ADVERTISEMENT

The Small Forward Position

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Definitely the biggest need right now with Blackshear, Aaron and Gill gone. Have Deng Adel coming in but there isn't really a back up unless CRP decides to do 3 guard line ups as well.

After last night's Derby Classic I like Adel's chances of starting. While I realize not much defense was played I like Adel's versatility and ability to both put the ball on the floor as well as hit the perimeter shot too.

Any 5th year transfer coming here isn't coming to sit. The Lewis guy is a likely starter, and so would Lee be. That leaves Q as the third perimeter player as a likely starter.

No one gets a guaranteed starting position. But why would a 5th year guy transfer here to play as a back-up? He'd play pro ball somewhere else.

If we don't bring in the second transfer, the third position is open for competition. Adel's in that mix, but he's not a shoo-in IMO. Not sure he's got the shooting ability yet that Pitino wants at the '3'...

Originally posted by zipp:
Any 5th year transfer coming here isn't coming to sit. The Lewis guy is a likely starter, and so would Lee be. That leaves Q as the third perimeter player as a likely starter.

No one gets a guaranteed starting position. But why would a 5th year guy transfer here to play as a back-up? He'd play pro ball somewhere else.

If we don't bring in the second transfer, the third position is open for competition. Adel's in that mix, but he's not a shoo-in IMO. Not sure he's got the shooting ability yet that Pitino wants at the '3'...
I agree w/ this.

I'm expecting Adel to be a contributor at times off the bench in 10-15 MPG type of deal. Which is good, and not a pressure role at all.

Starters IMO:

1- Q
2 - Lewis
3 - Lee (if he comes)
4 - Adel
5 - Anas or Mango

Top Sub:

Mitchell (20-28 min)

May be way off but time will tell.

I could actually see us going three guards with Q, Lewis and Mitchell as starters too! No telling what happens with our front line, but the bottom-line is someone must step up big-time on the front line!

Originally posted by Ipartiedwithhopgood:
Adel @ the 4?

Don't see that, that's got to be Jaylen. Or maybe Egypt if Rick wants to get cute.
I believe Anas at the '4' is on the drawing board. High/low post and a point-forward offense. The guys has the skills...

Originally posted by zipp:

Originally posted by Ipartiedwithhopgood:
Adel @ the 4?

Don't see that, that's got to be Jaylen. Or maybe Egypt if Rick wants to get cute.

I believe Anas at the '4' is on the drawing board. High/low post and a point-forward offense. The guys has the skills...
Agree again. We will see how he does in the off season.

I believe Jaylen gets first crack but I anticipate Rick rotating the 4 bigs at his leisure.

If Lee doesn't transfer to UofL, I could see Johnson moving to the 3 spot out of necessity. Adel looks rough around the edges, but I like his ability to contribute without having the ball in his hands. I'd rather start a 3 guard lineup or 3 big lineup based on what I've seen from Adel, which is limited.

Johnson will get first chance at the 4 spot, I like his game. With the few minutes he got he actually looked pretty good out there.

Originally posted by J-Rye_UL:
If Lee doesn't transfer to UofL, I could see Johnson moving to the 3 spot out of necessity. Adel looks rough around the edges, but I like his ability to contribute without having the ball in his hands. I'd rather start a 3 guard lineup or 3 big lineup based on what I've seen from Adel, which is limited.
I could be wrong here, but I give it about a 0% chance that Jaylen would play SF here.

Rick would go small before going playing a ton of bigs together. We wouldn't have the kind of shooting he wants and we'd be unable to press.

If Rick can't add a SF, I'd imagine he'll give Adel a chance but also go very small w/ the 3 G look.

Originally posted by Ipartiedwithhopgood:I could be wrong here, but I give it about a 0% chance that Jaylen would play SF here.

Rick would go small before going playing a ton of bigs together. We wouldn't have the kind of shooting he wants and we'd be unable to press.

If Rick can't add a SF, I'd imagine he'll give Adel a chance but also go very small w/ the 3 G look.
I agree with this. If CRP doesn't land another SF then I think a 3 guard line up is the most likely scenario- Snider, Lewis, and Mitchell or Adel either starting at SF or as a backup.

This post was edited on 4/12 9:47 PM by shadow force

Originally posted by ShortCreek:
Starters IMO:

1- Q
2 - Lewis
3 - Lee (if he comes)
4 - Adel
5 - Anas or Mango

Top Sub:

Mitchell (20-28 min)

Adel is not big enough to play the 4. We would get killed on the boards. Also, not sure what anyone has seen that makes them think JJ can play the 3. He will get a shot at the starting 4 spot. The development of the big men, especially Anas possibly at the 4 will have a big impact on what lineups we can play. Hopefully, with some work, all the FR will make a big jump after one season under their belts, a full off-season conditioning program, and a better idea of what it takes to play big time D-1 ball in general.

Originally posted by UofLHouse:

Originally posted by ShortCreek:
Starters IMO:

1- Q
2 - Lewis
3 - Lee (if he comes)
4 - Adel
5 - Anas or Mango

Top Sub:

Mitchell (20-28 min)

Adel is not big enough to play the 4. We would get killed on the boards. Also, not sure what anyone has seen that makes them think JJ can play the 3. He will get a shot at the starting 4 spot. The development of the big men, especially Anas possibly at the 4 will have a big impact on what lineups we can play. Hopefully, with some work, all the FR will make a big jump after one season under their belts, a full off-season conditioning program, and a better idea of what it takes to play big time D-1 ball in general.
Yes, I believe Johnson could play the 3 spot out of necessity. Obviously he isn't a good small forward in Pitino's system, but we're out of options. If we play Snider, Mitchell, and Lewis as the 3 guard lineup, who comes in off the bench? If I'm choosing between Adel and Johnson, give me Johnson. Pitino actually put Montrezl Harrell at small forward for short stretches, and Johnson has better perimeter skills than Harrell. A nice attack dribble from 20 feet out, and a reletively smooth stroke. The press would be an issue, but pick your poison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT