ADVERTISEMENT

UK football and its future cupcake schedule

That is the entire point of this debate. You guys see an opaque wall - your glass ceiling of advancement. You can't picture winning a National Championship or winning the SEC outright. You already proscribe your own limits and you seem totally content with that...
That's precisely right. And it's why the best they do is eke out a bowl game a couple times every decade.

Another self-limiting atrribute is "we're a basketball school". The fact that LPT never questions that or aspires to anything else keeps them exactly where they are. And all of their related tactics like scheduling cupcakes OOC feed into that.

LPT Football: We'll never be anything else...

Reactions: American Male
If you're trying to go undefeated this year would you rather play against your current schedule or Kentucky's?
Kentucky's, probably. As Rocky said, we'll see who Auburn is soon enough; we certainly respect Georgia; Mizzou reminds me of us somehow. Are you saying FSU or Clemson or Miami or NC State, Or even that BC or Pitt couldn't beat SEC quality teams in better years?

You guys avoided LSU and traditional avoid-ee Alabubba, plus A & M, Ole Miss this year. You got Auburn, and the traditional East teams. I admit on the face of it, that's a pretty tough schedule, still. But it I don't think it's a Murderers Row in reality.

You know who should be tough against Louisville? Houston. If you've never played them, they can be loaded at skill positions. Some incredible linebackers from there, too, historically.

Hey, we play Samford, lol. That doesn't please fans, either. We expect more now.

Managing a loaded front part of the schedule would be tough. You would supposedly be toughened too. Staying that way is the issue.

Bill it's just slightly off topic. Not that I'm unwilling to do that.

But for the record, the topic is about the non-conference schedule, not the schedule as a whole.

I understand, your style is to, shift topics that discuss UK and turn that into a discussion about UofL. The deflection tactic has not gone unnoticed by anyone other than you.

The bottom line is, scheduling easier doesn't figure to help a bottom feeding program improve. Racking up fake juice wins doesn't help when it's time to line up against the true playas. At least, it hasn't shown to be the right way to go for the last 30 yrs or so, or more.

There's no reason to compare UK's schedule to all the "good to great" SEC programs, because UK is not part of that tier. So I don't know why you're doing that. You guys aren't good historically... how the Alabama and LSU's of the world schedule has no correlation to what UK needs to be doing, because they are on another level, and they get those tough wins in the SEC.

Ipartied, I wasn't deflecting it was a valid question that pertains to this thread. If UK's OOC schedule is too soft, as most every UofL fan on here has stated, and the UK fans have said the SEC is tough enough without adding another tough OOC team. My question is on point, and you conveniently refused to answer, would you UofL have a better chance to a New Years day bowl with your present schedule, or UK's schedule?

Ipartied, I wasn't deflecting it was a valid question that pertains to this thread. If UK's OOC schedule is too soft, as most every UofL fan on here has stated, and the UK fans have said the SEC is tough enough without adding another tough OOC team. My question is on point, and you conveniently refused to answer, would you UofL have a better chance to a New Years day bowl with your present schedule, or UK's schedule?

I wouldn't mind getting the UK schedule - it's 8 home games and a bye prior to the Auburn game and that game is at home. We'd catch USC very early, they are a young team trying to rebuild a poor D. FLA is @ home, as is Tenn. One mission impossible opponent in UGA. I kind of feel the same way about our roadie @ FSU for Louisville. The two are comparable. You also catch your rival at the end with a free space vs Charlotte prior, whereas your rival is on the road in cold weather the week before.

Opening w/ Auburn on a "neutral" field is far more difficult than ULL @ home. It's a sure fire chance to open 0-1, and sometimes it's tough to recover from a loss.

I'd rather have the UK schedule. A rowdy crowd for the key tough games. The road games are against the lesser opponents, other than the previously discussed UGA.

The opening 3 are highly advantageous, then Missouri @ home.

No Alabama, No LSU, No A&M.....

Miss St coming off their best year in ages they could come back to the pack.

Question answered. But you see, I see the UK schedule as opportunity, whereas you see it as "too hard"...

But that's the mindset of the fans of each program. And that is what this thread is all about.

You may now return to more deflections and stuff like that.

I wouldn't mind getting the UK schedule - it's 8 home games and a bye prior to the Auburn game and that game is at home. We'd catch USC very early, they are a young team trying to rebuild a poor D. FLA is @ home, as is Tenn. One mission impossible opponent in UGA. I kind of feel the same way about our roadie @ FSU for Louisville. The two are comparable. You also catch your rival at the end with a free space vs Charlotte prior, whereas your rival is on the road in cold weather the week before.

Opening w/ Auburn on a "neutral" field is far more difficult than ULL @ home. It's a sure fire chance to open 0-1, and sometimes it's tough to recover from a loss.

I'd rather have the UK schedule. A rowdy crowd for the key tough games. The road games are against the lesser opponents, other than the previously discussed UGA.

The opening 3 are highly advantageous, then Missouri @ home.

No Alabama, No LSU, No A&M.....

Miss St coming off their best year in ages they could come back to the pack.

Question answered. But you see, I see the UK schedule as opportunity, whereas you see it as "too hard"...

But that's the mindset of the fans of each program. And that is what this thread is all about.

You may now return to more deflections and stuff like that.

Thats a nice reply, but you didn't answer the question. Which schedule would UofL have a better chance to make a New Years day bowl.

I never said the schedule was too hard, I said it was hard enough it doesn't require another P5 OOC game, and would be no benefit overall for UK.

This thread isn't about the mindset oft he fans of each program, it's about Louisville fans finding something to rag on UK about. Do you think UK fans are happy with the state our football program has been in? Thats why the fans bailed on Joker, he was awful as a head coach and it was painfully obvious. We're also not foolish enough to think a new coach is going to come in and immediately win big.

My mindset as a UK fan is I want to see the Cats field a consistent winning, well coached team.

Thats a nice reply, but you didn't answer the question. Which schedule would UofL have a better chance to make a New Years day bowl.

I never said the schedule was too hard, I said it was hard enough it doesn't require another P5 OOC game, and would be no benefit overall for UK.

This thread isn't about the mindset oft he fans of each program, it's about Louisville fans finding something to rag on UK about. Do you think UK fans are happy with the state our football program has been in? Thats why the fans bailed on Joker, he was awful as a head coach and it was painfully obvious. We're also not foolish enough to think a new coach is going to come in and immediately win big.

My mindset as a UK fan is I want to see the Cats field a consistent winning, well coached team.
He did answer the question He answered it in the very first sentence. I agree with Hop too. A national championship is the objective and regardless if it's hype of not, playing AND beating SEC teams would get the Cardinals into the 4 team playoff. Beating the ACC teams will too but there isn't any room for error where a slip up in the SEC (1, even 2 losses sometimes AKA LSU) gets you into the title game. They'll find a way to take a 1 loss SEC team every year due to the hype. UK has little chance of winning all but 1 game in the SEC. UofL would have a better chance albeit not much better.

You can try to hi-jack the thread into what it is all about for you - hey it's a free country thanks to people like you. I mean that.

But, the thread is exactly about mindsets of those in charge and the fans. UK is lowering the bar on their schedule because admin doesn't believe in the program. That's a position they can't be blamed for, it's been a circus for decades may as well try to back into 6 or 7 wins and the Banjo Bowl all day long.

I thought I answered your question I'll try again. I think the UK schedule would give UofL an easier route. The quantity of home games as well as catching "swing games" like FLA and USC early when they are both rebuilding, while not EASY, are very manageable if you have confidence in your own program. A 3-0 start with a ton of home games left and Vandy on the road is a nice opportunity to control your own destiny in front of the home folks that believe.

Now, I'm sure you feel otherwise, because it's just easier to look at the name on the jersey of Tenn/FLA/USC and say you're not going to win it's too hard. That's what history has taught you. The UK record against those 3 is abysmal, so I don't blame you for lacking confidence.

UofL fans just don't share the misery and/or the rainy outlook. I see home games that are winnable on that schedule.

The UofL schedule offers much more challenges early on, Auburn neutral out of the gate, Clemson in prime time, NC St on the road sandwiched in the middle of Clemson and FSU... w/ FSU being on the road. We got no shot to come out of the first six in real good shape. With UK's schedule, we could conceivably come out 4-1 or even 5-0 heading into a "show me" game at home vs Auburn off a bye for a chance to climb into the top 10.

I'd rather have the UK schedule. It provides a better opportunity for success. There's a real path to make a major jump in the polls the set-up is very good for the games that are to be played off that schedule, and maybe most importantly, the timing of in which some of those games are being played.

Once a team grabs momentum, they can keep it all year. I'm not saying UofL would dominate that schedule. But I am saying I'd rather have that schedule because the "tougher" games come down the road, whereas the current schedule is a punch to the mouth from day one.

I can't answer the question with much more depth than that at this time.

Last edited:
UK is lowering the bar on their schedule because admin doesn't believe in the program.
It's this sentence (specifically the second half), IMO, that gets to the crux of the disagreement on this topic.

You're projecting your feelings about UK's admin and UK's program onto our team, fanbase, and program. Your prerogative, and I acknowledge where I'm posting. I just think you're mistaken.

It's this sentence (specifically the second half), IMO, that gets to the crux of the disagreement on this topic.

You're projecting your feelings about UK's admin and UK's program onto our team, fanbase, and program. Your prerogative, and I acknowledge where I'm posting. I just think you're mistaken.

Simple question for you. Are they stepping up the competition or are they lowering it?

If they believed in the program they wouldn't be lowering the bar. JMO.

Simple question for you. Are they stepping up the competition or are they lowering it?

If they believed in the program they wouldn't be lowering the bar. JMO.
My answer is neither. I think the OOC schedule looks much the same this year, next year, and so on as it's looked as long as I've followed the team (>20 years).

I'll say again that unless you are in on the meetings to discuss scheduling, you're speculating as to the reason for scheduling whomever any team chooses to schedule. Just as UK fans have no idea what they're talking about when they say "UofL only takes so many transfers that get dismissed from other teams because they have to in order to be competitive," UofL fans have no idea what they're talking about when they say "UK is scheduling weak OOC opponents because they don't think they can beat anyone else."

The argument would hold more water were it not the case that literally every single P5 team schedules these games literally every single season. If you guys want to hoot and holler over the fact that UK plays 3 such games while some teams only play 2, go right ahead.

Like I have said, Kentucky has many areas in which they need to make changes to get where they (we) want to get. I don't happen to think that scheduling cracks the top 10.

My answer is neither. I think the OOC schedule looks much the same this year, next year, and so on as it's looked as long as I've followed the team (>20 years).

A couple angles here. If you truly think ULL and WKU are on par w/ Austin Peay types I'll politely disagree. WKU is a tough game these days. ULL is a bowl level squad.

But even if you want to contend the future schedules are on par with the last 20 years > - if this is true - then that doesn't help your argument, because the last 20 years > have been a big turd sandwich for UK football other than an outlier or two...and it's time to change the approach, not put out more of the same. What UK has been doing the last 20 + yrs has not worked.

A couple angles here. If you truly think ULL and WKU are on par w/ Austin Peay types I'll politely disagree. WKU is a tough game these days. ULL is a bowl level squad.

But even if you want to contend the future schedules are on par with the last 20 years > - if this is true - then that doesn't help your argument, because the last 20 years > have been a big turd sandwich for UK football other than an outlier or two...and it's time to change the approach, not put out more of the same.
Yeah, I'm not sure I have the time or energy to compare the respective resumes of non-P5 OOC opponents for UK over the past however many years. I suspect there have been a few "high mid majors" and there may continue to be those. I don't think, for example, ULL and WKU are markedly better opponents than Southern Miss. But at this point we're really splitting hairs. It seemed from prior posts on this thread that games come in 3 flavors: conference, P5 OOC, and non-P5 OOC. That was as granular as I was getting.

As for your last sentence, I agree. But if the notion is that the schedule is what's been holding UK back, I'll politely disagree myself.

I would agree that a) UK has been subpar for most seasons I've followed them and b) they have not pursued big time OOC opponents outside of UofL. I don't think, though, that a and b have much, if anything, to do with each other.

If you guys want to hoot and holler

Yeah, we'll do what we want around here thanks for the green light though.

Nobody is hooting and hollering.

We're shaking our heads more than anything else.

You are here simply to argue anything, just like Bill and I for one, welcome you both with arms wide open. If you'd rather play absolute trash teams 25% of the time just say that's your preference quit lecturing us.

But if the notion is that the schedule is what's been holding UK back, I'll politely disagree myself.

I don't see why the concept is so immediately dismissed. Getting a W over a P5 team or a well respected mid-major can do wonders for team morale.

Serious question, when is the last time UK beat an OOC team not named Louisville, and who was it? Exclude bowls.

I don't think, for example, ULL and WKU are markedly better opponents than Southern Miss. But at this point we're really splitting hairs.

Southern Miss lost 23 games in a row from 2011-2013, or something like that. They went 3-9 last year. They went 1-11 the year before.

ULL and WKU are on another world. It's not hair splitting. Not apples/oranges. Not even close.

Yeah, we'll do what we want around here thanks for the green light though.

Nobody is hooting and hollering.

We're shaking our heads more than anything else.

You are here simply to argue anything, just like Bill and I for one, welcome you both with arms wide open. If you'd rather play absolute trash teams 25% of the time just say that's your preference quit lecturing us.
No reason to get so irritated. Nobody's lecturing anybody. You guys post threads with shots at UK in the very title, and I offer counter arguments, much the way that some UofL posters do on the UK boards. I find echo chambers to be pretty dull, especially in the off-season; ymmv.

I'll once again quietly mention that for Louisville fans, of all groups, to be self righteous about scheduling is quite rich indeed.

Southern Miss lost 23 games in a row from 2011-2013, or something like that. They went 3-9 last year. They went 1-11 the year before.

ULL and WKU are on another world. It's not hair splitting. Not apples/oranges. Not even close.
They've struggled the last two years for sure. They also went to bowl games ten years in a row from 2002-2011. Would think a former conference-mate would know that.

I don't think, for example, ULL and WKU are markedly better opponents than Southern Miss.

Really? You haven't been following college football much, lately, have you? So. Miss record the past couple years was posted earlier in this thread, so I won't bother to repost, but ULL and WKU both won more games LAST YEAR than So. Miss has in the past 3 combined.

They've struggled the last two years for sure. They also went to bowl games ten years in a row from 2002-2011. Would think a former conference-mate would know that.

I know what they've done. You're the one that seems unfamiliar with what they've done lately, which is more pertinent considering they are on UK future schedules and not on UK's schedules during the time frame of 2002-2011.

They are miles away from where they once were, and don't have enough quality teams around them to help bring them back. They are a dumpster fire, and perceived to be a sure win on a P5 schedule.

It's rather sad what they've become, but they are what they are.

You can try to hi-jack the thread into what it is all about for you - hey it's a free country thanks to people like you. I mean that.

But, the thread is exactly about mindsets of those in charge and the fans. UK is lowering the bar on their schedule because admin doesn't believe in the program. That's a position they can't be blamed for, it's been a circus for decades may as well try to back into 6 or 7 wins and the Banjo Bowl all day long.

I thought I answered your question I'll try again. I think the UK schedule would give UofL an easier route. The quantity of home games as well as catching "swing games" like FLA and USC early when they are both rebuilding, while not EASY, are very manageable if you have confidence in your own program. A 3-0 start with a ton of home games left and Vandy on the road is a nice opportunity to control your own destiny in front of the home folks that believe.

Now, I'm sure you feel otherwise, because it's just easier to look at the name on the jersey of Tenn/FLA/USC and say you're not going to win it's too hard. That's what history has taught you. The UK record against those 3 is abysmal, so I don't blame you for lacking confidence.

UofL fans just don't share the misery and/or the rainy outlook. I see home games that are winnable on that schedule.

The UofL schedule offers much more challenges early on, Auburn neutral out of the gate, Clemson in prime time, NC St on the road sandwiched in the middle of Clemson and FSU... w/ FSU being on the road. We got no shot to come out of the first six in real good shape. With UK's schedule, we could conceivably come out 4-1 or even 5-0 heading into a "show me" game at home vs Auburn off a bye for a chance to climb into the top 10.

I'd rather have the UK schedule. It provides a better opportunity for success. There's a real path to make a major jump in the polls the set-up is very good for the games that are to be played off that schedule, and maybe most importantly, the timing of in which some of those games are being played.

Once a team grabs momentum, they can keep it all year. I'm not saying UofL would dominate that schedule. But I am saying I'd rather have that schedule because the "tougher" games come down the road, whereas the current schedule is a punch to the mouth from day one.

I can't answer the question with much more depth than that at this time.

i appreciate the response, of course I disagree, but what fun would it be if we agreed.
I agree that UK's schedule has more oppurtunity, but that gets back to the original point, why schedule another P5 team?
I don't think you're going to find anyone unattached to either team that thinks UK's schedule is an easier path to a New Year's Day bowl.
I'm not here to just argue, but this thread topic lends itself to it.

The only P5 teams that schedule multiple OOC games regularly are teams whose conference might seem a little weak, or have no conference championship. That's not a dig at the ACC, it's just the perception that it's weaker than the Big10, pac12, and SEC.

I think we're all ready for football so we can actually have stuff to breakdown and dig into, and get away from the silly season.

This thread is mocking UK for having such a weak out of conference schedule, but we have a much tougher overall schedule. I asked which schedule would you rather play because it is pretty obvious which schedule is easier to get wins from. If we,UK, want any chance of ever building a team to a respectable manner we need to start going to a bowl game every year. These cupcake games help us get our win total up, which obviously gives us a better chance of getting to the 6 game mark. Recruits mention going to a bowl game and improving our record. If we do that then, in theory, we can get better recruits and then see a better product on the field. Saying there is no correlation to what UK needs to do and what the elite teams in the SEC do is false. We are in the same conference and play the same teams. Historically UK is not good, but we are giving what seems to be a much more dedicated effort into getting better. The fact of it is that we play a tougher overall schedule than a lot of other teams in the country, so we need to grab easy wins to try and guarantee we get to 6 right now.

There is always this modern cultural divide. Message boards bring out the best and worst of that smack for the whole world to gape at. There are classic, wider-ranged cultural differences between each fan base. Urban versus rural; unionization and financial issues, classic conservatism at times, the weather, corrupt officials, state bias against a concentration of humans - and that's just the sideline. Pretty rich stuff, including direct challenges to every minute possibility of illegality from both sides, lol. It's a definite and fascinatingly active feud.

...I asked which schedule would you rather play because it is pretty obvious which schedule is easier to get wins from...
And give or take a win or two, that's the mindset that keeps you where you are.

LPT Football: We're nothing if we're not consistent...

but that gets back to the original point, why schedule another P5 team?

So you're telling me you can't see any benefit at all to beating a middling P5 team OOC early in a season as opposed to beating Austin Peay? When you're UK, and you haven't had much to hang your hat on over the years?

Regulars in the elite class can get away w/ scheduling whoever, their pedigree has proven that. Programs looking to get better don't figure to get there via Austin Peay post game parties. Quality wins are things that build programs.

As I asked Johnny, I'll ask you. I answer your questions let's see if you'll answer mine. When is the last time UK beat a P5 team in the regular season not named Louisville? Are you really trying to tell me, as a fan, you are happy with the fact that you can't recall without looking it up?

Had to look it up. IU in 2004. You guys ended up 2-9 that year. LOL

Last edited:
So you're telling me you can't see any benefit at all to beating a middling P5 team OOC early in a season as opposed to beating Austin Peay? When you're UK, and you haven't had much to hang your hat on over the years?

Regulars in the elite class can get away w/ scheduling whoever, their pedigree has proven that. Programs looking to get better don't figure to get there via Austin Peay post game parties. Quality wins are things that build programs.

As I asked Johnny, I'll ask you. I answer your questions let's see if you'll answer mine. When is the last time UK beat a P5 team in the regular season not named Louisville? Are you really trying to tell me, as a fan, you are happy with the fact that you can't recall without looking it up?

Had to look it up. IU in 2004. You guys ended up 2-9 that year. LOL

I wouldn't have known the year, but I would've figured it was IU. I'm fine with UK playing Louisville every year as it's only P5 ooc team. If the 2 schools weren't geographic rivals I would feel differently.

There is no benefit to UK for playing another ooc P5 team. If they could get away with a home game only, it would be more feasible at this point, but I don't see that happening.

Most other SEC schools play only one P5 team, most don't play the same one evry year though.

I wouldn't have known the year, but I would've figured it was IU. I'm fine with UK playing Louisville every year as it's only P5 ooc team. If the 2 schools weren't geographic rivals I would feel differently.

There is no benefit to UK for playing another ooc P5 team. If they could get away with a home game only, it would be more feasible at this point, but I don't see that happening.

Most other SEC schools play only one P5 team, most don't play the same one evry year though.

So long as U OF K is making no serious attempt to be anything but a scrimmage squad for the real SEC teams, you're correct. No one's actually screaming for your squad to play anyone in the Georgia Dome, though, right?

Bill, actually of course there is merit in playing P5 OOC teams. You just want to defend your UK status quo.

And give or take a win or two, that's the mindset that keeps you where you are.

LPT Football: We're nothing if we're not consistent...
Wow , I'm glad you were able to point that out. I thought we were worse than other SEC teams because our previous players, coaching, and facilities weren't up to par. If all we have to do is change that mindset then we will turn it around in no time!

Bill, actually of course there is merit in playing P5 OOC teams. You just want to defend your UK status quo.

Victories and bowl games aren't awarded on merit.

There's a reason all but 2 teams in the SEC schedule the same as UK. And before the SEC made it a rule teams must play at least one P5 OOC team some didn't play any.

Victories and bowl games aren't awarded on merit.

There's a reason all but 2 teams in the SEC schedule the same as UK. And before the SEC made it a rule teams must play at least one P5 OOC team some didn't play any.
Absolutely predictable. As I said, defending the status quo.

It's predictable because it's the truth Senore.

The only reason teams in P5 conferences schedule more than one OOC P5 team currently is to build up their schedule resume.
The SEC is tough enough that there is no reason to build up the schedule, that's just the reality of the situation.

If you are tied with Auburn to determine whether you make the playoffs or not, SOS will be the determining factor. I realize you aren't capable of seeing that, which is why I referred to your version of the "status quo". What you're saying is why risk a sure win? What I'm saying has implications if you dream of being somewhere besides a permanent 6-6.

If you are tied with Auburn to determine whether you make the playoffs or not, SOS will be the determining factor. I realize you aren't capable of seeing that, which is why I referred to your version of the "status quo". What you're saying is why risk a sure win? What I'm saying has implications if you dream of being somewhere besides a permanent 6-6.

How could UK be tied with Auburn to make the playoffs? If that scenario came to be the 2 teams would play each other in the SEC championship.

If you're right then why aren't other SEC teams lining up multiple P5 OOC games? Is there a fear an SEC team will be shut out of the playoffs?

Actually, head to head would be a pretty convincing determining factor as well

And if you're tied w/ a team not on your schedule then....

TCU got left out last year because....
TCU got left out because they lost to Baylor (head to head) and because they're not a name brand.

Surely you wouldn't argue that OSU had a tougher schedule than TCU or Baylor?

(I understood Senore's point, I was just ribbing him about using an example that actually IS on UK's schedule this year)

TCU got left out because they lost to Baylor (head to head) and because they're not a name brand.

Surely you wouldn't argue that OSU had a tougher schedule than TCU or Baylor?

(I understood Senore's point, I was just ribbing him about using an example that actually IS on UK's schedule this year)

It was about name brand no doubt. How does a team get name brand? By beating people over the years.

Last edited:
How could UK be tied with Auburn to make the playoffs? If that scenario came to be the 2 teams would play each other in the SEC championship.

If you're right then why aren't other SEC teams lining up multiple P5 OOC games? Is there a fear an SEC team will be shut out of the playoffs?
And if UK won the regular season game by 2 TD's and lost by a lazer particle in the Championship Game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT