ADVERTISEMENT

Tyra Given Two Bonuses for Previous Two Years

Mark Ennis

2500+
Apr 17, 2014
https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...-director-vince-tyra-gets-bonuses/1771864001/

From the article:

Less than 18 months after slashing his own salary by $350,000, University of Louisville athletic director Vince Tyra was rewarded with a pair of six-figure bonuses at Thursday’s Board of Trustees meeting.

Tyra, who replaced Tom Jurich on an interim basis in October 2017, will collect $261,000 for steering the athletic department back toward normalcy during a tumultuous time whose end is not yet in sight.

Yet even as U of L braces for a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA concerning potential infractions committed in the recruiting of basketball star Brian Bowen, University President Neeli Bendapudi says she could think of no better person than Tyra to make the athletic department and the university as a whole a great place to learn, work and invest.

Her confidence was reflected in the two bonuses approved unanimously at Thursday’s board meeting: a $150,000 payment for the 2018-19 fiscal year and a $111,000 pro-rated bonus for Tyra’s previous partial year.

Tyra presented a self-evaluation during the May 24 University of Louisville Athletic Association meeting, highlighting financial stability, improved transparency and, notably, no new Level 1 or Level 2 NCAA violations. Though costs associated with the hiring of basketball coach Chris Mack and the firing of football coach Bobby Petrino have significantly depleted university endowment funds, Tyra has helped the balance sheet by cutting costs and closing five seven-figure sponsorship deals.

“You never know when you get into these things what you’re going to endure,” Tyra said this spring. “It’s a test of your leadership. I just use my personal example, being a former baseball pitcher. ... You solve it one out at a time, one problem at a time. All the noise, all the negativity, it doesn’t wear on me.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News