ADVERTISEMENT

Time for Rick to clean up the illegal screens.....

Aug 13, 2009
For the longest time I felt like we were always getting screwed on the moving screen calls. I mean, you can watch ten games and not see one called but we get called for it all the time. It happens too often to be a referee thing at this point. Rick needs to get that cleared up as it's costing valuable possessions.

A point of emphasis for refs,I agree.Start by not using Onuaku for those.Jk,they have to use him,although I think he's getting better.Honestly,that would be a job for Mango.He's probably the best at it.

Reactions: CardChipper
Heard somewhere prior to the game last night that Coach Pitino was working on that in practice and particularly with Onuaku.

Sometimes it's not the person setting the screen who is at fault. Sometimes the guard doesn't allow the person setting the screen to get in place before making his move. I've seen Lewis do that on several occasions. He'll start to make his move or cut before the screen can be set properly.

Sometimes it's not the person setting the screen who is at fault. Sometimes the guard doesn't allow the person setting the screen to get in place before making his move. I've seen Lewis do that on several occasions. He'll start to make his move or cut before the screen can be set properly.
was about to post the same. There was a game earlier this year where Nanu got called for one and you can see Pitino clearly yell to Lewis "That was all your fault".

But Nanu sometimes starts to cheat back before the ball handler is completely through the screen. He's gotten better but he still does it. He's actually not been called for a few that he should have gotten but I am not complaining because he's gotten more bad calls than favorable non calls.

Reactions: Cue Card
Nanu is just way to valuable to be setting screens. Set your feet, if the ballhandler screws up, his fault. He did a great job staying out of trouble last night.

He is at fault some of the time, but the guards contribute as well by moving to fast or being impatient. In the past the guard could start toward the pick before the person setting the screen was set which was why the rule changed. Now the person setting the screen has to be set and there has been a learning curve for them as well. They are all getting better with their timing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT