ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M

Humphrey is getting a lot of work in the field tonight. This guy is going to be a star next two years. Beard and Knap, too.

Reactions: nccardfan
Rush needs to cool it a little. It was pretty clear what he said after striking out looking. A UT player got tossed during their game today for giving the ump lip.

Reactions: nccardfan
Ben…killing us right now. He really needs a base hit and soon.

Scouting report on our pitching is outstanding. Nice K. But, clearly, the strategy is making Cards pitch strikes.

Mac over coaching maybe a little. Cam is out of the game for a failed pinch run. Ok. Let’s go.

Louisville pitchers walked 10 batters and hit four more. That’s the story of the game right there. Gave them far too many base runners. Allowed them to load the bases 5 times. On to game two.

A&M is a very tough place to play; not just a good Aggies ball club ….. the hot humid temperature and fan support make for a rather challenging environment.

Ben Bianco is really hurting this team offensively with these strikeouts. Any contact whatsoever would have likely resulted in a run in his last at bat. The opponents know his propensity for chasing low pitches out of the strike zone, as he continues to swing at them.

A&M is a very tough place to play; not just a good Aggies ball club ….. the hot humid temperature and fan support make for a rather challenging environment.

Ben Bianco is really hurting this team offensively with these strikeouts. Any contact whatsoever would have likely resulted in a run in his last at bat. The opponents know his propensity for chasing low pitches out of the strike zone, as he continues to swing at them.
Agreed. He has been struggling. He hit the ball very well in the ACCT and since then hasn’t done much at all.

No doubt he’s struggling but hard to lay blame on one person. Would someone else catch the errant throw by Knap and still be able to tag the runner?

Need to pound the zone with 1st pitch strikes. A&M take % is huge. Win at 0-1. Lose at 1-0.

Expect Big Red on the bump and hope he can reproduce effort from last weekend.

What hurt our team offensively was Knap 0-5, although I think he did have 1 hit but was scored an error. He stranded 5 runners on base. Also Usher 0-4 with 4 runners stranded on base. That’s 9 runners between the two. Bianco at least had a sac fly.

Not bagging just on Ben. The lack of production from Knap and Usher wan’t overlooked by me. Fact is - our guys need to hit and capitalize whenever available. Get ahead and that certainly makes it easier for the pitcher. Poland wasn’t horrible last night but he wasn’t his best either. His 100+ performance was valiant and his team should have scored more runs.

Reactions: nccardfan and Deeva
Both of these teams are so well matched that this game is a grind. One hit or one error could determine the outcome of the game.

Reactions: Deeva
That’s twice now the pinch run has blown up in Mac’s face. And Cam is out of the game again. Grr.

Very ironic. I credit Mac for his best coaching job ever this season, but he overthought and micromanaged this series. I fully blame him. It’s not like A&M is some vastly superior team. They aren’t. Mac simply made poor decisions. But, on the flip side, he got way more out of this team than anyone expected. Started the season unranked, picked to finish 4th in the Atlantic, an unsettled pitching staff, no sure fire future MLB players, yet, he took them to the Super Regionals. Outstanding job. He just kind of choked, honestly.

Next year looks promising.

Go Cards! Heck of a year.

Masterman not being moved up in the order in my opinion is the sole reason the Cards lost this game today. Before the game started I told my friends watching the game with me that if Usher is still batting ahead of Masterman it could cost the Cards runs and boy did it ever.

Masterman is red hot and everyone knows it but yet he was still batting in the six hole and just like I envisioned it, it cost the Cards the game.

Masterman didn't come up with two runners on, he didn't come up with the bases loaded. Instead he led off on each of his plate appearances. The best he could have done was hit a solo home run.

Instead of our hottest hitter at the plate with the bases loaded, it was the #5 hitter, Levi Usher who tried to bunt. I absolutely lost my mind, not mostly because of the bunt attempt because Usher is very fast but because Masterman was on deck. Cam would not have bunted.

These two games on the road had that all too familiar meant to lose feeling. We hit at least 5 balls to the warning track and all the little things were going A&M's way. Add to it that our hottest hitter never got the chance to hit with ducks on the pond because he was batting 6th. It just perfectly worked out that way for A&M.

For me, had Masterman been hitting 4th, right behind Rushing, we would have scored more than 3 runs today and more than 4 yesterday.

So now I'm done venting another weird lost for UofL sports and the usual suspects will respond saying how dare I question our coach and he knows more about baseball than me. I agree that he does but there's no good explanation for why he kept Masterman at #6 in the order. Remember, he was batting 3rd all season until his slump. He wasn't slumping anymore.

Adios fellow Cards fans. I will retire my opinions and frustrations until football season where there's the possibility for more of that if Satterfield continues to call the plays on offense. I know, something my haters look forward to I'm sure.

Card fans...UK guy coming over in peace. Your baseball program is great. I’ve coached over 20 years of youth and HS baseball and your program is exactly how a program should be built. I’ve watched all of the Cards post-season games, and this team will be back amd a national contender next year. I have to admit I am very envious and hope KY figures it out one day. UL has been a big part of the rise of college baseball.

Very ironic. I credit Mac for his best coaching job ever this season, but he overthought and micromanaged this series. I fully blame him. It’s not like A&M is some vastly superior team. They aren’t. Mac simply made poor decisions. But, on the flip side, he got way more out of this team than anyone expected. Started the season unranked, picked to finish 4th in the Atlantic, an unsettled pitching staff, no sure fire future MLB players, yet, he took them to the Super Regionals. Outstanding job. He just kind of choked, honestly.

Next year looks promising.

Go Cards! Heck of a year.
X2. Well said, CardX!

Just my humble opinion, but CDM just can’t seem to resist the overly aggressive base running plays that very often give away outs.

It was nice to see during this year that he actually ran into outs less with this team than any other I can remember. I think he realized that this team hit the ball so well that he didn’t need to resort to aggressive base running to manufacture some offense.

For some reason, he reverted back to his former overly aggressive self for these two games.

Reactions: Guardman
You don’t change who you are. He has always been very aggressive.

This whole series boils down to not getting guys in from 3rd with less than 2 outs and not getting a big hit with 2 outs.

I really don’t know what moves he could of made that solved that problem. It really is up to players to make plays.

Next years team is going to much different offensively. Pitching will be interesting.

No Coach can compensate for ineffective hitting. Think about this for a moment, how can anyone blame the coach when he had the lead-off hitter on base and the go ahead run at the plate with nobody out in the bottom half of the 9th inning. You could not have asked for a better situation, knowing that Rushing, Metzinger and Peyton have a chance to at least tie the game, if not execute a walk-off to win it.

Sorry guys, CDM did not lose this series …… our kids simply failed to produce period.

Plenty of blame and responsibility to be shared all around. Coaching, Untimely Hitting, Inappropriate Bunting, Questionable Baserunning, Batting Order, Pitchers Can't Find the Plate.

But the Heat and Aggie fans! And some very weird ball/strike calls.

We got more than we expected this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT