ADVERTISEMENT

ACC FB Attendance for W/E 11/4/23

Guardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
Louisville
(data from Wake @ Duke not provided)

News Article reports that no attendance was announced. Weather was very cold and less than 6000 fans were there.

Less than 6,000 Wake Forest @ Duke
42,523 Boston College @ Syracuse
47,667 Campbell @ North Carolina
81,500 Notre Dame @ Clemson
42,606 Georgia Tech @ Virginia
49,945 Virginia Tech @ Louisville
57,557 Florida State @ Pittsburgh
56,919 Miami FL @ NC State

Last edited:
Louisville is pathetic. Idk what would make these people happy? My row has 7 seats in it all season ticket holders. 4 seats empty yesterday. Give your dam tickets to somebody!

More sadly is the row in front of us was completely empty. Good thing Brohm is from Louisville. No wonder coaches are always flirting around.

I occasionally look at Ticketmaster a few hours before gametime. A couple of things stand out. Number 1 is the top 15 rows in the upper deck are not shown for sale (no blue dots), just blank and number 2, there were only a few seats (mostly resale) here and there for sale with the exceptions of the upper third in the new end zone, maybe 50 in the stands in front of Tom Drexler and a few in the south end zone (maybe 100). I get to the stadium and look around at the end of the first quarter and see a lot more empty seats than were sold.
We don’t seem to get as a football fan base. If you’ve ever been to Tennessee, Michigan, Alabama and Norte Dame all of which I have, the fans are in their seats early and generally stay until the game is over unless it’s bad weather or a complete blowout.

GO CARDS

Something just ain't right. I don't believe that for a minute.

People were still filing in on our row and in front of us at the end of the 1st quarter and then were gone at half time. This will never be a football town in the purest sense. With no pro sports here it's depressing. 3:30 is the optimal time for me and the conditions were perfect. It's worth coming out just to enjoy the experience athe the end of the 3rd qtr.

Reactions: Cap'n Jim
(data from Wake @ Duke not provided)

NO DATA Wake Forest @ Duke
42,523 Boston College @ Syracuse
47,667 Campbell @ North Carolina
81,500 Notre Dame @ Clemson
42,606 Georgia Tech @ Virginia
49,945 Virginia Tech @ Louisville
56,919 Miami FL @ NC State
There is no way in heck that Pitt had 57k at that game

Reactions: rh62531
Louisville is pathetic. Idk what would make these people happy? My row has 7 seats in it all season ticket holders. 4 seats empty yesterday. Give your dam tickets to somebody!

More sadly is the row in front of us was completely empty. Good thing Brohm is from Louisville. No wonder coaches are always flirting around.
Two things: It’s not the fans, it’s stadium capacity. The fans are awesome.

I mentioned this last week, but UK reduced capacity in 2016 by 6,000. It’s worked out for them. UofL should consider the same. With technology these days, the convenience of watching from home, the cost savings, it’s easy to understand why some people watch the broadcast from their own friendly confines. No hate here.

First game I went to this season, I really thought with the weather and Virginia Tech it would be more full. But it was loud. Between the hard rock music and the screaming when VT had the ball, my Apple Watch kept bitching at me for being exposed to > 95 decibels. If the weather is decent (aka not pouring down rain), next Thursday it should be full. Folks I know the made up rivalry with Virginia does not move the needle, but a chance to clinch our first ever conference championship place - That should should be a rowdy and full crowd.

i've said this before, but if money were not the issue, they should switch to the removable type seats they have a dallas at&t stadium. the seats sit on metal cleat rails so narrower seats can be switched in for massive sellouts. i think seating can go from 80k to 100k. but they should switch to wider seating with less seats and reduce down to 52k or so and it's be a much better experience and create sellouts so all games on tv too.

CardX said it very well, but this needs to be repeated …….. UL football fans who buy tickets and show up before kickoff deserve credit for supporting this team. For those who feel the need to express their frustration about lack of attendance are entitled to their criticism, but it requires some qualification.

I (74) was at the game Saturday as a guest of an old friend who just turned 80, along with another friend who is 79 and suffers from neuropathy. It was the only game that I have been to since one game last year. I was a season ticket holder from 1970 until just a few years ago when I realized that it’s just too easy to stay home and watch it on TV at my age.

Does is mean that I am less of a UL football fan? NO, as I invested the $10K for “lifetime seats” decades ago that contributed to building the stadium ……. and so did a lot of other UL football fans who were even older than myself.

If you are in your 60s or younger, and you still attend the games ……. good for you!

As for the Clemson, FSU and Pitt attendance …… each of those schools have a tradition that includes winning a National Championship, and a much longer history of Major D-1 College Football than UL.

CardX said it very well, but this needs to be repeated …….. UL football fans who buy tickets and show up before kickoff deserve credit for supporting this team. For those who feel the need to express their frustration about lack of attendance are entitled to their criticism, but it requires some qualification.

I (74) was at the game Saturday as a guest of an old friend who just turned 80, along with another friend who is 79 and suffers from neuropathy. It was the only game that I have been to since one game last year. I was a season ticket holder from 1970 until just a few years ago when I realized that it’s just too easy to stay home and watch it on TV at my age.

Does is mean that I am less of a UL football fan? NO, as I invested the $10K for “lifetime seats” decades ago that contributed to building the stadium ……. and so did a lot of other UL football fans who were even older than myself.

If you are in your 60s or younger, and you still attend the games ……. good for you!

As for the Clemson, FSU and Pitt attendance …… each of those schools have a tradition that includes winning a National Championship, and a much longer history of Major D-1 College Football than UL.
Well Said.

Reactions: rh62531
fyi, Michigan has never won a title in the modern era. you don;t need a title to have a fan base, you just need to be in an area of the country where there is absolutely nothing else to do whatsoever than go to college football games. Pitt seems to be the exception since the steelers are there too and pittsburgh is fairly big.

here are the 5 year average attendance from 2018-2022 for every football team.

Pitt is 44th with 37,300 avg and 54,710 in 2022
U of L is 39th w/ 39,500 & 41,700 for 2022
UK is 27th w/ 47,400 & 60,300
FSU is 21st w/ 52,900 & 67,200
Clemson is 14th w/ 68,000 & 87,000
Michigan is #1 w/ 88,300 & 110,200

fyi, Michigan has never won a title in the modern era. you don;t need a title to have a fan base, you just need to be in an area of the country where there is absolutely nothing else to do whatsoever than go to college football games. Pitt seems to be the exception since the steelers are there too and pittsburgh is fairly big.

here are the 5 year average attendance from 2018-2022 for every football team.

Pitt is 44th with 37,300 avg and 54,710 in 2022
U of L is 39th w/ 39,500 & 41,700 for 2022
UK is 27th w/ 47,400 & 60,300
FSU is 21st w/ 52,900 & 67,200
Clemson is 14th w/ 68,000 & 87,000
Michigan is #1 w/ 88,300 & 110,200

Yes, and it helps to be a large enrollment public school with a large number of living alumni.

Glassman ........... we ain't Michigan, and there are a handful of other college situations that no one should be using a s barometer of UL football attendance. I used Clemson, FSU and Pitt in my post, as I was responding to my good friend CardsDan's post on attendance.

Personally, I have no aspiration or realistic expectation to ever attain the level of attendance in Ann Arbor, Columbus, Tuscaloosa and some of the other venues that are not in our conference and are not on our schedule.

Glassman ........... we ain't Michigan, and there are a handful of other college situations that no one should be using a s barometer of UL football attendance. I used Clemson, FSU and Pitt in my post, as I was responding to my good friend CardsDan's post on attendance.

Personally, I have no aspiration or realistic expectation to ever attain the level of attendance in Ann Arbor, Columbus, Tuscaloosa and some of the other venues that are not in our conference and are not on our schedule.
i wasn't using it as a barometer, just stated michigan because they were #1 yet never won a title in modern era.

State Universities draw from the entire state. Louisville draw is a much smaller foot print. It is what it is. The expansion was done knowing it would only sell out 1-2 games a year.

State Universities draw from the entire state. Louisville draw is a much smaller foot print. It is what it is. The expansion was done knowing it would only sell out 1-2 games a year.
We are a State University. But your point holds.

I'm not gonna argue against facts esp. when they're brought to the table by someone like @Guardman.

All I will do is point out how seldom we used to need to come up with facts to justify our size, performance, or circumstances. We went out and accomplished things that reflecting back would cause us to shake our heads and feel proud.

Unless I'm considering our own recent history--like last year's football attendance--that almost never happens now. In 2023, we talk about how we're too (something) to expect more...

I'm not gonna argue against facts esp. when they're brought to the table by someone like @Guardman.

All I will do is point out how seldom we used to need to come up with facts to justify our size, performance, or circumstances. We went out and accomplished things that reflecting back would cause us to shake our heads and feel proud.

Unless I'm considering our own recent history--like last year's football attendance--that almost never happens now. In 2023, we talk about how we're too (something) to expect more...
Chill and be positive.

I'm feeling great, and later today I'll be even happier driving to Cincy for the basketball game. Getting miles away from the excuse for another basketball game I'm expecting to take place...

With all due respect Zipp to your comment about: "how seldom we used to need to come up with facts to justify our size, performance, or circumstances"

I have been on this Rivals site prior to Jack Coffee acquiring the Sports Report, and I do not remember a time when fans were not expressing their frustration with poor attendance, arriving late and leaving early at UL football games.

With all due respect Zipp to your comment about: "how seldom we used to need to come up with facts to justify our size, performance, or circumstances"

I have been on this Rivals site prior to Jack Coffee acquiring the Sports Report, and I do not remember a time when fans were not expressing their frustration with poor attendance, arriving late and leaving early at UL football games.
Many remember the infamous exudos at FH basketball games around the 7:30 minute mark regardless of how the game was going.

Reactions: Mayoman

Me too!

And I go back all the way to being a subscriber to the Cardinals weekly Sports Report by _ Steiner and his peers way back in the 80's and 90's.

And jumped in when it went to the internet as a Louisville site to visit and discuss the games...and not worry about other BS attendance distractions and politics of the University and the AD's office.
It was more fun back then but I was younger too.

Last edited:

We sold out our football season ticket allocation in the past. Then, the issue was getting fans in their seats. That’s different from unsold seats.

Every fanbase at every time has its segment that you can never please. Like you, I go back decades. I never remember the basis for that being as grounded as it is now. In 2023, you have hard data supporting that POV…

Zip, everything is not always about numbers. While the attendance itself is admittedly about numbers, the expressions of frustration about attendance, leaving early and arriving late is about individual opinions and behaviors …… you seem to confuse the two separate issues.

As for me, I could care less about who shows up, when they arrive and when the choose to leave as long as the football team is playing well and winning.

Attendance for me is actually just a prelim on our finances which I’m keenly interested in. I’ll engage in these debates only because the issue ultimately affects how much money we make or do not…

Here is something to think about Zipp, what happens when UL fans decide to take the money they were spending on donations and tickets, and instead invest it NIL money for players. That way they could stay home and watch the best of the best winning games on their TV?

I'm afraid that scenario someday plays out, maybe there's already a dynamic. It's not that appealing to me and probably not to you. When NIL came into existence, I've always thought that it will draw revenue away from the schools.

Regardless, it's the athletic department's job to balance a budget. They're behind the curve if they're showing deficits because of NIL. People like Josh Heird need to get AHEAD of the curve...

Reactions: 2330859
Very well said Guardman. UL's fight to reach this level of college football is truly remarkable.

The CJ and the old Louisville Times Sports Department, as well as the Editorial Departments were run by UK Alumni and Blue fans. I remember Bob Weber sharing with me how he knew that Spring Signing Period was approaching, as the local newspaper started publishing that anonymous UL sources were reporting "that UL had plans to drop football down to Division II or III". It was at least an annual phenomenon, and repeated at every opportunity, as a way to discourage in-state talent from considering UL.

Reactions: SoulSr
Very well said Guardman. UL's fight to reach this level of college football is truly remarkable.

The CJ and the old Louisville Times Sports Department, as well as the Editorial Departments were run by UK Alumni and Blue fans. I remember Bob Weber sharing with me how he knew that Spring Signing Period was approaching, as the local newspaper started publishing that anonymous UL sources were reporting "that UL had plans to drop football down to Division II or III". It was at least an annual phenomenon, and repeated at every opportunity, as a way to discourage in-state talent from considering UL.
I was not here for a 25 year period. But I knew well what was happening. I flew in for games whenever I could. I came back to Louisville in 1996. Without Olsen and Schnellenberger this wouldn't have happened. Weber didn't have much help. Thanks for your support during that critical time. Go CARDS.

Reactions: Mayoman and SoulSr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT