ADVERTISEMENT

The 2021 Schedule as of today

I will miss our game with Louisville this season. I love them win or lose. we had our 13 year slide with Davie, Willingham, and Wise. It took BK 7 seasons to turn ND around. BK showed me Saturday that ND is finally reloading rather than rebuilding every 2 or 3 seasons. Hope you guys all the best. You guys are great fans and deserve a great team too.
Hopefully you guys can join the ACC soon and maybe we’ll see you more often!

I would like that too. Irish fans tend to forget that Rockne pushed hard for ND to join a conference(the Big Ten). The ACC is the perfect fit for ND. We have a football history with many teams in the ACC. ND is similar in size to many in the ACC. Maybe some day.

Notre Dame waaaaaaaaaay back in time signed an exclusive media contract for their Football program that was the ideal of many ADs.
Now they would likely benefit more being a part of the ACC or Big 10....except those conferences are both loaded to almost the point of unwieldly. The SEC is the same....when you have a four / five year player that will be guaranteed to never play some of the teams in half your conference, that's almost like saying those are OOC when they do roll around.

Notre Dame waaaaaaaaaay back in time signed an exclusive media contract for their Football program that was the ideal of many ADs.
Now they would likely benefit more being a part of the ACC or Big 10....except those conferences are both loaded to almost the point of unwieldly. The SEC is the same....when you have a four / five year player that will be guaranteed to never play some of the teams in half your conference, that's almost like saying those are OOC when they do roll around.
The ACC would take ND in a heartbeat and the Big pursued ND for the last 10 years before ND signed with the ACC. How would being a part of a conference be more beneficial for the football program? ND fans and teams have always pursued and celebrated National Championships. It's in our identity and DNA. We don't care about conference titles. I was embarrassed that we sought the ACC title last year. It wasn't fair to the other ACC teams IMHO. I love playing the ACC teams, but I also enjoy playing the national powers from around the country. ND also has a history with many of the ACC teams. ND signed with NBC on August 25, 1991. ABC was very upset that ND at the time, because they had an exclusive contract with the NCAA. Now everybody plays on TV because of what ND did back then. I think the ACC should take advantage of having ND, the partial ACC football member. The ACC was very smart getting ND to agree with playing five football games a season. The Big East should have done it when ND joined the Big East Conference back in 1995.

Last edited:
Reactions: KozmasAgain
It would be interesting to see which conference Notre Dame would settle in to.
I believe the ACC provides ND with the opportunity to maintain their financial security and independence. This would be as opposed to say the BIG which all members get the exact same payouts minus bowl game money beyond what goes back to the conference. I understand this past season the ACC provided ND with very favorable financial terms.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: billoliver40
I believe the ACC provides ND with the opportunity to maintain their financial security and independence. This would be as opposed to say the BIG which all members get the exact same payouts minus bowl game money beyond what goes back to the conference. I understand this past season the ACC provided ND with very favorable financial terms.

GO CARDS!!!
Good point. Thanks for the heads up.

GO CARDS!!!

The league distributed an average of nearly $32.3 million per school among its 14 full-time members.

Notre Dame, a member in all sports but football, has a different distribution and received $10.8 million for the 2019-20 fiscal year.

What ND gets from the ACC is a home for 23 of it's 25 men's and women's sports teams. ND turned down the Big's membership invitation the summer before joining the ACC. ESPN offer nearly doubled the money NBC gave them during the next to last extension negotiation. ND turned them down. The last extension with NBC came without a price increase. It's never been about money.

Last edited:

The league distributed an average of nearly $32.3 million per school among its 14 full-time members.

Notre Dame, a member in all sports but football, has a different distribution and received $10.8 million for the 2019-20 fiscal year.

What ND gets from the ACC is a home for it's 25 men's and women's sports teams. ND turned down the Big's membership invitation the summer before joining the ACC. ESPN nearly doubled the money NBC gave them during the next to last extension negotiation. ND turned them down. The last extension with NBC came without a price increase. It's never been about money.
Good information. Then I have to wonder what the attraction is for the ACC over the BIG? Of course I am assuming that ND simply doesn’t want to be in the B10 but would rather have the ACC as their athletics home. Do you, or anyone else know the reason for that?

GO CARDS!!!

I'm not sure what the Big10 distribution policy is. I dont know if it's an even share for all or a system like Texas where one or two schools get a larger bite.

It's my understanding that the Big disperse money evenly to all member schools. The hard feeling go back to 1925 when ND sought membership into the Big 10. Personally I would rather see ND give up football than play in the Big. I can't stand that darn conference. You ever notice how when the good schools join that conference they begin to struggle in football. I hope I don't get into trouble for posting this article. I got it off Google Search.

Last edited:
in all honesty, during those not that many years ago realignments I always read Notre Dame was THE prize.....from outsiders....that is the talking and writing folk. Geographically a really good fit in the Big10, better than Nebraska I would think. Academically they would of course match up with either the Big10 or ACC. AND both conferences would set up intriguing possibilities.....regular season against tOSU and Michigan possibly. Today a regular season home and home with Clemson would be huge. The issue is POSSIBLY during its heyday the Notre Dame regular season would at times look like todays football playoffs with games against Michigan in the day and USC when they were a powerhouse.

