ADVERTISEMENT

The Truth of it

Dec 16, 2015
Besides you don't give a sh!t what a rival fan thinks....

This young guy you have for an interim coach is doing a remarkable job.
Not the team you were thinking it would be, and not the style anyone was used to.
Kids are playing hard, winning where they weren't expected, and seeming to be having an absolute blast. The coach is one that doesn't seem to make a mistake twice, and refreshingly I've yet to read him throwing anyone under a bus.
I've no idea what the future holds for the UofL basketball coach search. I'd bet my paycheck against yours that if he doesn't get a two year or longer gig with the Cards someone will snatch him.
I really liked the guy as a player. Looks like he's same as a coach.

Besides you don't give a sh!t what a rival fan thinks....

This young guy you have for an interim coach is doing a remarkable job.
Not the team you were thinking it would be, and not the style anyone was used to.
Kids are playing hard, winning where they weren't expected, and seeming to be having an absolute blast. The coach is one that doesn't seem to make a mistake twice, and refreshingly I've yet to read him throwing anyone under a bus.
I've no idea what the future holds for the UofL basketball coach search. I'd bet my paycheck against yours that if he doesn't get a two year or longer gig with the Cards someone will snatch him.
I really liked the guy as a player. Looks like he's same as a coach.
Padgett has won my confidence. I disagree with the common sentiment that we are too good for him as a program. Padgett has a record that would be darn close to RP and I think he is primed to become a hall of fame coach himself. Very impressed with he and his staff’s development of the freshmen.

He's won my confidence too. I like his demeanor. I like his attitude. I like his calmness. I like that he learns quickly. What I like the most about him is he doesn't overreact when a young player makes a mistake. If he is able to recruit then we have found our permanent head coach IMO. His next test is recruiting.

Padgett has youth on his side. IMO players respond better to a young coach who knows what he's doing. DP fills that niche.

Also IMO, too many people worry about his ability to recruit. If the ACC and the U of L brand are as good as we think they are, kids will come here as long as we have a competent coach. We may not attract OAD kids, but that's not who we are. I have little doubt that Padgett couldn't regularly sign high-3 star and 4-star kids...

Keep David Padgett. And pay him well. Heck we are paying an interim-AD with zero experience top money. Padgett has preformed under fire and accomplished milestones that show he is far more than a 'fill in'.

Padgett has youth on his side. IMO players respond better to a young coach who knows what he's doing. DP fills that niche.

Also IMO, too many people worry about his ability to recruit. If the ACC and the U of L brand are as good as we think they are, kids will come here as long as we have a competent coach. We may not attract OAD kids, but that's not who we are. I have little doubt that Padgett couldn't regularly sign high-3 star and 4-star kids...
The results of his recruiting ability will be skewed for a year or so until this whole pay for play thing is settled. If he sticks around past that I would be interested to see how he does. As much as it kills me to agree with you, I do think kids now days want to play for a younger guy and he fits that mold well. If he can bring in talent the next couple of years then he’ll definitely be able to get some quality young men after all the dust settles around your program. I fear for him though that players not wanting to come until that point will hurt peoples confidence in him

Reactions: American Male
I wouldn't bet there is any NCAA investigation on the FBI deal. The FBI classified the University as victim of fraud.
The coach is gone, the head coach is gone, the AD is gone. The school ruled the kid ineligible and he is gone.
There is no record to vacate cause the kid never played.
The NCAA has shown to be hesitant to rule when there are actual legal issues. See : Baylor, Penn State reversal, rape convictions of Vanderbilt football players...and on and on.
Seems like in this particular instance the University has done all that can be done.

I wouldn't bet there is any NCAA investigation on the FBI deal. The FBI classified the University as victim of fraud.
The coach is gone, the head coach is gone, the AD is gone. The school ruled the kid ineligible and he is gone.
There is no record to vacate cause the kid never played.
The NCAA has shown to be hesitant to rule when there are actual legal issues. See : Baylor, Penn State reversal, rape convictions of Vanderbilt football players...and on and on.
Seems like in this particular instance the University has done all that can be done.
Oh I completely agree the university has done everything that it could do. I don’t know one way or another what the NCAA will do though. They’re about as consistent as the weather here. If proven that RP was involved though, I don’t see them letting it slide, especially being on probation. But you never know. I’d say it’d still make recruiting hard for DP regardless, because oh the “wait around and see factor”. I don’t see to many top kids wanting to come and “chance it” with their careers if there’s a chance more punishment would come from it. Which is why I think his recruiting results will be a little skewed from his actual ability (or lack thereof possibly). But as I said, if he can get kids this next year they’ll have a good future ahead of them in recruiting terms. I still think he needs to get another assistant or “basketball operations” guy to help out. But so far he’s surrounded himself with some pretty good people given the circumstances

Not only that but CDP is relevant. In this world of social media, you can google his name and see that he was a very promising basketball player who’s career was short lived by injury. Not sure if this is true but one announcer remarked that David was rated the No. 2 prospect coming out of HS. No. 1 was Lebron James.

Reactions: zipp

If he can recruit at that level he's probably a keeper. He's learning and doing a really good job. I don't think I've ever heard a negative word about him.

It’s all about recruiting - plain and simple. And, we don’t know if DP can get that done or not. We’re going 24-12 IMO when all is said and done and that record is worthy of rewarding DP the Job? I think not.

We need, and this program is worthy of a PROVEN STUD COACH, not DP.

It’s all about recruiting - plain and simple. And, we don’t know if DP can get that done or not. We’re going 24-12 IMO when all is said and done and that record is worthy of rewarding DP the Job? I think not.

Whether it's good or bad, I think you're going to see if DP can recruit before you get the opportunity for that top coach.

I have a suggestion. Whoever’s coach you think we ought to get, why don’t you become a fan of that team?

16 yr olds don’t get keys to a Corvette, at least not at my house.

Watch the game last night? DP did a “good” job. But with about 4:00 min left and down double digits we needed to foul and get UVA in the bonus. They had the big white dude (#33) that had absolutely bricked his only two free-throws in the game. Yet, DP and his whole staff didn’t think to put the guy on the line until they took him out? It’s the little things, he’s doing good but he’s not ready.

Again, say Petrino abruptly leaves, we give the job to Mike Summer? Hell no, you run to Purdue and beg Brohm, a proven STUD coach. And, we’re going to treat our bread and butter sport with less respect and care than football? Please!

This team is going 24-12 when all is said and done, write it down. And he gets a top 5 Job for that? Hope the next AD is smarter than that!

Last edited:

Watch the game last night? DP did a “good” job. But with about 4:00 min left and down double digits we needed to foul and get UVA in the bonus. They had the big white dude (#33) that had absolutely bricked his only two free-throws in the game. Yet, DP and his whole staff didn’t think to put the guy on the line until they took him out? It’s the little things, he’s doing good but he’s not ready.

Again, say Petrino abruptly leaves, we give the job to Mike Summer? Hell no, you run to Purdue and beg Brohm, a proven STUD coach. And, we’re going to treat our bread and butter sport with less respect and care than football? Please!

This team is going 24-12 when all is said and done, write it down. And he gets a top 5 Job for that? Hope the next AD is smarter than that!
Well I guess you must let 16 year olds get the computer. That’s all you got. Start fouling? Whew breaking news? How did we trim a double digit lead back down to 5? We are 1 for 7 against UVA since 2015 and last night although I wanted a better outcome showed we do have heart and left me with a feeling that we can beat these guys at home. Last year we had our tails between our legs and praying that we didn’t have to play Virginia in the ACC or NCAA tournament.

I guess conveniently ignore my football question. We hand the keys over to an inexperienced 32 yr old with our b-ball program? But, we wouldn’t do that with our football program would we? Yeah, that makes perfect sense!

And yes, fouling was an option that should have been exercised. Not fouling sure as hell didn’t work!

Last edited:
I guess conveniently ignore my football question. We hand the keys over to an inexperienced 32 yr old with our b-ball program? But, we wouldn’t do that with our football program would we? Yeah, that makes perfect sense!

And yes, fouling was an option that should have been exercised. Not fouling sure as hell didn’t work!
Quite frankly I did ignore your football question because it was dumb. Mike Summers is like 60 years old and is an offensive line coach. He’s not a head coach. Of course I wouldn’t hire him. And yes I would offer Brohm, who’s closer in age to Padgett, but I’m not begging anyone to come here. As you say, if we are top 5 program, then we should have top coaches begging us? Correct?

Yes. And they will be lined up 20 deep begging us regardless of our problems.

Ok, Summers is too old for you. Say Cort Dennison hadn’t left for the University of Washington, let’s give him the job and ignore Brohm! It’s the exact same scenario as keeping Padgett! Now that’s dumb!

Last edited:

Riddle me this Batman. How come Pitino could never get above 60 points against UVA, beat ND on their court, beat FSU at their house? Was it just luck that DP won? No it wasn’t. Those guys are responding to his coaching. I’m not saying it’s a slam dunk but he just could be the real deal. His dad was a coach so that puts him light years a head of most guys. I wouldn’t cut him short. Comparing FB to BB is comparing apples to oranges.

Will see how the rest of the season goes but I bet DP can recruit and I bet he won’t have to cheat.

Not only that but CDP is relevant. In this world of social media, you can google his name and see that he was a very promising basketball player who’s career was short lived by injury. Not sure if this is true but one announcer remarked that David was rated the No. 2 prospect coming out of HS. No. 1 was Lebron James.
Man when David played here he was by FAR the smartest player on the court! Had a very very high basketball IQ. He was a Point Center. I loved watching that guy play and wear the red uniform.

Riddle me this Batman. How come Pitino could never get above 60 points against UVA, beat ND on their court, beat FSU at their house? Was it just luck that DP won? No it wasn’t. Those guys are responding to his coaching. I’m not saying it’s a slam dunk but he just could be the real deal. His dad was a coach so that puts him light years a head of most guys. I wouldn’t cut him short. Comparing FB to BB is comparing apples to oranges.

Will see how the rest of the season goes but I bet DP can recruit and I bet he won’t have to cheat.
Padgett has a team that wanted him to be the interim man. This team is LOADED even without Brian Bowen. DP has done a good job but nothing spectacular. We currently sit @ 16-6, as I have stated IMO we are headed to a 24-12 finish. If I’m correct (only time will tell) that is not acceptable even if DP was being considered. We will not have this level of talent again for at least 2-4 more years. So what’s DP do with considerably less talent, 12-24?

I want an experienced, proven coach. DP has done nothing to deserve this job, it’s too early for him. He’s being well compensated and this season will help him land a mid-major job. I want Jeff Gordon driving my race car, not Ben Rhodes!

Padgett has a team that wanted him to be the interim man. This team is LOADED even without Brian Bowen. DP has done a good job but nothing spectacular. We currently sit @ 16-6, as I have stated IMO we are headed to a 24-12 finish. If I’m correct (only time will tell) that is not acceptable even if DP was being considered. We will not have this level of talent again for at least 2-4 more years. So what’s DP do with considerably less talent, 12-24?

I want an experienced, proven coach. DP has done nothing to deserve this job, it’s too early for him. He’s being well compensated and this season will help him land a mid-major job. I want Jeff Gordon driving my race car, not Ben Rhodes!
By far, one of the dumbest posts I have ever read by a poster claiming to be a U of L fan.

Where did all of our talent suddenly come from? I'm looking at two mock drafts, and I can't find a single U of L guy on either...

Back to that outsider looking in spot...this isn't the team Pitino recruited because some of the recruits decommitted when things went South. PLUS losing three assistants in the deal.
What you have are some good kids playing some nice hard team ball. In the SEC, this team could be at the top or close to it.
Trouble is you have at least three teams with final four talent in your league. Leads to a lotta bruises.
Like I said, outsider view. I don't think you should sell Padgent short.

Back to that outsider looking in spot...this isn't the team Pitino recruited because some of the recruits decommitted when things went South. PLUS losing three assistants in the deal.
What you have are some good kids playing some nice hard team ball. In the SEC, this team could be at the top or close to it.
Trouble is you have at least three teams with final four talent in your league. Leads to a lotta bruises.
Like I said, outsider view. I don't think you should sell Padgent short.
It’s not even that. Imagine you’re on a team with relatively high expectations. Your best player from a year ago has gone on to the NBA and you have four talented, yet unknown freshmen coming in. Typically going to play for a coach that history shows doesn’t ask or play much of freshman.

Next you hear your getting a highly touted kid that’s going to take you a step further than expected. Then the bottom drops out. Not only is this top recruit not allowed to play, the coach you came to play for is dismissed. Who’s coaching? Assistants gone as well. What’s my role with this coach? Is practice the same? Obviously not. I just don’t think you can underestimate the fact that CDP has gotten these guys to play together as a unit, although at times it seems some players want to do things on their own.

sUcK fans pushing for Padgett to get the job only hurts his chances.
Lololololololololol......

Ah, the power we wield....
It's all up to UofLs administration, whoever that may be.
I just think it's another head scratcher that feelers are SUPPOSEDLY being put out by guys that still have the word 'interim' in their job titles.
That wouldn't give a ton of feel good to a potential hire.

I'll give you a hint, shortcreek. I saw the floor spread and the players with wider spacing stretching UVA's defense. Something I never saw in ages from our former HOF coach who loved that darn high ball screen which attracted our guys and defenders like flypaper. CDP, Trent or Powlus did their homework. And did it well.

Anybody that supports/wants Padgett as our next coach is delirious. I only rank it second in stupidity to the guys (Eaves, etc) that want Kenny Payne.

Again, I say we go 24-12. If we do, that’s worthy of getting the job? Wow, give me a break.

What NCCARDFAN said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT