ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers

Bardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Maybe I missed this, but...Just saw that Trey Leonard and Tom Borden entered the transfer portal. Apparently Kellan Tullio had already done so. I get Borden and Tullio. Trey is a bit of a headscratcher though. He played a LOT this season and by all appearances would be a starter going into next season. Anyone have any insight into any of these young players? Transfers are going to happen - just curious on the reasons (if known).

Reactions: Jgrimes1320
Maybe I missed this, but...Just saw that Trey Leonard and Tom Borden entered the transfer portal. Apparently Kellan Tullio had already done so. I get Borden and Tullio. Trey is a bit of a headscratcher though. He played a LOT this season and by all appearances would be a starter going into next season. Anyone have any insight into any of these young players? Transfers are going to happen - just curious on the reasons (if known).
Leonard did play a lot of OF but also was asked to share time with Masterman, Usher and even Hawkins. If Brown, Usher and Masterman return along with Hawkins, he would suffer a similar fate. That’s not even considering what we are bringing in.

Reactions: gocds and PHCARD
Trey was a scholarship player and high level recruit out of Cedar rapids Iowa HS, and he led UL in batting average at .313; arguably the best defensive OFer this year as well .......... huge loss if true.

Levi Usher is a great defensive outfielder, with incredible speed ................. but he hit right at the Mendoza line with a .216 batting average. Masterman hit only .240 this year, so I cannot imagine Levi or Cam playing in front of Trey. Actually at mid season, Trey was hitting over .400. With that said, Trey really did slump over the course of the late regular season; something like 1 for 21 in one span that might indicate why he is leaving.

Trey was a scholarship player and high level recruit out of Cedar rapids Iowa HS, and he led UL in batting average at .313; arguably the best defensive OFer this year as well .......... huge loss if true.
Davis followed by Brown led U of L in batting average. He was definitely good defensively which is why he usually came in as a defensive replacement. With Brown, Usher, Hawkins and maybe Masterman coming back, seems like playing time is probably his issues. A loss for sure but not necessarily a high loss in mho.

I believe UofL baseball will be just fine going forward. It’s my understanding that we have some really good freshmen coming into the program. With that said I’m not really sure who those players might be. It does appear that the super prospect from Trinity just might never see a college baseball field. If true good luck to this young man.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: Deeva
Had read that about him (Lile?) too. I think second consecutive top ranked player in the state. This is the type of guy we could really use though. He’d be hometown hero and bring an immediate impact (most likely).

Had read that about him (Lile?) too. I think second consecutive top ranked player in the state. This is the type of guy we could really use though. He’d be hometown hero and bring an immediate impact (most likely).
Yeah I’d like to keep him as well but the big, big bucks of a professional contract generally win out. And that’s understandable.

GO CARDS!!!

The last two years of baseball with the damn covid effects have really messed with roster size. I really can't blame these guys for wanting to play, somewhere.

Reactions: gocds
Not sure what our 2022 Baseball schedule looks like, but if IU returns back, it is possible we could see Perkins on the mound as a Hoosier. Jack’s velocity was an attraction to both MLB scouts and fans alike, but his lack of control explains his need to continue his rehab in college, but it does not explain his transfer from here. CDM and CRW gave Perkins every opportunity this last year.

Reactions: gocds and Bardman
Not sure what our 2022 Baseball schedule looks like, but if IU returns back, it is possible we could see Perkins on the mound as a Hoosier. Jack’s velocity was an attraction to both MLB scouts and fans alike, but his lack of control explains his need to continue his rehab in college, but it does not explain his transfer from here. CDM and CRW gave Perkins every opportunity this last year.
Naw. Nothing to this. He’s going home. Wants another chance to prove himself.

Jack could ”prove himself” right here at UL, it’s not like Bloomington Indiana is across the country.

Transfers. Hmmmmmmmm, makes me wonder who we might have coming in, especially from the JUCOs. Perhaps someone has a good handle on this. And we should also consider that our kids that are transferring out may be doing so because of whom we might have coming here. I can see CDM being perfectly honest with our kids in that regard.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: PHCARD
CDM has a great reputation of transparency when it comes to dealing with the kids and their parents. I believe you are closer to the truth GOCDS that even you know; CDM is not about to watch a bunch of his student-athletes leave without "plan B" in place.

He has plenty of horses in the stable. It may just be a case of available playing time why a couple of guys left. Again, this happens in college baseball and we have been pretty lucky by not having too many leave. This year, because of numbers, CDM may very well not need any transfers. If a weekend starting-level pitcher was available I could see that as an option but that’s about it.

One thing for sure, after witnessing Henry going first in this year’s draft and recognizing UL’s remarkable history with its players ending drafted and playing in MLB ……… I would expect we are in the top echelon of options for talented kids thinking about transferring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT