ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Stoops to Texas A&M?

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
Per multiple Twitter sources, Stoops will be Texas A&M‘s next coach. And on a related note…Louisville opens at Texas A&M in 2028. Texas A&M opens in Louisville in 2029.

UK should be able to get a pretty impressive replacement. They’ll have a ton of buyout money from A&M. We’d better hope they don’t land an up and coming star

Lots of talk. Could be, but now that Ohio State is out of the title pic, Texas eyes may be looking in Ohio.

Kentucky just cannot match the dollars aTm can bring. If the man goes, more power to him.

They won’t find a guy that could replicate what he could do. The guy could make their team above average consistently and find NFL level talents that could win them a few extra games.

The Stoops family knows football. They knew who to hire as assistants. They could find good talent. Now he made terrible in game decisions and he had a hard ceiling, but they won’t find a guy like that. Their recruiting will fall off with Marrow going with him.

And? Marrow and Brohm are friends. Maybe he comes here and we add that Ohio pipeline.

Supposedly the University was ready to hire Stoops, but the money people said no. So, he`ll likely remain in Lexington. At A&M money does the talking.

Reactions: Bterhune
Not sure how this got leaked and it isn’t a done deal. Not a good look for Texas A&M. The AD may not survive it if he was his choice and was turned down by boosters.

That is a truthful statement. I think he wants out. I think he knows he has reached his limit at UK. Georgia is the Death Star. The SEC is only getting tougher. Texas A&M has all the resources he would need.

Someone leaked the information or misinformation. You don’t get that kind of reporting normally and it be wrong. He was leaving and Texas AM pulled the plug is my guess.

That is a truthful statement. I think he wants out. I think he knows he has reached his limit at UK. Georgia is the Death Star. The SEC is only getting tougher. Texas A&M has all the resources he would need.

Someone leaked the information or misinformation. You don’t get that kind of reporting normally and it be wrong. He was leaving and Texas AM pulled the plug is my guess.
It appears that they were very close to an agreement. This leaked to A&M media and the fans threw a tantrum.

At a place like Texas A&M why do they care about the fans reaction? They are going to support the program no matter what. Hire the best coach and move on.

Fans are incredibly lazy when it comes to coaching searches. They lose their mind on Stoops but seem OK to go with Elko. What world are they living in? You can’t be OK with Elko and lose your mind with Stoops. Stoops built UK Elko has barely started at Duke. To me Stoops is a less risky hire than Elko. Now if they end up with Dino or Day or someone at that level I get the angst but you have to assume they already kicked those tires.

You guys are funny. Talking shit about Stoops like he hasn't owned our ass the last 5 years and stomped a mud hole in our ass 3 of those years He came in here and beat us yesterday when we're ranked 10th in the country with a 10-1 record with a lot to play for and they were struggling along at 6-5.. There's not going to be many seasons with that much disparity between us and them. What makes you think we're just magically going to start owning them ??

At a place like Texas A&M why do they care about the fans reaction? They are going to support the program no matter what. Hire the best coach and move on.

Fans are incredibly lazy when it comes to coaching searches. They lose their mind on Stoops but seem OK to go with Elko. What world are they living in? You can’t be OK with Elko and lose your mind with Stoops. Stoops built UK Elko has barely started at Duke. To me Stoops is a less risky hire than Elko. Now if they end up with Dino or Day or someone at that level I get the angst but you have to assume they already kicked those tires.
Elko was the successful DC at aTm.

Reactions: TPACardsFan
You guys are funny. Talking shit about Stoops like he hasn't owned our ass the last 5 years and stomped a mud hole in our ass 3 of those years He came in here and beat us yesterday when we're ranked 10th in the country with a 10-1 record with a lot to play for and they were struggling along at 6-5.. There's not going to be many seasons with that much disparity between us and them. What makes you think we're just magically going to start owning them ??
I for one, don’t think that we are going to start owning them but, I do feel that Brohm’s abilities swings the pendulum back in our favor.

Say what you will about Stupes - he’s a dirty, whiny coach who doesn’t let being fat and bald stop him from chasing coeds - but, he’s has built a solid base at uk - in no small part to running roughshod over UofL. Playing in the $ec - regardless of what their record is -gives them the confidence that they are stepping down in class when they play UofL and that confidence has translated in wins.

I believe Brohm’s presence changes that narrative.

What are taking who is talking shit about Stoops. I think he would do very well at Texas A&M. I don’t think Louisville or KY will own the rivalry moving forward. I expect games like yesterday not much separation. Both coaches can coach. It is about assembling enough talent at this point.

Reactions: HiStepper
Elko was the successful DC at aTm.
I know but isn’t that lazy? UK is very similar to Duke football wise relative to their conference. Middle of road. Stoops gets the SEC. I think the AD was right offering Stoops if Elko ends up being the guy. I think Elko will be good too but to me it is a more risky hire.

I know but isn’t that lazy? UK is very similar to Duke football wise relative to their conference. Middle of road. Stoops gets the SEC. I think the AD was right offering Stoops if Elko ends up being the guy. I think Elko will be good too but to me it is a more risky hire.
First of all - I don’t believe for a second that stupes was an actual candidate at aTm. This whirlwind story and the subsequent statement from stupes professing his love for uk was an attempt to get back into good graces with their fans after some of the really pointedly stupid things he has said of late.

His agent jimmy sexton also knew that it has the added benefit of potentially squeezing some extra money out of Brainfart - who has to be the most gullible AD in the country.

The aTm fans who fell for it as a real story revolted and I’m sure the ones who didn’t - laughed their asses off.

What are taking who is talking shit about Stoops. I think he would do very well at Texas A&M. I don’t think Louisville or KY will own the rivalry moving forward. I expect games like yesterday not much separation. Both coaches can coach. It is about assembling enough talent at this point.
Stupes $ec record is 35-55. And that has been playing in an East division that has been historically down during his tenure. I hope that we can agree - that 20 games under .500 is no one’s idea of doing well.

If he couldn’t get it done in the weaker of the two divisions - why in the world do you think he would do “very well” in the $ec west?

He’d be gone faster than Strong was at Texas.

Keep in mind I am comparing him to Elko. There is nothing to say he would kill it at A&M either based of his 2 years at Duke.
I don’t think either kill it at A&M.

I hope Stoops stays at UK. He is average at best with a 2-26 SEC record vs. 0.500 teams. Jeff will take care of them more years than not. Meanwhile we're likely Orange Bowl bound baby!

I hope Stoops stays at UK. He is average at best with a 2-26 SEC record vs. 0.500 teams. Jeff will take care of them more years than not. Meanwhile we're likely Orange Bowl bound baby!
I don't care what his record is against anybody but us and yesterday makes 5 wins in a row... Stoops emphasizes beating us and makes it a priority. He understands as long as he keeps beating us he will always have a job.

Stupes is a clown coach who proves every day that there is a God. I would have loved to be in a roomful of aTm fans when rumors of this hire surfaced.

And the little guy has 60 million reasons NOT to be in any hurry to get out of Lexington. His nest is feathered for life making gazilions working for a school that doesn't give a damn about football except for one game each year.
Stupes $ec record is 35-55...
...which tells you all you need to know.

Last edited:
I don't care what his record is against anybody but us and yesterday makes 5 wins in a row... Stoops emphasizes beating us and makes it a priority. He understands as long as he keeps beating us he will always have a job.
That's you. That's not the rest of the world.

The wins you mention are also while this administration has mismanaged the football program. Brohm's addressing that...

Quit "pretending" using the word "us" you blue belly! You guys are happy at 2-26 vs. 0.500 SEC teams and your Poulan Weedeater bowls!

Reactions: RealStateBird
Porky owes us some money. He and his jubilant team trashed the visitor’s locker room before they rolled out of town.

Multiple outlets reporting that Elko is going be the next aTm coach. Makes the ACC easier but, it’s not helpful from a perception standpoint.

Multiple outlets reporting that Elko is going be the next aTm coach. Makes the ACC easier but, it’s not helpful from a perception standpoint.

Sounds like Elko was a big part of holding A&M together while he was there and people were concerned what would happen when he left. Stoops was offered and accepted even told people it was happening. Then the board got involved and killed it. Maybe getting a discount with Elko as well not that money matters at A&M.

TX A&M football will never quite be the same; as many thought one of the biggest motivations for leaving the B12 was getting out of the shadow of Texas; how is that working out now?

The SEC will make a lot of money with these inter-conference games, but it’s going to result in a lot of the top programs beating each other out of a shot at the BCS.

TX A&M football will never quite be the same; as many thought one of the biggest motivations for leaving the B12 was getting out of the shadow of Texas; how is that working out now?

The SEC will make a lot of money with these inter-conference games, but it’s going to result in a lot of the top programs beating
each other out of a shot at the BCS.
Parity is coming it is just a matter of when. It is why Stoops wants out of KY. The addition of Texas and Oklahoma are very problematic for UK, Arkansas, Missouri. A 9 game SEC schedule have fun with that.

Players acquisition/evaluation has never been more important. Can’t miss at QB and along the lines. There will be years where the portal is weak with positions. You may lose lineman in weak years because their value is at a premium.

Coaching carousel will be more fluid than ever. Buyouts are no longer an issue in SEC and Big Ten. Coaching stability is extremely important. Firing OC and DC will be crazy.

I still think the half the SEC teams are going to regret expansion. Not the administrators the coaches and AD’s.

aTm makes odd decisions. I'm not sure the Stoops thing had as much legs as everyone read, it smacks of Sexton as much as anything. Elko may do well, but hiring a former DC when you cry about your offense is....odd.

I can think of NO other AD that would show as much patience as Barnhart has at UK....and as thin skinned as he is, Stoops would be in a meat grinder with the Aggies. The Indiana slot would likely be ideal for him.

I expect either the end of this year or the next South Carolina and Florida are open. One is enticing to on fire coaches, the other not so much.

Stoops has done fine job building a program, but I agree he has hit a hard ceiling and the addition of two powerhouse programs will be a wake up
To the middle of the pack teams.

Whether we like it or not, the state of Kentucky does not produce tons of P5 level football players, and the very best get calls from the Bamas and Ohio States, along with Purdue and Notre Dame. Brohms offense will certainly pull some gifted guys in.

Kentucky also dug a hole with hesitancy on NIL. Begging for money for better players was idiocy, while likely true. It certainly would remind your players they aren't considered top notch.

I'm not sure this is over. I don't know what is weighing on coach Stoops, but it was obvious this year he was ready to move on.

That could still happen.

I don’t count Petrino’s last years and definitely not Satterfield years at all. Stoops got lucky winning Saturday as Louisville gave the game away. It happens. Stoops sucks UK fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT