ADVERTISEMENT

The X factor in the Petrino/Brohm conversation.

Are you telling me that there aren't any names on U of L buildings and facilities? You want me to start listing examples otherwise?

There were at least a handful of good candidates within the athletics department. Some still remain...
Such as?

I'll add some thoughts here, take it as you want. Louisville will make a push for Jeff, we all know this. What the average Louisville fan doesn't see is the environment the Brohm family has created just a few hours north within the entire school and community (including Tyler Trents family). Here are some items to keep in mind-the Big Ten is a better conference top to bottom with the Big West (Purdue's) division having the easier path to the conference championship each year. (Iowa/Northwester/Wisky) With the way recruiting is going, Purdue could possibly own this division the next 3-4 years and everyone knows this.
Secondly, he's in the midwest at a Power 5 school winning, and recruiting well in just year 2. I also have a few connections at Purdue that are very close to the situation and can tell you the Brohms absolutely love Purdue, including his kids. Anything saying this is a done deal, is just local Louisville media talking out their rear. The other item that hasn't been brought up very much is Bobby and Jeff are very close, with Bobby essentially being his mentor. Coming him to replace him after being fired won't jive with the Brohm family-and the core values as he cherishes family-and friends. Tyra will have to tap dance here.
Purdue will be match or beat any offer financially proposed to Jeff, and they have the funds to do it (thank you BIG TV revenue). How high can Louisville go if this becomes a bidding war (not only with Purdue), not sure it will come to that but you guys can't afford 6M or more a year long term with given your financial situation. That would be a stretch realistically. Just my 2 cents, December should be interesting.

I'll add some thoughts here, take it as you want. Louisville will make a push for Jeff, we all know this. What the average Louisville fan doesn't see is the environment the Brohm family has created just a few hours north within the entire school and community (including Tyler Trents family). Here are some items to keep in mind-the Big Ten is a better conference top to bottom with the Big West (Purdue's) division having the easier path to the conference championship each year. (Iowa/Northwester/Wisky) With the way recruiting is going, Purdue could possibly own this division the next 3-4 years and everyone knows this.
Secondly, he's in the midwest at a Power 5 school winning, and recruiting well in just year 2. I also have a few connections at Purdue that are very close to the situation and can tell you the Brohms absolutely love Purdue, including his kids. Anything saying this is a done deal, is just local Louisville media talking out their rear. The other item that hasn't been brought up very much is Bobby and Jeff are very close, with Bobby essentially being his mentor. Coming him to replace him after being fired won't jive with the Brohm family-and the core values as he cherishes family-and friends. Tyra will have to tap dance here.
Purdue will be match or beat any offer financially proposed to Jeff, and they have the funds to do it (thank you BIG TV revenue). How high can Louisville go if this becomes a bidding war (not only with Purdue), not sure it will come to that but you guys can't afford 6M or more a year long term with given your financial situation. That would be a stretch realistically. Just my 2 cents, December should be interesting.

You were doing so well until you overstated the connection between Brohm and Petrino. Yes, Jeff Brohm was on Bobby Petrino's coaching staff while he was at Louisville and Western Kentucky, but Jeff Brohm's coaching mentor was Howard Schnellenberger, whom he played for at Louisville in the early 1990's.

Now, if UofL were to fire Petrino after he went 5-7 this season, with close, competitive losses in most of his games, then you may have had a point about Jeff being upset that Petrino got a raw deal in Louisville ... but that's definitely not the case here. Petrino has gone 2-7 so far this year, having lost by an average score of 49 to 20 in his seven losses.

Petrino is not going to lose his job because he's 2-7. He's going to lose his job because he's getting beaten by 61 by Clemson, by 21 at home to a bad Wake Forest team, and by 35 at home against a very mediocre Georgia Tech team.

Reactions: wilkie01
That's fair; simply passing an outsiders view. I don't believe it will be a slam dunk but there is risk (from a Purdue standpoint) He's an excellent coach, and just a good guy overall. Stating the reason of a win loss record for 1 year as the reason for Louisville's all time winningest coach is a big deal; you guys went 8-5 last year correct?

As much as I would hate to lose any of them in their current positions, there are at least 3-4 head coaches at U of L who would run circles around Tyra as an AD candidate.

Again, I'd hate to lose a Dan McDonnell as baseball coach, but talk about a quality guy with credibility to maintain your culture. He wouldn't bring Tyra's "business background" to the job, but so what? I have that myself, so I know how little it's worth in a job like AD. And Roger Williams could have taken over the skipper job.

Tyra was simply willing to carry out the plan for the guys he worked for. Oh, and he's a big fan...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rollem Cards
"Brohm said Petrino was very supportive of him being a head coach while he was a coordinator and told him the 'best thing' was to do it at WKU..."

LINK

Not a "mentor" but definitely in Jeff's corner.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
I don't have the back story on Jeff's and Bobby's relationship, and not pretending that I do. When Bobby left Western, it was on his own to leave obviously to come back to UofL, circumstances would would be a bit different this time around as the back fill.
Also, Brohm just landed the # 2 player out of Kentucky in Milton Wright. WR from Christian Academy, if there was doubt he was leaving this kid isn't committing. He also had offers from O$U, Bama, etc...
This element seems to be holding true that he's telling recruits he's going to be there so take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: ejs1111
...Also, Brohm just landed the # 2 player out of Kentucky in Milton Wright. WR from Christian Academy, if there was doubt he was leaving this kid isn't committing...
At least that's what Brohm has told him. I think Jeff is an honest guy...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT