ADVERTISEMENT

Top to Bottom Recruit Rankings

If Brohm was here you narrative would be how Tyra was paying money we didn't have.
That narrative came about when "Vince" decided to spend $20-25 million to land Brohm a few months ago.

But I now feel a lot better that we got Satterfield and saved 10-15%.

:rolleyes:

Purdue's 2019 class was ranked #26 per Rivals. U of L's was ranked #89. [ notes at bottom...]

Purdue and U of L each have 3 commits for the 2020 class. Ours average 1.7 stars, Purdue's 3.0 stars.

Each school's Louisville commits by class...

Purdue

2018: Rondale Moore, Charles Allen, Kadin Smith
2019: Milton Wright (****)

U of L
2019: Aidan Robbins

[Rivals Recruiting Notes... #89 is the lowest U of L class ranking since Rivals started ranking teams... #26 is higher than any U of L class has ever ranked; #29 ranking was achieved in 2011 and 2017... K-rag's worst class was #76 in 2009...]
Brohms first class at Purdue SUCKED. It was 72 or something. Now after he came out and won his first year it improved but still was ranked in the 50’s. Now he had a top 25 in 2019 but that was after he coached 2 seasons there. To compare Satt 2019 class at UL to Brohms 2019 class at Purdue is rediculous. How about we compare Brohms FIRST class to CSS first class. I can guarantee you they will be close. Brohm brought half of his recruits that were going to WKU and flipped them to Purdue. These weren’t high caliber recruits

Of course Purdue’s recruiting class in 2019 was bigger than Louisvilles
Purdue's average star rating is 0.25 higher, which has nothing to do with class size.

And before you say that's not much of a difference, it's more than the difference between Indiana and Southern Cal or Wisconsin.
Brohms first class at Purdue SUCKED. It was 72 or something. Now after he came out and won his first year it improved but still was ranked in the 50’s. Now he had a top 25 in 2019 but that was after he coached 2 seasons there. To compare Satt 2019 class at UL to Brohms 2019 class at Purdue is rediculous. How about we compare Brohms FIRST class to CSS first class. I can guarantee you they will be close. Brohm brought half of his recruits that were going to WKU and flipped them to Purdue. These weren’t high caliber recruits
Louisville has had a better program than Purdue which is why Brohm had a bigger hill to climb.

I already gave you the relevant classes to compare: first year coaches at U of L. Satterfield's class is lower than any of them were ranked since data have been collected...

Purdue’s first class with Brohm was ranked 72. It was no better than Satterfields first. On top of that they’ve only had a early signing period for 2 yrs or so. Most recruits are signed by December. CSS had a lot less time to recruit. You can say Brohms 72nd ranked class his first yr was better than CSS 72nd. (24/7 rank) I’m telling you Brohm didn’t recruit any better than this staff until he got out and started winning football games. Then he had a decent class, really just Rondalle Moore and a bunch of average 3star recruits. Im not even saying the guy will come out and win 5 games but I can be confident in saying IF he does win 5-6 games there will be a major bump in recruiting. Recruits have never seen them coach a game, it would be hard for me to sign with them.

I already gave you the relevant classes to compare: first year coaches at U of L. Satterfield's class is lower than any of them were ranked since data have been collected...
If your argument is that Brohm would have been a better recruiter than Satterfield, the relevant comparison is Brohm’s first year to Satterfield’s first year.

Purdue’s first class with Brohm was ranked 72. It was no better than Satterfields first. On top of that they’ve only had a early signing period for 2 yrs or so. Most recruits are signed by December. CSS had a lot less time to recruit. You can say Brohms 72nd ranked class his first yr was better than CSS 72nd. (24/7 rank) I’m telling you Brohm didn’t recruit any better than this staff until he got out and started winning football games. Then he had a decent class, really just Rondalle Moore and a bunch of average 3star recruits. Im not even saying the guy will come out and win 5 games but I can be confident in saying IF he does win 5-6 games there will be a major bump in recruiting. Recruits have never seen them coach a game, it would be hard for me to sign with them.
Let me reiterate the most telling stat as far as Brohm, the recruiter...

His most recent class was ranked higher than ANY CLASS IN U OF L HISTORY. That includes U of L coaches who I'm pretty sure are as good as Brohm coaching-wise, and to a program that has been inferior to U of L's for many years.

If you wanna second guess Brohm's true coaching ability, I'm not going to the mat arguing otherwise. But there's no question that the guy is recruiting much better than we are, and he would have in all likelihood made that happen here almost immediately. In fact, that was the overwhelming U of L fan viewpoint just a few months ago before all of the butthurt started...

If your argument is that Brohm would have been a better recruiter than Satterfield, the relevant comparison is Brohm’s first year to Satterfield’s first year.
No, it's not. Those are different programs, and historically (recent), a much worse one at Purdue. If you wanna have THAT debate, start yet another thread about whose football program is better.

There's a premium thread going as we speak--started by Mark Ennis--about how little can be done to affect a school's recruiting in the short run. You can't just disregard that variable (school/program).

And Satterfield would have to be the best U of L recruiter in our history to exceed what Brohm is currently doing. My friend, that ain't likely...

No, it's not. Those are different programs, and historically (recent), a much worse one at Purdue. If you wanna have THAT debate, start yet another thread about whose football program is better.

There's a premium thread going as we speak--started by Mark Ennis--about how little can be done to affect a school's recruiting in the short run. You can't just disregard that variable (school/program).

And Satterfield would have to be the best U of L recruiter in our history to exceed what Brohm is currently doing. My friend, that ain't likely...

While I totally agree with you about recruiting, I still think Satterfield ends up being the better hire simply because sooner rather than later Brohm is going to the NFL. The last thing U Of L needs is another coach to get the program up and running only to bolt the following year and I don’t see Satterfield doing that.....

While I totally agree with you about recruiting, I still think Satterfield ends up being the better hire simply because sooner rather than later Brohm is going to the NFL. The last thing U Of L needs is another coach to get the program up and running only to bolt the following year and I don’t see Satterfield doing that.....
I don't disagree about Satterfield, but this thread's about recruiting...

Reactions: jarheadky

I don’t think the general perception about Louisville’s football program among the general public or among recruits is as strong as it is among our fan base.

Reactions: arky tigwer
I don’t think the general perception about Louisville’s football program among the general public or among recruits is as strong as it is among our fan base.

I’m not so sure about that, the facilities and the campus really stick out to recruits. I think recruiting took a hit toward the end of Petrino’s time there, but you all know more about than I do. Satterfield resonates with kids it’s just a matter of time before recruiting will pick up, I wouldn’t get caught up in recruiting rankings right now, having kids that want to be there and are willing to work for the coaches is a big plus, everything else should fall in line over time, it’s rebuilding no one’s ever satisfied till the winning starts again...

Well, you can reopen that debate. But as you say, you're not likely to have many supporters in this space. And program status is a significant recruiting factor.

You can't argue that Brohm is recruiting at an equal or higher level at Purdue than any U of L coach has ever recruited. Objective rankings tell you that...

The 2020 class is off to a less impressive start, as well. And, now with another local kid picking UK, not good. I know, give it time. And I will. Just right now, there's not much momentum with recruiting.
It’s going to get a lot worse when Tisdale and Oxendine commit to Kentucky. Who knows who else they’ll get. It looks like their class could rank between 10-15

Ill bet 1000 to your 100 they dont end up in top 15! And go 500 to your 100 top 20.

Let me get this straight.

We don’t like the class, and “can’t” win with it.

So we’ll be happier if we offer ALL 4 and 5 stars......and end up with zero recruits in 2019/20?

Then, the “nobodies” we are getting (maybe, unless a blue blood offers late) go to CUSA, MAC, and AAC.

Makes sense to me. :rolleyes::confused:

We had a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP HC and NEVER did recruit in the top 25.

But we’re going to get chapped because CSS isn’t from jump? And where are all the “we’re gonna recruit like crazy with Cort” crowd? Not gonna give him any time?

Beam me up.

Until my lying eyes see differently, I’m tickled to death with who we have, and what he’s doing.

Building a BASE with good, SMART kids who will work, and play hard.

The way Dabo did. ;)

This is a logical post, bro.

Scott is building a bully. That starts with the foundation on the lines and defense. We will be cracking heads in no time.

Don’t know what movie you’re getting at, bro, but I know Scott’s cards aren’t some hallmark shit. This is true grit, working man stuff, bro. Can’t wait for our guys to stand up and show out!

Well, you can reopen that debate. But as you say, you're not likely to have many supporters in this space. And program status is a significant recruiting factor.

You can't argue that Brohm is recruiting at an equal or higher level at Purdue than any U of L coach has ever recruited. Objective rankings tell you that...
I am think you are correct in that the programs history is very good, but it sure hasn't resulted in higher recruiting rankings. The number of pros Louisville has had over the past 10-15 years hasn't resulted in higher recruiting rankings. A Heisman winner really didn't have an impact on recruiting. The move to the ACC hasn't really changed much. I think it is a legit question at Louisville does the status of the program really have impact? It sure doesn't appear to matter.

My take is Louisville has been unable to hold on to its coaches when they really got it rolling. They have never been able to capitalize on their great years. Louisville doesn't have the luxury programs with real college football status are afforded. 4-5 Star kids aren't coming to Louisville because it's Louisville.

There is no doubt if Brohm came to Louisville they would had a very good class. Brohm would of had to deal with 2-10, however it wouldn't of mattered locally or with the kids that he had on his radar. They trusted Brohm. I think more than anything the fans were more excited about his recruiting potential than anything else. Satterfield didn't have that luxury, 2-10 is wrapped around his neck until he isn't 2-10. On top of that the past staff ignored KY and pissed off a lot of people. Bottom line he took over a toxic mess without having the trust that Brohm would of had immediately. To expect him to kill for the get go is pretty unfair.

It is way to early to celebrate or give to much criticism to Satterfield regarding recruiting. I like what they have done, but let's play a season first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Villebandit
Zero inside information but from reading the tea leaves, I feel Brohm was likely ours until seeing what Petrino left. Dude is in position to wait it out and take stupid BFE Purdue money until Scott gets us on better footing and either moves on or is fired.

For clarification, i believe in Scott, bros, but let’s be real. Dude could solidly rebuild this program and still be fired in year five if the on the field results aren’t there. I believe in the #birdgang and in Vince and Neeli but football is a bullshit business. This is going to take time.

"quibble": See Zipp! Love Tyra! Off to as good a start as TJ did in late 90's and TJ was the best.
To be fair Jurich left Tyra a lot more to work with than when he started here but I'm happy with the direction he has the Athletic Department going.

Rivals didn't rank classes when John L signed his first class to my knowledge. However, their database includes K-rag's, Charlie's, and Petrino 1.0 and 2.0's first classes. Satterfield's is lower than all four of them.

I don't correlate football recruiting to on-the-field success that closely; in fact, I place more importance on coaching ability. We haven't had a chance to observe that with Satterfield yet, a guy that I think could very well be as good as Brohm.

In a thread about RECRUITING, just don't tell me that our failure to land Brohm isn't--or won't be for awhile--a significant factor in our recruiting success. You're either butthurt or in denial...
2-10 is the real significant factor.

I still don't think any of us really understand how bad it was under Bobby especially late. Their record was 2-10 but it was a god awful 2-10. Satterfield doesn't have the pedigree to come in and kill recruiting wise. It is going to take some time.

NC is killing this year again. I think being the state school in a pretty good recruiting state has a lot to do with that success. UK would have that same kind of success if KY was a hotbed of recruiting. Plus having a Brown back at least initially was a big plus in the recruiting game.

Carolina went 3-9 in 2017. Their recruiting class last year was ranked 23rd on Rivals.

One year's record ain't a deal breaker...
It hurts us more because we don’t have the tradition and visibility of other schools. Even UNC can weather that storm better, because they are a flagship school with a long history of playing football at the highest level. Carrying the name of your state is actually a big deal. Moreover, UNC hired a big name coach who still has recruiting ties in the state. We hired an up and comer. I like our position better long term but short term he will struggle a bit. People outside of Louisville must understand that around the country many people aren’t really aware of UofL as a football power. We’re sort of in a mish mosh with the Purdue’s, Texas Techs, and Colorados of the world. When you have to go out of state to get talent, that’s a problem. Also, it’s not just the record but how we looked. Getting crushed by Clemson and Alabama is one thing. Humiliation by BC, NC State and Wake is another.

It hurts us more because we don’t have the tradition and visibility of other schools. Even UNC can weather that storm better, because they are a flagship school with a long history of playing football at the highest level. Carrying the name of your state is actually a big deal. Moreover, UNC hired a big name coach who still has recruiting ties in the state. We hired an up and comer. I like our position better long term but short term he will struggle a bit. People outside of Louisville must understand that around the country many people aren’t really aware of UofL as a football power. We’re sort of in a mish mosh with the Purdue’s, Texas Techs, and Colorados of the world. When you have to go out of state to get talent, that’s a problem. Also, it’s not just the record but how we looked. Getting crushed by Clemson and Alabama is one thing. Humiliation by BC, NC State and Wake is another.

Thats why I also agree, we are better off in the long run bc bottom line after you get through a couple of classes its about coaching and culture. Clemson is the modern day example!

I think it's gonna be a difficult road for a couple of you guys to argue that Carolina has a much better football tradition than Louisville. As basketball obsessed as their fanbase is, I doubt their own fans would die on that hill...

I think it's gonna be a difficult road for a couple of you guys to argue that Carolina has a much better football tradition than Louisville. As basketball obsessed as their fanbase is, I doubt their own fans would die on that hill...
I just thing the advantages they have are flagship status and a name coach.

Carolina has won 5 ACC titles since joining in 1953. The last title was ... 1980. Yikes! They have been to 31 bowl games with a 14-17 record or something close. Not exactly a football powerhouse.

Reactions: zipp
Carolina has won 5 ACC titles since joining in 1953. The last title was ... 1980. Yikes! They have been to 31 bowl games with a 14-17 record or something close. Not exactly a football powerhouse.
It certainly doesn't suggest that recruits would just disregard that school's 3-9 season--if one year's record matters that much--and band together to comprise next year's 23rd ranked recruiting class under a lame duck coach.

That's why I don't think one year (like 2-10) matters that much. If anything, that along with a new coach might suggest a kid could come in and quickly make his mark. Let's hope that happens...

Carolina is a true blue (sky; Carolina) blood basketball program that plays in a P5 conference hoping to make a name in football. It hasn’t happened yet despite all the talent the state has to offer. We shouldn’t expect it to happen overnight at Louisville either, much as I wish it would!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT