ADVERTISEMENT

Springboard to next season: Where do we rank?

Petjurino

500+
Feb 3, 2014
Great win last night and a great performance by Lamar. He certainly put himself on the map last night. Legit Heisman contender for next year for sure.

So after beating one of the top teams of the supposed dominate $EC West, where does everyone think this puts us in ranking going into next year? I think top 10 and I would venture a guess around 9. Some may depend on who we lose. Maybe Fields but I think most everyone else is back. This team is going to be a force to reckoned with next year.

I would guess around #20 in the Preseason. You guys have almost everybody back to go along with a very good 2016 recruiting class. Starting around #20 gives you a great chance to move up by winning games.

I would guess around #20 in the Preseason. You guys have almost everybody back to go along with a very good 2016 recruiting class. Starting around #20 gives you a great chance to move up by winning games.
That sounds pretty fair but I just think with the big win from last night coupled with the Lamar Jackson coming out party, I think it will sway voters to think more highly on us. Lamar put up 500 yards of offense by himself on a top flight team. That will leave an impression on voters. I can't see us starting below 12 but I still think 9 is probably the number.

Gotta go with the #20 give or take range. The voters and pollsters will never give the Cards any credence early in the season.

Reactions: pervisl
That sounds pretty fair but I just think with the big win from last night coupled with the Lamar Jackson coming out party, I think it will sway voters to think more highly on us. Lamar put up 500 yards of offense by himself on a top flight team. That will leave an impression on voters. I can't see us starting below 12 but I still think 9 is probably the number.
Talent wise I think you guys are Top 10. But most voters are pretty cautious with teams in the Preseason. Let me give you an example. When Fisher took over in 2010, FSU was coming off a 7-6 season but it was obvious we were on an upward slope. We were ranked around #20 in the preseason even though we believed we were much better than that. We finished 10-4 and #15 in the country in 2010. It spring boarded us into where we are now. As we've proven ourselves year after year we are more likely to be ranked higher in the preseason.

My point is usually if you are a team like Louisville that went 8-5 but its obvious the potential is there to be a Top 10 team, the voters usually start you a little lower and then make you earn your way up even though you are a better team than where you are ranked. Say Louisville goes 11-1 in 2016. Then in 2017 if Louisville returns most of their starters they would probably be Top 5 preseason. The thing about Louisville is now that they are in the ACC their future is ahead of them. 8-5 isn't seen the same in the ACC as 8-5 in the AAC would be seen. But it takes a couple of years of 10-2, 11-1 or 12-0 finishes in the ACC to be higher ranked Preseason. But you know what: Preseason rankings don't mean a lot anyway.

I think we'll rank around 12-15 range. We have great talent returning, but we're still a bit young and didn't beat a ranked opponent this season.

The recruiting class will also have an impact (controversial I know). If we sign a top 25 class we'll definitely be top 15 IMO.

Regardless, exciting times.

Reactions: Mayoman
We need a big time running back to get to the next level. LJ can't carry the entire load without significant risk of injury and other than LJ our running game still suffers. The O line will be better so that will help but we really need a punishing back to complete the offense. Also, I'd like to see some improvement in our receivers route running and execution. We've got some great play-makers in #2 and #17 but they need more touches.

Not a chance in this world.

Great win last night and a great performance by Lamar. He certainly put himself on the map last night. Legit Heisman contender for next year for sure.

So after beating one of the top teams of the supposed dominate $EC West, where does everyone think this puts us in ranking going into next year? I think top 10 and I would venture a guess around 9. Some may depend on who we lose. Maybe Fields but I think most everyone else is back. This team is going to be a force to reckoned with next year.

You are clearly very excited and that is OK. We have reason to be IF the OL problems are solved. Either way, Lamar is not going to be a legit Heisman contender next year, maybe his Junior year. As far as rank, if we crack the Top 20 I will be surprised. I will not be surprised if we come in at 26-29, but I think that would be unfair.

Yep, my first reaction is that Cards will struggle to make it into top 25 at 2016 season-start. Too many questions. Most Coach/AP voters will know that Cards need both Offense & Defense help. Cards' Offense will need more help than just Lamar Jackson, who is clearly spectacular. Opinions of Jackson will tend to 'over-value' the Cards. My guess is #25 to start. Cards will live and die on O-Line play, and on Defense secondary play. While Cards may start at #25, if they finish 10-2, which will be very very difficult, they will make it into top 15.

Let's not get carried away here. It was just another victory against an SEC squad that didn't want to be there. A victory over another disinterested SEC team. A team simply too disappointed to perform because they had fallen short of their SEC birth rite of a National Title.

The reality is this victory will do little for us. Sure we'll get a preseason ranking of 20-25 and a pat on the head with the explanation that if we played in Gods gift to college football, what mere mortals refer to as simply The SEC, we would be entitled to all the privileges of said membership. If we played in The SEC David Pollack would be required to bestow his early Heisman hype on a player like Lamar Jackson instead of Jeremy Johnson as he did this season. Pollack called Jeremy Johnson the "next big thing" in college football.

No this victory will do little to nothing to change ESPN 's constant drone of SEC propaganda. We have be Top 25 next year to start the season. That will still be behind a dozen or so programs from The SEC. Just wait ESPN will show us.
CJ

Let's not get carried away here. It was just another victory against an SEC squad that didn't want to be there. A victory over another disinterested SEC team. A team simply too disappointed to perform because they had fallen short of their SEC birth rite of a National Title.

The reality is this victory will do little for us. Sure we'll get a preseason ranking of 20-25 and a pat on the head with the explanation that if we played in Gods gift to college football, what mere mortals refer to as simply The SEC, we would be entitled to all the privileges of said membership. If we played in The SEC David Pollack would be required to bestow his early Heisman hype on a player like Lamar Jackson instead of Jeremy Johnson as he did this season. Pollack called Jeremy Johnson the "next big thing" in college football.

No this victory will do little to nothing to change ESPN 's constant drone of SEC propaganda. We have be Top 25 next year to start the season. That will still be behind a dozen or so programs from The SEC. Just wait ESPN will show us.
CJ

Why do you repeat this obvious propaganda then? You are inadvertently helping them do what they do.

At least drop sarcasm into your editorial. Does anyone really take Pollack seriously? He is one of the worst at what he does.:rolleyes:

We're also forgetting to take into account the rest of the field. In comparison, where do we stand?

People will credit us for only losing 2 offensive starters and returning probably the most electrifying QB in the country (that does matter.. A lot). Depending on who leaves for the NFL, we could get credit for only losing 2-3 defensive starters as wel.. And if we get Fields back, the "pollers" will credit us with significant talent on defense.

Maybe I'm a bit too optimistic but I think we'll get a fair ranking near the teens. If we don't, then that's fine honestly.. We'll probably play better with a chip on our shoulder.

Again, I like how our program is trending.. There is a lot to be excited about.

Reactions: Senore2006
Some of it may depend on which underclassmen on defense declare for the draft but I'll give a rough guess at about #17.
After the game last night, I was pretty excited and blurted out a top 10 start for next season, but that's probably too high. If most who can come back do come back then we'll probably start in the 15 to 20 range so I agree with Louisvillian.

I guess there's no harm in speculating. But, does anyone actually care what the Cards pre-season ranking turns out to be? That ranking is a wild guess at best and is about the most useless and meaningless college football distinction yet invented.

I guess there's no harm in speculating. But, does anyone actually care what the Cards pre-season ranking turns out to be? That ranking is a wild guess at best and is about the most useless and meaningless college football distinction yet invented.

The only real reason it matters is that you get talked about more if you are in top 25.

My guess is that we will be #24. Clemson will be #2, FSU will be #8, UNC will be #19 and we will be #24.

Reactions: American Male
Just get on the board. I agree, gives additional positive spotlight.

I don't think we are ranked at all preseason. Remember we have tough schedule next year with UH and Marshall OOC, both on the road plus FSU, defending NC Clemson in Death Valley, and, as they used to say in the Gilligans Island theme, "the rest". Repeating 8-4, even with an improved team, will be a good year.

In general, pre-season predictions are very conservative. I don't know how many times I've opened up one of those pre-season magazines to see how they're picking the Top 25 and conference order of finish, only to see almost the exact same list as the end of the previous year. If a team finished 5th in their league, chances are they're "predicted" to finish 5th again. If a team finished the year outside the Top 25 they usually start the next year in the same position.

Of course, big named programs always get a boost. If an Alabama, Michigan or Notre Dame has an off year, you can expect them to jump right back into the pre-season Top 25.

Everyone else, they tend to stay the same.

Louisville finished 3rd in their division in 2015. I'll be surprised if many of the media picks them anything else for next year. And, we finished 2015 outside of the Top 25 so look for Louisville in "others receiving votes."

I guess it's how those people keep their jobs. If they predict a lot of changes they'll get fired for being wrong, but nobody will ever fire you for picking Alabama to finish 1st in the SEC West or next year, picking Louisville out of the Top 25. Business as usual.

In college football, where you start has a direct bearing on how easy or hard it is to be ranked in the top 4 or qualify for a NY6 bowl game, so yes, I do care.

And we definitely won't be top 10. My expectation is somewhere between 21-30.

Top 25 would be a gift. Not that we do not deserve it, but we are not seen as a top 25 team historically. After all, what else do preseason rankings stand for? (outside of top 10)

Another question is At 8-5 with a bowl win will we end up in the top 25 this season? I would think so but I'm not sure.

Not this year....do see maybe in the Receiving Votes...do expect you will see Louisville in the Way Too Early Rankings next week after the Title game
You're probably right. I was thinking we might end up #23-25 but 5 losses might keep us out. Considering where we were at the end of September it's ok either way.

Another question is At 8-5 with a bowl win will we end up in the top 25 this season? I would think so but I'm not sure.

Not a chance...There's at least 35+ teams with better season ending records than the Cards have...IMHO, we'll end up in the others receiving at about #38.

:cool:

I loved the win. But the dive off this springboard was much more like a splashy cannonball than beautifully executed 1 1/2 somersault with a full twist.

Except for their own ineptitude at quarterback play, the Aggies could easily have had 3 more touchdowns on bad passes against blown coverages by our secondary. Not to mention a ball that could (should) have been caught on their last drive at the 4 yard line, which would likely have resulted in a loss by one extra point. And though I love how Lamar plays, his current passing accuracy will not get it done against defenses that key on his running threat.

I am greatly encouraged by the improvement in the O-line play, and the stable of quality running backs should be a plus. But the secondary will have to eliminate the breakdowns, and Lamar will have to improve his accuracy for this team to be top 10, even top 20 material. However, both are young, and so big strides forward are very possible. I'll still wait to see a few games next year before jumping on the top 25 bandwagon.

Last edited:
I think we'll rank around 12-15 range. We have great talent returning, but we're still a bit young and didn't beat a ranked opponent this season.

The recruiting class will also have an impact (controversial I know). If we sign a top 25 class we'll definitely be top 15 IMO.

Regardless, exciting times.

Stupes recruits all the good players

I also think we'll be in the Top 25. Our win - and its style, if you include two "All Bowl" performers in Jackson and Fields - will definitely help as an attention-getter. We could very well be a very "trendy pick", the fact is, inasmuch as the pride of voting power won't allow a voter to under rate what has to be a solid returning class.

I also think we'll be in the Top 25. Our win - and its style, if you include two "All Bowl" performers in Jackson and Fields - will definitely help as an attention-getter. We could very well be a very "trendy pick", the fact is, inasmuch as the pride of voting power won't allow a voter to under rate what has to be a solid returning class.
Fact is very few 8 win Bowl winning P5 teams with a Bowl win over the SEC..SEC.. SEC and returns virtually 19 out of 22 Starters when you include Kenny Thomas would be left out of the Top 20

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT