their QB was terrible. UofK's defense is solid and Josh Allen is going to be a very rich man soon.

Reactions: MEMEBLUE
Does that make you feel better about your team?

It makes me feel better knowing that your best team in 40 years is still our sixth best team in 20 years. It means over the long run our program is still the better program and I don't see that changing.

This year is just a perfect storm of UK having a once in a generation player in Benny Snell and us having a coach in Petrino who is past his prime and on his way out. We will get a better coach, we will recruit better. UK will lose Mark Stoops and will not get a better coach and then your recruiting and overall performance will go back to its historical norm.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. That's UK football this year.

Hopefully the UK game will only be a small regional TV game and not on ESPN. How embarrassing would it be to get waxed by UK with our stadium awash in blue on national TV.

Guys,

Nobody wants Mark freaking Stoops. There's a reason for that and you don't have to look past his historical performance at Uk to find it. Let this season play out before you Crown him the next Nick Saban. We are talking about a guy who has lucked into one decent team in 7 years on the job. Don't let the fact that we suck blind you.

Your basketball team would say otherwise. This team is good. No where near great. The comment above about 10 of UofLs teams beating this team is false but I’m not going to argue with him. And more than likely next year will be another down year. But there is some great talent in the underclassmen so 2 years from now it could be the same. History would bet against it, but you never know. I thought last year would be better than this year because of the schedule.

I said five UofL teams would be this UK team. not ten. But I did say 10 would at least compete and have a good chance to beat this UK team. Please tell me Cal, which team does this UK team beat:

- The 2004 team that went 11 - 1, beat an undefeated Boise State team and without Devin Hester beats a good Miami team. Both Boise State and Miami that year are far better than the Miss State team you beat last night.

- The 2006 team that went 12 - 1, was 1 quarter away from potentially playing for a National Championship (and IMO we would've hammered Ohio State and would've given Florida all they wanted), beat a top 5 WVU team and had one of the most dynamic offenses in college football history.

- The 2012 team that went 11 - 2, hammered a Florida team that no SEC team outside of Georgia could beat (including a highly ranked LSU team) and who many pundits thought should've been in the NC game.

- The 2013 team that went 12 - 1, had probably the best defense in UofL history and was one quarter away from an undefeated season.

- The 2016 team that started off 9 - 1, should've beaten Clemson at Clemson and had a Heisman Trophy winner and the best QB in UofL history to this point.

Your team this year is a nice year, but don't kid yourself, your team is nowhere close to any of those teams I mentioned. Our 2004 and 2006 offenses would've shredded your defense to pieces. Our 2012 and 2013 teams would've shut down Benny Snell and UK would be lucky to score more than 14 points, never mind our offense would've still put up points.

The only one you can even begin to debate is the 2016 team. Early in the year, we were the best team in the country, no one could touch us. This UK team, like any team early that year, would've had no answer for Lamar Jackson. Now obviously at the end of the year, yeah UK wins, since they did win that year. But no UK team in the last 40 years would've beaten how that UofL team was playing for the first half of the year, this year's team included.

Stoops knows games are won in the trenches, so he has stockpiled lineman on both sides of the ball. Petrino for some reason has stock piled receivers that we can’t even get the ball to.
Every football coach should know that. Football games are always won and lost in the trenches.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Stoops knows games are won in the trenches, so he has stockpiled lineman on both sides of the ball. Petrino for some reason has stock piled receivers that we can’t even get the ball to.
Yup. Recruiting is absolutely purposeless with 2.0. He has been here 5 years and still hasn't come up with a good center which is a very important position. UK has one of the best.

Besides the five teams above (2004, 2006, 2012, 2013, first half 2016) that this year's UK team would not beat (and probably would be lucky to stay within 14 points). There are five other UofL teams in the last 20 years that I believe could possibly beat this year's UK team.

2000: John L. Smith's first good team. First conference championship. Good at everything but not really great at anything. This year's UK team would be favored and probably wins 9 out of 10 times but there could be that 1 game.

2001: John L. Smith's best team, really good offense, good defense, beat a good BYU team in a bowl game. This year's UK team would be favored but I think it would be a close game.

2005: In between Petrino's great 2004 and 2006 teams, the 2005 team wasn't as good defensively but still had a good offense. We had one game against USF where we didn't show up and then lost the classic heartbreaker to WVU. I think a game between that team and this year's UK team would depend on location. In Lexington, this year's UK team probably wins. At Cardinal Stadium, that year's UofL team probably wins.

2011: Strong's second year team really developed late in the year and really set the stage for a special 2012 season. Teddy Bridgewater really blossomed into a good QB. A game between that team and this year's UK team would depend on time of year. Early in the year, this year's UK team probably wins. Later in the year, this year's UofL team probably wins.

2014: Petrino 2.0 first team. Still essentially a Charlie Strong team with a really good defense. Should've beaten Clemson at Clemson that year as well as FSU with Jameis Winston at home that year. Beat a decent ND team at South Bend that year. Only issue was inconsistent QB play. Between that year's UofL team and this year's UK team I think it would be a pick em game. It could go either way.

2015: Lamar Jackson's first year, started off bad but recovered nicely and by the end of the year beat a good Texas A&M team in the bowl game. You could see late that year that Lamar Jackson was going to be special. Between that year UofL team and this year's UK team it depends on time of year. Early in the year, this year's UK team wins. Later in the year, that year's UofL team wins.

So yes it is still my opinion that even though this is the best UK team in 40 years, 4 UofL teams in the last 20 years absolutely dismantles this UK team, 1 team in the last 20 years probably beats this UK team, if it's early in the year and 5 other UofL teams in the last 20 years might not be favored against this UK team but were good enough to potentially beat this UK team.

Says all you need to know about the two programs that half of our teams in the last 20 years would either beat, have a good chance to beat or at least be good enough to beat if the circumstances were right UK's best team in 40 years.

Reactions: STLNBSE
It makes me feel better knowing that your best team in 40 years is still our sixth best team in 20 years. It means over the long run our program is still the better program and I don't see that changing.

This year is just a perfect storm of UK having a once in a generation player in Benny Snell and us having a coach in Petrino who is past his prime and on his way out. We will get a better coach, we will recruit better. UK will lose Mark Stoops and will not get a better coach and then your recruiting and overall performance will go back to its historical norm.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. That's UK football this year.
Wait a minute. I thought Randall Cobb was our generational player.

And it’s that simple really. Those big no name, no face guys on the line are the key to everything. It’s rang true since football started.

Wait a minute. I thought Randall Cobb was our generational player.

Randall Cobb was okay but he wasn't at the level of Benny Snell. UK hasn't had a true game changing player like Benny Snell since Tim Couch. And when they had Couch it had been 20 years since their last SEC Title in 1977. The point being is history shows UK gets a game changing player that causes them to be good once about every 20 years.

And by the way, don't try to act like UK fans aren't the king of saying the "once in a generation" comment about UofL. According to UK fans the following should have happened:

1991: Nagle was an abberration. UofL doesn't typically have good QB's.
1994: Jeff Brohm was a local kid. That's the only reason UofL got him. They won't get another good QB.
1999: Redman is the best QB UofL will ever have, they'll never replace him.
2003: Ragone is behind all of UofL's success, now that he's leaving they're done.
2007: Brian Brohm was just another local kid UofL was lucky to get. They're done now.
2013: Bridgewater is behind all of the success of Charlie Strong. They'll find out just how hard he is to replace.
2017: Jackson is the best QB UofL will ever have. They are done now.

Besides Jackson, all we every hear from UK fans is how we'll never replace our latest QB. Funny though how we keep doing that. We replaced Nagle with Jeff Brohm, Jeff Brohm with Redman, Redman with Ragone, Ragone with LeFors, LeFors with Brian Brohm, Brian Brohm with Bridgewater and Bridgewater with Jackson. Funny how we keep finding and developing great QB's isn't it? Especially when Nagle, Jeff Brohm, Redman, Bridgewater and Jackson have all spent considerable time in the NFL. Funny how we are probably in the top 5 of any college football program in finding and developing QB's. There are very few programs who can run off a list than I just ran off.

So newsflash to you, enjoy your one year becuase it might not be this year, but as great as Jackson is we will replace him and we will have another great QB, probably sooner rather than later. And UK will go back to what they are historically. Must suck to see great QB after great QB come through UofL with our latest two still being in the NFL. That's our historical norm.

Last edited:
Benny Snell is a great RB, but if you think he’s the only thing this offense has, you’re nuts.

The Offensive line is what’s making his ridiculous numbers possible. That Miss St D line may be the best in the SEC, and UK O line abused them.

Next year Rose will replace Snell, and Rodriguez is a faster Snell type power RB waiting in the wings.

Stoops has built depth on this roster, which is what I was telling you guys was the key 2 years ago on here. Hell, Paschal is possibly better than Allen, and he is redshirting due to cancer on his foot.

It’s too early to tell how good this team will be, but they aren’t beating teams with gimmicks. They are lining up and imposing their will on other teams, Brooks teams never did that.

I said five UofL teams would be this UK team. not ten. But I did say 10 would at least compete and have a good chance to beat this UK team. Please tell me Cal, which team does this UK team beat:

- The 2004 team that went 11 - 1, beat an undefeated Boise State team and without Devin Hester beats a good Miami team. Both Boise State and Miami that year are far better than the Miss State team you beat last night.

- The 2006 team that went 12 - 1, was 1 quarter away from potentially playing for a National Championship (and IMO we would've hammered Ohio State and would've given Florida all they wanted), beat a top 5 WVU team and had one of the most dynamic offenses in college football history.

- The 2012 team that went 11 - 2, hammered a Florida team that no SEC team outside of Georgia could beat (including a highly ranked LSU team) and who many pundits thought should've been in the NC game.

- The 2013 team that went 12 - 1, had probably the best defense in UofL history and was one quarter away from an undefeated season.

- The 2016 team that started off 9 - 1, should've beaten Clemson at Clemson and had a Heisman Trophy winner and the best QB in UofL history to this point.

Your team this year is a nice year, but don't kid yourself, your team is nowhere close to any of those teams I mentioned. Our 2004 and 2006 offenses would've shredded your defense to pieces. Our 2012 and 2013 teams would've shut down Benny Snell and UK would be lucky to score more than 14 points, never mind our offense would've still put up points.

The only one you can even begin to debate is the 2016 team. Early in the year, we were the best team in the country, no one could touch us. This UK team, like any team early that year, would've had no answer for Lamar Jackson. Now obviously at the end of the year, yeah UK wins, since they did win that year. But no UK team in the last 40 years would've beaten how that UofL team was playing for the first half of the year, this year's team included.

One problem with your team comparisons...almost all of those UL teams, which were good teams played in a mediocre conference. totally different story getting beat up week in and out in SEC.

This UK team has a ton of future pros on it and very physical lines on both sides of the ball with our best running back ever. We would play with every one of those UL teams.

Randall Cobb was okay but he wasn't at the level of Benny Snell. UK hasn't had a true game changing player like Benny Snell since Tim Couch. And when they had Couch it had been 20 years since their last SEC Title in 1977. The point being is history shows UK gets a game changing player that causes them to be good once about every 20 years.

And by the way, don't try to act like UK fans aren't the king of saying the "once in a generation" comment about UofL. According to UK fans the following should have happened:

1991: Nagle was an abberration. UofL doesn't typically have good QB's.
1994: Jeff Brohm was a local kid. That's the only reason UofL got him. They won't get another good QB.
1999: Redman is the best QB UofL will ever have, they'll never replace him.
2003: Ragone is behind all of UofL's success, now that he's leaving they're done.
2007: Brian Brohm was just another local kid UofL was lucky to get. They're done now.
2013: Bridgewater is behind all of the success of Charlie Strong. They'll find out just how hard he is to replace.
2017: Jackson is the best QB UofL will ever have. They are done now.

Besides Jackson, all we every hear from UK fans is how we'll never replace our latest QB. Funny though how we keep doing that. We replaced Nagle with Jeff Brohm, Jeff Brohm with Redman, Redman with Ragone, Ragone with LeFors, LeFors with Brian Brohm, Brian Brohm with Bridgewater and Bridgewater with Jackson. Funny how we keep finding and developing great QB's isn't it? Especially when Nagle, Jeff Brohm, Redman, Bridgewater and Jackson have all spent considerable time in the NFL. Funny how we are probably in the top 5 of any college football program in finding and developing QB's. There are very few programs who can run off a list than I just ran off.

So newsflash to you, enjoy your one year becuase it might not be this year, but as great as Jackson is we will replace him and we will have another great QB, probably sooner rather than later. And UK will go back to what they are historically. Must suck to see great QB after great QB come through UofL with our latest two still being in the NFL. That's our historical norm.
You type a lot

Benny Snell is a great RB, but if you think he’s the only thing this offense has, you’re nuts.

The Offensive line is what’s making his ridiculous numbers possible. That Miss St D line may be the best in the SEC, and UK O line abused them.

Next year Rose will replace Snell, and Rodriguez is a faster Snell type power RB waiting in the wings.

Stoops has built depth on this roster, which is what I was telling you guys was the key 2 years ago on here. Hell, Paschal is possibly better than Allen, and he is redshirting due to cancer on his foot.

It’s too early to tell how good this team will be, but they aren’t beating teams with gimmicks. They are lining up and imposing their will on other teams, Brooks teams never did that.
Ahhh, the bigger, stronger, faster, has started early. Lol

Reactions: STLNBSE
Florida is not the Florida we are used to and Miss State doesn't have the talent UGA has. Make no doubt about it, UGA's dline is at a completely different level than the dline at Florida or Miss State. There are very few Florida or Miss State dline players that would even sniff playing time right now at UGA. Most of the Florida and Miss State dline players would be third string at UGA.

You'll see that later on in the year when UGA puts 50 up on Florida and Florida is lucky to score more than 14. Everyone is forgetting that Miss State also has a first year head coach. Honestly even coming into the game I thought Miss State was overrated and was ranked simply on last year's success. Miss State will go into the Egg Bowl 5 - 6, 5th in the SEC West behind Bama, LSU, A&M and Auburn and needing a win just to be bowl eligible. UK's win over them at that point will look a lot less impressive.

I doubt the UGA-UK line is 21 points as well, which IMO makes it easier money.
Are you still drunk? Every sports outlet has tabbed Miss St with the best defensive line in the conference. Yes, better than Georgia and Bama. I’m sure you don’t want to admit it but our offensive line is just nasty.

Are you still drunk? Every sports outlet has tabbed Miss St with the best defensive line in the conference. Yes, better than Georgia and Bama. I’m sure you don’t want to admit it but our offensive line is just nasty.
Hate to agree but I wish we had your offensive line or even just your center who is fantastic. OL should be mean and have a nasty attitude and your guys have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the five teams above (2004, 2006, 2012, 2013, first half 2016) that this year's UK team would not beat (and probably would be lucky to stay within 14 points). There are five other UofL teams in the last 20 years that I believe could possibly beat this year's UK team.

2000: John L. Smith's first good team. First conference championship. Good at everything but not really great at anything. This year's UK team would be favored and probably wins 9 out of 10 times but there could be that 1 game.

2001: John L. Smith's best team, really good offense, good defense, beat a good BYU team in a bowl game. This year's UK team would be favored but I think it would be a close game.

2005: In between Petrino's great 2004 and 2006 teams, the 2005 team wasn't as good defensively but still had a good offense. We had one game against USF where we didn't show up and then lost the classic heartbreaker to WVU. I think a game between that team and this year's UK team would depend on location. In Lexington, this year's UK team probably wins. At Cardinal Stadium, that year's UofL team probably wins.

2011: Strong's second year team really developed late in the year and really set the stage for a special 2012 season. Teddy Bridgewater really blossomed into a good QB. A game between that team and this year's UK team would depend on time of year. Early in the year, this year's UK team probably wins. Later in the year, this year's UofL team probably wins.

2014: Petrino 2.0 first team. Still essentially a Charlie Strong team with a really good defense. Should've beaten Clemson at Clemson that year as well as FSU with Jameis Winston at home that year. Beat a decent ND team at South Bend that year. Only issue was inconsistent QB play. Between that year's UofL team and this year's UK team I think it would be a pick em game. It could go either way.

2015: Lamar Jackson's first year, started off bad but recovered nicely and by the end of the year beat a good Texas A&M team in the bowl game. You could see late that year that Lamar Jackson was going to be special. Between that year UofL team and this year's UK team it depends on time of year. Early in the year, this year's UK team wins. Later in the year, that year's UofL team wins.

So yes it is still my opinion that even though this is the best UK team in 40 years, 4 UofL teams in the last 20 years absolutely dismantles this UK team, 1 team in the last 20 years probably beats this UK team, if it's early in the year and 5 other UofL teams in the last 20 years might not be favored against this UK team but were good enough to potentially beat this UK team.

Says all you need to know about the two programs that half of our teams in the last 20 years would either beat, have a good chance to beat or at least be good enough to beat if the circumstances were right UK's best team in 40 years.
2011, 2014, 2015 all struggled with sub par UK teams that did not even make a bowl game. You’re saying THOSE teams probably beat this team?

I think you’re reminiscing too hard on how good you think some former UofL teams actually were.

You mentioned earlier the 2012 UofL team. They lost to UConn and Syracuse in the regular season. You’re saying this UK team couldn’t beat them?

Reactions: 3Bluefever325

For what it's worth Phil Steele ranks Mississippi State's D-Line 3rd in the nation only behind Clemson and Ohio State.

He has Florida's 12th and Georgia's 15th.

I've seen the ball get to the receivers, they just cant catch worth a shit. Period

2011, 2014, 2015 all struggled with sub par UK teams that did not even make a bowl game. You’re saying THOSE teams probably beat this team?

I think you’re reminiscing too hard on how good you think some former UofL teams actually were.

You mentioned earlier the 2012 UofL team. They lost to UConn and Syracuse in the regular season. You’re saying this UK team couldn’t beat them?
Shut the fvck up sweetie, if you don’t post here any other time, you shouldn’t now. Bandwagon boy

U.K. Fans feeling themselves. Lol. Unfortunately for them, football isn't like basketball. It's a war of attrition. I can see a few teams they think they are far superior to beating them. I'll call it 8-4 for the cats and a trip to the outback bowl. Let the car tipping and couch burning begin!!!

Reactions: rockycard
I’m good with the regulars that post here, but the cowards that stay away until they feel good, can kiss my a$$.

Hate to agree but I wish we had your offensive line or even just your center who is fantastic. OL should be mean and have a nasty attitude and your guys have it.
Yeah don’t know about nasty but dirty yes. Taunting the DL all night to goad the Miss St players into personal fouls. Same old stuupes tactics that he used against us. Smell is the worst trash talker around..

Reactions: BPGhost
As bad as we won't want to, we need to keep showing up for games-especially the U.K. Game.

Yeah don’t know about nasty but dirty yes. Taunting the DL all night to goad the Miss St players into personal fouls. Same old stuupes tactics that he used against us. Smell is the worst trash talker around..
If you’re undisciplined enough to succumb to trash talk on the field that that’s your weakness, not ours.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
I’ve read this entire thread. Many of you are uninformed re: UK roster. Only 2 seniors on defensive line out of 7/8 rotation. Younger dbs and safeties playing in every game and on lose two of 8 man oline rotation. Skill players will be back and rb depth will be fine. This team built to win in trenches. Second year QB could make next year very interesting.

I’ve read this entire thread. Many of you are uninformed re: UK roster. Only 2 seniors on defensive line out of 7/8 rotation. Younger dbs and safeties playing in every game and on lose two of 8 man oline rotation. Skill players will be back and rb depth will be fine. This team built to win in trenches. Second year QB could make next year very interesting.
When are they playing? Not during crunch time, I’ve watched Kentucky in the conference wins. And Allen makes everyone around him better, you don’t know how important he really is to your defense.

When are they playing? Not during crunch time, I’ve watched Kentucky in the conference wins. And Allen makes everyone around him better, you don’t know how important he really is to your defense.

You really think we don’t realize a future NFL player makes everyone around him better?

Everyone knows how important josh Allen is. Don’t forget they next year we return josh paschal who is out this year with melanoma on his foot. He is very good.

Everyone knows how important josh Allen is. Don’t forget they next year we return josh paschal who is out this year with melanoma on his foot. He is very good.
Apparently you don’t, the guy you’re talking about has never played without Allen.

And I do hope that he completely gets over his bout with cancer.

I meant it more in respect to replacing Allen. Both are OLB/DE. The original argument was about depth. I think JP can find his way around the football field without Allen.

Last edited:

I understand what what your saying about Allen but my point is this team on defense next year will still have the ability to stop the run in fair capacity and if you can do that and play physical I don’t think it’s reasonable to say the team falls back to less than good.

ADVERTISEMENT