ADVERTISEMENT

The Alley News in the Ville

PHCARD

Apr 6, 2007
For those fans from outside Louisville who may have missed VT big announcement this week. GoCards!

FB: The Alley is an improvement coming to Cardinal Stadium this season

Football July 27, 2021 Rocco Gasparro

The Alley by Buffalo Construction, Inc. Highlights Enhancements Slated for Cardinal Stadium in 2021​

Story Links​

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The University of Louisville continues to invest in new fan experience opportunities with the construction of The Alley by Buffalo Construction, Inc., a new tailgate destination for UofL football fans.

Thanks to a multi-year contribution commitment of construction and construction management services valued at $850,000 from Buffalo Construction, Inc., The Alley, will open this football season. Located on South Floyd Street directly across from the entrance into Cardinal Stadium, The Alley will provide a unique game day destination for fans looking for a fun location to congregate with family and friends prior to kickoff.

"We're honored to partner with the Cardinal Athletic Fund to offer a unique tailgate and sports viewing experience for our Cardinal Fans and community," Brett Norton, Vice President, Operations for Buffalo Construction, Inc. said.

The Alley, which is scheduled to open for the Sept. 11 home opener versus Eastern Kentucky, sits on approximately one acre on the corner of Boxley and South Floyd. The property will feature an expansive courtyard with the ability to accommodate a couple thousand fans, turf greens for yard games, live entertainment, numerous drink options and food trucks.

"We are fans too," Director of Athletics Vince Tyra said. "We know that the game day experience goes far beyond the actual game. We want to help create destinations and foster more traditions for our fans. The Alley is just one more example. I'm so thankful to our friends at Buffalo Construction, Inc. are as committed to our success as we are."

Free and open to all fans, The Alley will open four hours prior to kickoff and will close approximately 30 minutes prior to the start of the game encouraging fans to be inside the stadium prior to kickoff.
The facility will be open for one hour after the game as well.

Premium Memberships will also be available that will provide fans access to an indoor, climate-controlled space and features a catered meal and access to premium bar options.

The Alley is also the site of the former tailgating club, Cardinal Alley. Former Cardinal Alley Club members will be offered first access to purchase the VIP Membership pass, but additional fans can be added to the waiting list by contacting Sam Robey in the Cardinal Athletic Fund at SamR@GoCards.com.

Additional improvements coming to Cardinal Stadium this season are as follows:

WIFI
The athletics department will begin a phased approach to enhance WIFI capability to Cardinal Stadium to meet the long-awaited needs for cellular connectivity on game day.

HONORED JERSEYS
A new look to celebrate Honored Jerseys will be a significant improvement to Cardinal Stadium over the season. A 400-foot LED Board will be installed on the East side of the side stadium and will highlight UofL's 23 honorees and its bowl appearances. The department plans to have it fully installed by the Oct. 9 game versus Virginia.

Print Friendly Version

Related Stories and Videos​

TY PH. Interesting news. Hope to get to some games this year and see you again. Cheers!!!

Reactions: PHCARD
Are my eyes tricking me or is the layout of this thing just a bunch of painted shipping containers?
Your eyes aren't tricking you. Got to maintain the rail yard theme we have around the stadium, apparently. Because when you think Louisville Cardinals, you think trains.

So I can tailgate at my own place, eat and drink my own stuff with my friends, or I can walk across the street to "The Alley" and pay $8/beer and $10/burger? I have a difficult time seeing this being a success. I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
So I can tailgate at my own place, eat and drink my own stuff with my friends, or I can walk across the street to "The Alley" and pay $8/beer and $10/burger? I have a difficult time seeing this being a success. I hope I am wrong.

It’s been there for years and they’ve been full up with others wanting in. It will be successful as there are many who don’t want the hassle of setting up a tailgate area. Or for those in a small group. I think it’s a great idea and maybe someday I’ll take advantage of it. But for now I have close to 20 friends and family I tailgate with.
Of course now the area is all dressed up.

Out of towners and casual fans might like it and support it. Especially visiting fans of the opponent. Who knows until it is tried for sure whether it will go or not. $$$ talks and BS walks.

regretfully, since my son was born, we've been homebodies and miss going to games but this is the type of area that would appeal to us as we either see random games or never had a parking pass so we jsut walked in and chugged a beer or two on the way. or if we went w/ another couple still the same thing. but we would have all gone to this area for sure. previously, we used to go to where the guys from BBC would set up and grill so we got food and beer and a place to sit and even better on the grass opposite to tarmac. so for everyone who doesn't have a parking spot, or for people meeting other people, i think it's a great idea and hope it works.

Reactions: CardsFirst
I had heard the property The Alley is on is owned by Tyra. I thought "surely not." Figured since VT isn't very popular, it was just piling on. Piling on can turn to misinformation. But, no. The Alley is home to the former tailgating club, Cardinal Alley, founded by.... Vince Tyra in 2006. I don't know the intricacies of the deal between UofL/Tyra/Buffalo Construction, but, on the surface it seems like a conflict of interest, or maybe a shady attempt at personal gain. Of course, Tyra could have volunteered and/or donated the space. Some disclosure would be cool.

Cardinal Alley

I had heard the property The Alley is on is owned by Tyra. I thought "surely not." Figured since VT isn't very popular, it was just piling on. Piling on can turn to misinformation. But, no. The Alley is home to the former tailgating club, Cardinal Alley, founded by.... Vince Tyra in 2006. I don't know the intricacies of the deal between UofL/Tyra/Buffalo Construction, but, on the surface it seems like a conflict of interest, or maybe a shady attempt at personal gain. Of course, Tyra could have volunteered and/or donated the space. Some disclosure would be cool.

Cardinal Alley
It was leased to VT it’s actually owned by a women. Her named escapes me, Now it’s leased by the University with the ability to buy it first when she wants to sell. So try again. Aren’t you tired of the negative stuff or crap stirring. Vince makes nothing in this deal. Actually gives UofL something unique.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, I kind of enjoyed it until it got 25 deep beer lines too. Really, mostly because my wife liked it :p

Eliminated loading and unloading, and then loading and unloading again, a ton of chit.

Reactions: Mayoman and PHCARD
Surprisingly, I kind of enjoyed it until it got 25 deep beer lines too. Really, mostly because my wife liked it :p

Eliminated loading and unloading, and then loading and unloading again, a ton of chit.
I came by and the guys said you had already stopped by. Sorry I missed you. I’m going to checkout The Alley. I would expect Friday night there, will be crazy from the get go.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
It was leased to VT it’s actually owned by a women. Her named escapes me, Now it’s leased by the University with the ability to buy it first when she wants to sell. So try again. Aren’t you tired of the negative stuff or crap stirring. Vince makes nothing in this deal. Actually gives UofL something unique.
In fairness, Tyra brings it on himself. The term “comedy of errors” comes to mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT