ADVERTISEMENT

The State of Louisville Basketball

You are exactly right! It is not "mostly"up to the Athletic Director to hire and fire coaches or hold them accountable for their actions or many scandals......

Delusion is a strong force in this world
Either you don't understand what I'm saying or the way the world works...

Jurich was highly paid, but he made a third or half of the money Pitino made. AND Pitino was one of the highest paid State employees, maybe 2nd only to Pitino Lite. Jurich RECOMMENDED actions with regard to Pitino incl. hiring and firing. But he didn't unilaterally make the decision. Wouldn't surprise me if that went all the way to the Governor's desk in Frankfort.

Jurich was just the scapegoat about how Pitino was handled...

You are exactly right! It is not "mostly"up to the Athletic Director to hire and fire coaches or hold them accountable for their actions or many scandals......:confused:

Delusion is a strong force in this world
Spoken and liked by two individuals who almost assuredly have never been in a supervisory position in their lives...

Reactions: zipp and Senore2006
Trashing Rick is today's popular choice among negative criticism so essential to message board (seemingly intelligent) participation. Trashing Blackshear is another of those tremendously popular pastimes of UofL fans who use Wayne as an icon of Pitino failure - in spite of his amazing academic record and his position as a starter on the Final Four team and a starter on a National Title team. In searching as hard as I possibly can, I have been thus far unable to find the failure of Wayne Blackshear. You were disappointed in Wayne? Aw, man, I bet that really hurts. You are one tough room, all on your legendary own..

As I recall, as well, when Pitino showed up, our academics and basketball records were in the toilet. The wave of improvement under him began right away and has resulted in 19 consecutive semesters of 3.0 or better team GPA's. We have a near perfect APR - something the football team - unimaginable before Jurich - was actually able to produce twice!! We are thus considered along with Stanford as the best academics in college football over the past 5 years. UofL is 4th in the ACC in academic awards as of last season.

Under Ramsey, we were so pathetic that we now produce more Fulbright Scholars than all of the rest of Kentucky Universities put together. The list of improvements under each of these men our brainchildren call "bad" have accomplished more than any predecessors not named Denny. And Rick disappears Denny's ass on academics.

Watch who and what you criticize. There is Nuance here, and if you don't know what that means, please look it up. Honoring the past is solemn and vital or - like so many - you trash a gorgeous and insanely rich past and then you forget who you are now. Criticism without love is just jerking off.

Trashing Rick is today's popular choice among negative criticism so essential to message board (seemingly intelligent) participation. Trashing Blackshear is another of those tremendously popular pastimes of UofL fans who use Wayne as an icon of Pitino failure - in spite of his amazing academic record and his position as a starter on the Final Four team and a starter on a National Title team. In searching as hard as I possibly can, I have been thus far unable to find the failure of Wayne Blackshear. You were disappointed in Wayne? Aw, man, I bet that really hurts. You are one tough room, all on your legendary own..

As I recall, as well, when Pitino showed up, our academics and basketball records were in the toilet. The wave of improvement under him began right away and has resulted in 19 consecutive semesters of 3.0 or better team GPA's. We have a near perfect APR - something the football team - unimaginable before Jurich - was actually able to produce twice!! We are thus considered along with Stanford as the best academics in college football over the past 5 years. UofL is 4th in the ACC in academic awards as of last season.

Under Ramsey, we were so pathetic that we now produce more Fulbright Scholars than all of the rest of Kentucky Universities put together. The list of improvements under each of these men our brainchildren call "bad" have accomplished more than any predecessors not named Denny. And Rick disappears Denny's ass on academics.

Watch who and what you criticize. There is Nuance here, and if you don't know what that means, please look it up. Honoring the past is solemn and vital or - like so many - you trash a gorgeous and insanely rich past and then you forget who you are now. Criticism without love is just jerking off.
Well said, especially the criticism without love part. With your permission, I would like to use that quote in the future.

People who trash Wayne Blackshear might have forgotten that he had shoulder surgery at the beginning of his freshman year before he every played a game as a cardinal. If the response is that he is a symbol; that response is wrong. He is not a symbol, he is a person and a former cardinal.

Well said, especially the criticism without love part. With your permission, I would like to use that quote in the future.

People who trash Wayne Blackshear might have forgotten that he had shoulder surgery at the beginning of his freshman year before he every played a game as a cardinal. If the response is that he is a symbol; that response is wrong. He is not a symbol, he is a person and a former cardinal.

That quote is not something I madeded up, lol. It is from Psychiatry, actually. They tend to know what they're saying.

During the Final Four, Wayne was recognized many times as being that year's highest rated academic in the FF.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/21888399/...les-blackshear-wins-final-four-academic-award

Trashing Blackshear is another of those tremendously popular pastimes of UofL fans

To be clear - I was not trashing Wayne Blackshear. Blackshear's HS coach did trash Pitino for how he chose to use, or in some instances, not use Blackshear.

Blackshear had a fine career here I always found him as unappreciated. I am also well aware of his academic success.

That said, Blackshear showed up on campus perceived as being a 1st Rd NBA Draft Pick that would not be with the Cards for 4 years - and when he exited after 4 years, he did not get drafted. Maybe this was attributed to injuries. He wasn't hurt his entire career though. His HS basketball coach said if he had it to do over again he wouldn't have sent Blackshear to UofL.

The discussion was about recruiting top shelf players and why Rick was unable to land elite players. Wayne was one of his more higher profile gets, and many fans expected more out of him given his pedigree.

Brad Stevens is super duper interested followed by Donovan. Bob Knight has reached out as well. Seems like Tyra is part of the deep (blue) state.
Why are you lurking here? Do you enjoy others misery more than your own happiness? You’re sick.

Reactions: Kentucky31
You were disappointed in Wayne? .

This is just bizarre. Why can't a basketball recruiting conversation take place without feelings being hurt and victimization cards being pulled? Nobody was running down Wayne.

I consider Wayne Blackshear to be a selfless player that sacrificed quite a bit as a Cardinal. He was a key role player for a number of great UofL teams.

But let's not rewrite history. He averaged 8 ppg. That is not what the expectation was coming in. It just wasn't. This isn't an indictment on him, or Rick either really.

It just sums up what many others have said here for years, they've just said it in a way without mentioning names. The Pitino era was not about individual stats and showcasing for the NBA. That made pulling top tier talent a tough sell.

To be clear - I was not trashing Wayne Blackshear. Blackshear's HS coach did trash Pitino for how he chose to use, or in some instances, not use Blackshear.

Blackshear had a fine career here I always found him as unappreciated. I am also well aware of his academic success.

That said, Blackshear showed up on campus perceived as being a 1st Rd NBA Draft Pick that would not be with the Cards for 4 years - and when he exited after 4 years, he did not get drafted. Maybe this was attributed to injuries. He wasn't hurt his entire career though. His HS basketball coach said if he had it to do over again he wouldn't have sent Blackshear to UofL.

The discussion was about recruiting top shelf players and why Rick was unable to land elite players. Wayne was one of his more higher profile gets, and many fans expected more out of him given his pedigree.

There is an easy answer to that. So what?

Fat Wayne did a million small things on the court that translated to excellent team play. I just hate the arguments over the guy. Fans over rate everything.

There is an easy answer to that. So what?

Fat Wayne did a million small things on the court that translated to excellent team play. I just hate the arguments over the guy. Fans over rate everything.

There was no argument about him specifically, it's a discussion about the past recruiting of the program and his name was mentioned literally, in passing.

And your "so what" is your position to not engage in that part of the conversation - that is your right,ok. I see your so what and raise you a so what for your so what.

You liked the guy. So did I.

And I already said he was selfless and a key role player - so when you say he did a million small things on the court you're saying the same thing I said two posts above. If only you liked to read as much as you like to write.

These are rough times. If posters aren't picking on players or Rick - they are picking on each other. That's the next step in the recovery process!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT