ADVERTISEMENT

Talent Evaluation Question

racehorseowner

New Poster, Show Me Love
Mar 23, 2015
How much talent is on the current squad? Was the bad record in 2018 the result more of lack of good players or bad coaching. What do you think?

According to coach Dennison, there’s too much talent for them to be as bad as they were. Most coaches wouldn’t say that unless it’s true because of false expectations.

I think the talent was mediocre in the wrong spots. You can't be lacking in talent in both the OL and DL and we were. We were good in a few other spots last year, but it all starts up front.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Very young team in 2018, poor veteran player and coaching leadership, meant that when they lost that brutally tough game in the last minute against FSU (partly because of a poor coaching choice by Petrino to have Jawon pass the ball when we should have run it) the team just imploded.

All that youth returns, so we should be better if we find some leaders.

I think Dennison is correct and I’m sure the previous coaching staff over recruited several spots primarily receivers. But it’s not as dire as some make it out to be. I think the bigger issue was coaching and specifically culture. For whatever reason Bobby lost the team and I think that was pretty clear when Satterfield started holding players responsible for their actions. I think will see a significant change from last year.

Reactions: Jesse82
How much talent is on the current squad? Was the bad record in 2018 the result more of lack of good players or bad coaching. What do you think?

We were one of the most talented teams out there in 2018. We had athletes running all of they place and clearly out matched several opponents. We just had some misfortune and a coach that kind of retired at the helm.

2019 is the year of the card and we are back, bro. Could easily see 10 wins and the Cup coming home

Hard to evaluate talent when the team as a whole was dreadful. The FSU game was the turning point. They controlled that entire game and was very close to blowing them out, unfortunately Pass missed multiple opportunities. Then the bad call and throw, the team was never the same. The defense was especially young when things went bad they flat quit. In some games that was right out of the gate and in other it was in the 3rd.

We will know right out of the gate if the culture has really changed. Give up 50 again then I think it would be reasonable to question the talent level. At this point who knows.

We were one of the most talented teams out there in 2018. We had athletes running all of they place and clearly out matched several opponents. We just had some misfortune and a coach that kind of retired at the helm.

2019 is the year of the card and we are back, bro. Could easily see 10 wins and the Cup coming home
What team were you watching?

I think Villebandt is being sarcastic. However, while 10 wins isn’t easily attainable, I’d say 10 games on the schedule are “winnable” if this staff is as great as they appear to be. Unfortunately, 8 of those are “loseable,” even with complete buy-in and superb coaching.

We do have talent on the roster. Last year we saw some guys with undeniable speed and athleticism, but the plays weren’t made. Receivers got open but didn’t make the catch, or the ball didn’t get to them. DBs and LBs showed closing speed but were often out of position. RBs showed speed and elusiveness but often didn’t get the blocking or made the wrong read, often times both.

If the big guys on the lines put in the S&C work this offseason the difference will be night and day. We the fans should have optimism and go ahead and expect a 7+ win season. If we don’t get it, as long as the team is competitive, we can still have excitement going into the following season. But I guarantee you, the staff isn’t telling these graf transfers to come on over so we can go 4-8.

What team were you watching?
I was watching my Louisville Cardinals, bro. What time were you watching?

We were a handful of plays from a good season. Sometimes bad things happen and it compounds, no biggie, we’ll forget it when we beat the Irish Labor Day weekend

I think Villebandt is being sarcastic. However, while 10 wins isn’t easily attainable, I’d say 10 games on the schedule are “winnable” if this staff is as great as they appear to be. Unfortunately, 8 of those are “loseable,” even with complete buy-in and superb coaching.

We do have talent on the roster. Last year we saw some guys with undeniable speed and athleticism, but the plays weren’t made. Receivers got open but didn’t make the catch, or the ball didn’t get to them. DBs and LBs showed closing speed but were often out of position. RBs showed speed and elusiveness but often didn’t get the blocking or made the wrong read, often times both.

If the big guys on the lines put in the S&C work this offseason the difference will be night and day. We the fans should have optimism and go ahead and expect a 7+ win season. If we don’t get it, as long as the team is competitive, we can still have excitement going into the following season. But I guarantee you, the staff isn’t telling these graf transfers to come on over so we can go 4-8.

I legit feel that we had athletes. Lot of guys that can run but didn’t seem to develop like they should. Imagine if Malik was accurate with his throws? That dude can fly. The lack of physicality on the lines was also concerning and our biggest problem until the towels were thrown in.

Legit believe that Scott will have these guys coached up and believing. Don’t think we’ll be knocking off clemson or anything stupid like that but teams won’t be able to sleepwalk against us next season.

Returning 57 letterwinners, including 19 starters (7 offense, 10 defense and 2 special teamers) is very significant. And as a result, the upcoming season could go either way ... we could be significantly improved due to all of that returning experience, or we could be a bad team that struggles in the inevitable moments of adversity because the previous experiences of 2018 were so negative.

If ever a team needed the support of its fans, it’s this one!

pass threw 12 int’s and 8 TDS. That’s horrible. We were young and weak on the OL and DL. Pretty much 3 most important positions is where they sucked. QB,OL and DL. If Conley pans out and our Defense improves I think we win 6 games. Our talent is better than teams winning 5-6 games. That’s all they gotta do, win 5 or 6, show improvement, show the direction the programs going. Bar was set so low it can only go up. Then WATCH OUT. because they will kill it on the recruiting trail in 2020. But we really need a QB. That’s why you don’t see good teams with bad QB’s. Hard to do

It’s s tough question because the whole season was just so bizarre. If the culture really does change and guys remember how to battle for 4 quarters, this team could be anywhere from 4 to 9 wins. They were impossible to evaluate last year due to widespread quitting and overall poor technique and decision making. Most missing was leadership and toughness. Talent? Who knows? If the most talented guy in the world quits, he looks like a pretty poor player. But if you learn how to quit, it’s hard to unlearn. We’ll see.

No talent at QB IMO. That is unless the new guy turns out to be Baker Mayfield. I have zero confidence in the QB position. Malik has limited arm strength and is not capable of stretching the field. Jawon doesn’t seem to enjoy running the ball and taking hits, I question his football IQ and also his ability to go through his progressions.

I remember reading some comments by the new staff about a lot of players in the wrong positions. I could see 6 or 7 wins and a bowl this season if the new staff gets it sorted out.

No talent at QB IMO. That is unless the new guy turns out to be Baker Mayfield. I have zero confidence in the QB position. Malik has limited arm strength and is not capable of stretching the field. Jawon doesn’t seem to enjoy running the ball and taking hits, I question his football IQ and also his ability to go through his progressions.

There is no way you can know this by last years performance considering the poor coaching and preparation. You might be correct, but that means some pretty good universities really did a poor job of evaluating talent. Especially when you consider they missed on two 4*. I’ll wait and see what Satterfield’s coaches do.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I recall we were excited and looking forward to Puma taking over after what he’d showed in limited duty with BP coaching two years ago.

He, of all people, may reveal the most about “what happened?” last year IF he comes back and lives up to his 4’star rating.

Reactions: CardsFirst
There is no way you can know this by last years performance considering the poor coaching and preparation. You might be correct, but that means some pretty good universities really did a poor job of evaluating talent. Especially when you consider they missed on two 4*. I’ll wait and see what Satterfield’s coaches do.
BS. I saw Malik play. No arm strength whatsoever.

BS. I saw Malik play. No arm strength whatsoever.

You saw a missed managed player behind a poor line. I’ll wait and see what Satterfield does with him. You might be right but I’ll wait to see how they do with coaching.

If they don’t get a QB, say Hello 3 win season. Just Facts. We had the worst in the country last yr and seeing Puma throwing Picks at the spring scrimmage shows me nothing’s chsnged.

If they don’t get a QB, say Hello 3 win season. Just Facts. We had the worst in the country last yr and seeing Puma throwing Picks at the spring scrimmage shows me nothing’s chsnged.

I believe our biggest loss was Evan Mc Cormack to the transfer portal. We didn't see much of him, until late in the season. His size and arm strength was perfect for the position. imho, I feel that he could have been our future at the QB position. Sad that our new coaches weren't given the opportunity to speak to him before the transfer was done. :(

I agree. I thought he threw a better ball than any of the scholarship players. Puma just isn’t it, not only physically, mentally he just isn’t the leader that you want out of your QB. Doesn’t handle pressure well, makes bad decisions. I saw WAY to many passes getting thrown into double coverage. Just can’t happen. I think people see the 4star recruit, he’s got 4star talent but mainly that was a high ranking because of his size. He obviously never took the steps needed to be a good QB and it showed. I just hate that IMO the whole season depends on who the QB is. It’s by far the most important position. I’m sure the staff feels the same way. Hopefully they snag a QB after spring.

I believe our biggest loss was Evan Mc Cormack to the transfer portal. We didn't see much of him, until late in the season. His size and arm strength was perfect for the position. imho, I feel that he could have been our future at the QB position. Sad that our new coaches weren't given the opportunity to speak to him before the transfer was done. :(
Disagree. Would have like to see him stay but he was not the answer. I’ll agree with another poster, seeing Pass throw a pick 6 in the scrimmage made me want to puke. I hope the new kid starts, sight unseen. The other two showed me enough last year - I just don’t think they’ve got what it takes for this level.

From what I gathered about Conley was that during the scrimmage he looked like a HS QB that they threw in the scrimmage, which to be fair is exactly what he is. He threw a pick on one of his first passes. But what I heard from a source who knows football is that he’s gonna need a yr or so. Basically it’s 1-Puma 2-Malik 3-Conley. Actually I heard that Conley would probably do best to Redshirt this yr if they got another GT. But for all those hoping he was the answer it doesn’t look like he is. He’s got the arm but might need a yr or so. Which really you would expect a freshman to struggle with routes and college defenses and speed. Not knocking Conley at all he’s 17-18 yrs old.

Bro, Scott’s only been here for a cup of coffee and that shit ain’t changing in a day.

Attitude alone gets us to five wins, including ND and UKaaay. If development is ahead of schedule, who knows what could happen. Not worried about what’s happening in the spring, we’ll be fine.

Well Rat spit.

Guess i won't buy tickets this year.

And if we don't get a QB, I'll bet you $100 today that we win more than three games.

Y or N?

Well Rat spit.

Guess i won't buy tickets this year.

And if we don't get a QB, I'll bet you $100 today that we win more than three games.

Y or N?
I’m not gonna bet that if we win 2 games against P5 teams. But yes I will gladly bet you that we don’t win 5 games without getting a QB. I think people forget how much offense can even affect the defensive mentality. Keep getting stops just to throw picks, and so on. But l will bet we don’t win more than 4 games without a QB. If we win 6 it will be the best 100 ever spent.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I’m not gonna bet that if we win 2 games against P5 teams. But yes I will gladly bet you that we don’t win 5 games without getting a QB. I think people forget how much offense can even affect the defensive mentality. Keep getting stops just to throw picks, and so on. But l will bet we don’t win more than 4 games without a QB. If we win 6 it will be the best 100 ever spent.
Let’s see if we pick one up.

We should know pretty soon I’d think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT