ADVERTISEMENT

UK football and its future cupcake schedule

jalovell23

2000+
Jul 8, 2007
Boone County
http://www.kentucky.com/2015/08/17/3993003_mark-story-is-uks-future-non-sec.html?rh=1

I guess Stoops is starting to realize that UK football can not hang with the big boys, and the only way that they can become bowl eligible is to play cupcakes teams (and try to beat them). LOL

Future UK non-conference games.

Austin Peay. Over the past three seasons, the Governors are 3-32 in football.

Southern Mississippi. Over the past three seasons, the Golden Eagles are 4-32 in football.

New Mexico State. Over the past three seasons, the Aggies are 5-31 in football.

Eastern Michigan. Over the past three seasons, the Eagles are 6-30 in football.

Reactions: Mayoman and SoulSr
The thing about this is, programs can improve quickly, especially mid-major types.

So while each of those programs listed appear to be gimmes, come game day it may not be such a slam dunk.

Clearly though, it appears the desire to get "sure" wins OOC is the goal.

They typically get enough tough games in the SEC. I understand the need for wins, but if I was in charge, I'd try to find one game that would prep them for the SEC grind. It's quite a difference in game speed when it's Austin Peay one week, then FLA in Gainesville the next.

I know nothing.

So you're saying that playing twice as many ranked teams as UL does every season isn't enough? We should schedule more?
You are correct; that is not enough. You need to win at at least 6 games total per season to qualify for a bowl.

Given that there are roughly 125 teams in FBS Football, the fact that UK chooses to schedule games with the bottom 25 in the hopes of getting those wins tells us that they don't expect to be able to compete with those ranked teams they will be playing.

At the same time, how many ranked teams Louisville, or for that matter, Oregon, Ohio State, Florida State, Texas or any other FBS school has on its schedule is irrelevant to the conversation.

I'd try to find one game that would prep them for the SEC grind. It's quite a difference in game speed when it's Austin Peay one week, then FLA in Gainesville the next.

I know nothing.

I think the goal when you schedule has to be having a schedule good enough to get you in the playoff. Ideally you'd want it to be good enough that you could lose one game and still make it in. Once you reach that threshold you're only hurting your cause by making it more difficult. Being in the SEC UK doesn't have to seek out additional OOC games beyond UL because our schedule already meets those criteria. I'd like to see us schedule Cinci and play them in Paul Brown Stadium since we recruit the area so much but until UK is good enough that playing Cinci is the equivalent of a gimme it's not worth the risk and I wouldn't want to give up the Governor's Cup. Alabama has their rivals Auburn and Tennessee built into their conference slate so they don't have the additional tough OOC game so they picked up you guys.

Right now the ACC is such that UL has to schedule one more headliner to meet those criteria because Clemson and FSU are the only guaranteed top 25 teams they'll face. When UK improves and teams like VT, Miami, ND get back to their days of old UL won't have to play these games if they don't want to assuming they get one of those cross-divisional matchups. UK needs to hold up its end on improving your SOS though and I think we will

Last edited:
Their success, if any, similar to this year and their ridiculous 8 home games, will be schedule based, not performance based. In other words, fools gold.

So you're saying that playing twice as many ranked teams as UL does every season isn't enough? We should schedule more?

There are 50 P5 schools besides Louisville and the SEC. Only half of those are going to be ranked in any given year. It's not that hard to figure out.

Fans actually like a fun home-and-home series in September with a school that's within easy driving distance. Play a home and home with a P5 school two out of every 3 years, then take a year off for the 3 game "cupcake festival", then schedule another P5 school home and home.

Indiana. Purdue. Illinois. Minnesota. Iowa. Nebraska. Penn State. Rutgers. Virginia. Virginia Tech. Pittsburgh. Syracuse. North Carolina. NC State. Duke. Wake Forest. Georgia Tech. Boston College. Texas Tech. Baylor. Oklahoma State. Iowa State. Kansas. Kansas State. Colorado. Utah. Oregon State (had an absolute blast when UofL played at Corvallis in September 2010). Arizona. Arizona State. California.

That's 30 teams (more or less). Some of those last few are definitely not driving distance for most fans, but very few of those teams are powerhouses that UK would definitely lose against. And taking my "formula" of one home-and-home series, and then a "cupcake" year, you'd be able to schedule out until 2060 until you went through the whole list.

UK could do it if they made it a priority - they just don't even try.

It's also about scheduling for recognition. U of L has always tried to have its games played with maximum exposure. A big game to open the season, Thursday nite games, etc.

LPT has the opposite objective--keep themselves out of the limelight, try not to lose in front of too many people and viewers. And try not to lose too many games to open the season. If possible, stack up some cupcakes in September so that LPT fans don't move onto basketball before the leaves turn.

Trying to manage your losses is a loser's mentality.

LPT Football: So?...

It think all P5 schools should only play other P5 conference schools. This gives a clearer view of strength of schedule when deciding the final 4. Of course UK would only schedule other P5 bottom feeders if this was the case.

Winning around 6 games and going to a Bowl is the goal of the UK program. They can't compete with the best of the SEC on an even level. Those other teams have built up powerhouse programs with hard work and investment over the past 30+ years.

The blueprint to 6 wins is tougher than ever for UK now, with Louisville re-established after the Kragthorpe years. UK will likely have to win *3* SEC games, or 2 SEC and Louisville, to ever make a Bowl again, a very tall order. How often has UK won as many as 3 SEC games? I'm guessing it's a rarity.

They will make a Bowl again someday, but the near future doesn't look very bright for UK.

Reactions: American Male
http://www.kentucky.com/2015/08/17/3993003_mark-story-is-uks-future-non-sec.html?rh=1

I guess Stoops is starting to realize that UK football can not hang with the big boys, and the only way that they can become bowl eligible is to play cupcakes teams (and try to beat them). LOL

Future UK non-conference games.

Austin Peay. Over the past three seasons, the Governors are 3-32 in football.

Southern Mississippi. Over the past three seasons, the Golden Eagles are 4-32 in football.

New Mexico State. Over the past three seasons, the Aggies are 5-31 in football.

Eastern Michigan. Over the past three seasons, the Eagles are 6-30 in football.

Kentucky. Over the past three seasons, the Wildcats are 9-27 in football.

It's equal competition for them. All Teams, including them, haven't won at least 10 games in the past 3 years. How pathetic.

I believe We scheduled the cupcake by playing them. If they weren't a "Rival" then I would feel bad scheduling that sorry excuse of a program on a yearly basis that needs to drop football all together.

It's a joke to watch them suffer and embarrass the State on a yearly basis. At least put your football team in a conference where they can compete like CUSA or the Sunbelt.

It's too late. The damage is all ready done. Go ahead and schedule more schools that make them look foolish in the long run.

Last edited:
It think all P5 schools should only play other P5 conference schools. This gives a clearer view of strength of schedule when deciding the final 4. Of course UK would only schedule other P5 bottom feeders if this was the case.
What about scheduling good home games for the fans? Before joining the ACC UL had some putrid home schedules, and it hurt interest and attendance. UK should try to get at least one marquee OOC home game every year. Why not nearby West Virginia?

Because WVU would kick their asses and then burn uselessakay's couch. ;)

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

What about scheduling good home games for the fans? Before joining the ACC UL had some putrid home schedules, and it hurt interest and attendance. UK should try to get at least one marquee OOC home game every year. Why not nearby West Virginia?

UK has UT, UF, Mizzou, Auburn and Louisville at home, thats a pretty good slate of home games. Louisville has Clemson and then who? While Houston is a good team they aren't exactly marquee name.

UK has UT, UF, Mizzou, Auburn and Louisville at home, thats a pretty good slate of home games. Louisville has Clemson and then who? While Houston is a good team they aren't exactly marquee name.
UK also has a total of 8 home games. EIGHT. ULL, EKU, and Charlotte to go along with the 5 you mentioned.

That's a sign of creative scheduling which is attempting to earn enough wins for a minor bowl game. 8 home games and UK is hoping to win 5 and beat Vandy on the road. That's the goal but I doubt it happens.

Winning around 6 games and going to a Bowl is the goal of the UK program. They can't compete with the best of the SEC on an even level. Those other teams have built up powerhouse programs with hard work and investment over the past 30+ years.

The blueprint to 6 wins is tougher than ever for UK now, with Louisville re-established after the Kragthorpe years. UK will likely have to win *3* SEC games, or 2 SEC and Louisville, to ever make a Bowl again, a very tall order. How often has UK won as many as 3 SEC games? I'm guessing it's a rarity.

They will make a Bowl again someday, but the near future doesn't look very bright for UK.
This is almost completely accurate. I just don't agree with your last sentence. Kentucky is bringing in better players than they have in the history of the program. I think the future looks as bright as it has in a long time for Kentucky. As long as Stoops stays for a while I believe you will see Kentucky consistently ahead of Vandy, USCjr, and Mizzou.

This is almost completely accurate. I just don't agree with your last sentence. Kentucky is bringing in better players than they have in the history of the program. I think the future looks as bright as it has in a long time for Kentucky. As long as Stoops stays for a while I believe you will see Kentucky consistently ahead of Vandy, USCjr, and Mizzou.
You're 2-13 against south Carolina in the last 15 yrs. I realize you have a one game winning streak against them (due to a brain fart by the ol ball coach) but get real. And Missouri, lacking ALL the advantages of SEC membership, waltzed in and has proceeded to not only beat you 3 straight years, but also won the SEC east twice! Yet you predict UK will routinely finish ahead of those two programs. That, my friend, is the height of arrogance and symbolic of what EVERYONE ELSE in the country makes fun of during the off season: UK is always the biggest, fastest, and strongest.

UK also has a total of 8 home games. EIGHT. ULL, EKU, and Charlotte to go along with the 5 you mentioned.

That's a sign of creative scheduling which is attempting to earn enough wins for a minor bowl game. 8 home games and UK is hoping to win 5 and beat Vandy on the road. That's the goal but I doubt it happens.

Creative scheduling? So now UK is playing too many home games?

It sounds like you're already planting the seeds for the reason UK gets to a bowl this year.

It sounds like you're already planting the seeds for the reason UK gets to a bowl this year.
LOL, who needs seeds? If UK makes a bowl game, most of us will still smile. Ask why.

Well, if the shoe fits wear it. For the poster above that states "uk is getting better players than ever". I say good.....takes away any excuse for future losses.....and they will happen, especially vs SEC teams and UofL.....then it will put the spotlight back on who the coach is and his staff and their coaching ability or lack thereof.

Will 'Stoops' become the next 'Joker'? The jury is still out on that.....but uk has to start winning some how now or he will become the next 'Joker' and be run out of town in the tradition of failed uk coaches.....and the graveyard will add another head stone to its toll. Wash, rinse, repeat!!!!!

You're 2-13 against south Carolina in the last 15 yrs. I realize you have a one game winning streak against them (due to a brain fart by the ol ball coach) but get real. And Missouri, lacking ALL the advantages of SEC membership, waltzed in and has proceeded to not only beat you 3 straight years, but also won the SEC east twice! Yet you predict UK will routinely finish ahead of those two programs. That, my friend, is the height of arrogance and symbolic of what EVERYONE ELSE in the country makes fun of during the off season: UK is always the biggest, fastest, and strongest.
I think Pinkel leaves Mizzou and they will fall back. We have played USCjr very close year after year and Spurrier isn't long for the coaching world. My assumptions are based on the fact that UK is bringing in better players than they ever have and I believe we project to move upward in the years ahead. I didn't say we are currently better than either of those teams. I said I believe you will eventually see UK place above those 3 teams IF Stoops stays. There is no arrogance there. All I'm saying is that we can reach the level of being a middle of the pack SEC school. I agreed that Louisville being good is not good for us and that we can't compete with the best of the SEC. Heck I even agreed that the goal of our football team is just reach a bowl game.

Do you really believe that uselessakay is going to attract better head coaches than either USCjr or Missouri? What the hell, the last time you hired a coach he CAME to you unsolicited and he had NO prior head coaching experience. I don't think either USCjr OR Missouri would hire a guy like that. The only thing that Stoops has done at uakay is seeing an uptick in recruiting. There has been absolutely NO appearance of these kids being coached up to this point. If uakay does not win enough games to go to a bowl game this season then the evidence will become proof of this "staff weakness". Until that happens the only thing you have is hope and it's hanging by a thread.

JD Mizzouri isn't middle of the pack, they are #1 in the East. They've earned that. The funny thing about Missouri - they have no SEC rival, and that's to their advantage. They don't succomb to the highs and lows like other programs do. They get rocked one week, they turn right around and bounce back the next. They simply don't have their eggs in any one basket. It's a subtle advantage for them, go check their results and you'll see where I'm coming from.

It sounds like you're expecting guys to retire, and replacements to be incompetent, or need time. Doesn't always work like that. Some guys take it and hit the ground running. Also, some guys stick around much longer than opposing fans expect.

Why do you have Pinkell and Spurrier out the door? They are universally beloved by their fan base and are under little to no pressure, they've produced.

You're 2-13 against south Carolina in the last 15 yrs.

That's a pretty large sample, and that's a pretty big domination h2h.

They are just a tad guilty of being uninformed. They don't see "Alabama" or "LSU" on those USC and Missouri jerseys, so the leap doesn't seem too far. The reality is USC and Missouri have been performing at top 15-20 level for quite some time, USC actually much longer. USC has one down year in like, the last 10 yrs and suddenly they are mid-pack in the SEC.

Uh, no they aren't. They are good, and consistently good. And if the argument is, good is mid-pack in the SEC ok then, I still say UK has a long way to go to start talking about holding hands w/ Missouri and USC. UK would have to sustain years of good play, while both those programs need to stall.

Doesn't feel likely.

Hey what the hell. Maybe either of those two schools would come and hire Stoops away since he has done such a "fantastic" job at uAHkay. Maybe pigs will fly by noon today.

I'm not planting anything. I'm only saying that with 8 home games along with playing Vandy, it SHOULD help Stoops and UK get to 6 wins but I doubt it actually happens. How is that planting anything other than doubt?

The last time UK won ANY road game was September 1, 2011 and that was against WKU. The last time UK won a SEC road game was November 21, 2009 against Georgia. I know, I know, this year it's different. This year UK is bigger, stronger, faster, and better. Sure thing.

UK has UT, UF, Mizzou, Auburn and Louisville at home, thats a pretty good slate of home games. Louisville has Clemson and then who?...
That's simply a calendar fluke and the fact that U of L will now play many of its marquee OOC opponents at a neutral site. Let's look at this past season's home schedules ranked approximately from strongest to weakest opponents...

LPT's 2014 Home Schedule: Georgia, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Louisiana-Monroe, Ohio, Tennessee-Martin

Louisville's: Florida State, Miami, NC State, Wake Forest, LPT, Murray State.

The strength of LPT's home conference schedule usually alternates between years. And when U of L is a road game, the LPT OOC schedule at home sucks big time.

What's generally true... The part of the schedule that LPT can't control is often difficult; for the part they can control, they goal is to make it suck as much as possible.

LPT Football: "Suck" is the common theme...

That's simply a calendar fluke and the fact that U of L will now play many of its marquee OOC opponents at a neutral site. Let's look at this past season's home schedules ranked approximately from strongest to weakest opponents...

LPT's 2014 Home Schedule: Georgia, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Louisiana-Monroe, Ohio, Tennessee-Martin

Louisville's: Florida State, Miami, NC State, Wake Forest, LPT, Murray State.

The strength of LPT's home conference schedule usually alternates between years. And when U of L is a road game, the LPT OOC schedule at home sucks big time.

What's generally true... The part of the schedule that LPT can't control is often difficult; for the part they can control, they goal is to make it suck as much as possible.

LPT Football: "Suck" is the common theme...

UGA, South Carolina, and MSU when they were ranked #1 aren't big games?

Of course the home schedule strength fluctuates every other year, next year the road schedule wil be tougher because UK goes on the road to a West team.

All you're doing is getting your excuses ready. weak

Frankly, I don't see any incentive for Kentucky to schedule games with legit P5 teams OOC. At least not yet. Last year proved conclusively that the depth isn't there to handle week-in, week-out killer games. No excuses, just an honest assessment of our team at this point. We need "breather" weeks, and they're few and far between in conference. I know you guys are anxious for us to have an OOC slate of UofL, Southern Cal, Oklahoma, and Michigan (because you're so concerned with our fan experience and all) but I wouldn't hold your breath.

The argument that UK fans "deserve good home games" is silly. We play nationally prominent teams (plural) every year at home (and away). If Alabama fans can survive the occasional OOC joke game at Bryant-Denny, I think we'll be OK playing Austin Peay, Southern Miss, and Eastern Michigan at CWS.

UofL is to be credited with scheduling Auburn this year and Alabama in the near future (we've been playing those guys for a while). We'll see if it works out better for you than it has for us.

I have absolutely no idea what will happen with UK this year and am only marginally interested in speculating (FTR, I think they'll end up 5-7 again which means 3 cupcake wins, Vandy and an upset not named Louisville). I am more responding to the typical UK BS of puffed up entitlement wherein you and your ilk think you should be given 6 (or more wins) because you're UK and you want it--and add to that here the last couple of years, because you think you have better recruits. I know fans are and in fact should be optimistic but there's a difference between saying "Kentucky consistently ahead of ... USC and Mizzou" and saying, "We have really picked up our recruiting and added 3 wins last year; I hope we can get more this year." The first one smacks of elitism where there is absolutely no basis in reality for that to exist. The latter reflects a respectful but optimistic mindset with an unstated sentiment of, I'll wait on bragging until I have something to brag about." Get it?

UofK playing a tough schedule is an absolute joke. The SEC west has been tough. The east has been a big stinking pile of trash, minus GA and SC. So brag on UofK fans about playing in the mighty SEC. Weak talk, from a horrible fan base grasping for something to hold on to.

Frankly, I don't see any incentive for Kentucky to schedule games with legit P5 teams OOC. At least not yet...
Yeah, the issue is that "not yet" is wandering its way through a third decade. LPT football is never ready, and in fact, appears to be working hard to do just the opposite, i.e., dummy it down to epic proportions.

How long do you keep doing the same thing and expect different results?

LPT Football: Until sanity returns...

Missouri. Over the past three seasons, the Tigers are 28-12 in football.

I laugh every time that I see UofK fans pick wins over Missouri like they are some cupcake team.

In the past 2 seasons they went 14-2 in the SEC, dominating the conference, but yet Kentucky fans always think that they will somehow be on their level, like they are cupcakes or mediocre.

Mizzou walked in from the Big 12, and Owned your Conference in the past couple of seasons. Don't mention yourselves in the same breath as them unless it's about wishing that you could dominate like they do every year.

Show them and give them the Respect that they have earned and deserve.

ADVERTISEMENT