ADVERTISEMENT

This kind of play drives me nuts because it's clearly traveling

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
it happened again last night when we were down 68-62 and duke ran the clock down to under 5 seconds and their guy pivoted at the free throw line and then leaned to the basket and made a dagger shot as the clock expired. my argument is that he walked and it happens all the time and for some reason refs don't call it. their player pivoted in a circle on his right foot and then pivoted towards the goal where he jumped and made the short jumper.

however, in jumping, instead of both feet going in the air at the same time he clearly plants his left foot towards the hoop and does a leaning step to the hoop. his left foot, non pivot foot, is firmly on the ground as he lifts his right foot, his pivot foot, to go up for the shot. he gained a huge advantage because it put him three feet closer to the hoop and past his defender. our guy had him stopped and he only got free because of a blatant walk. he clearly lifted his pivot foot and shifted it to the other foot before he left the ground. i don't believe it cost us the game, i just hate the illegal move.

Last edited:
All true glassmanJ. IDK if the refs are getting worse or what but this year it seems to be really bad regardless who is winning the game. I can point to each and every game I've watched this year and see a blatant no call like the one you described. Incredible.

turd, do you comment just to make your self look like an idiot? your comment has nothing to do with my post in the first place so your reply just makes you an irritant, not someone who is adding to the conversation. additionally, your reply also makes you look like an idiot because obviously duke is the current national champion so who gives a fu$k if you think they stink because miami beat them? they won the national championship. and can easily win it again this year. they got great last year when sulumon left the team. who knows what can happen? but your comments just make you look foolish, unintelligent, and just a plain naive. but good luck to you with all that

turd, do you comment just to make your self look like an idiot? your comment has nothing to do with my post in the first place so your reply just makes you an irritant, not someone who is adding to the conversation. additionally, your reply also makes you look like an idiot because obviously duke is the current national champion so who gives a fu$k if you think they stink because miami beat them? they won the national championship. and can easily win it again this year. they got great last year when sulumon left the team. who knows what can happen? but your comments just make you look foolish, unintelligent, and just a plain naive. but good luck to you with all that

Just be glad he didn't bring up the '60s hippie drug culture and its effect on the country. Those of us from the old Off-Topic Board were subjected to his non-sequitur rants on that.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer but what you just described is not a walk in the OP. If someone establishes their right foot as a pivot foot, steps to their left foot, picks up the right foot (pivot foot) but never puts it back down before the ball is released, then that is legal. A real walk that was missed was when the Duke player fell down with the ball. Pitino was irate and had every right to be.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer but what you just described is not a walk in the OP. If someone establishes their right foot as a pivot foot, steps to their left foot, picks up the right foot (pivot foot) but never puts it back down before the ball is released, then that is legal. A real walk that was missed was when the Duke player fell down with the ball. Pitino was irate and had every right to be.

I don't know what you are talking about...but your pivot foot is the last part of your body that can be on the floor before releasing a shot. You can't have a right pivot foot and then shoot off your left

Section 72 of the NCAA rule book clearly states...

Art. 3. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot:

a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;64 Rule 4 / definitions
b. The pivot foot shall not be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble.

As long as they shoot when they lift the pivot it is a legal action.

Section 72 of the NCAA rule book clearly states...

Art. 3. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot:

a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;64 Rule 4 / definitions
b. The pivot foot shall not be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble.

As long as they shoot when they lift the pivot it is a legal action.

So basically you're saying I can have my right foot as my pivot foot....lift my left foot off the ground....then plant it back and raise my right foot off the ground and that wouldn't be traveling as long as I don't put it back on the floor? I don't think so

That's correct Money, it's not a walk unless the pivot foot comes back down to the floor. Otherwise a player wouldn't be allowed to jump after establishing a pivot foot.

Yes. Hints the reason when coaches teach right handed lay ups you pick your dribble up with your left foot down. Step with your right foot and jump with your left foot up and never touching the ground again before you shoot.

Well I guess I'm no expert at traveling calls then. I can understand jumping off of both feet at one time, but to be able to lift pivot foot and land on the other sounds crazy. Learned something new I guess

Reactions: KenSucky
so what you are saying kensuck is that i establish my pivot foot as my right foot. i can spin around 100 times as long as i keep it on the ground. then, according to you. i can switch my pivot foot to my left foot now, lifting my right foot in the air so it no longer touches the ground, and now i can do as many pirouettes as i like on my left, non pivot foot, my only foot touching the gorund, and as long as my right foot never touches the ground again it's not a walk, correct? i didn't dribble, and my right foot never touched the ground again, and you are saying this can never be a walk because my right foot, the original pivot, was taken off the floor but never touched the floor again. so what you are saying is i can change pivot feet as long as the original pivot never touches the ground again? so there is no pivot foot i guess if you are aloowed to make a new one. basically the rule you quoted doesn't consider the second foot at all. the point being is if you lift your pivot foot you cannot replace with the other foot. if you lift your pivot you have to shoot before either foot touches the ground. not just the pivot. the pint is whe you shoot both feet are supposed to leave the ground at the same time. my OP stated he shooter rolled from one foot to the other which is a walk. had he jumped up with both feet at same time not a walk. but he changed feet. simple rule. you cannot change pivot feet. he did. he traveled.

another way to see it is the shooter jumped and lifted his pivot foot but before he released the shot his other foot hit the ground and thus he traveled. he simply illegally changed pivot feet

to get technical about it, if both his feet had left the ground at the exact same time or his non pivot foot leaves before the pivot it's a legal shot. when his pivot foot is completely off the ground and the is another foot established as the pivot, it's a walk. that's the pure distinction. the play is meant for both feet to leave the ground simultaneously. his did not.

in bball, you always hear the phrase which foot do you shoot off of, and he did not shot off his original pivot as would have been correct. he shot off the non pivot foot meaning we wlaked before he placed a shot and thus when he lifted his pivot he was nto shooting off that foot so a shot did not occur when he lifted the pivot. it occurred on the non pivot because it was a one foot shot, not a two footed jump shot. and that there is the crux of the situation, when the shot occurred. it occured on his non pivot, not the pivot. thus a walk. i rest my case

another way to see it is the shooter jumped and lifted his pivot foot but before he released the shot his other foot hit the ground and thus he traveled. he simply illegally changed pivot feet

You are absolutely correct. Duke never gets called for walks at home. Both UL and VA fans should be upset.

If you establish a pivot and the step with the other foot and pick up your pivot, you are legal. However, unless you are a flamingo how can you spin "100 times" with one foot (your original pivot foot) still in the air? If you could, it'd be legal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT