ADVERTISEMENT

The thing about NIL, like it or not, it is the true embodiment of capitalism and the American dream

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
regardless of whether you think it's good or not, the simple truth it is the definition of America, that any person can go out there and freely negotiate their wage and what they are worth. it always drives me nuts when people say pro athletes make too much or are over paid. it's the exact opposite, it's the owners who write their checks that are over paid and make too much. in principle, every athlete is allowed to negotiate the salary they are paid, true capitalism. if someone is willing to pay them their asking price it works, if no one is willing to pay their asking price, they'll have to lower it. supply and demand economics. in the pro's, in most cases, they've implemented a salary cap or luxury tax so the others don;t screw other owners by over paying and readjusting the price market. it's actually why pro athletes are underpaid because the leagues and owners put restrictions upon themselves to prevent unlimited spending and true marker negotiation, unlike european soccer.

but in most sports cba's the owners (usually 32 of them) split the multibillion dollar tv revenue with the players in almost an even 50/50, i think some leagues may be 48/52. but the point is 32 owners get the same amount paid to them as do the 400-1500 players in the leagues and people will complain the players get too much when the owners do nothing but make the same amount only split 10x-50x less ways.

right now with NIL, every college player has the right to negotiate with any of the 330+ plus bball schools or 120 football schools to earn money, or however many women's teams and sports there are. it's pure capitalism at it's best. imagine if in your job right now you got go negotiate in all 50 states, with hundreds of potential employers and there was no salary structure of what you will make. the market and your skills will define your paycheck.

my wife works in norton's hospital and she's screwed as her pay scale is always structured on a base then years worked. she can't negotiate. she doesn't get bonuses. she can't get raises based on her performance and the worst worker in her area makes the same as the best. but it's a non-profit and that's how they control costs. or my buddy was a manager at whole foods but his pay scale strictly enforced w/ no OT possible.

they dream they could negotiate with their bosses but they cannot. and the benefits prevent them from leaving as the same pay scales exist w/in other local companies. so i admire these kids for getting the truest american experience, self determining your pay. so while you think they make too much money, don't ever blame them for what they get. if anything, blame the people with the wealth to pay them. always remember, the boss pays, hires, trains, teaches, regulates, supervises and fires yet the workers usually get blamed for the companies failures and they take the wage cuts while the bosses take bonuses. but the best companies and teams spread with wealth to benefit more alleviating animosities that cold be created. it's a mad, mad, mad, mad world (old spencer tracy movie for you youngin', go watch it).

Reactions: SoulSr
Salary caps and revenue sharing are necessary to make leagues financially viable and competitive. Players also have incentivized multi-year deals. I think these features will eventually make their way into college sports.

The current model is not sustainable and will destroy college sports.

It's going to have to be fine tuned and dialed back. This is not Name Image and Likeness. This is flat out pay for play. I don't like it at all..

Reactions: SoulSr
Salary caps and revenue sharing are necessary to make leagues financially viable and competitive. Players also have incentivized multi-year deals. I think these features will eventually make their way into college sports.
actually not true. tv contracts make every league financially viable. every team make a huge profit if they stay under the salary cap or luxury tax. in fact, even if oyu go over the cap, you still make a huge profit. and the more the don't spend the more they make. the reds profit tons every year and don;t spend jackshit.

in fact, it's the salary cap minimums that make the league viable adn competitive. many clubs would not spend a dime and would take 100% profits if they could. the reds spend the bare minimum they are foced to buy woudl spend less. so it's the salary cap minimums that makes the leagues competitive, not the maximums,

they are there only to prevent the owners from overspending. owners impose the salary cap, not the players. it prevents one owner from overpaying and thus raising salaries of all players. it basically prevents a moron billionaire from dropping hundreds of millions of a player that sucks.

it creates no competitive advantage whatsoever as the tampa bay rays are always in contention with the least payroll. and the yanks with teh highest payroll along with the dodgers have gotten them nowhere outside covid years. salary cap and luxury tax 100% there to keep salaries down so owners can make more profits. it's organized profit taking. nothing to do with league competitiveness. in fact, television viewership tends to go up during dynasty years and goes down during parody.

regardless of whether you think it's good or not, the simple truth it is the definition of America, that any person can go out there and freely negotiate their wage and what they are worth. it always drives me nuts when people say pro athletes make too much or are over paid. it's the exact opposite, it's the owners who write their checks that are over paid and make too much. in principle, every athlete is allowed to negotiate the salary they are paid, true capitalism. if someone is willing to pay them their asking price it works, if no one is willing to pay their asking price, they'll have to lower it. supply and demand economics. in the pro's, in most cases, they've implemented a salary cap or luxury tax so the others don;t screw other owners by over paying and readjusting the price market. it's actually why pro athletes are underpaid because the leagues and owners put restrictions upon themselves to prevent unlimited spending and true marker negotiation, unlike european soccer.

but in most sports cba's the owners (usually 32 of them) split the multibillion dollar tv revenue with the players in almost an even 50/50, i think some leagues may be 48/52. but the point is 32 owners get the same amount paid to them as do the 400-1500 players in the leagues and people will complain the players get too much when the owners do nothing but make the same amount only split 10x-50x less ways.

right now with NIL, every college player has the right to negotiate with any of the 330+ plus bball schools or 120 football schools to earn money, or however many women's teams and sports there are. it's pure capitalism at it's best. imagine if in your job right now you got go negotiate in all 50 states, with hundreds of potential employers and there was no salary structure of what you will make. the market and your skills will define your paycheck.

my wife works in norton's hospital and she's screwed as her pay scale is always structured on a base then years worked. she can't negotiate. she doesn't get bonuses. she can't get raises based on her performance and the worst worker in her area makes the same as the best. but it's a non-profit and that's how they control costs. or my buddy was a manager at whole foods but his pay scale strictly enforced w/ no OT possible.

they dream they could negotiate with their bosses but they cannot. and the benefits prevent them from leaving as the same pay scales exist w/in other local companies. so i admire these kids for getting the truest american experience, self determining your pay. so while you think they make too much money, don't ever blame them for what they get. if anything, blame the people with the wealth to pay them. always remember, the boss pays, hires, trains, teaches, regulates, supervises and fires yet the workers usually get blamed for the companies failures and they take the wage cuts while the bosses take bonuses. but the best companies and teams spread with wealth to benefit more alleviating animosities that cold be created. it's a mad, mad, mad, mad world (old spencer tracy movie for you youngin', go watch it).

When I heard about NIL, I envisioned it being college dudes going to the mall and signing autographs for $25 or something like that - not what we're seeing which is the top players get a paycut when they go to the big league. It's insane.

actually not true. tv contracts make every league financially viable. every team make a huge profit if they stay under the salary cap or luxury tax. in fact, even if oyu go over the cap, you still make a huge profit. and the more the don't spend the more they make. the reds profit tons every year and don;t spend jackshit.

in fact, it's the salary cap minimums that make the league viable adn competitive. many clubs would not spend a dime and would take 100% profits if they could. the reds spend the bare minimum they are foced to buy woudl spend less. so it's the salary cap minimums that makes the leagues competitive, not the maximums,

they are there only to prevent the owners from overspending. owners impose the salary cap, not the players. it prevents one owner from overpaying and thus raising salaries of all players. it basically prevents a moron billionaire from dropping hundreds of millions of a player that sucks.

it creates no competitive advantage whatsoever as the tampa bay rays are always in contention with the least payroll. and the yanks with teh highest payroll along with the dodgers have gotten them nowhere outside covid years. salary cap and luxury tax 100% there to keep salaries down so owners can make more profits. it's organized profit taking. nothing to do with league competitiveness. in fact, television viewership tends to go up during dynasty years and goes down during parody.
The minimums (actually minima I believe) just mean the poorest players get more than the free market would pay. It’s not that they wouldn’t play- they still get way more than they could earn at a regular job. So without the minima the players would still be there but playing for less it doesn’t make their clubs more competitive. I’m more familiar with football, where the cap and minima change each year depending on what was negotiated with the player’s union. I’m not sure about baseball except that they have an extremely strong union.
I really see nothing wrong with profits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT