ADVERTISEMENT

Tyra's New Pay...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
He’s now being paid the average of the three highest paid ADs in the ACC, so we’re told. (At least now we know how his salary is calculated…)

So who are the three? Based on this link, they appear to be Kevin White of Duke, Ron Wellman of Wake Forest, and Whit Babcock of Virginia Tech. Here are a few facts and a bio for each...

Kevin White, PhD
Age 67
Tenure 9 years
Prior athletics director’s experience: Notre Dame (8 years), Arizona State, and Tulane
National awards: ranked third on SI.com’s most powerful people in college football (2003)

Ron Wellman
Age 70
Tenure 26 years
No prior experience as AD
National awards: Street & Smith's SportsBusiness Journal College ADOY (2008)

Whit Babcock
Age 48
Tenure 4 years
Prior athletics director’s experience: Cincinnati (2-1/2 years), Missouri Exec. Assoc. AD (5 years)

An honest search for a permanent AD at U of L could surface candidates with resumes more along the lines of Whit Babcock. At 51 years of age, Tyra is also closer to the age of Babcock even though he lacks Babcock’s AD credentials.

I’m not sure why Tyra believes he deserves the average pay of these three individuals, esp. with the first two averaged in. The average base pay for public university ADs in the entire conference is $630,000—about half of what Tyra was making, and closer to a reasonable number.

Tyra also didn’t make it clear today how his original salary of $1.2 million was calculated nor whether he plans to refund the $100,000 or so that he was evidently overpaid since taking the job. I wonder what the chances are that more info will be forthcoming?

Tyra-baseball%20pic_zpssayvqaka.jpg

Guy takes a 350,000 pay cut to help meet the Athletic Budget and you still have people that don't like him/trash talk him. Lol. The guy literally has owned all of his press conferences, sounds very fit for the job. He sounds like a leader, acts like a leader, and does things that leaders do. I remember when people said there'd be a max exodus of coaches. Not one, not two, but THREE contracts were extended this week. The coaches think he's doing a great job. He said he's not afraid to make the head coach hire as an interim still in April (if he is an interim at that point). The guy wants whats best for UofL.

Some people are just delusional and can't move on. Quite honestly, it's pathetic.
Some People's Mindset: Jurich > Louisville

Guy takes a 350,000 pay cut to help meet the Athletic Budget and you still have people that don't like him/trash talk him. Lol. The guy literally has owned all of his press conferences, sounds very fit for the job. He sounds like a leader, acts like a leader, and does things that leaders do. I remember when people said there'd be a max exodus of coaches. Not one, not two, but THREE contracts were extended this week. The coaches think he's doing a great job. He said he's not afraid to make the head coach hire as an interim still in April (if he is an interim at that point). The guy wants whats best for UofL.

Some people are just delusional and can't move on. Quite honestly, it's pathetic.
Anyone else hear..... TYRA OWNED HIS PRESS CONFERENCE. He’s the best AD possible.

Maybe if you keep saying the same drivel over and over it will become true. We get your boring ‘Schtick’.... Tyra is a UofL savior, he just supposedly, allegedly, ok then, took a pay cut (and what a businessman!) Coach Padgett just needs to go... blah blah blahhhh...

He’s now being paid the average of the three highest paid ADs in the ACC, so we’re told. (At least now we know how his salary is calculated…)

So who are the three? Based on this link, they appear to be Kevin White of Duke, Ron Wellman of Wake Forest, and Whit Babcock of Virginia Tech. Here are a few facts and a bio for each...

Kevin White, PhD
Age 67
Tenure 9 years
Prior athletics director’s experience: Notre Dame (8 years), Arizona State, and Tulane
National awards: ranked third on SI.com’s most powerful people in college football (2003)

Ron Wellman
Age 70
Tenure 26 years
No prior experience as AD
National awards: Street & Smith's SportsBusiness Journal College ADOY (2008)

Whit Babcock
Age 48
Tenure 4 years
Prior athletics director’s experience: Cincinnati (2-1/2 years), Missouri Exec. Assoc. AD (5 years)

An honest search for a permanent AD at U of L could surface candidates with resumes more along the lines of Whit Babcock. At 51 years of age, Tyra is also closer to the age of Babcock even though he lacks Babcock’s AD credentials.

I’m not sure why Tyra believes he deserves the average pay of these three individuals, esp. with the first two averaged in. The average base pay for public university ADs in the entire conference is $630,000—about half of what Tyra was making, and closer to a reasonable number.

Tyra also didn’t make it clear today how his original salary of $1.2 million was calculated nor whether he plans to refund the $100,000 or so that he was evidently overpaid since taking the job. I wonder what the chances are that more info will be forthcoming?

Honest question. If he’s taking a pay cut, isn’t that an indication that U of L’s salaries in general were way out of touch? What was Jurich’s salary in comparison to Wellman, who had 26 years tenure and a AD of the Year award?

Honest question. If he’s taking a pay cut, isn’t that an indication that U of L’s salaries in general were way out of touch? What was Jurich’s salary in comparison to Wellman, who had 26 years tenure and a AD of the Year award?

I believe UofL has the second largest athletic budget in the ACC. So if you use that as a benchmark then I’d expect the UofL AD pay to be in the top 1/4 of the conference.

I believe UofL has the second largest athletic budget in the ACC. So if you use that as a benchmark then I’d expect the UofL AD pay to be in the top 1/4 of the conference.
Ok, another question. I think that is appropriate for a private entity but what about a public institution whose primary purpose is for learning and not getting athletes (whether educated or not) to the NBA or NFL? Shouldn’t all institutions of higher learning have a level playing field? If not isn’t that why we have so much temptation to cheat?

Reactions: Chapman123
Ok, another question. I think that is appropriate for a private entity but what about a public institution whose primary purpose is for learning and not getting athletes (whether educated or not) to the NBA or NFL? Shouldn’t all institutions of higher learning have a level playing field? If not isn’t that why we have so much temptation to cheat?

That’s part of a much larger discussion. The average pay for professors is around $100k while you have head coaches making 40+ times that. Heck Clemson just announced its gonna pay its d-coordinator $2M/year

Reactions: Chapman123
That’s part of a much larger discussion. The average pay for professors is around $100k while you have head coaches making 40+ times that. Heck Clemson just announced its gonna pay its d-coordinator $2M/year
Professors don't generate revenue and I think are paid pretty well compared to what they would make in another job. Athletic Departments that are profitable and successful can pay whatever they want for employees in my opinion. It doesn't affect the taxpayer.

Professors don't generate revenue and I think are paid pretty well compared to what they would make in another job. Athletic Departments that are profitable and successful can pay whatever they want for employees in my opinion. It doesn't affect the taxpayer.

I agree. Athletic departments are non-profit only in the eyes of the IRS.

Anyone else hear..... TYRA OWNED HIS PRESS CONFERENCE. He’s the best AD possible.

Maybe if you keep saying the same drivel over and over it will become true. We get your boring ‘Schtick’.... Tyra is a UofL savior, he just supposedly, allegedly, ok then, took a pay cut (and what a businessman!) Coach Padgett just needs to go... blah blah blahhhh...

Dont have to keep saying it. It’s already coming true. Im guessing you think we should hire padgett for the long haul as well? Sheesh

I just dont understand how some of you dont understand how what louisville was doing was wrong.....from top to bottom. I think some of you are taking that out on the new guy. Give the guy a damn chance...geez. He seems like a good dude who was given a job of cleaning up some of this mess and seems to be doing it.

Would you have rather had the same old scandals left and right while we as tax payers foot the bill....as long as we were winning?

Dont forget..this is a state ACADEMIC institution....simple as that. I like having a good sports program but I also want my young kids to have viable education options within our state, who arent on the verge of losing their accreditation, whether that be UL, EKU, UK, or WKU etc... Or go to a school with sex scandals being the big thing they are known for when put on a resume.

This all sucks...but it needed to happen and some of you are taking it out on Tyra.

Reactions: HRTheCard
When comparing his pay using apples to apples, let's remember Tyra isn't double dipping from the U of L Foundation.
I didn't mention any pay numbers. I just quoted the three highest paid ADs in the ACC and their experience along with Tyra's...

I just dont understand how some of you dont understand how what louisville was doing was wrong.....from top to bottom. I think some of you are taking that out on the new guy. Give the guy a damn chance...geez. He seems like a good dude who was given a job of cleaning up some of this mess and seems to be doing it.

Would you have rather had the same old scandals left and right while we as tax payers foot the bill....as long as we were winning?

Dont forget..this is a state ACADEMIC institution....simple as that. I like having a good sports program but I also want my young kids to have viable education options within our state, who arent on the verge of losing their accreditation, whether that be UL, EKU, UK, or WKU etc... Or go to a school with sex scandals being the big thing they are known for when put on a resume.

This all sucks...but it needed to happen and some of you are taking it out on Tyra.
There wasn't anything we know about that athletics was "doing wrong". (The University overall is a different discussion not for this thread.) That department had ONE key employee with a problem.

No one's gonna carelessly smear Jurich's reputation in a discussion I'm involved in. Try another tact...

So am I supposed to believe this thread wasn't started to complain about Tyra's pay?
Well, one thing you'll discover is that the pay numbers on the list I linked above don't jive with Tyra's reported average of the "three highest paid ADs in the ACC". So why don't you find out where he got his numbers, and then we can sharpen our pencils on what the number should be?

I merely question his credentials alongside the guys he's using to benchmark his own salary. Understand??

Well, one thing you'll discover is that the pay numbers on the list I linked above don't jive with Tyra's reported average of the "three highest paid ADs in the ACC". So why don't you find out where he got his numbers, and then we can sharpen our pencils on what the number should be?

I merely question his credentials alongside the guys he's using to benchmark his own salary. Understand??

I understand fine. I just don't care. Pitino and Jurich are gone. Let it go.

I understand fine. I just don't care. Pitino and Jurich are gone. Let it go.
I ain't letting anything go that's unresolved.

I said the same thing about an arena disaster a decade ago before ground was even broken. You and others may not like hearing this, but in many respects, this baby's just getting started...

I ain't letting anything go that's unresolved.

I said the same thing about an arena disaster a decade ago before ground was even broken. You and others may not like hearing this, but in many respects, this baby's just getting started...
I hate to break it to you but it is resolved. Rick and Tom are not walking through that door.

I suppose it is possible that the real hidden agenda, for guys like Grissom, is getting an NBA team for the YUM center. That is why they built it. Rick and Tom were in the way. The average NBA team is worth $1.65 billion. Maybe Tyra is in line for a little bit of that action. Ironically, that might fix Zipp’s problem with the Yum, but for a Card fan, losing Tom is a big, big price. Just silly conjecture, anyhoo...

Mike Tom and Rick we all understand are not coming back thru that door. That does not mean we have to support a Puppet of Grissom, Postel, and Papa John. Let's start by getting uniters in positions of power, not dividers ,people who have personal agendas that will ending costing UL more money. Sorry Mike Tyra was hand picked by Grissom. Accept the fact he cannot, and will not be a uniter by virtue of his association with his mentor, and Puppet Master!

Reactions: Vestavia57
Screw the NBA, tell me one top successful NCAA program that shares anything (arena, corporate sponsers, the media spotlight, etc.) with an NBA team. Maybe you could argue UCLA, but outside of the Bruins (who doesn’t share an arena) I can’t think of one. If you’re a UofL fan you can’t be in favor of the NBA. It would be totally detrimental to the Cards success.

Last edited:
Screw the NBA, tell me one top successful program that shares anything (arena, corporate sponsers, the media spotlight, etc.) with an NBA team. Maybe you could argue UCLA, but outside of the Bruins (who doesn’t share an arena) I can’t think of one. If you’re a UofL fan you can’t be in favor of the NBA. It would be totally detrimental to the Cards success.
UCLA is lucky to draw 8000 to a game even in one of the largest cities in the world.

Posthole is that you?

Mike Tom and Rick we all understand are not coming back thru that door. That does not mean we have to support a Puppet of Grissom, Postel, and Papa John. Let's start by getting uniters in positions of power, not dividers ,people who have personal agendas that will ending costing UL more money. Sorry Mike Tyra was hand picked by Grissom. Accept the fact he cannot, and will not be a uniter by virtue of his association with his mentor, and Puppet Master!

You should talk things over with the Governor. You must hate him now.

I hate to break it to you but it is resolved. Rick and Tom are not walking through that door.
It has nothing to do with Pitino and Jurich. Your university's outliving all of us. And you have a clown show in charge of it now. This has to change, and you're in the minority thinking otherwise...
UCLA is lucky to draw 8000 to a game even in one of the largest cities in the world.
Earth to MM... You're making the guy's point.

parade%20of%20fools_zpskpipxzq5.jpg

It has nothing to do with Pitino and Jurich. Your university's outliving all of us. And you have a clown show in charge of it now. This has to change, and you're in the minority thinking otherwise...

Earth to MM... You're making the guy's point.

parade%20of%20fools_zpskpipxzq5.jpg
What point? Most of us have no interest in an NBA team here. Yes it would probably hurt us. Would UCLA draw better without the Lakers? Not sure it makes any difference. Laker fans are not college basketball fans and if you can't sell out your small arena in a city that large, there is just no interest regardless of the NBA.

Zipp you are right on.
Am I correct that our new AD just figured out that UofL will be losing the revenue on 4000 seats.
Will we hear later that Uofl renegotiated
the contracts to get a savings of a couple hundred bucks?
by eliminating 4000 seats?

Reactions: zipp
Zipp you are right on.
Am I correct that our new AD just figured out that UofL will be losing the revenue on 4000 seats.
Will we hear later that Uofl renegotiated
the contracts to get a savings of a couple hundred bucks?
by eliminating 4000 seats?
Tyra would probably like this issue to just go away... It was prompted by a flawed set of data presented by WDRB this week--which he also should have pointed out because that flaw was obvious.

What he should have done IMO is redirect the narrative to how a stadium expansion is justified, which was the underlying WDRB question of "do we need to expand?" That question's irrelevant because it's not determined by attendance...it's determined by whether it can be paid for, whether it's financially justified. So it really doesn't matter what the actual seat count is or what we were told.

I heard someone say once upon a time that you're not gonna expand the stadium just to install 3,000 or so high revenue seats. Even though those seats are footing 98% of the bill, you're gonna bolt on at least another 5,000 to meet demand when you need to. Whether that's 4,326 or 6,419 extra seats doesn't matter. You simply add them because they're "free" to add to a project that's financially justified otherwise.

It bothers me a little (maybe a lot) that a numbers guy now making the modest sum of $850K annually doesn't jump all over that argument. Concerns me what else he doesn't know...

I actually agree that he could’ve pivoted to talking about the luxury seats paying for themselves and that mattters more than what the total seats numbers are. However since we were one day after national signing day, he pivoted to how the expansion of the football facility was very important in attracting top talent and how that was reflected in our highest ranked recruiting class.

I'm not an athletics department insider. And that argument--financial justification--is not in any way nuanced... It's always been the way the athletic department has made these facilities projects work.

To the extent that Tyra doesn't make use of it suggests he's never been close to U of L capital projects historically. And no one is evidently talking to him...

I'm not an athletics department insider. And that argument--financial justification--is not in any way nuanced... It's always been the way the athletic department has made these facilities projects work.

To the extent that Tyra doesn't make use of it suggests he's never been close to U of L capital projects historically. And no one is evidently talking to him...

I feel pretty confident that Tyra is comfortable understanding capital projects and financing them. Your nitpicking in this space is ridiculous.

I feel pretty confident that Tyra is comfortable understanding capital projects and financing them. Your nitpicking in this space is ridiculous.
Then why doesn't he offer the easiest and most accurate explanation? Now he's got his own people saying different things about the number.

And mister-no-reprimand-on-file says I'M nitpicking?..Good stuff.

parade%20of%20fools%202_zpsdkfvdkfu.jpg

Then why doesn't he offer the easiest and most accurate explanation? Now he's got his own people saying different things about the number.

The no reprimand on file is actually a significant part of a managers job. On the other hand, someone not taking your preferred direction on a press conference would not be significant. Equivocation at its finest.

The no reprimand on file is actually a significant part of a managers job. On the other hand, someone not taking your preferred direction on a press conference would not be significant. Equivocation at its finest.
He doesn't know how it was it justified. Your new finance guy's oblivious. He just looks smart next to these other guys...

Beginnings_zpspill7bd2.jpg

He doesn't know how it was it justified. Your new finance guy's oblivious. He just looks smart next to these other guys...

Beginnings_zpspill7bd2.jpg

Your first sentence doesn’t make sense. Your second sentence is worth about as much as your first sentence. Your third sentence may be true.

Our new AD could not manage a Dairy
Queen based on what he has done so far.
Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT