ADVERTISEMENT

This is what the ACC should do now!

wilkie01

Four-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Planet Red
How about this Texas and Notre Dame same deal with ACC. Then Kansas and Oklahoma as full ACC members. That is 16 in football and 18 in all other sports. This would increase our revenue , our status and our power in both football and men's basketball.

Notre Dame
Texas

Northern Division
Kansas
Oklahoma
Louisville
Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt
Virginia Tech
Miami

Southern Division
Virginia
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest
Clemson
Georgia Tech
FSU
(This post was last modified: Today 11:37 AM by Wilkie01.)
Today 11:36 AM

Wow ....

That would be something.

I am not sure that 16 member conferences are truly viable, let alone 18.

But if you are gonna go big, this is the way to do it I guess ...

Reactions: wilkie01
How about this Texas and Notre Dame same deal with ACC. Then Kansas and Oklahoma as full ACC members. That is 16 in football and 18 in all other sports. This would increase our revenue , our status and our power in both football and men's basketball.

Notre Dame
Texas

Northern Division
Kansas
Oklahoma
Louisville
Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt
Virginia Tech
Miami

Southern Division
Virginia
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest
Clemson
Georgia Tech
FSU
(This post was last modified: Today 11:37 AM by Wilkie01.)
Today 11:36 AM
I'd put Virginia in the Northern Division and Miami in the Southern Division.

When the Big-12 FOLDS (Big-12 Admin SUFFERS from Big East STUPIDITY)...Kansas and Oklahoma will end up in the BIG...Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech will end up in the PAC...West Virginia will end up in the SEC with Houston...Texas will end up in the ACC with the same agreement Notre Dame has...For NOW...Eventually BOTH will be REQUIRED by ALL the conferences to become a full member, or be EXCLUDED from National Playoff Considerations!!!

Baylor and TCU, along with BYU will end up back in the Mountain West Conference with Boise State...Or they could all decide to create a NEW Coast to Coast Conference with teams like Central Florida, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Memphis, South Florida, Southern Miss., Temple and Tulsa, and bring Colorado State, Fresno State, Nevada and San Diego State along with them...That gives you East Coast Teams...Mid West Teams...Mountain West Teams and West Coast Teams...And the Recruiting Areas that go along with them...California, Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Texas...

Now...Set them up in PODS:

East
Central Florida
Cincinnati
East Carolina
Temple

Mid West
Memphis
South Florida
Southern Miss
TCU

Mounatin West
Baylor
BYU
Colorado State
Tulsa

West
Boise State
Fresno State
Nevada
San Diego State

Play a nine game conference schedule...Your Pod...A Permanant Cross Pod Rival, and rotate teams from each Pod every three years, and two OOC games...That's an Eleven Game Regular Season...The Four Pod Winners play to determine the Overall Conference Champion...EVERYONE plays Eleven games...Four Teams play Twelve Games...Two Teams play Thirteen Games...The Champ is invited to participate in the EIGHT Team National Championship Playoff as an At-Large Selection along with Three at-Large P-4 Conference Teams!!!

Use the existing Bowl System as the Playoff rounds...

Cotton Bowl
At-Large vs.At-Large

Orange Bowl
ACC vs. At-Large

Rose Bowl

Big vs. Pac (Hey, they LIKE the TRADITION...Then SUFFER and KEEP playing it that way!!!).

SEC
SEC vs. At-Large

Cotton and Rose Bowl Winners play a National Semi Final in the Fiesta Bowl.

Orange and Sugar Bowl Winners play a National Semi Final in the Peach Bowl.

Those winners play the National Championship Game at Jerry's World!!!

ALL P-4 Conferences would also be set up in PODS, and play the same format...Teams NOT selected, play in the numerous other Bowl Games!

The rest of the G-5 Teams (50 Teams), will either move to the FCS, or CREATE their OWN Seperate Division and have their own Playoff System!!!

:cool:

Sorry, don't see the snooty PAC taking the B12 leftovers - tech and the "state" schools. Nope.

I don't see the SEC taking Houston either. Maybe Texas or OK to SEC

Sorry, don't see the snooty PAC taking the B12 leftovers - tech and the "state" schools. Nope.

PAC expands before the Big-12 or they're TOAST...Somebody's GOING DOWN!!!

The BIG, PAC and SEC DON'T Want the Texas and LHN HEADACH...And A&M and Arkansas WILL VETO any talk of adding Texas!!!

Oklahoma and Kansas to the BIG reunites them with Nebraska and gives the BIG another Blue-Blood in Football, and in Basketball!!!

Last edited:
I don't see the SEC taking Houston either. Maybe Texas or OK to SEC

Houston is a Better add than ANYONE else from the Big-12 except Texas...Arkansas and A&M WILL NOT ALLOW Texas to be added to the SEC!!!

Clemson, FSU, Georgia Tech, Louisville and Miami are NOT getting invites!!!

Duke, UNC and Virginia as BIG DOG Founding Members are NOT leaving for the BIG or SEC!!!

Virginia Tech is STUCK because it took POLITICS to get them in the ACC!!!

Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forest offer ZERO!!!

That leaves Notre Dame and N.C. State...The Irish LIKE the ACC Academic Status...N.C. State is the ONLY Viable Candidate for the SEC to pursue...They COULD end up being the Texas A&M of the ACC...Want to get out from under UNC's Shadow!!!

When the Big-12 FOLDS (Big-12 Admin SUFFERS from Big East STUPIDITY)...Kansas and Oklahoma will end up in the BIG...Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech will end up in the PAC...West Virginia will end up in the SEC with Houston...Texas will end up in the ACC with the same agreement Notre Dame has...For NOW...Eventually BOTH will be REQUIRED by ALL the conferences to become a full member, or be EXCLUDED from National Playoff Considerations!!!

Baylor and TCU, along with BYU will end up back in the Mountain West Conference with Boise State...Or they could all decide to create a NEW Coast to Coast Conference with teams like Central Florida, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Memphis, South Florida, Southern Miss., Temple and Tulsa, and bring Colorado State, Fresno State, Nevada and San Diego State along with them...That gives you East Coast Teams...Mid West Teams...Mountain West Teams and West Coast Teams...And the Recruiting Areas that go along with them...California, Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Texas...

Now...Set them up in PODS:

East
Central Florida
Cincinnati
East Carolina
Temple

Mid West
Memphis
South Florida
Southern Miss
TCU

Mounatin West
Baylor
BYU
Colorado State
Tulsa

West
Boise State
Fresno State
Nevada
San Diego State

Play a nine game conference schedule...Your Pod...A Permanant Cross Pod Rival, and rotate teams from each Pod every three years, and two OOC games...That's an Eleven Game Regular Season...The Four Pod Winners play to determine the Overall Conference Champion...EVERYONE plays Eleven games...Four Teams play Twelve Games...Two Teams play Thirteen Games...The Champ is invited to participate in the EIGHT Team National Championship Playoff as an At-Large Selection along with Three at-Large P-4 Conference Teams!!!

Use the existing Bowl System as the Playoff rounds...

Cotton Bowl
At-Large vs.At-Large

Orange Bowl
ACC vs. At-Large

Rose Bowl

Big vs. Pac (Hey, they LIKE the TRADITION...Then SUFFER and KEEP playing it that way!!!).

SEC
SEC vs. At-Large

Cotton and Rose Bowl Winners play a National Semi Final in the Fiesta Bowl.

Orange and Sugar Bowl Winners play a National Semi Final in the Peach Bowl.

Those winners play the National Championship Game at Jerry's World!!!

ALL P-4 Conferences would also be set up in PODS, and play the same format...Teams NOT selected, play in the numerous other Bowl Games!

The rest of the G-5 Teams (50 Teams), will either move to the FCS, or CREATE their OWN Seperate Division and have their own Playoff System!!!

No reason for the B12 to fold now- they got their conference championship game without going to 12. That actually makes me nervous about conference downsizing, which, if it could be done legally, would probably leave us out in the cold. Also, forget the bowls. Playoffs should go to 8 and be run like the NFL with home and away earned by seeding. Only the college super bowl should be st s neutral site. Wouldn't you love to see Alabama at Michigan in December?

Reactions: 65bird
Houston is in the American Conference, not the B12. Why would somebody want them over Baylor or TCU? Baylor and TCU have been performing better than Houston, who, so far, has had one good season in football. Baylor has done well in football and basketball as well as WBB.

No reason for the B12 to fold now- they got their conference championship game without going to 12. That actually makes me nervous about conference downsizing, which, if it could be done legally, would probably leave us out in the cold...
I don't have much concern about the Power Whatever getting smaller. That's never happened to the major conference teams, and I think there would correspondingly be major fallout. Temple left the Big East once upon a time voluntarily. A lot bigger deal kicking someone out of the club vs. not inviting them in.

Not to mention, the U of L athletic department is now a major national player. How would you keep teams like Iowa State, Washington State, Wake Forest, or Northwestern IN the club and jettison schools like Louisville? Makes no sense.

And not happening IMO...

Temple got kicked out of the BE for being non-competitive. I don't think it would happen either, but if it did, tradition and name (especially the name if a state) goes a long way in CFB. WRT the OP, I do think conferences can become unwieldy when they are too big.

Regarding Houston their time in the top 25 is coming to an end soon I can see their coach (who wants the Texas job) getting it real soon. Once Tom Herman leaves Houston for Texas they will become irrelevant once again.

The thing about Houston is, they are a duplicate market for most leagues. The Big 12 and SEC already have teams in Texas. It's not about how good you are. It's about what markets you deliver. That's why Rutgers is in the Big Ten, Colorado is in the Pac 12, Missouri is in the SEC, etc.

I don't have much concern about the Power Whatever getting smaller. That's never happened to the major conference teams, and I think there would correspondingly be major fallout. Temple left the Big East once upon a time voluntarily. A lot bigger deal kicking someone out of the club vs. not inviting them in.

Not to mention, the U of L athletic department is now a major national player. How would you keep teams like Iowa State, Washington State, Wake Forest, or Northwestern IN the club and jettison schools like Louisville? Makes no sense.

And not happening IMO...
About the only reasons a P5 team would get thrown out or voluntarily leaves the P5 at this point are:
1. A P5 university chooses to opt out of major athletics/sports, due to its individual circumstance of economic/political/financial/cultural pressure. (NOT VERY LIKELY)
2. P5 becomes semi-pro, causing a schism/realignment into conferences with either amateur or semi-pro status, effectively dividing the NCAA into two groupings (amateur and 'special' status). (A BIT MORE LIKELY)
3. Carriage Contract Holders (ESPN/FOX etc) become much more desperate and avaricious as we continue to become a more-sports-oriented society, and demand that certain P5's back out and they pay the 'losers' a very large amount to do so. Conferences as we know them go away. ESPN/Fox/NBC become the oil that incents and allows a restructuring of 'college major semi-pro athletics'. (NOT LIKELY IN SHORT TERM)

I think Louisville COULD become a 'Wake Forest' type of situation, due to Trustees and the President moving the university into a non-athletics-focused direction.

But I do not think that is likely.

Under most measures, The University of Louisville, as we know it, is a Top 20-30 financial performer athletically, with a medium-sized market that has no pro options.

Louisville's MAJOR Athetics will survive as long as the Trustees and Leadership do not eviscerate them.

Well said, G-man.

Nothing is impossible. But financially motivated people don't generally go around lopping off the heads of golden gooses. Louisville has consistently proven to be one of those in college athletics...

Zipp, like your idea. I want the ACC to be proactive and aggressive. I want the Cards in the premier conference in all sports. If they ran with your idea I believe only delusional blue down the road would dispute that the ACC is the best. Again, at least with this post, you are a true visionary!

Reactions: zipp
Zipp...at least with this post, you are a true visionary!
An occasional visionary... I can live with that! :D

Appreciate the hyperbole, but I tend to be more of an analyzer, and I don't always do that well. Jurich, now THERE is a visionary...

Zipp, oops! I thought this was your original post! I need to give my props instead to Wilkie01. My bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT