ADVERTISEMENT

The Bullpen

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Gonna try to talk about different areas of the team leading up to the Holidays and subsequently the start of the new season. Seems like forever between the end and the beginning of the next one.

I'm starting here because I think this group holds the key to whether or not the team is good or great. Just my opinion, but looking at other areas of the team, we are solid.

In the other thread we talked about the starting rotation (if the season started today) . Probably Bennett, Miller and Detmers. So, if we take those 3 out of the equation, who's left?...

Btw, I think that starting rotation is as rock solid as I can remember a Friday-Saturday -Sunday rotation being at this point going in. That's important for obvious reasons.

There are several returning guys. Potential closers to fill the huge void left by the departure of Big Sam Bordner are Shay Smiddy and Mike McAvene, 2 hard throwing right handed juniors.

I think McAvene might end up being the guy with Smiddy being more of a setup guy. Big shoes to fill here, and a long line of great closers going back.

Middle relief guys returning:

Austin Dickey-Another hard throwing Right handed Junior. He will be used a lot.
Michael Kirian-Left handed So. needs to improve from last season. He did show signs during the Fall. We need these middle and situational lefties to bring it. There aren't a lot of them, with 2 lefties starting.

Adam Elliott - Another Lh that sat out Fall ball. Expecting this St X grad's role to increase this season.

Bryan Hoeing- Another big right hander. He,along with all these others, pitched last season. He might end up being a 4th starter, unless one of the Freshmen push through to earn that spot.

Last edited:
Among the Freshmen that we might see in the mix, Carter Lohman,Danny Zimmerman,Jake Rosing,Kerry Wright and Jack Perkins.

Good to see Adam Elliot look 100% this weekend. He was impressive Saturday on the mound. He is a lefty that we'll need as middle relief.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT