ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Ty's Takeaways: An unforgettable night inside L&N Stadium

Ty Spalding

Owner/Publisher of CardinalSports.com
Aug 23, 2018
As the dust has started to settle, I am trying to reflect on how special last night was. I've been trying to put the experience into words, and the phrase that I keep coming back to is this: it was different.

The parking lots were different. The Card March was different. The atmosphere in the stadium was different. Everyone rose to the occasion. From fans to players to coaches, EVERYONE was on point. Yesterday was different. And different in the best manor possible.

As I was walking around the field after the game, I kept seeing parents and their kids, and I kept thinking to myself, this night is how the next generation of fans is born. A night like that is why you go through the hard times as a fan base, because the good times taste that much better.

A few other things:

** Jack Plummer's parents and grandparents spent the whole day leading up to the game at our tailgate spot. My parents showed them around, took them to Card March, etc, but the reason I bring that up is this: what a great family, who loves the city of Louisville. His family couldn't have been any more pleasant, humble, and appreciative of how this community has embraced Jack. Jack comes from a salt of the earth family, and it was fitting that their son led this school to its biggest win in some seven years. The Plummer's LOVE Louisville, and that's a testament to this fan base, this city, and this school. Jack has been up and down this season and has drawn criticism, but I can tell you without a shadow of doubt that Jack wants to win just as bad as the rest of you and is thrilled to be here.

** After watching a few series from each team in the first quarter, I never thought Louisville would lose. They looked like the better coached team, they looked like the team who wanted it more, and they looked like the team that was going to make more plays than their opponent. Even when Jamari Thrash fumbled to start the second half, I never flinched. This team just looked locked in from the start, and they didn't let the previous play impact the current play. The defense didn't blink an eye when they had their backs against the wall. The offense didn't blink an eye when they took the field at 10-7, trailing for the first time all game. Just a pro's pro approach from the top down.

** Estime for Notre Dame averaged two yards per carry. TWO. That's an insanely impressive number by this Louisville defense.

** Jawhar Jordan, meanwhile, averaged 6.8 yards per carry. None of the experts thought Louisville would be the more physically-imposing team at the line of scrimmage. The offensive line dominated. Jaws is so good, and so explosive.

** Louisville had five sacks, and man oh man is Mason Reiger a DUDE. ND's left tackle hadn't given up a sack in 500+ snaps and Reiger whooped him.

** Plummer did what he needed to do.

** I loved what Jeff did with Thrash and the passing game in general. Take the 8-10 yard curl routes when they are there.

** TJ Quinn and Jaylin Alderman are flying around. Quinn had 10 tackles, which led the team, and Alderman just continues to make momentum-swinging plays like this one:

** Devin Neal and Cam'Ron Kelly are playing some football. Jarvis Brownlee and Quincy Riley are, too. Elite play in the secondary.

** Ben Perry coming back into the game after limping off was a major sigh of relief.

** HAND UP! I was wrong about Lole. No signs pointed to him playing in this game, but he played 22 snaps (I will have PFF data up soon)

** Joey Gatewood made a MONSTER catch on 2nd and 10 when Louisville desperately needed to put together a drive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News