Dunno. IF THEIR were another realignment, either ACC or Big10 would be a good fit.....but unless it were a case where the Irish were replacing a team that left....say Nebraska went Back to the Big12,
there would likely be a disire for ANOTHER team to join whatever conference they went to. As of today, those pickins are getting slim. The ACC is an absolute monster of a conference....and a couple more teams would open the door to a possible need for a north, south and central split. The Big10 and SEC are in the same shape, and I see no way Notre Dame would be interested geographically or academically joining the SEC.

It would be interesting to see though.

A snowball seated on the throne of Satan in Gehenna would have a better chance off survival than ND joining the Big 10 or the SEC Conference. No way on this earth would that happen yesterday, today, or in a hundred years. The ACC or maybe the Big Twelve might lure ND someday. I could see ND moving away from scholarship football before paying players to play. It really could happen someday. The day scholarship players become paid employees of the school ND will probably move to Division III level athletics or intermural athletics period. Father Jenkins and Uncle Jack have publicly talked about that possibility.

A snowball seated on the throne of Satan in Gehenna would have a better chance off survival than ND joining the Big 10 or the SEC Conference. No way on this earth would that happen yesterday, today, or in a hundred years. The ACC or maybe the Big Twelve might lure ND someday. I could see ND moving away from scholarship football before paying players to play. It really could happen someday. The day scholarship players become paid employees of the school ND will probably move to Division III level athletics or intermural athletics period. Father Jenkins and Uncle Jack have publicly talked about that possibility.
I do not believe for one nanosecond that ND would ever “move to Division III level athletics or intramural athletics”. Much of ND’s donor base is consumed with their athletic programs and success. Of course they also have excellent academic programs .

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: fredburgcard
Good information. Then I have to wonder what the attraction is for the ACC over the BIG? Of course I am assuming that ND simply doesn’t want to be in the B10 but would rather have the ACC as their athletics home. Do you, or anyone else know the reason for that?

GO CARDS!!!

Notre Dame is a small private school. Most of the B1G schools are huge land grant schools - none of them except Northwestern look like Notre Dame.

Notre Dame also has a lot of 'Irish Subway Alums' in the northeast and along the coast - where catholics are most common. They're an old Big East school remember.

Notre Dame is a national brand. They recruit nationally. They play USC in southern California. They play in South Bend. The ACC gives them a large footprint in the south. That covers the west, midwest and south. What does the B1G give them? Nothing really.

There's a lot of reasons why the ACC makes more sense, but the biggest might be that Ohio State and Michigan pretty much run the B1G.

You may not wish to think so, BUT ND will never pay it's scholarship athletes. ND supports players getting paid when their images are used but that's another coin in the pot. Division three is the only level that doesn't have scholarship athletes. I've got my fingers cross on that issue.

ND has no reason to change its present status. Their FB Program is beyond "self sufficient" and there is not a P5 school in America that would not accommodate a home & home with the Irish. The existing arrangement with the ACC for basketball and the non-revenue sports is working well for all parties and I see no reason to change.

ND has no reason to change its present status. Their FB Program is beyond "self sufficient" and there is not a P5 school in America that would not accommodate a home & home with the Irish. The existing arrangement with the ACC for basketball and the non-revenue sports is working well for all parties and I see no reason to change.
In addition I’m thinking that the ACC is the only P5 conference that would continue to allow ND a home for all of their sports and independence for football. Plus when you consider Title 9 requirements, the ACC is the perfect home for ND as we know the situation presently. And there is the agreement with ND to schedule, I believe, 5 football games a year versus ACC opponents - I do like that. I have to believe if ND were to ever take their football program to a conference affiliation that the ACC would be the logical destination. I, for one, like the association with ND.

GO CARDS!!!

I like ND in the conference as well I think both parties benefit from the arrangement greatly. I can’t ever see ND going to the Big 12, they would really be alienated in that conference. I don’t know what the true reason is but ND had a falling out with the BIG a while back and there are some real hard feelings.

Like someone else pointed out the ACC covers a large area in the South, Midwest and East Coast. I also think the ACC is the best all sports conference in the country.

Reactions: gocds and Mayoman
in all honesty, during those not that many years ago realignments I always read Notre Dame was THE prize.....from outsiders....that is the talking and writing folk. Geographically a really good fit in the Big10, better than Nebraska I would think. Academically they would of course match up with either the Big10 or ACC. AND both conferences would set up intriguing possibilities.....regular season against tOSU and Michigan possibly. Today a regular season home and home with Clemson would be huge. The issue is POSSIBLY during its heyday the Notre Dame regular season would at times look like todays football playoffs with games against Michigan in the day and USC when they were a powerhouse.

Dunno. IF THEIR were another realignment, either ACC or Big10 would be a good fit.....but unless it were a case where the Irish were replacing a team that left....say Nebraska went Back to the Big12,
there would likely be a disire for ANOTHER team to join whatever conference they went to. As of today, those pickins are getting slim. The ACC is an absolute monster of a conference....and a couple more teams would open the door to a possible need for a north, south and central split. The Big10 and SEC are in the same shape, and I see no way Notre Dame would be interested geographically or academically joining the SEC.

It would be interesting to see though.
Honestly, the Big 12 would be the smartest to go all in on ND....and it would be a smart move for ND. Texas is allowed to do what they want in the Big 12...so ND would retain a lot of freedom. WVU is not too far off and could bridge the distance gap. Not to mention Iowa State, K-State and KU are midwestern teams.

Then you have a conference powered by ND, Texas, and Oklahoma yearly. The bottom tier of the Big 12 has become awful, so they realistically could keep some tougher NC games like Stanford & USC.

Read the article I posted above. Have you ever been betrayed? Michigan came to ND and taught us the game of football. They had a big banquet on Sunday night before the whole school saw Michigan off at the railroad station. They turned on ND because they won a lot of football games. They story is past down from generation to generation. I despise Michigan. I cheer whenever they lose a game. I wish they'd lose every game from now to eternity. I would stop being a ND fan if they ever joined the big whatever conference. OH ND turned down the opportunity to join the Big Twelve then joined the ACC.

Read the article I posted above. Have you ever been betrayed? Michigan came to ND and taught us the game of football. They had a big banquet on Sunday night before the whole school saw Michigan off at the railroad station. They turned on ND because they won a lot of football games. They story is past down from generation to generation. I despise Michigan. I cheer whenever they lose a game. I wish they'd lose every game from now to eternity. I would stop being a ND fan if they ever joined the big whatever conference. OH ND turned down the opportunity to join the Big Twelve then joined the ACC.
Oh I'm saying for now, the ACC is your best option. Considering you need to look at it from money/exposure, the ACC basketball conference is the center of the sport and probably the best right now.

But from a travel perspective, long-term, if you're forced to join a conference then I would bet the Big 12 or Big Ten would be better. I know for the smaller sports, trips to Florida, Georgia, NC, SC, Virginia, New York, and Boston is taxing. And since you don't need to travel places to create a national brand like the old days, although plane travel is much better/cheaper, it would just be better for the athletes to not have to ride/fly on longer trips.

The ACC is the best for ND. The entire eastern seaboard is open to them for everything from recruiting to travel.

GO CARDS!!!

Norte Dame would be totally out of place in the Big 12 and alienated by the rest of the conference. They have no past history with any team in the conference. I know ND recruits nationally but joining the Big 12 wouldn’t do any favors for their recruiting. ND wants to stay east of the Mississippi where there are more viewers. I am glad we are in the ACC for the same reasons.

Norte Dame would be totally out of place in the Big 12 and alienated by the rest of the conference. They have no past history with any team in the conference. I know ND recruits nationally but joining the Big 12 wouldn’t do any favors for their recruiting. ND wants to stay east of the Mississippi where there are more viewers. I am glad we are in the ACC for the same reasons.
If it's history/region, then it's the Big Ten. Michigan and Mich State is their big rival. Indiana & Purdue are in-state rivals. Illinois and Northwestern are in that Chicago market. History with Nebraska. Even the Pac-12 has USC & Stanford, which are two big historic rivals.

ACC is more of a East Coast league. The only real rival with history for them is the Miami game and some other history when FSU was relevant. With FSU being down, they may see the ACC as the easier league they can run through in football. Clemson is their only big time opponent.

Big 12 gives them Texas and Oklahoma as big draws. Kansas, K-State, Ok State, and Iowa State are all mid-western programs in the area. The Big 12 also lets Texas have their own network and power, so they'd have more autonomy in how they can negotiate TV deals.

WVU isn't too far and it would give them a closer opponent. Although I hate WVU, they make way more sense in the ACC. Glad they went Big 12 and we didn't, worked out well for us!

To be honest, if a league let them negotiate their own TV deal where they got the NBC deal, it would still benefit the league. They could get all their home NC games on NBC and then split their conference home games. Then the other 4-5 road games a year would all be for ACC/ESPN, which makes the deal more valuable. Not to mention the conference title game money they'd get.

The B1G are all large state schools except Northwestern. Notre Dame is a smaller private catholic school. They have next to nothing in common with the B1G and it doesn't help their recruiting at all because they already play games in South Bend. On the other hand, the ACC gives them a recruiting footprint in the south - Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia. That and they have an enormous following in the northeast and mid-atlantic.

Last edited:
The decision where ND will be through 2036 has been made. I can give you 50 million reasons why ND is going nowhere. ND has a history with Oklahoma and Texas. It was Texas that tried to get ND to join the Big 12. It was the history that ND had with Georgia Tech, Miami, Florida State, North Carolina, Pitt, and Boston College. ND is a natural fit in the ACC. ND and Clemson had a classic game back in 1979 at ND Stadium. I still like the Louisville rivalry the best in all sports. They seem to bring out the best in both teams across the board.

https://slapthesign.com/2019/06/25/notre-dame-football-irish-record-vs-every-acc-team/

Reactions: gocds
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT