ADVERTISEMENT

Thon Maker

L1c4tillidie

One-Star Poster
Oct 10, 2015
i just saw where he isn't going to college. At one point I believe we were in with him and then at some point backed off. There isn't even an emphasis on education with many of these kids. I don't think they're bad kids. Some are but this system is corrupting them. I have a couple solutions. You all tell me what you think may work.
1. The NBA needs to increase the minimum age to 21. Where do these 19 and 20 year olds go when their teammates grab a drink on the road? Either they're excluded from the team ( not good for team unity) or they are let in (meaning the NBA is encouraging criminal activity).
2. Go back to not allowing freshmen to play. They could still practice but wouldn't go on trips to have more time to acclimate to the academic environment.
3. No more AAU. That would cut out a lot of the shoe money types.

i just saw where he isn't going to college. At one point I believe we were in with him and then at some point backed off. There isn't even an emphasis on education with many of these kids. I don't think they're bad kids. Some are but this system is corrupting them. I have a couple solutions. You all tell me what you think may work.
1. The NBA needs to increase the minimum age to 21. Where do these 19 and 20 year olds go when their teammates grab a drink on the road? Either they're excluded from the team ( not good for team unity) or they are let in (meaning the NBA is encouraging criminal activity).
2. Go back to not allowing freshmen to play. They could still practice but wouldn't go on trips to have more time to acclimate to the academic environment.

This isn't a NBA issue. This is a NCAA issue which they haven't done anything about. Why would the NBA be concerned about the lack of action on the NCAA's part? The NBA gets to use the NCAA as a tryout plaform for players who may or may not be talented enough to be included in the next NBA draft. It's a win-win for the NBA while the bureaucrats running the NCAA sit around with their thumbs up their ass. The concept of "student-athlete" died years ago and it's the NCAA's fault.

The NCAA could require freshmen to sit out again to concentrate on the academic transition from HS to college but that means revenue loss so that's not going to happen. The NCAA cares more about their bottom line than they care about academic integrity. The only real solution is to award 4 year scholarships and not 1 year at a time. If a player leaves prior to the end of the 4 years, the scholarship is still unavailable until the end of the original scholarship award date. That one rule would change how coaches recruit. If you want a sure fired 1 and done player to play for your team, then fine. It'll only cost you 1 scholarship for 4 years. That would put an end to most of this crap we see with certain teams loading up with 3, 4, or 5 one and done athletes per roster per year while restoring at least SOME integrity to the game.

This isn't a NBA issue. This is a NCAA issue which they haven't done anything about. Why would the NBA be concerned about the lack of action on the NCAA's part? The NBA gets to use the NCAA as a tryout plaform for players who may or may not be talented enough to be included in the next NBA draft. It's a win-win for the NBA while the bureaucrats running the NCAA sit around with their thumbs up their ass. The concept of "student-athlete" died years ago and it's the NCAA's fault.

The NCAA could require freshmen to sit out again to concentrate on the academic transition from HS to college but that means revenue loss so that's not going to happen. The NCAA cares more about their bottom line than they care about academic integrity. The only real solution is to award 4 year scholarships and not 1 year at a time. If a player leaves prior to the end of the 4 years, the scholarship is still unavailable until the end of the original scholarship award date. That one rule would change how coaches recruit. If you want a sure fired 1 and done player to play for your team, then fine. It'll only cost you 1 scholarship for 4 years. That would put an end to most of this crap we see with certain teams loading up with 3, 4, or 5 one and done athletes per roster per year while restoring at least SOME integrity to the game.
I agree on the NCAA part cue and think that would be a good solution but not sure it goes far enough to penalizing schools who are killing academic integrity. As far as the NBA I disagree. I like both leagues and the 19 and 20 year olds just aren't very good. If the guys spent more time in college they'd have even more hype going into the NBA. Seems like it'd be a win win for both. I think the players association is the thing stopping it on the pro side though. I'd rather not let the top 10 guys play college basketball at all over the current system.

I agree on the NCAA part cue and think that would be a good solution but not sure it goes far enough to penalizing schools who are killing academic integrity. As far as the NBA I disagree. I like both leagues and the 19 and 20 year olds just aren't very good. If the guys spent more time in college they'd have even more hype going into the NBA. Seems like it'd be a win win for both. I think the players association is the thing stopping it on the pro side though. I'd rather not let the top 10 guys play college basketball at all over the current system.
I like both too.

Another idea is to allow the kids to be drafted out of HS, let them get paid yet be allowed to go to college for at least two years to earn an associates degree. If the kid flunks out then he goes to the NBDL where he can either enhance his NBA worth or fails. Lots of NBA teams are drafting kids overseas and allowing them to stay overseas to play for their national teams until they're ready to play in the NBA. Some work out. Some don't. We should be able to do something like that here in the states too.

The NBA wants to raise the minimums to two years removed however the players union
balked at it. Thats suprising because vets get cut to make room for unproven rooks.

If the entire student body stayed 4 or 5 years for their degrees, then you could hold the athletes
to the same.

If someone is ready tof forgo their education and not get a degree, thats their choice. They
know the consequences if they fail.

I dont like the tying up a scholly either. Say a player quits sports all together. Now
you're short a scholly 3 more years.

Athletes are well educated and know the ramifications of NOT getting a degree.
They should offer degrees in sports, since thats why most athletes are attending
the universities.

The NBA wants to raise the minimums to two years removed however the players union
balked at it. Thats suprising because vets get cut to make room for unproven rooks.

If the entire student body stayed 4 or 5 years for their degrees, then you could hold the athletes
to the same.

If someone is ready tof forgo their education and not get a degree, thats their choice. They
know the consequences if they fail.

I dont like the tying up a scholly either. Say a player quits sports all together. Now
you're short a scholly 3 more years.

Athletes are well educated and know the ramifications of NOT getting a degree.
They should offer degrees in sports, since thats why most athletes are attending
the universities.
The scholarship idea would obviously have some exceptions. No policies are ever absolute in nature. For instance if a player suffers a career ending injury, then the scholarship is freed back up. Same could hold true for any kid who just decides he doesn't wish to play the game any longer. If a kid leaves prior to his four years for the professional ranks though, even the NBDL then the scholarship is tied up for the full 4 years. It's just a thought. All I really know is something should be done to bring back integrity to the ideology of the "student-athlete".

I'd like to see the "baseball" rule implement... you can get drafted out of HS. Then you can chose to either go pro immediately, or wait 3 years and develop.
I like that too. I would be totally fine with that.

I like the idea of a scholarship being a multi year agreement. Not sure if 4 years is the correct number as it might be a little bit on the high side. But I think tying up s scholarship for multiple years will change college basketball.

Also if Maker is allowed to enter the draft it could change things as well.

"At one point I believe we were in with him....." Yeah, but probably not for long.

"At one point I believe we were in with him....." Yeah, but probably not for long.
Louisville (along with several schools - including the yuts) was "in" with Maker for several months, that is until they realized his chances to play college basketball matched his interest in playing college basketball - zero - and moved on. Every school came to the same conclusion - it just took some longer (see - IU) longer than others.

Louisville (along with several schools - including the yuts) was "in" with Maker for several months, that is until they realized his chances to play college basketball matched his interest in playing college basketball - zero - and moved on. Every school came to the same conclusion - it just took some longer (see - IU) longer than others.

Too many people in Thon's pockets......

Reactions: BPGhost
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT