ADVERTISEMENT

Texas now saying Strong will be let go after the season..

nccardfan

Four-Star Poster
Sep 5, 2007
lawrenceburg, KY
Earlier reports indicated that Charlie would not be let go during the season. Worded a little differently now by saying Charlie will be let go after the season. This after Charlie demoted Bedford and taking over the DC responsibilities.

We knew this would be the outcome when he departed for there. I'm more than happy because we ended up with CBP

Who said this? and if someone from the higher-ups at UT said it, how do you keep the team together playing for lame duck coach with 7 games to play? Must be from a press leak or a gut feeling in the media.

I can't ever remember someone of authority saying the coach will be fired after the last game at a big time football school this early in the season.

Yahoo Sports broke the news 5 hours ago but claimed it came from Sports Illustrated. However, that's not exactly what they said and they are just reading into the statement by McCombs that says he is not advocating a firing, but also said "don't tell me you can't fire someone in the middle of the season."

You're right CCS is now a lame duck so they must believe they will get Tom Herman.

Reactions: Louisvillian
I have to think that it's not helping Charlie's cause at Texas that 3 seasons after he left Louisville the Cards are now the talk of college football.

No doubt the miracle of Lamar has a lot to do with that and so does a lot of Strong's recruiting efforts while here but Texas football has become almost invisible. Meanwhile Bobby Petrino looks like the coaching upgrade that we all knew he was. Similar to when BP took the reins from John L.

Lastly, just from watching Texas over the last 2 years I can't help but think that CCS has not recruited very well. Sometimes you have to look at the talent you have before firing staff. Maybe Mr Hurtt was Charlie's best friend. I know I'm thankful for him. Someone closer to situation could shine some light on this.

I have to think that it's not helping Charlie's cause at Texas that 3 seasons after he left Louisville the Cards are now the talk of college football.

No doubt the miracle of Lamar has a lot to do with that and so does a lot of Strong's recruiting efforts while here but Texas football has become almost invisible. Meanwhile Bobby Petrino looks like the coaching upgrade that we all knew he was. Similar to when BP took the reins from John L.

Lastly, just from watching Texas over the last 2 years I can't help but think that CCS has not recruited very well. Sometimes you have to look at the talent you have before firing staff. Maybe Mr Hurtt was Charlie's best friend. I know I'm thankful for him. Someone closer to situation could shine some light on this.
what if Louisville has surpassed Texas as being a better program?

Reactions: GoldCard
what if Louisville has surpassed Texas as being a better program?
I don't think there's any doubt that Louisville has but there's always that question of how people define "football program".

Since Vince Young left UT, they have been the definition of mediocre but they have incredible tradition and a huge fanbase that makes you think they will be good again sooner than later .
You could probably compare their decline to the same one Alabama had during the Mike Dubose/ Mike Shula eras and even the Mike Price days. It just took the right hire (Saban) to get back.

We are building our own tradition here and it's a beautiful thing to watch. It's what I have been dreaming about ever since we beat Arizona St and Texas at old Cardinal Stadium in 1993. Until then I never thought it was possible. Not as a kid in the mid 70s going to games with tickets I got for free at Convenient Food Mart.

Reactions: beasleythecard
There are 10-20 programs that want to be where Alabama is right now. Some of them have actually had it in somewhat recent memory. USC, Florida and Ohio State come immediately to mind. But there's only one Nick Saban. And there are only ever a handful of coaches at that level, not even close to enough to go around.

If you coach at one of these programs and you're not at Saban's level, you're only going to get a chance for a few years before the University decides to move on and try to find the next Saban since it's obviously not you. These programs aren't trying to go to a bowl, they're trying to start their next dynasty.

I think that's the boat Charlie's in right now. He's not a Saban so he's on borrowed time.

Reactions: beasleythecard
I agree. If your name is not Nick Saban, you are one or two disappointing seasons away from being shown the door. It will be interesting if Charlie can get 8 or more wins. He's probably gone with anything less.

You mean like that time Colt McCoy took them to the BCS title game?
True enough but are you really picking out a brief respite from what was inevitably happening at UT to make a dork point? The Bama comparison is also relevant.

Good response but you got the gist, you just wanted to be a d!ckhade. Cool.

Last edited:
Texas is a power. They've struggled by their standards the last five years or so, maybe one ranked team at season's end during that span.

They weren't average during the McCoy era but they sure as $*@&%@ are now.

Was a bad fit for Strong from day one. This isn't the "I'm not cut like that" anger... Texas just wasn't the right region, and it looks more and more like Bridgewater and a soft schedule with a great roster masked a lot of his subtle coaching deficiencies that are being exposed on a bigger stage now.

I see him returning as a DC in the SEC - and whoever lands him, will be lucky to get him.

Wow dude. Someone made a point that contradicted yours. Don't take it so personally. Your post makes him look good by comparison, which seems to be important to you.

True enough but are you really picking out a brief respite from what was inevitably happening at UT to make a dork point? The Bama comparison is also relevant.

Earlier reports indicated that Charlie would not be let go during the season. Worded a little differently now by saying Charlie will be let go after the season. This after Charlie demoted Bedford and taking over the DC responsibilities.

Charlie burning bridges. He's not going to have very many friends when all this is said and done.

IMHO, CCS should rely on his strengths, which is defense. I just don't think he is a head coach at least not at a P5 school. As a HC you always have the authority to override your coordinators but I don't think CCS has the offensive mindset to do that so he has to rely on his OC. If he has a good one he'll be successful and vice versa. He assumed his defense was in good hands with Beford and didn't pay enough attention to what was happening in the secondary. Again another sign of too much for CCS to handle. I hate to use this term but I think he could become a HC again at a mid major and hopefully he feels that's not beneath him, otherwise I see him as a DC somewhere.

This is the circus that is Texas football. Basically, this is being put forward by influential boosters who are panicking that they may be losing their opportunity to hire Tom Herman because the Texas AD hasn't fired Charlie four games into the season.

Thankfully, we have an athletic department that is run by the AD.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood

It wasn't a "brief respite." Colt McCoy was 45-8 from 2006-2009. Texas went:
2006 - 10-3
2007 - 10-3
2008 - 12-1 (Won Fiesta Bowl)
2009 - 13-1 (Won Big 12, went to BCS title game)

Nothing "brief" or "inevitable" about that.

The Louisville stepping stone curse is alive and well. We are the Fatal Attraction of the coaching pyramid. No one ever leaves us and exceeds us. Just like others before him, CCS failed to get that the collision course is a fact and it will be done. Louisville first, Cards forever. ;);););););)

It wasn't a "brief respite." Colt McCoy was 45-8 from 2006-2009. Texas went:
2006 - 10-3
2007 - 10-3
2008 - 12-1 (Won Fiesta Bowl)
2009 - 13-1 (Won Big 12, went to BCS title game)

Nothing "brief" or "inevitable" about that.
You are correct. I had forgotten the success UT had under McCoy. My memory was one of Mack Brown's last good days were with VY at QB. It was after Colt McCoy's departure that they dissolved into mediocrity. Seems like it has been longer.

Now Charlie Strong and John L. Smith both know there places on the football food chain! Oh, I'm crying Crocodile Tears right now!

crocodile_tears_by_pixypen-d8tu7c0.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT