ADVERTISEMENT

The Arrogance Crushed, a true comparison between UofL and Purdue

Jun 24, 2009
You know, it's really funny seeing the arrogance by Purdue fans. Acting like they all are somehow even in the same stratosphere as the blue bloods of college football and not the bottom dweller that they really are. Acting like Purdue is such a better program than UofL, such an absolute joke. I'll be crushing that notion with this post. The stats don't lie:

Last Major Bowl Game:
UofL: 2016
Purdue: 2003

Bowl Games:
UofL: 22
Purdue: 18

Overall Conference Championships:
UofL: 8 (1970, 1972 (Split), 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2011 (Split), 2012 (Split) )
Purdue: 8 (1918(Split),
1929, 1931(Split), 1932 (Split), 1943 (Split), 1952 (Split), 1967 (Split), 2000 (Split) )

Of course this is biased towards Purdue as UofL was an Independent from 1912 to 1962 as well as an Independent from 1975 to 1995 and therefore would not have any chance at a conference title. I am also not counting Purdue's 1891 - 1894 IIAA Conference Championships, a conference where Purdue was the ONLY MEMBER! Talk about pathetic!

Last Split Conference Championship:
UofL: 2012
Purdue: 2000

Last Outright Conference Championship:
UofL: 2006
Purdue: 1929

Last Major Bowl Win:
UofL: 2012 (Sugar Bowl)
Purdue: 1978 (Peach Bowl)

Heisman Trophy Winners:
UofL: 1
Purdue: NONE

Major Bowl Wins:
UofL: 3 (1991 Fiesta Bowl, 2007 Orange Bowl, 2013 Sugar Bowl)
Purdue: 2 (1966 Rose Bowl, 1978 Peach Bowl)

Wow, such tradition by Purdue. I'm particularly impressed by Purdue's pre-WW II prowess. I don't debate that the Purdue program has been around longer than the UofL program or that they had more success back before color TV's were a thing, but the arrogance and ignorance by Purdue fans is amazing.

Newsflash to all Purdue fans, and yes I'm going to yell this intentionally, NO RECRUIT IN THE COUNTRY GIVES A DAMN ABOUT WHAT PURDUE DID BACK IN THE 1920s, 1930s AND 1940s.

By every metric, the UofL program has been far superior to Purdue since Howard Schnellenberger came to UofL in the mid 80s. More conference championships, more bowl games, more bowl victories, more players in the NFL and a Heisman Trophy winner. Howard Schnellenberger told the UofL fanbase in the 80s that we were in a collision course with the National Championship, that the only variable was time. Who heard that very loudly back in that day, Jeff Brohm.

Jeff Brohm and the First Family of Louisville will be coming home to make good on that promise Howard Schnellenberger made all those years ago. I hope Purdue has some good candidates ready because it's a done deal. Everyone thinking reasonably knows that Jeff Brohm would have already signed a contract extension if he was actually staying at Purdue. But Jeff Brohm knows Purdue's history just like you all do, and that is that Purdue is a stepping stone job, nothing more.

It will be so wonderful to bring Jeff Brohm home to a program where he will win a National Championship and become one of the legends of college football! At least you all can say you had him for a few years, similar to Michigan State and Nick Saban, West Virginia and Bobby Bowden and Texas A&M and Bear Bryant.

Oh and BTW, our stadium blows Purdue's high school stadium away. I'm sure it's a decent stadium by college standards, but matriarch Momma Brohm will enjoy sitting on an individual comfortable seat over a cold bench, hahahaha.

Oh and BTW, our stadium blows Purdue's high school stadium away. I'm sure it's a decent stadium by college standards, but matriarch Momma Brohm will enjoy sitting on an individual comfortable seat over a cold bench, hahahaha.[/QUOTE]

Momma Brohm sits in a private suite with leather chairs-saw her at Wisconson game. I never heard of any B1G Football stadiums referred to as "high school" stadiums? Except for Rutgers all of them are pretty historic compared to ACC

Purdue is an outstanding university in an excellent conference. They have much to be proud of and if CJB actually does come here they will be able to attract an able replacement. If CJB stays, UofL will be able to attract an able replacement. I’m not sweating it either way.

Momma Brohm sits in a private suite with leather chairs-saw her at Wisconson game. I never heard of any B1G Football stadiums referred to as "high school" stadiums? Except for Rutgers all of them are pretty historic compared to ACC

Oh is that how you all describe decrepit stadiums? Historic, nice spin on it. Cardinal Stadium was built in 1998 and expanded in 2010 and 2018 and is absolutely the nicest college football stadium in the country in terms of amenities. From what I know it is still to this day the only on campus college football stadium with all chair back seating, no bench seating. In fact the only negative about Cardinal Stadium is that it's so much like an NFL stadium it sometimes suffers from an NFL environment.

Again, I'm sure Purdue's stadium is decent, but it's old and you can only put so much lipstick on a pig. Cardinal Stadium is absolutely the shining example of a modern football stadium with all the belles and whistles. Most college stadiums are high school level compared to Cardinal Stadium. Purdue's stadium simply can't compare.

Purdue fans have a ton to be proud of, and I won't belittle their tradition or history. Purude University is a fine college too. You can earn a quality education from Purdue University.

With that stated, the University of Louisville has plenty of tradition and history to be proud of too. It may not go back to the 18th century, but nobody from that era is currently alive either so it doesn't really matter. What matters is today and the future. IF coach Brohm wants to come back home, then the job is his I think. That is pure speculation though because none of us know if Tyra has even offered him the job yet.

Reactions: beardownboiler
You know, it's really funny seeing the arrogance by Purdue fans. Acting like they all are somehow even in the same stratosphere as the blue bloods of college football and not the bottom dweller that they really are. Acting like Purdue is such a better program than UofL, such an absolute joke. I'll be crushing that notion with this post. The stats don't lie:

Last Major Bowl Game:
UofL: 2016
Purdue: 2003

Bowl Games:
UofL: 22
Purdue: 18

Overall Conference Championships:
UofL: 8 (1970, 1972 (Split), 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2011 (Split), 2012 (Split) )
Purdue: 8 (1918(Split),
1929, 1931(Split), 1932 (Split), 1943 (Split), 1952 (Split), 1967 (Split), 2000 (Split) )

Of course this is biased towards Purdue as UofL was an Independent from 1912 to 1962 as well as an Independent from 1975 to 1995 and therefore would not have any chance at a conference title. I am also not counting Purdue's 1891 - 1894 IIAA Conference Championships, a conference where Purdue was the ONLY MEMBER! Talk about pathetic!

Last Split Conference Championship:
UofL: 2012
Purdue: 2000

Last Outright Conference Championship:
UofL: 2006
Purdue: 1929

Last Major Bowl Win:
UofL: 2012 (Sugar Bowl)
Purdue: 1978 (Peach Bowl)

Heisman Trophy Winners:
UofL: 1
Purdue: NONE

Major Bowl Wins:
UofL: 3 (1991 Fiesta Bowl, 2007 Orange Bowl, 2013 Sugar Bowl)
Purdue: 2 (1966 Rose Bowl, 1978 Peach Bowl)

Wow, such tradition by Purdue. I'm particularly impressed by Purdue's pre-WW II prowess. I don't debate that the Purdue program has been around longer than the UofL program or that they had more success back before color TV's were a thing, but the arrogance and ignorance by Purdue fans is amazing.

Newsflash to all Purdue fans, and yes I'm going to yell this intentionally, NO RECRUIT IN THE COUNTRY GIVES A DAMN ABOUT WHAT PURDUE DID BACK IN THE 1920s, 1930s AND 1940s.

By every metric, the UofL program has been far superior to Purdue since Howard Schnellenberger came to UofL in the mid 80s. More conference championships, more bowl games, more bowl victories, more players in the NFL and a Heisman Trophy winner. Howard Schnellenberger told the UofL fanbase in the 80s that we were in a collision course with the National Championship, that the only variable was time. Who heard that very loudly back in that day, Jeff Brohm.
All that would be a lot more impressive if Louisville did it as part of a good conference. They didn't.

They did have the heisman winner while part of the ACC but the best player in college football brought you 4 and 5 loss seasons now that you're in a big boy conference.

You're also right that recruits don't care what Purdue did a long time ago but also don't care what Louisville did in lesser conferences as well. They might care about this years record and the current trajectory of the programs which brings me to my last point.

Purdue just built one of the top football facilities there is. That combined with the new AD has Purdue a much better job than it was before even mentionin what Brohm has done. And speaking of him, nobody here on message boards knows what Brohm will decide. Purdue fans will spin it our way and you'll soon it to your side. Both sides will wait clueless until a decision is made.

Purdue fans have a ton to be proud of, and I won't belittle their tradition or history. Purude University is a fine college too. You can earn a quality education from Purdue University.

With that stated, the University of Louisville has plenty of tradition and history to be proud of too. It may not go back to the 18th century, but nobody from that era is currently alive either so it doesn't really matter. What matters is today and the future. IF coach Brohm wants to come back home, then the job is his I think. That is pure speculation though because none of us know if Tyra has even offered him the job yet.

The difference is our history and tradition is actually relevant. Most of it has been accomplished in the last 30 years and that is what recruits care about.

Purdue's history and tradition is majority pre-World War II. Think about that for a second, that last time Purdue was a traditional power over a several year period, Adolf Hitler was still alive. I think it's safe to say that modern history and tradition carries more weight than history and tradition 75 years ago.

I know recruits could care less about history and tradition from 75 years ago. If it actually did have weight Army and Navy would still be powers. I look at Purdue in the same fashion as Army and Navy, some really great history a long time ago, almost completely irrelevant in today's college football.

I'm sorry but I've really been surprised by the arrogance of Purdue fans. I never had anything against Purdue before this but after this I hope they continue being a Big Ten doormat. I look forward to seeing Purdue continue to be Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State's b*tch. I look forward to seeing Purdue fans cry when Brohm takes UofL to an ACC title, a College Football Playoff appearance and possibly more. :)

Reactions: Cue Card
All that would be a lot more impressive if Louisville did it as part of a good conference. They didn't.

They did have the heisman winner while part of the ACC but the best player in college football brought you 4 and 5 loss seasons now that you're in a big boy conference.

You're also right that recruits don't care what Purdue did a long time ago but also don't care what Louisville did in lesser conferences as well. They might care about this years record and the current trajectory of the programs which brings me to my last point.

Purdue just built one of the top football facilities there is. That combined with the new AD has Purdue a much better job than it was before even mentionin what Brohm has done. And speaking of him, nobody here on message boards knows what Brohm will decide. Purdue fans will spin it our way and you'll soon it to your side. Both sides will wait clueless until a decision is made.

OhioBoiler make no doubt about it. If you were in the Big East and AAC the same time frame we were you would absolutely have been our b*tch. We would have beaten you routinely and you would have still never won a conference title. Even during the Kragthorpe years WVU was still a power and you would not have beaten them. You would not have won a single Big East or AAC conference title or even been close.

I also like how you routinely omit that the Big Ten was absolute garbage for several years. Never mind you are in the far easier Big Ten division. Sorry if I'm not scared (like you are) of programs like Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Northwestern and Indiana. You're like UK fans, acting like you play Ohio State and Michigan every week.

Most recruits are okay with forgiving one bad year. But here's the thing, history is the best indicator of success OhioBoiler. History shows that UofL will only be down for a short time and will rebound. History on the other hand shows that Purdue will continue to be a Big Ten bottom dweller, with maybe a really good year every 15 to 20 years. Joe Tiller and Drew Brees aren't walking through that door for Purdue.

Purdue has only had some sustained success under Joe Tiller. We had sustained success under Howard Schnellenberger, John L. Smith, Bobby Petrino 1.0 and Charlie Strong.

Your facilities might have been improved but our football facility just underwent a huge facelift itself. We have the nicest stadium in college football and some of the best office, weight room and practice facilities in college football. Purdue's facilities might have undergone an upgrade, but our facilities are still better.

The difference is our history and tradition is actually relevant. Most of it has been accomplished in the last 30 years and that is what recruits care about.

Purdue's history and tradition is majority pre-World War II. Think about that for a second, that last time Purdue was a traditional power over a several year period, Adolf Hitler was still alive. I think it's safe to say that modern history and tradition carries more weight than history and tradition 75 years ago.

I know recruits could care less about history and tradition from 75 years ago. If it actually did have weight Army and Navy would still be powers. I look at Purdue in the same fashion as Army and Navy, some really great history a long time ago, almost completely irrelevant in today's college football.

I'm sorry but I've really been surprised by the arrogance of Purdue fans. I never had anything against Purdue before this but after this I hope they continue being a Big Ten doormat. I look forward to seeing Purdue continue to be Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State's b*tch. I look forward to seeing Purdue fans cry when Brohm takes UofL to an ACC title, a College Football Playoff appearance and possibly more. :)
I will agree that the arrogance is a bit much and I am surprised by it. I mean it's Purdue. Nice university. Decent tradition, but not compared to the blue bloods which some of the Purdue fans act like they are. They're not. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW UofL is not a blue blood football program. We want to be but we're not there yet and may never get there. Who knows? I can say with confidence Purdue won't because they've had the luxury of belonging to a quality conference for a very long time and they've NEVER been able to sustain enough winning to become a blue blood. That's just the cold hard truth. UofL hasn't been at the big boy table long yet we have already caught up with where they are on the college football food chain. That's my humble opinion, which means I think we have a brighter future when comparing the two.

Lol that you think recruits now care about results in mediocre to bad conferences over a decade before they were born.

Also Purdue blew out the team that won the big ten east this year so idk how that makes Purdue the doormat.

I get that you sense the arrogance from Purdue fans. I don’t think any of our fans are dumb enough to think we are blue blood. We have a proud history and frankly I think is under rated as a University. Louisville has a lot to be proud of as well, but we both can put together a comparison that makes each school look better. Do you actually think CB cares about that? We love Coach Brohm and hope he stays, but if not, I know I will root for him as he has helped us tremendously the last 2 years.

I will agree that the arrogance is a bit much and I am surprised by it. I mean it's Purdue. Nice university. Decent tradition, but not compared to the blue bloods which some of the Purdue fans act like they are. They're not. Don't get me wrong, I KNOW UofL is not a blue blood football program. We want to be but we're not there yet and may never get there. Who knows? I can say with confidence Purdue won't because they've had the luxury of belonging to a quality conference for a very long time and they've NEVER been able to sustain enough winning to become a blue blood. That's just the cold hard truth. UofL hasn't been at the big boy table long yet we have already caught up with where they are on the college football food chain. That's my humble opinion, which means I think we have a brighter future when comparing the two.

Exactly Cue Card, Purdue fans like OhioBoiler like to talk about how their schedule was harder while omitting the advantages they had over a program like ours. Purdue has more money, more resources and better TV deals for recruiting and yet they have NEVER been able to consistently take advantage of it. I like to think about this, if we have accomplished what we have while being in Conference USA, Big East and AAC, think about what we can possibly accomplish now that we are finally on equal footing. Now that we can go to recruits and truly say "you could win a National Title here". Now that we have the money to get the best coaches and have the best facilities. Those are advantages we never had in Conference USA, Big East or AAC.

Like you said, I understand UofL is not a blue blood school in football. But neither is Purdue and considering our success the past 30 years we are the better program Purdue fans act like they are on par with Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State and Wisconsin. The reality is they are more on par with Wake Forest, Kansas, Oregon State and Vanderbilt.

If Purdue was in the east then I'd agree wth you but the opportunity is there in the big ten west to turn into a really consistent good program. Something that Purdue was already for nearly a decade under tiller when we had to play the teams in the east now every year.

I get that you sense the arrogance from Purdue fans. I don’t think any of our fans are dumb enough to think we are blue blood. We have a proud history and frankly I think is under rated as a University. Louisville has a lot to be proud of as well, but we both can put together a comparison that makes each school look better. Do you actually think CB cares about that? We love Coach Brohm and hope he stays, but if not, I know I will root for him as he has helped us tremendously the last 2 years.

Yeah I do think CB cares about it, deep down.

I think your fan base underestimates the love the Brohm family has for UofL. They aren't called the First Family of Louisville for nothing. I also think Brohm understands that while he could be loved at Purdue, that he will never be loved at Purdue the way he would be at UofL if he brings our program back to prominence. He knows he could end up being a great coach at Purdue, but his heart would always be in Louisville. He also knows he could up being a legend at UofL.

I do think some of your fans think that they are some sort of blue blood. You might have a proud history but again, it is a VERY OLD history.

I don't deny your history, but I don't think your history is better than ours. We have just as much history as you and ours is more recent and relevant.

Exactly Cue Card, Purdue fans like OhioBoiler like to talk about how their schedule was harder while omitting the advantages they had over a program like ours. Purdue has more money, more resources and better TV deals for recruiting and yet they have NEVER been able to consistently take advantage of it. I like to think about this, if we have accomplished what we have while being in Conference USA, Big East and AAC, think about what we can possibly accomplish now that we are finally on equal footing. Now that we can go to recruits and truly say "you could win a National Title here". Now that we have the money to get the best coaches and have the best facilities. Those are advantages we never had in Conference USA, Big East or AAC.

Like you said, I understand UofL is not a blue blood school in football. But neither is Purdue and considering our success the past 30 years we are the better program Purdue fans act like they are on par with Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State and Wisconsin. The reality is they are more on par with Wake Forest, Kansas, Oregon State and Vanderbilt.
Now that you're on equal footing you'll see that your ceiling is 3rd in your division behind FSU and Clemson. It happens to all schools when they move to a better conference. Think they're all that then the big boys slap em back down to reality. That'll be your ceiling even with Brohm I he chooses that route

If Purdue was in the east then I'd agree wth you but the opportunity is there in the big ten west to turn into a really consistent good program. Something that Purdue was already for nearly a decade under tiller when we had to play the teams in the east now every year.

This is what I'm talking about. You weren't consistently good for a decade. A little bit of an exaggeration. Here is the Joe Tiller era at Purdue:

1997: 9 - 3 (6-2 Big Ten) - Alamo Bowl Champion
1998: 9 - 4 (6-2 Big Ten) - Alamo Bowl Champion
1999: 7 - 4 (4-4 Big Ten) - Lost Outback Bowl
2000: 8 - 4 (6-2 Big Ten) - Big Ten Co-Champion - Lost Rose Bowl
2001: 6 - 6 (4-4 Big Ten) - Lost Sun Bowl
2002: 7 - 6 (4-4 Big Ten) - Lost Sun Bowl
2003: 9 - 4 (6-2 Big Ten) - Lost Citrus Bowl
2004: 7 - 5 (4-4 Big Ten) - Lost Sun Bowl
2005: 5 - 6 (3-5 Big Ten) - No Bowl Game
2006: 8 - 6 (5-3 Big Ten) - Lost Champ Sports Bowl
2007: 8 - 5 (3-5 Big Ten) - Motor City Bowl Champion
2008: 4 - 8 (2-6 Big Ten) - No Bowl Game

Purdue basically had a nice run from 1997-2000 when Drew Brees was the QB. Once Brees was gone Purdue basically became a 6 - 6 level program for the remainder of the Tiller era. At one point Purdue lost 7 straight bowl games under Tiller. Purdue had a good run from 1997-2000 and then a good year in 2003, but they weren't a good program for a decade like you claim.

Now that you're on equal footing you'll see that your ceiling is 3rd in your division behind FSU and Clemson. It happens to all schools when they move to a better conference. Think they're all that then the big boys slap em back down to reality. That'll be your ceiling even with Brohm I he chooses that route

Oh really, so 2016, where we tied for the division title, didn't happen? One more yard and we would've beaten Clemson and won the ACC that year. And newsflash, we've already beaten FSU twice since joining the ACC and should have won a third game this year. FSU is going to be down for a couple of years and then when they get back up their ceiling will be 3rd behind Clemson and UofL.

Oh and BTW, the Clemson program that we almost beat in 2016 would've dismantled the entire Big Ten.

This is what I'm talking about. You weren't consistently good for a decade. A little bit of an exaggeration. Here is the Joe Tiller era at Purdue:

Purdue basically had a nice run from 1997-2000 when Drew Brees was the QB. Once Brees was gone Purdue basically became a 6 - 6 level program for the remainder of the Tiller era. At one point Purdue lost 7 straight bowl games under Tiller. Purdue had a good run from 1997-2000 and then a good year in 2003, but they weren't a good program for a decade like you claim.
Dude, Brohm is not coming back Louisville

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Yeah I do think CB cares about it, deep down.

I think your fan base underestimates the love the Brohm family has for UofL. They aren't called the First Family of Louisville for nothing. I also think Brohm understands that while he could be loved at Purdue, that he will never be loved at Purdue the way he would be at UofL if he brings our program back to prominence. He knows he could end up being a great coach at Purdue, but his heart would always be in Louisville. He also knows he could up being a legend at UofL.

I do think some of your fans think that they are some sort of blue blood. You might have a proud history but again, it is a VERY OLD history.

I don't deny your history, but I don't think your history is better than ours. We have just as much history as you and ours is more recent and relevant.

I think we get the First Family of Louisville stuff. Lol, it is said all the time. Don’t let around 5 people on twitter and message boards sway your opinion about Purdue. We are very proud of our history in athletics and as an entire institution. I think most are just defending our school. Just my opinion.

Been to Louisville multiple times and love Doc Crows and peerless.

Lol You put those teams in conference USA and the big east and they are never out of the top 25. Also those are good records when you consider Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio st, Michigan st, Penn st, and Notre dame were on those schedules. Heck even Minnesota and Illinois had a few stretches of good years. Do you think Schedules with West Virginia, Cincinnati, Rutgers, and Pittsburgh compare? Won't even go into he weak conference USA was. Just stop trying, you have barely more to brag about than Ohio U does for their consistency in the MAC.

Now that you're in a good conference you will appreciate 7-9 win seasons more because that'll be closer to your ceiling. It was even with a heisman winner. Maybe if you were in the ACC coastal because it's more like the big ten west but you're stuck in basically the big ten east of the ACC.

You should post UL’s bowl history. Looks pretty similar. Lamar Jackson was a hell of a player. He definitely made your program really strong for a few years. Beyond that, your program isn’t better than Purdue’s. Would’ve really chapped your ass to hear the ESPN guys call a move to Louisville a “lateral move at best” today.

But Brohm’s not happening. So good luck with the next guy, whomever it is.

Reactions: OhioBoiler51
Would’ve really chapped your ass to hear the ESPN guys call a move to Louisville a “lateral move at best” today
The “ESPN guys” are not who I’d look to for expert opinions. On this particular date in history, Purdue has a better football program than Louisville. Over the long haul, however (15-20 years) Louisville is a slightly better program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT