ADVERTISEMENT

The State of Louisville Basketball

wilkie01

Four-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Planet Red
snafu-snafu-everywhere.jpg

Jurich fired Kragthorpe. If he wanted a coach gone, the coach would be gone.
And Jurich wasn't the only guy who wanted K-rag fired. You keep making the same analytical mistake.

The football and basketball coaches at the two major universities are the highest paid employees in the State. Their respective ADs do not make the final decisions re. those coaches. You think Tyra is gonna decide on his own who our next basketball coach is?...

Got that right. He should have been fired after the Karen Sypher mess. What a disgraceful example to young people.

LOL. Admit you hated him before he came here and while he was here you still hated his ass. Come on, get it off your chest, you are hardly alone. Acting like he offended you for banging a big boobed saucy slut is pretty rich. 75% of the men in here don't agree.

Reactions: zipp
LOL. Admit you hated him before he came here and while he was here you still hated his ass. Come on, get it off your chest, you are hardly alone...
Exactly. We have several regulars here who will admit they always hated Pitino and that the FBI thing has simply given them another opportunity to express that hate...

LOL. Admit you hated him before he came here and while he was here you still hated his ass. Come on, get it off your chest, you are hardly alone. Acting like he offended you for banging a big boobed saucy slut is pretty rich. 75% of the men in here don't agree.

No one cares about his off court dalliances.

His arrogance and subpar recruiting cost UofL Final Fours and Titles.
Couple that with his failure to monitor assistants.

The worship and continued worship of the former jackwagon is astounding.

UofL never needed a former SuCkS coach to rescue them.
His ineptitude left UofL worse than when he was hired.
I spit on the ground in his presence.............

Pitino's recruiting as far as player rankings was as good as it has been in program history. I need some help on the connection between his "arrogance" and his postseason performance.

There's a great divide between hate and worship. I'm a little right of center...

Reactions: Senore2006
Pitino's recruiting as far as player rankings was as good as it has been in program history. I need some help on the connection between his "arrogance" and his postseason performance.

There's a great divide between hate and worship. I'm a little right of center...

It could have better.
No im not talking about getting 20 five stars.
You only need one per class, he brought in to many diamonds in
the rough.

Reactions: wilkie01
It could have better.
No im not talking about getting 20 five stars.
You only need one per class, he brought in to many diamonds in
the rough.
I guess you could say after the fact that he got into the most trouble when he tried to follow that advice...

That's not a Jurich decision entirely or even mostly...

Jurich fired Kragthorpe. If he wanted a coach gone, the coach would be gone.

FB program under Kragthorpe was losing the University money. Fans stopped showing up. So if you want to blame anyone for Pitino not being fired after the Sypher deal well blame the fans. The BB program under Pitino was making lots of money. And the majority of fans still supported Pitino even after the Ho deal.

This mess lies with Pitino not Jurich. To much good in all the other programs to pin this entirely on Jurich.

FB program under Kragthorpe was losing the University money. Fans stopped showing up. So if you want to blame anyone for Pitino not being fired after the Sypher deal well blame the fans. The BB program under Pitino was making lots of money. And the majority of fans still supported Pitino even after the Ho deal.

This mess lies with Pitino not Jurich. To much good in all the other programs to pin this entirely on Jurich.

Seems like a win at all costs mentality to me. So since Pitino was making the University money, he wasnt fired even though he has singehandedly embarrassed the university not once, not twice, but now a third time?

All Im saying is the 3rd one couldve been prevented. It's much better too have a respectable program than to be completely shunned nationally now 3 times, but as long as we're winning, Jurich was okay with that.

Not once did I blame it all on Jurich but to say he couldnt have prevented it is a bit absurd. When you have a job it is NEVER about what you've done, it's the mistakes that make you lose your job. There were 3 scenarios that Pitino could have been fired. He wasnt fired in any of the 3 by the man that was his direct boss.

So the boss of the boss makes the move to fire both of them. If you cant see where Jurich messed up, then we'll never reach a conclusion here.

Reactions: wilkie01

Seems like a win at all costs mentality to me. So since Pitino was making the University money, he wasnt fired even though he has singehandedly embarrassed the university not once, not twice, but now a third time?

All Im saying is the 3rd one couldve been prevented. It's much better too have a respectable program than to be completely shunned nationally now 3 times, but as long as we're winning, Jurich was okay with that.

Not once did I blame it all on Jurich but to say he couldnt have prevented it is a bit absurd. When you have a job it is NEVER about what you've done, it's the mistakes that make you lose your job. There were 3 scenarios that Pitino could have been fired. He wasnt fired in any of the 3 by the man that was his direct boss.

So the boss of the boss makes the move to fire both of them. If you cant see where Jurich messed up, then we'll never reach a conclusion here.

I don’t believe for one minute it’s a win at all cost situation with the fans, Jurich, or University. This is a trusting issue (To trusting). 1) No one wanted to believe Pitino knew what went on during the Ho deal. And he probably didn’t 2) The Sypher deal was more of a forgiving deal. He made a personal mistake in his personal life. It happens a lot in our society. So the fan base and Jurich were to trusting and forgave. 3) Most people could not over look the Adidas scandal and knew Pitino had to go. Although many still feel he didn’t know.

Louisville is a city that believes in second chances and that’s not a bad thing as we are all human. We’ve had some really positive accounts of players we’ve given second chances too working out.

CBP May very well turn out to be a positive second chance. Media won’t see it that way because they want a negative story. There are those out there that feel they can judge others and should be the moral compass for all. All I can say to them is I hope you never have a misstep.

If it was a win at all cost it would involve more than BB. And if we’re all honest BB is the one sport we would never have to cheat in. We were established. If Jurich and the University condone cheating it would be everywhere. And it isn’t. In most fans eyes the BB programs our flagship program, but we have other sports and FB is gaining fast. Which is much more popular outside of KY than BB.

We will survive this. It’s time for the University to right itself. I just hope we get a President and AD that will be allowed to do that.

We the fans have always been proud of our clean record. Well that’s gone so we need to start a zero and begin anew.

Good news we’re in the ACC so we have a solid conference.

Jurich was nothing but the scapegoat for Pitino's continued employment. That's where the flaw in your logic keeps derailing you...

I don’t believe for one minute it’s a win at all cost situation with the fans, Jurich, or University. This is a trusting issue (To trusting). 1) No one wanted to believe Pitino knew what went on during the Ho deal. And he probably didn’t 2) The Sypher deal was more of a forgiving deal. He made a personal mistake in his personal life. It happens a lot in our society. So the fan base and Jurich were to trusting and forgave. 3) Most people could not over look the Adidas scandal and knew Pitino had to go. Although many still feel he didn’t know.

Louisville is a city that believes in second chances and that’s not a bad thing as we are all human. We’ve had some really positive accounts of players we’ve given second chances too working out.

CBP May very well turn out to be a positive second chance. Media won’t see it that way because they want a negative story. There are those out there that feel they can judge others and should be the moral compass for all. All I can say to them is I hope you never have a misstep.

If it was a win at all cost it would involve more than BB. And if we’re all honest BB is the one sport we would never have to cheat in. We were established. If Jurich and the University condone cheating it would be everywhere. And it isn’t. In most fans eyes the BB programs our flagship program, but we have other sports and FB is gaining fast. Which is much more popular outside of KY than BB.

We will survive this. It’s time for the University to right itself. I just hope we get a President and AD that will be allowed to do that.

We the fans have always been proud of our clean record. Well that’s gone so we need to start a zero and begin anew.

I understand that Jurich probably didnt know about what was going on, nor did Pitino. If that was ok in the medias, NCAA's, and everyone else's eyes then that would be fine with me if they were still here.

However, since none of those 3 do approve of the "I didnt know" statement, they both had to go. The BOT and AD probably just saved us from any further punishments to our program. The UofL men's basketball team is much further than Pitino. The UofL Athletics is now much further than Jurich. Sure, we're all ecstatic what he did for the university. We all pay respects to what he built, national powerhouses in multiple big time sports. However, there comes a point where you have to move on. Jurich wasn't going to be here much longer anyways.

The reason why Jurich is gone is because everyone else other than the city of Louisville could not give him another chance. Some people, including some Louisville fans, could not honestly believe that he allowed something like this to happen again. That's not saying he knew, but it is his job to make sure everything is all good. There's only so many times either person could use the "I didn't know" card. Sypher, ok we forgive you. Stripper scandal, alright we're super disappointed, but you can have one more chance. FBI scandal (as the stripper scandal was just ending), nope, that's the bottom line.

Like I said, I will always thank Jurich for what he did to the University and what he built, but it was time to move on. He understood that. He's taking responsibility for his mistake. Pitino, otoh, is suing for money. He's clearly not taking responsibility.

Jurich was nothing but the scapegoat for Pitino's continued employment. That's where the flaw in your logic keeps derailing you...

Any other AD would have fired Pitino way earlier. Jurich didnt fire him at all. Being friends destined their fate.

Reactions: American Male

I understand that Jurich probably didnt know about what was going on, nor did Pitino. If that was ok in the medias, NCAA's, and everyone else's eyes then that would be fine with me if they were still here.

However, since none of those 3 do approve of the "I didnt know" statement, they both had to go. The BOT and AD probably just saved us from any further punishments to our program. The UofL men's basketball team is much further than Pitino. The UofL Athletics is now much further than Jurich. Sure, we're all ecstatic what he did for the university. We all pay respects to what he built, national powerhouses in multiple big time sports. However, there comes a point where you have to move on. Jurich wasn't going to be here much longer anyways.

The reason why Jurich is gone is because everyone else other than the city of Louisville could not give him another chance. Some people, including some Louisville fans, could not honestly believe that he allowed something like this to happen again. That's not saying he knew, but it is his job to make sure everything is all good. There's only so many times either person could use the "I didn't know" card. Sypher, ok we forgive you. Stripper scandal, alright we're super disappointed, but you can have one more chance. FBI scandal (as the stripper scandal was just ending), nope, that's the bottom line.

Like I said, I will always thank Jurich for what he did to the University and what he built, but it was time to move on. He understood that. He's taking responsibility for his mistake. Pitino, otoh, is suing for money. He's clearly not taking responsibility.

No one knows all and I hardly think there’s an AD in country who would know if an assistant coach was cheating. Which is why there will be more to come on the shoe contract deal. I’m not going to debate Jurich’s firing anymore as it’s meaningless at this point.

However, if you think by firing Jurich the NCAA will go light on us prepare for disappointment.

Hope your correct, but I don’t see that happening.

First indication of your logic (Being correct) will be if we keep the banner. If that comes down prepare for the worse.

I have faith in Tyra as I know from a very close friend he’s Louisville through and through. But Grissom and Postel are anything but loyal. So their firing of Jurich was more of a plan that took advantage of a situation. Their intent was always to fire Jurich. Now they own the ship. Will they sail it or sink it. That’s the question.

Reactions: American Male
Any other AD would have fired Pitino way earlier. Jurich didnt fire him at all. Being friends destined their fate.
You don't know WTH you're talking about, and you keep talking to make that point...

No one knows all and I hardly think there’s an AD in country who would know if an assistant coach was cheating. Which is why there will be more to come on the shoe contract deal. I’m not going to debate Jurich’s firing anymore as it’s meaningless at this point.

However, if you think by firing Jurich the NCAA will go light on us prepare for disappointment.

Hope your correct, but I don’t see that happening.

First indication of your logic (Being correct) will be if we keep the banner. If that comes down prepare for the worse.

I have faith in Tyra as I know from a very close friend he’s Louisville through and through. But Grissom and Postel are anything but loyal. So their firing of Jurich was more of a plan that took advantage of a situation. Their intent was always to fire Jurich. Now they own the ship. Will they sail it or sink it. That’s the question.

Weren’t on probation. Kid never played a game. Head coach was fired. AD was fired. Those cannot have an effect on the banner. UofL cannot use that as an argument. That’s completely different. It wont determine anything to me. And also, Postel hired Tyra as interim and if (he is) Louisville through and through then that should be step 1 of an indication of sailing the ship

The Sypher stuff went public in April. In June, Jurich announces he is giving Pitino a raise. In August, President Ramsey announces that he has approved a raise and extension for Pitino. That sequence of events doomed the UofL basketball program. Pitino saw that there was no consequence for negative behavior. And Jurich/Ramsey saw that there was no check to their win at all costs mentality. And yes, fans sat by, continued to pay exhorbitant ticket prices and tacitly gave their approval.

In the end, UofL is going to come out of these with proper oversight AND winning programs.

Reactions: Sultan__of__Swine
Pitino was extorted by the blond MILF. You obviously have your perpetrator and victim backwards.

And we won the national championship in 2013. Funny how I didn't hear much of this discussion five years ago...

I'm an admitted long time anti Pitino person. I didn't want him gone after Sypher. Everyone gets one mistake. I DID want him gone after hookergate.

It showed a man who was in touch with his team or program for that to go on for years.

Hope he rots in Miami, and the only time he ever shows his face in the state again is when he gets his ticker tape parade in Lexington for single handedly bringing down the program.

Pitino was extorted by the blond MILF. You obviously have your perpetrator and victim backwards.

And we won the national championship in 2013. Funny how I didn't hear much of this discussion five years ago...

The details were scurrilous enough that maybe a raise wasn’t warranted two months after they were revealed. Teflon Rick also managed to get through both scandals without even a reprimand.

The details were scurrilous enough that maybe a raise wasn’t warranted two months after they were revealed. Teflon Rick also managed to get through both scandals without even a reprimand.
So you withhold a raise from someone who's the victim to a crime? Strange.

If there was no fallout from prior transgressions, we're on even weaker footing firing Pitino over the FBI...

So you withhold a raise from someone who's the victim to a crime? Strange.

If there was no fallout from prior transgressions, we're on even weaker footing firing Pitino over the FBI...

The crime revealed him in behavior that was unbecoming of the top paid official at the university.

Not sure I understand your second paragraph.

The crime revealed him in behavior that was unbecoming of the top paid official at the university.

Not sure I understand your second paragraph.
"Unbecoming" my a$$. That's the bible thumper in you speaking.

According to you, Pitino was fired over the FBI thing alone. That's weak sauce which is what his attorney is hoping...

"Unbecoming" my a$$. That's the bible thumper in you speaking.

According to you, Pitino was fired over the FBI thing alone. That's weak sauce which is what his attorney is hoping...

Doesn’t take a bible thumper to think that screwing some nasty old woman that’s not his wife in a restaurant was unbecoming.

I think he was fired because his coaching staff committed egregious NCAA violations while on probation. What’s your point?

Doesn’t take a bible thumper to think that screwing some nasty old woman that’s not his wife in a restaurant was unbecoming.

I think he was fired because his coaching staff committed egregious NCAA violations while on probation. What’s your point?
The problem that you and the Pitino haters are gonna have is that there was no groundwork laid to do what today's goon squad has done. If being around "nasty" people was a problem, was that ever communicated to Pitino by his employer? You don't think it was, and that's a big problem if you're correct. It doesn't matter who--as in Jurich or Ramsey--was doing (or not) the communicating. That's not Pitino's fault if those guys didn't do it.

You also don't have a good case if his contract doesn't say that he's explicitly responsible for the actions of his assistants, to the extent that he himself engaged in the action. "Not knowing" is not necessarily a breach of contract; it's an accountability specifically related to the NCAA.

You'd better hope there was more evidence than you know about re. Pitino. Looks to me like the goons were more interested in seizing on an opportunity.

parade%20of%20fools_zpskpipxzq5.jpg

Reactions: Senore2006
The problem that you and the Pitino haters are gonna have is that there was no groundwork laid to do what today's goon squad has done. If being around "nasty" people was a problem, was that ever communicated to Pitino by his employer? You don't think it was, and that's a big problem if you're correct. It doesn't matter who--as in Jurich or Ramsey--was doing (or not) the communicating. That's not Pitino's fault if those guys didn't do it.

You also don't have a good case if his contract doesn't say that he's explicitly responsible for the actions of his assistants, to the extent that he himself engaged in the action. "Not knowing" is not necessarily a breach of contract; it's an accountability specifically related to the NCAA.

You'd better hope there was more evidence than you know about re. Pitino. Looks to me like the goons were more interested in seizing on an opportunity.

Your posts are coming out of left field on this. First of all, if these things aren’t communicated to Pitino then it doesn’t speak well of your St. Tom. Surely he wasnt guilty of a dereliction of duty.

Secondly any responsible person (ie: a jury) could be persuaded by any two bit ambulance chaser attorney that Pitino has responsibility over the basketball program as a whole and that 2 major NCAA offenses would be grounds for a “with cause” dismissal.

Your posts are coming out of left field on this. First of all, if these things aren’t communicated to Pitino then it doesn’t speak well of your St. Tom. Surely he wasnt guilty of a dereliction of duty.

Secondly any responsible person (ie: a jury) could be persuaded by any two bit ambulance chaser attorney that Pitino has responsibility over the basketball program as a whole and that 2 major NCAA offenses would be grounds for a “with cause” dismissal.

The NCAA has already stated that coaches will be held accountable for their staffs actions. So I would be shocked if it’s not stated similarly in his contract or a policy within athletics department.

From everything I’m hearing and what my HR director wife is telling me it’s not that they didn’t have cause because they did, but they may not have followed the contract as in how they carried out the firing. And that could have happened because UofL is without an HR director or was at the time. My wife doesn’t work for UofL. This is possibly where the new regime screwed up.

I didn't make any allegations about how many or few (or any) reprimands that Pitino received for prior behaviors. That was your argument, and you don't think he received any--you said that--underlying evidently your opinions about Jurich.

It's also no one's job to persuade a judge or jury if the language is clear in Pitino's contract. No need to speculate when you can read it...

The NCAA has already stated that coaches will be held accountable for their staffs actions. So I would be shocked if it’s not stated similarly in his contract or a policy within athletics department.

From everything I’m hearing and what my HR director wife is telling me it’s not that they didn’t have cause because they did, but they may not have followed the contract as in how they carried out the firing. And that could have happened because UofL is without an HR director or was at the time. My wife doesn’t work for UofL. This is possibly where the new regime screwed up.
The HR angle is interesting, and this is one of the rare mentions of it. I read with interest some of the issues raised a few months ago in light of potential involvement by U of L's HR Dept. Such a department exists, and they have a spiffy website to prove it!

How, for example, did a functioning HR Dept not require that the Athletics Dept conduct regular performance reviews as was alleged of Jurich? And how did that Dept escape any responsibility for the administrative issues that were alleged? I've never witnessed an HR function that sat in the background while these core processes were mismanaged.

My guess is that U of L's HR folks were doing their jobs just fine, and that most of the garbage in the news was concocted by the goon squad as cover. I never heard that U of L was "without a director at the time"--and whose responsibility would that be if they were? Jurich?

Most of this ish will come back on the scumbags.

[As a postscript... Why do weeks and months continue to go by without a lawsuit filed to recover $$$ from Doc Ramsey? Same answer...]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT