ADVERTISEMENT

Top 20 Thanksgiving Side Dishes (ranked)

Howie Lindsey

Elite Member
Silver Member
May 29, 2001
Louisville, KY
www.cardinalsports.com
Because this is Rivals.com and everything should be ranked...

1. Sweet Potato Casserole - With Brown Sugar and Pecans, delicious.
2. Mac and Cheese - If you don't have Mac and Cheese at thanksgiving you are at the wrong fete.
3. Broccoli-Cheese Casserole - My favorite style of this has Ritz crackers on top and enough cheese to stop your digestive tract in three bites.
4. Brussels and Bacon - Baked on a cookie sheet together and served warm.
5. Corn Pudding - In a casserole dish this is almost always money.

6. Green Bean Casserole - Simple and classic with onion straws on top.
7. Baked Apples - My sister puts cinnamon and red hots in there. BOOM.
8. Hawaiian Rolls - Not sure this is a side dish, but they are delicious.
9. Canned Cranberry Sauce - It is berry with the ridges still intact on the sides.
10. Cornbread - Could be great (cast-iron) could be terrible (dry and crunchy). Use discretion.

11. Mashed Potatoes - Mashed Potatoes are the Kansas basketball of Thanksgiving side dishes - always in the conversation, always assumed to be elite, but most of the time not really elite and frequently should be better than they turn out.
12. Homemade Cranberry Sauce - Wildly inconsistent. Could be great, could be awful. You don't know until you try it.
13. Creamed Spinach - I've had it done very well. I've also had it terrible. Who knows.
14. Roasted Cauliflower - Don't knock it until you have tried it.
15. Potato Au Gratin - Gonzaga. Interesting and appealing. This dish looks incredible when it comes out of the oven, but almost never lives up to its resume and can often be a mess under its beautiful outward appearance.

16. Roasted Butternut Squash - Okay. I guess.
17. Grilled Asparagus - Can be done really well and every now and then could make a Final Four run, but often mushy and weak. Something you put on your plate to try to act healthy.
18. Stuffing/Dressing - You have to have it, you have to eat it, but when was the last time it was exciting?
19. Salad - All of them. They are always around at Thanksgiving and you almost always have to put them on your plate, but you never like it.
20. Haricots Verts - Those are just church'ed up green beans and they are an auto-bid league. Lehigh.

And my No. 1 every year - Corn Ooh LaLa. (bacon and grilled onions with sweet corn and cream. Hot Damn it is good!)

Reactions: Cardiac Red
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News