ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Jurich/ Bobby Petrino, ACC office......... this information is disturbing.

Ok, guys. Bitter loss. Clemson won. The no calls, questionable officiating, that's life on the road. Home teams, especially teams like Clemson, in an environment like that, benefit from officiating, or lack thereof. It's been the way of college football since forever. So, congrats to the Tigers. The better team doesn't always win.

I love how Louisville fans are irate about the refs, yet won't acknowledge that their over-matched o line wasn't called once for holding despite it occurring on nearly every play. Most Louisville fans I met at the game were great. The ones in this thread don't quite seem like they're ready for big boy football yet. That will come with time.

Reactions: wilkie01
I love how Louisville fans are irate about the refs, yet won't acknowledge that their over-matched o line wasn't called once for holding despite it occurring on nearly every play. Most Louisville fans I met at the game were great. The ones in this thread don't quite seem like they're ready for big boy football yet. That will come with time.

Yes, our OL had all of the false start penalties caused by the crowd noise and pressure in the first half, but no, they weren't overmatched by your excellent defensive front. The middle of the line consists of three seniors (one fifth year recruited by Coach Strong) and two second year JC transfers. The two sophomore OT's will almost certainly be first three round NFL draft picks in a couple of years. All five of them are physical, athletic, and coached with great technique. The last point, along with the fact that Lamar Jackson is so elusive that the OL doesn't need to hold, is why you you did not see any holding called against UofL in this game.

Ok, guys. Bitter loss. Clemson won. The no calls, questionable officiating, that's life on the road. Home teams, especially teams like Clemson, in an environment like that, benefit from officiating, or lack thereof. It's been the way of college football since forever. So, congrats to the Tigers. The better team doesn't always win.
going to take this advice and let it go.
as I said in the OP, we will never be in that position again.

Reactions: wilkie01
Yes, our OL had all of the false start penalties caused by the crowd noise and pressure in the first half, but no, they weren't overmatched by your excellent defensive front. The middle of the line consists of three seniors (one fifth year recruited by Coach Strong) and two second year JC transfers. The two sophomore OT's will almost certainly be first three round NFL draft picks in a couple of years. All five of them are physical, athletic, and coached with great technique. The last point, along with the fact that Lamar Jackson is so elusive that the OL doesn't need to hold, is why you you did not see any holding called against UofL in this game.

having an elusive QB actually makes holds more likely to be called. When a QB is in the pocket OL know which way they DL is trying to go IE they know where the QB is standing. They are able to keep their hands inside and actually get away with some holding. However, when the QB starts to scramble around they no longer have that advantage and now when the DL tries to go a different direction than they are expecting that inside hold now becomes much more apparent.

I hate to tell you UL fans this...but the head referee's daughter is a Clem student. He writes checks to that glorified barnyard and therefore should've never been sent to do that game by the ACC.

The ACC is heavily, heavily invested in getting Clem or FSU back to the playoff. UL took care of FSU. They WERE NOT going to allow UL to keep the Golden Child, DeShawn Watson, from a potential rematch with Alabama or Ohio State. I hate it for your team because you deserved to win the game. The number of holding calls that were ignored by the crew are a disgrace. I only hope you all run the table and get a shot at those Rednecks on a neutral field with a PAC12 or BIG10 crew. It won't be close.

Dude you are aware you were called for zero holds all game going against a very very talented defensive line with a QB who scrambled a lot. That is pretty much unheard of.

There were a ton of missed calls each way.

Did we Clemson get called for holding? Seriously, "holding" is one of the most confusing calls in all of football. Not sure I would use that because I think that one cuts both ways.

having an elusive QB actually makes holds more likely to be called. When a QB is in the pocket OL know which way they DL is trying to go IE they know where the QB is standing. They are able to keep their hands inside and actually get away with some holding. However, when the QB starts to scramble around they no longer have that advantage and now when the DL tries to go a different direction than they are expecting that inside hold now becomes much more apparent.

A reasonable explanation, but it still doesn't explain why the UofL OL has not been called for holding all year. The reason for that is pretty clear from my viewpoint - the OL has been coached to use the proper technique and instructed to let go when the DL tries to change direction, because with Jackson's combination of straightline speed and elusive cuts the DL has no chance to catch him in the open field.

I don't know why we have so many Card fans playing the I'm lame card. This game was down right officiated horribly and one-sided. If you card fans want to take the "it's just football" attitude and "I love Clemson fans" attitude then why don't you just go sit on their side next game.

The place was loud and the noise was giving us trouble but they sure didn't need any help from the referees. Just look at the photos that were posted by beasley and those are just the tip of the iceberg. Clemson was obviously coached to hold because the calls wouldn't come. I don't give a damn about the last play of the game, I'm talking about the defensive and offensive holding and pass interference "no calls" that were going on all game long. The Louisville players were getting irritated on the field; not because of the Clemson but because of the referees. I am however very impressed with Louisville's composure to come back when the deck was stacked against them.

There is a smoking gun and nobody will take notice because of the lame cardinal fans that are in love with Clemson and their fans.

The refs were bad by being inconsistent. As a UofL fan, it appeared to be more no calls going against my Cards than the Tigers, but I'm openly bias. Maybe the refs were just bad period. I'll concede I'm not objective.

Regardless, at this point, what difference does it make? Complaining about it now accomplishes nothing. Clemson won, we lost. That's not going to change. Time to move on IMO. We got Duke coming to town on the 14th of October. Time to take out all that frustration of losing a game that was winnable on Duke.

I just saw the "conspiracy" thing.

In JQ's defense, that sideline marker was a screwup, and confusing.

In the heat of it, he apparently thought he had the 1st, and was saving clock.

I apologize to JQ and have to give the benefit of the doubt to him.

On to Duke.

Just like i say in basketball;

Refs are human. They miss and make calls.

Even if they were in the tank for Clemson, UofL had the ball with an 8 point lead.
Score on that drive, Cards more than likely win.

To be Champions, sometimes you have to win on the road, in a hostile environment.

I do think the LB should be suspended 1 game. He may not be a dirty player, however
that was a dirty play.

Missed ref calls didnt lose the game. Cards lost it, Clemson won it.
Cards will win in Death Valley in 2018.

To put that loss on James Quick's shoulders is ludicrous and makes me think that anyone that sides with that sentiment is either a Clemson fan or they didn't watch the game because there were 59 minutes and 26 seconds of game played before that instance in which we were abused by the home brewed referee's.

I'm far from being a U of L fan as most of the guys from the basketball board know, but I'm also straight forward about things - yes, this was a road game in one of the loudest and most electric venues in college football. Yes, you were facing a dynamite QB and one of the best defensive lines in the country. Yes, you were facing a team that got to the title game last year and probably could lean on experience in a big spot more than you guys could.

All that being said, you certainly didn't get a favorable whistle. I told a couple of close friends who are U of L fans after the game that you guys probably win that if it's an afternoon game at Clemson, and definitely win it if it's neutral or at PJCS. It was a hell of a game. If you guys win out you still get in the playoff IMO.

To put that loss on James Quick's shoulders is ludicrous and makes me think that anyone that sides with that sentiment is either a Clemson fan or they didn't watch the game because there were 59 minutes and 26 seconds of game played before that instance in which we were abused by the home brewed referee's.

No Quick didnt lose the game, however. ..........

This is twice he could have won the game at Death Valley. Doesnt seem to be
giving that extra effort. Yes, its easy to armchair QB from my couch. Maybe he's
hurt, tired, or both at the end of the game.

I say it because i watch ALOT of football. I see players fighting for extra yds all
the time. Many a times, they end up scoring a TD.

With him being a Senior, he's played his last game at Clemson.

Score two TDs instead of kicking two FGs, Cards win by two.
If Hughley doesnt have the bad snap, which led to a fumble and Cards go up
14-0, they possibly win.

Its a 60:00 game. No one play or missed ref calls decide the outcome.

Back to Quick. He's a Senior. He's got to bring it on every play.

With the "LEAD" OFFICIAL being a Clemson fan and the sideline guys all being Clemson fans it really calls a lot into question.

With all that is on the internet about teams that play in Memorial Stadium getting the shaft, someone needs to look into this.

Was too many penalties that were simply ignored, and finding out the refs were clemson fans is disturbing.

We lost, I accept that, I do not accept the advantage Clemson had with the whistles.

THE REF HAS TO HAVE SEEN THAT HOLD, BUT THEY WERE CLEMSON FANS SO IT WAS A NO CALL.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE REF IS LOOKING AT HERE?

The JQ play may or may not be related to a bad or no mark. For whatever reason he did think he had a first down. But I have a favorite saying I use with high schoolers - 'Play like you need 11 yards and the other team only needs 9 for a first down. Because I have seen it (in HS).'

The guy on the sideline obviously had no idea a play would come his way. I doubt it was deviously intentional even if it was a bad or no mark.

But the holds were bad. Especially the one here. This was the third hold on the same player during the play - with the referee watching exactly what the end zone camera captured.

Slanted calls for the home team a well known phenomena. As JJ told the Hurricanes before going to South Bend years ago - 'do not leave it in the referee's hands.' That advice for big games applies today. The Cards had too many self inflicted wounds in the first half.

Congrats to Tigers.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Louisville fans (when it comes to Clemson)
image.png

Guys, you are preaching to the choir. No one knows what a true screw job feels like by the tobacco road club than Clemson. I've watched UNC get a bounce pass called a catch for a game saving first down, Maryland have the ball bounce off a receiver's hands in the end zone and called a TD, and Duke dribble the rock from end to end without the clock starting to win. Really blatant stuff. If the ACC has decided to "help" us it would be a first and more so a shock. Commissioner Swofford once held a secret meeting to sanction Clemson so his beloved Tar Heels could "gain ground" on our football program. Make no mistake they hate us. A game like this certainly eats at the team coming up short and everything is questioned. It's tough. I was at the game and saw so many holds by the UL O-line it was amazing. They could not block our d line. They couldn't do it. You are feel to look at it from one side, but trust me if you had experienced a true ACC screw job like went on in the 80s you would buy the refs from Saturday dinner!

Reactions: Oatmeal1919
I hate to tell you UL fans this...but the head referee's daughter is a Clem student. He writes checks to that glorified barnyard and therefore should've never been sent to do that game by the ACC.

The ACC is heavily, heavily invested in getting Clem or FSU back to the playoff. UL took care of FSU. They WERE NOT going to allow UL to keep the Golden Child, DeShawn Watson, from a potential rematch with Alabama or Ohio State. I hate it for your team because you deserved to win the game. The number of holding calls that were ignored by the crew are a disgrace. I only hope you all run the table and get a shot at those Rednecks on a neutral field with a PAC12 or BIG10 crew. It won't be close.
There is a SEC official that had a daughter on a athletic scholarship at UK. They live in TN. Every time he would do a UK game, he would favor UK in 3 to 4 calls. I can't believe there is not a protocol against this.

Reactions: beasleythecard
A reasonable explanation, but it still doesn't explain why the UofL OL has not been called for holding all year. The reason for that is pretty clear from my viewpoint - the OL has been coached to use the proper technique and instructed to let go when the DL tries to change direction, because with Jackson's combination of straightline speed and elusive cuts the DL has no chance to catch him in the open field.
There are always missed calls. I saw one of your Oline tackle our Defensive Tackle Pagano one play. I also saw several times where your wr clearly was holding our DB on several of your outside runs that went for big yardage. There are always missed calls on both sides. It was obvious that these refs were not going to call holding and were letting them play. None of those are excuses on why a game is lost. Ultimately you came very close but didn't make the final play. Hopefully your team will learn from it and be better prepared next time. For years we used to come up just short and now for the last few years, we find a way to make the play at the end

Reactions: PushupMan
There are always missed calls. I saw one of your Oline tackle our Defensive Tackle Pagano one play. I also saw several times where your wr clearly was holding our DB on several of your outside runs that went for big yardage. There are always missed calls on both sides. It was obvious that these refs were not going to call holding and were letting them play. None of those are excuses on why a game is lost. Ultimately you came very close but didn't make the final play. Hopefully your team will learn from it and be better prepared next time. For years we used to come up just short and now for the last few years, we find a way to make the play at the end

I agree with your assessment that the referees appeared to be letting a lot of possible holding and defensive contact with receivers in tight coverage go in this game. I don't believe it was blatantly biased one way or another - so I am in disagreement with some of my fellow posters in this thread.

It was a great game, and a great victory for Clemson. Good luck the rest of the way, and if you can be so kind as to drop a couple of conference games for us, it would be greatly appreciated!

Way too many unprove-able conspiracy theories and too much white being picked outta the chicken $hit in this thread. They're not going to reverse the outcome of this game whether anyone is right or not. And in a game with that outcome, you can point your finger at a couple dozen different causes or theories. Including Quick.

I'm glad that U of L still has the leading Heisman candidate. And I'm glad that U of L has won the hearts and opinions of the talking heads even in a loss. Because there's still politics and subjectivity involved in the end in choosing the teams that get to vie for the championship.

And I'm really glad to finally be in a conference with teams and fans like Clemson's. That's the most significant point to not lose focus of...

Man I'm totally confused now. I thought we lost because we fumbled, threw an interception, failed to protect LJ, didn't stop a 77 yard return, missed opportunities in the red zone, poor coverage in the secondary in the first half, and not laying it on the line (Last play). You guys that are whining remind me of Baylors women's BB team after we kicked their a$$. Or like everytime SuCk loses.

What bothers me is that outcome will not be reversed and to many are dwelling on that. We need to focus on the future. Man we just played in one of the most exciting FB games of many years. Our future is bright and will have plenty of opportunities to beat Clemson. And we will beat them.

Whoa, wait a minute. I think there does need to be some looking into this matter with the lines crew especially if there was a Facebook post or whatever that said "I think I just screwed the Cards" especially if there are people buying him rounds of drinks today. The two teams played their butts off to have something out of their control happen like this that might have affected the outcome. If nothing comes of it fine, if there is, he should be subject to Steve Bartman scrutiny. Ask the Cubs if they have forgiven old Steve.

Man I'm totally confused now. I thought we lost because we fumbled, threw an interception, failed to protect LJ, didn't stop a 77 yard return, missed opportunities in the red zone, poor coverage in the secondary in the first half, and not laying it on the line (Last play). You guys that are whining remind me of Baylors women's BB team after we kicked their a$$. Or like everytime SuCk loses.
All those are actually part of the game, a unofficial lines crewman screwing up and possibly enjoying it because of the outcome is not part of the game.

Reactions: cardinalrod
All those are actually part of the game, a unofficial lines crewman screwing up and possibly enjoying it because of the outcome is not part of the game.
See I'm also confused with that 1) he shouldn't have been running out of bounds...who does that on 4th down end of game when you have time outs 2) It's the players job to know where the first down is and refer to one. I could careless if the marker wasn't there he should have been running for the end zone!

Reactions: Banker85
Really when did line crew actually determine the outcome of the game. Read my above post

you have a big time football team now. some of you need to understand that in big games, it is always called loose on the boundary. Watch the Clemson Touchdown in the fourth quarter to mike williams, he is being grabbed and jersey pulled. but he went through it. Louisville DBs were grabbing and pulling too. (BTW, the kid with two picks is fantastic). Clemson receivers knew the call wasn't coming though because they have played in big games before. Watch the video of Louisville O line tackling our interior D linemen after they figured out they absolutely could not handle them. Play on. That's the way its going to be in a big game.

As for all of this conspiracy talk, come on. you guys are better than that. that is why I like your program because your fans (who I have fed now twice) are knowledgeable fans. Keep winning. I think that Jackson is so fun to watch that the committee will get you in if they have the chance.
We are and they'll get past this. We had plenty of opportunities to win.

Whoa, wait a minute. I think there does need to be some looking into this matter with the lines crew especially if there was a Facebook post or whatever that said "I think I just screwed the Cards" especially if there are people buying him rounds of drinks today. The two teams played their butts off to have something out of their control happen like this that might have affected the outcome. If nothing comes of it fine, if there is, he should be subject to Steve Bartman scrutiny. Ask the Cubs if they have forgiven old Steve.
Personally not getting into all the details of that. In large part because there's NOTHING that will reverse this game's outcome. Even if outright fraud was involved, the ACC will let all results stand.

If you want someone fired or suspended, that's a reasonable expectation. Anything more is not...

Personally not getting into all the details of that. In large part because there's NOTHING that will reverse this game's outcome. Even if outright fraud was involved, the ACC will let all results stand.

If you want someone fired or suspended, that's a reasonable expectation. Anything more is not...
No I realize it won't change the outcome, but I have somewhat of a military background, yes there are no excuses but if someone screws up intentionally or not, they should be held accountable by their actions.

On to Duke!

No I realize it won't change the outcome, but I have somewhat of a military background, yes there are no excuses but if someone screws up intentionally or not, they should be held accountable by their actions.

On to Duke!
Duke it is and I would hate to be Duke! Can't back out this time can they.

the outrage is simply that Louisville needs to never be in position to allow a screwjob to matter in a game. Bad calls happen, but we need to play in such a manner that we overcome them.

I am sure no one feels worse than James Quick. He was having a great game for us and was blocking on the outside to open us the run as well.

On to Duke, and not calling the dogs off in any game ever again.

You guys need to quit complaining about the refs. You have never heard a us blame a UK lose on the officials except when the refs really screw us like the did in Florida two years ago.

Reactions: atiba and zipp
the outrage is simply that Louisville needs to never be in position to allow a screwjob to matter in a game. Bad calls happen, but we need to play in such a manner that we overcome them.

I am sure no one feels worse than James Quick. He was having a great game for us and was blocking on the outside to open us the run as well.

On to Duke, and not calling the dogs off in any game ever again.

This was similar to UofL/Miami 2005, except the Cards blew a big lead, and lost.
In 2006 the Cards got sweet revenge.

Beating Clemson at home next season will be good revenge.
Beating Clemson at Death Valley will be GREAT!

JQ should have known the yard line he needed to make. Yes the yard marker guy wasn't it in the proper spot on the field (according to that video), but that's on Quick IMO. He shouldn't depend on the yard marker guy to have the marker placed in the proper spot.. Disturbing? Yeah a little that it appears the guy duped Quick into thinking he was further down the field than what he really was, but what's more disturbing as a Cardinals fan is Quick not turning back inside after the catch to attack the end zone.

That is they I was thinking also, he should have turned up field and attacked the end zone.

THE HOLD ON THE KICK RETURN CHANGED THE GAME, IT WAS TOO MANY TO COUNT FOR THE CLEMSON REFS TO IGNORE.

this is the "one" that set me off! I saw this live and was screaming. It completely opened up the lane for the big return and thus gave Clemson the easy score a couple plays later. Should have been 1st and 10 from inside their own 15 but ended up in the redzone the other way. It was soooo obvious with the white jerseys on and being pulled up to a foot away from their body cannot go unnoticed. There are 2 horrendous missed holds in the pic alone- each if they hadn't occurred, they play does not happen. I actually thought I saw a ref starting for his pocket on this one.

ADVERTISEMENT