ADVERTISEMENT

The X factor in the Petrino/Brohm conversation.

Kratz

2500+
Nov 18, 2001
The numbers have been laid out by everyone in what it would take to get rid of Petrino and bring Brohm in.

The one thing that isn't being considered are boosters that have backed off after Jurich and the basketball coach were fired.

Would some of those boosters start giving again or give one time in order to get Brohm? I think it's very possible and an X factor that no one has mentioned.

Reactions: CardCasey
Since most of us don’t know who these donors are or how much they would give, it’s an impossible question to answer. Only Vince can address that.

I’m thinking the only way some of these guys give is for Brohm. However, I don’t think we can get enough for him. What I think ends up happening is that we eat the cost of bobby’s buyout and bide time until the ACC network money and Adidas money rolls in. We go with a young gun from group of 5 and hopefully he’s good enough to bring fans and donors back.

I’m thinking the only way some of these guys give is for Brohm. However, I don’t think we can get enough for him. What I think ends up happening is that we eat the cost of bobby’s buyout and bide time until the ACC network money and Adidas money rolls in. We go with a young gun from group of 5 and hopefully he’s good enough to bring fans and donors back.

If we have to go the cheap route, then I would opt for Brian Jean-Mary. He knows the recruiting circuit in Florida and can stockpile talent. Either he works out long term, or he will leave the next coach a stockpile of talent.

I honestly don't know so what about to ask may sound naive....

Are boosters giving millions of dollars because of who the AD is or are they giving because they want their favorite program to be successful?

I understand that Jurich had years and years to establish a personal relationship with boosters that maybe Vince doesn't have yet but Vince is a very well known person in Louisville who dealt in the financial market for decades...wouldn't it be likely that he knows a lot of wealthy people in Louisville?

I don't know. I understand that there's a complete turnover at Louisville and there is still the need there to become familiar and establish relationships with those powerful boosters that maybe the current administration doesn't know but to me it seems logical that time will fix that.

Reactions: jmac1029
Big donor behavior is not usually anonymous. How many times under the prior regime were there press conferences and naming rights events? The reason for that is it's good news and it increase morale, maybe more giving from other donors. A big philanthropist might not ask for a plaque, but U of L still wants to publicize the person and the amount of money.

If that's still true, why would U of L be silent about what's happening now? I can understand if a multi-millionaire didn't want his name associated with dumping a head coach. But we've had serious financial needs in the last year. Why wouldn't a well-heeled benefactor want his name mentioned alongside of Chris Mack or the ESPN Studio? Those don't have negative connotations.

I also don't understand why that donor would be waiting to see blood in the streets. Again, I don't think that's classic donor behavior. That was never needed for two decades under Jurich--he raised money in the best of times; arguably, that's the best time to raise it.

There are no definitive answers to these questions. All you can do is use some common sense and what we have as experience...

The only "whale" I know is still not happy the way, and how fast, they fired TJ and RP and put us in this financial hole.

And yes, he was tight with TJ.

If that whale can’t understand why Pitino was fired, then it’s probably best he or she not donate to the university anymore.
There's that reading comprehension thing again. Or is it just "hate read"?

*****not happy the way, and how fast***** nothing about "understanding WHY"

BOTH of those cost us MILLIONS (and are still getting us National headlines since WE were the only ones stupid enough to do it) that we don't have today. He thinks TJ should still be here, but RP had three strikes, and should be gone.

There's that reading comprehension thing again. Or is it just "hate read"?

*****not happy the way, and how fast***** nothing about "understanding WHY"

BOTH of those cost us MILLIONS (and are still getting us National headlines since WE were the only ones stupid enough to do it) that we don't have today. He thinks TJ should still be here, but RP had three strikes, and should be gone.

My apologies....if that whale cannot understand the speed with which Pitino was fired, then it’s probably best he or she not donate to the university anymore.

My apologies....if that whale cannot understand the speed with which Pitino was fired, then it’s probably best he or she not donate to the university anymore.
Which brings us to where we are today.

IF many of these people feel this way....get used to Bobby being around a while.

Which brings us to where we are today.

IF many of these people feel this way....get used to Bobby being around a while.

Yes, it is a shame that there were important coaches and administrators acting like rogue characters and that it led to scandal and disrepute. It’s no surprise that donors would be disgusted. I do feel like most reasonable supporters will return once they are confident that the ship has been steadied. If they don’t they probably had other priorities.

Yes, it is a shame that there were important coaches and administrators acting like rogue characters and that it led to scandal and disrepute. It’s no surprise that donors would be disgusted. I do feel like most reasonable supporters will return once they are confident that the ship has been steadied. If they don’t they probably had other priorities.
I give.

We need money to “steady the ship”.

But the money will return when the ship is steady?

How does it steady?

Catch-22 much?

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I can't remember the name, but there was one donor that withdrew a $6 million dollar donation after the firing of TJ. He publicly said it was because of firing TJ.

I can't remember the name, but there was one donor that withdrew a $6 million dollar donation after the firing of TJ. He publicly said it was because of firing TJ.
Isn’t the equal to Brohm’s buyout?

Yes, it is a shame that there were important coaches and administrators acting like rogue characters and that it led to scandal and disrepute. It’s no surprise that donors would be disgusted...
That's a convenient excuse for a major deficiency in Tyra's abilities as AD. I'll keep pointing that out as it continues to be exposed...

Its fine. If people want to withdraw money because Tom Jurich got fired....then so be it. It sucks, but it is what it is. Tom oversaw great things during his time at Louisville but you wouldn't find an A.D. in the country that oversaw the level of scandal and dysfunction that occured during his tenure. If those with deep pockets don't understand why there was absolutely no way he could survive this debacle then I don't know what to say.

Are you donating money because you want to see the school and athletic department you love succeed or are you donating because Tom Jurich is A.D.? Are there strings attached to that money that Jurich provided that the new administration isn't? I'm just saying, if you're a Louisville fan and you're withholding your donation because of Tom Jurich then I question if you were ever a Louisville fan to begin with.

Reactions: Art79 and GoldCard
Its fine. If people want to withdraw money because Tom Jurich got fired....then so be it. It sucks, but it is what it is. Tom oversaw great things during his time at Louisville but you wouldn't find an A.D. in the country that oversaw the level of scandal and dysfunction that occured during his tenure. If those with deep pockets don't understand why there was absolutely no way he could survive this debacle then I don't know what to say.

Are you donating money because you want to see the school and athletic department you love succeed or are you donating because Tom Jurich is A.D.? Are there strings attached to that money that Jurich provided that the new administration isn't? I'm just saying, if you're a Louisville fan and you're withholding your donation because of Tom Jurich then I question if you were ever a Louisville fan to begin with.
It's not about Jurich. I don't why some people can't get beyond the old regime. This new regime is the one being judged. And they're not being viewed positively. It's why they can't raise money.

If the old guard was widely viewed as the problem, the new guys would have an easy go of it. In fact, just the opposite is true.

And if you want to point the finger, point it at the faction of the fanbase that refuses to see things the way you do now. Unfortunately, they look like the people with most of the money...

Reactions: swurv99
It's not about Jurich. I don't why some people can't get beyond the old regime. This new regime is the one being judged. And they're not being viewed positively. It's why they can't raise money.

If the old guard was widely viewed as the problem, the new guys would have an easy go of it. In fact, just the opposite is true.

And if you want to point the finger, point it at the faction of the fanbase that refuses to see things the way you do now. Unfortunately, they look like the people with most of the money...

No, I get that. My point is that if you're a donor who viewed the previous administration positively with all the scandal and corruption that was discovered and you were fine giving money to them but for whatever reason you're not comfortable giving money to this administration then I question why you were giving money in the first place because it obviously wasn't because of your love for the university.

Reactions: Chapman123
No, I get that. My point is that if you're a donor who viewed the previous administration positively with all the scandal and corruption that was discovered and you were fine giving money to them but for whatever reason you're not comfortable giving money to this administration then I question why you were giving money in the first place because it obviously wasn't because of your love for the university.
Some people just cant grasp the simple concept that most people are and should be fans of the University. I want anyone who is in charge to succeed because that is good for the university. Anyone who burns it to the ground with corruption and lies can rot in hell, simple as that because that is not good for the university.

If what you say us correct, then they are being viewed negatively in comparison with the old regime. That is why there are comments like those of EKYCard643 above.

Reactions: EKYCard643
...My point is that if you're a donor who viewed the previous administration positively with all the scandal and corruption that was discovered and you were fine giving money to them but for whatever reason you're not comfortable giving money to this administration then I question why you were giving money in the first place because it obviously wasn't because of your love for the university.
...they are being viewed negatively in comparison with the old regime...
I think this second post above answers the first. You may question that reasoning in the fans, but that's what they're telling us.

And it has little or nothing to do with "love for the university". I could argue the message they're sending is a form of tough love...

I think this second post above answers the first. You may question that reasoning in the fans, but that's what they're telling us.

And it has little or nothing to do with "love for the university". I could argue the message they're sending is a form of tough love...
Zipp, given that Dr Ramsey and TJ are gone and not coming back, who would you have run the university , or at least the athletic department? Heck, if we can speculate about coaches, why not ADs?

Reactions: wilkie01
Ramsey and Jurich promised some donors things and then reneged on those promises! Why do you not think, that this was not the reason for thier firing? Broken promises and the national humiliation caused by Addis and Pinto, got them fired. Big donors will give againn, if the new President and AD take care of business.

Last edited:
Reactions: Williedynamite
Ramsey and Jurich promised sum donors things and then reneged on those promises! Why do you not think, that this was not the reason for thier firing? Broken promises and the national humiliation caused by Addis and Pinto, got them fired. Big donors will give againn, if the new President and AD take care of business.
What promises? Please elaborate if you know something.

Big donor behavior is not usually anonymous. How many times under the prior regime were there press conferences and naming rights events? .
Corporations usually want to make a splash but individuals not named T. Boone Pickens usually do not, because they don’t want to be hounded by others for donations.

Reactions: wilkie01
The numbers have been laid out by everyone in what it would take to get rid of Petrino and bring Brohm in.

The one thing that isn't being considered are boosters that have backed off after Jurich and the basketball coach were fired.

Would some of those boosters start giving again or give one time in order to get Brohm? I think it's very possible and an X factor that no one has mentioned.
The Brohm family is so tied with Louisville that I assume almost all boosters would want to get Jeff, now before he gets entrenched anywhere else.

Reactions: Chapman123
Per Mark Ennis:

"According to a source within the athletic department, in the Fall 2018 semester alone, 20 Louisville football players have requested the required paperwork to initiate a transfer. Number was described as “abnormally high. The most for one sport since the women’s lacrosse fiasco.”

Nope.

Not even close.

85 players have put in papers requesting a transfer.

Thanks for your concern........

Nope.

Not even close.

85 players have put in papers requesting a transfer.

Thanks for your concern........

I don't think for a second that 20 kids suddenly want to transfer, but 20 kids trying to say to their administration "FIRE THIS COACH!!!!"? That I could see.

Corporations usually want to make a splash but individuals not named T. Boone Pickens usually do not, because they don’t want to be hounded by others for donations.
Are you telling me that there aren't any names on U of L buildings and facilities? You want me to start listing examples otherwise?
Zipp, given that Dr Ramsey and TJ are gone and not coming back, who would you have run the university , or at least the athletic department? Heck, if we can speculate about coaches, why not ADs?
There were at least a handful of good candidates within the athletics department. Some still remain...

If those were disaffected people in basketball, why wouldn't they have stepped forward to pay for Mack's buyout from X? A new AD and basketball coach.

Why would it take a football crisis for that to happen?...

Per Mark Ennis:

"According to a source within the athletic department, in the Fall 2018 semester alone, 20 Louisville football players have requested the required paperwork to initiate a transfer. Number was described as “abnormally high. The most for one sport since the women’s lacrosse fiasco.”

3h3 hours ago

This doesn’t mean that all 20 players have submitted the paperwork or will. Just that 20 football players have requested the required paperwork that initiate the transfer process this semester. Compared to a much smaller number in your typical semester.

Mark Ennis‏@MarkEnnis 1h1 hour ago

Update: An athletic department representative contacted me and disputes that Louisville has had this many football players request transfer paperwork. I stand by my earlier report, but in the interest of full disclosure Louisville denies it.

..."[Mark] stands by his earlier report, but in the interest of full disclosure Louisville denies it.
Of course he does along with his other Petrino hot takes.

Interesting that the anti-Petrino faction feels compelled to fabricate info in support of such an obvious decision...

Not happening it will be Brohm anything else is to big of a gamble

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT