ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Coach David Padgett???

Honestly? He’s in way over his head but, that’s to be expected. What’s not to be expected is that a program like Louisville would have a head coach with zero experience.

But that seems to be going around these days..,

I hope David has a great year. 99% chance we’ll be in the market for a new coach sometime in March.

When I think about the coaches he will be going up against, it is unsettling. He will do his best though and I think we will have a decent season.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
He'll have growing pains, I think this team itself is really talented. May come up with some big wins but I feel like we will also drop a few that we shouldn't. Hope the fans aren't to harsh on DP when those low times come, because he is the best option we have for the circumstances we are in.

I think next year we will see a new coach.

This is a talented team, but in my view we would have our struggles this year even if Rick was still the coach. We will win a lot of games I believe, but teams with big strong guys down low may dominate us. Ray and Anas will see a lot of foul trouble I think, and there's not much of an answer for that coming off the bench.

Obviously next year and beyond holds enormous challenges, for which David may not be prepared

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
I guess I'm the ultimate homer because I feel really good about coach Padgett having a successful coaching career. Yet to be determined if that happens at UofL long term.

I am pessimistic about the BOT allowing him to remain the head coach if he has immediate success. I do not feel as if THIS BOT has the best interest of the athletic department in mind when making decisions. In other words, the power play to destroy UofL has been fully engaged, and I don't see any glimmer of long term success for any athletic department program as long as the BOT is controlled by outsiders with agendas.

Just my very humble and sad opinion.

I think best case scenario is that we win about 75% of our games. Last night has me worried that we are not a good basketball team honestly. This is of no fault to Coach Padgett though. The real big test will be Sunday. Maybe Bellarmine is the equivalent to a solid mid major, but we looked sloppy. That will happen with a young team. We need to give the team a pass this year. Unfortunately, this is our last big opportunity to make some noise in the tournament until after our sanctions come down.

Yup. Better enjoy this year for what it is, because it will be remembered as part of the good years. In another year or so, winning 75% of the games will sound like an unrealistic dream. It is going to be bad. So let's enjoy this season, whatever it turns out to be. The idea of starting unrecruited freshman walk-ons at Cameron Indoor Stadium, the Dean Dome, and Rupp is pretty frightening.

Yup. Better enjoy this year for what it is, because it will be remembered as part of the good years. In another year or so, winning 75% of the games will sound like an unrealistic dream. It is going to be bad. So let's enjoy this season, whatever it turns out to be. The idea of starting unrecruited freshman walk-ons at Cameron Indoor Stadium, the Dean Dome, and Rupp is pretty frightening.
Can't speak for others, but I enjoyed the sight of Preston Knowles coming in and busting upperclassmen's chops. Derek Smith before him. An underrated Herb Crook keeping two McD AAs on the bench. Lord knows, Russ Smith never met an arena where he was intimidated. It's part of what kept me being a Card fan for all these years.

The growing pains will be tough. We will survive!

Reactions: Cue Card and SoulSr
DP has looked decent considering he has only coached 2 exhibitions games. I think this thread is about a month too early though.

I think this team is going to be really fun to watch because there is a lot of talent, quality upperclassmen leadership, shooters and they move/share the ball well. The defense is a work in progress though.

DP is learning on the job. He is still trying to determine his own style and philosophy as a coach.

No pressure on DP whatsoever given the circumstances. Wish him the best. Heck of an opportunity.

DP seems like a nice guy and a great representative for the university. I hope he does well and is able to take advantage of this huge opportunity.

My question is this. Just how much head coaching experience did Denny have when he became our head coach? None. Turned out pretty good.

It’s still early to determine whether it works out with CDP, but why not? He’s shown he has good composure and speaks very well. He seems to be well aware of his short falls. He clearly understands the game. Who knows we could have found the next Denny. Now I know Denny had more experience as an assistant and that is huge. Will see.

Reactions: Cue Card
My question is this. Just how much head coaching experience did Denny have when he became our head coach? None. Turned out pretty good..
My question is this. Don’t you think Louisville’s program has progressed beyond the point where they would hire someone with zero HC experience? Like 30 years ago...

I don’t disagree with your statement, but who knows when the NCAA gets around to handling are current situation. It could be several years. I know we progressed, but under the current situation it’s not the job Rick took, until this is resolved. I guess a more stable situation. You get my point I’m sure. But my point wasn’t so much have we moved past that (As we clearly have) as much as why can’t he be the next Denny. He could be here several years. Who knows at this point. Giving him several years to prove he’s got what it takes. Obviously he’s done nothing on the court to prove he can handle it so far. Although I would find it hilarious if he knocks it out of the park shutting up all the UofL haters. I know there’s a slim chance if that occurring.

Reactions: PHCARD and Cue Card
My question is this. Don’t you think Louisville’s program has progressed beyond the point where they would hire someone with zero HC experience? Like 30 years ago...
Not sure that even matters after what went down with the BOT. We've been knocked back by 30 years in progress if not more. Hopefully coach DP has the same type of impact that coach Crum had in 1971. The biggest difference I see however is coach Crum had full support from AD Hickman. I don't get that same vibe from AD Tyra regarding coach Padgett.

EDIT: After another gulp of coffee, I don't think it was Hickman who hired Denny. I can't remember who did at the moment but the point is still the same. Denny was hired with full support, while coach Padgett was hired as a stop gap.

Last edited:
Padgett was put in an impossible situation. I'm going to root for him like heck, regardless of results.
I don’t know Padgett but he has hit all of the right notes in his pressers and appearances so far. With that said - how could it be characterized that he has been put in an “impossible situation”?

He’s a basketball coach - one I assume has decided to make coaching his career to the extent that any of them are able to. He’s just been handed the keys to a top 5 of all time program, with a great roster that he knows, to do what he loves to, wants to, yet doesn’t yet deserve to do. Where’s the downside?

An impossible coaching situation is being an assistant coach trying to find a job and most likely uproot your family because you’re part of a staff let go because the HC got fired.

Far from impossible - Padgett hit the damn lottery.

I don’t know Padgett but he has hit all of the right notes in his pressers and appearances so far. With that said - how could it be characterized that he has been put in an “impossible situation”?

He’s a basketball coach - one I assume has decided to make coaching his career to the extent that any of them are able to. He’s just been handed the keys to a top 5 of all time program, with a great roster that he knows, to do what he loves to, wants to, yet doesn’t yet deserve to do. Where’s the downside?

An impossible coaching situation is being an assistant coach trying to find a job and most likely uproot your family because you’re part of a staff let go because the HC got fired.

An "impossible situation" is the one Archie finds himself in Bloomington. At least for this year anyway.

I wouldn't call it an impossible situation - but it's far from ideal for him.

There is a giant question mark in terms of what's in store for this program at season's end - it's impossible to recruit - and will probably be just as hard to keep the young players on the roster with the program once the NCAA's hammer drops.

There's a large cloud over the program, the guy has never been a HC before, and he's following in the footsteps of a HOF coach that left under really bad circumstances.

This is a real mess, and some wins over inferior opponents are nice to see, but really tough times are ahead.

The dark cloud overhead may not be "impossible" but it sure is an extremely difficult situation. This year may be okay, but how do you recruit in this scenario? We will be holding tryouts and throwing parades for 3* kids, if we can sign any.

And anyone who talks shit about David Padgett this season is an asshole and I'll say it to their face. He didn't ask for this, the players asked for him. I don't care if they lose the rest of the season and finish with 1 win. If you are a Cardinal fan (and I'd argue even if you aren't a Cardinal fan), you stand by and you defend David Padgett. It's just the right thing to do.

He is for sure more laid back on the sideline during the game than the previous coach. Every coach has a different style.
I think you’ll see that CDP has a lot of passion but remember he’s a coaches son and realizes these kids are already under some pressure to do well. I don’t think it’s beneficial to go ape shit in your first game against George Mason. He’s probably conscious of those saying he’s has zero experience and wants to be viewed as someone who’s been there but yet hasn’t except as a player.

Regardless of this season’s end result Tyra or whoever is the AD will be interviewing candidates for the job. Wish David well but 99% chance we’ll be hiring a new coach in March or April.

Last edited:
Regardless of this season’s end result Tyra of whoever is the AD will be interviewing candidates for the job. Wish David well but 99% chance we’ll be hiring a new coach in March or April.
I think that all depends on how well he does. IF he exceeds expectations, then I agree. This BOT will have none of it. This BOT has already proven they are out to destroy UofL athletics ESPECIALLY basketball. If CDP does great then he's all but out of the running to be the UofL coach full time. If he sucks, then he will get strong consideration, and might even land the gig permanently.

I think that all depends on how well he does. IF he exceeds expectations, then I agree. This BOT will have none of it. This BOT has already proven they are out to destroy UofL athletics ESPECIALLY basketball. If CDP does great then he's all but out of the running to be the UofL coach full time. If he sucks, then he will get strong consideration, and might even land the gig permanently.
Cue,

I think you have been misled by some on this board about the intentions of the BOT to destroy U of L athletics. Wouldn’t you find it hard to believe that a guy voted most outstanding athlete at his college, winner of broad jump, discus, shot put, 2nd in 220 yd dash, 3rd in 100 yard dash and varsity football letterman would not care about college athletics when it played a large part of their background and who they were? That person is none other than J David Grissom. He also has a JD from U of L Law School since that seems to be important.

Reactions: Cue Card
Cue,

I think you have been misled by some on this board about the intentions of the BOT to destroy U of L athletics. Wouldn’t you find it hard to believe that a guy voted most outstanding athlete at his college, winner of broad jump, discus, shot put, 2nd in 220 yd dash, 3rd in 100 yard dash and varsity football letterman would not care about college athletics when it played a large part of their background and who they were? That person is none other than J David Grissom. He also has a JD from U of L Law School since that seems to be important.
I thought if it was on the internet, then it had to be true?

Foiled again! :eek::D:rolleyes:

What do these guys do about recruiting this year? They are kind of in no man’s land.

I would recommend recruiting the very best 2-3 players in the city and out in the state who want to play for their hometown school (in positions of need).....and maybe 1 or 2 national players who could see early playing time, etc.....and hope for the best.....and sell playing in the ACC vs the very best competition.

Most importantly, keep all the current underclassmen in the fold. Can't afford losing any of them at this point in time. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Reactions: jmac1029
I would recommend recruiting the very best 2-3 players in the city and out in the state who want to play for their hometown school (in positions of need).....and maybe 1 or 2 national players who could see early playing time, etc.....and hope for the best.....and sell playing in the ACC vs the very best competition.

Most importantly, keep all the current underclassmen in the fold. Can't afford losing any of them at this point in time. Anyone have any other suggestions?

That's as good of an approach as I can think of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT