ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game

Status
Not open for further replies.
PE is right about redshirting. Good football players think of college as a three-year hitch before the NFL. Guarantee you that Lamar is thinking that he's gonna be in the 2018 NFL Draft. Whether that's shortsighted or not is irrelevant.

With four years of eligibility, they see redshirting as a wasted year. And they wanna play immediately and are promised a chance to compete for starting positions. Redshirting for most of them is off the radar.

And now we see that for the better students, year-round class schedules are being set up so that they can theoretically get their degrees in three years. Which makes the parents happy!

PE is right about redshirting. Good football players think of college as a three-year hitch before the NFL. Guarantee you that Lamar is thinking that he's gonna be in the 2018 NFL Draft. Whether that's shortsighted or not is irrelevant.

With four years of eligibility, they see redshirting as a wasted year. And they wanna play immediately and are promised a chance to compete for starting positions. Redshirting for most of them is off the radar.

And now we see that for the better students, year-round class schedules are being set up so that they can theoretically get their degrees in three years. Which makes the parents happy!

Exactly the route that Teddy Bridgewater took...didn't reshirt...took his studies seriously...balled out...got his degree all in 3 years...that is what the Elite Players in football are looking at...

Exactly the route that Teddy Bridgewater took...didn't reshirt...took his studies seriously...balled out...got his degree all in 3 years...that is what the Elite Players in football are looking at...

We didn't have a talented QB ahead of Teddy. Even with a redshirt year it still allows for you to enter the NFL draft after 3 years and the RS year counts as a year. I personally like the RS as it gives another year of seperation beween Pass and Jackson. So if Jackson is only planning on staying 3 years his final year will be Pass RS freshman season.

I think Bolin or Reggie would have the ability to get the job done if called upon. But even if Redshirted we could burn it at anytime if needed because of injury. I'm sure Petrino has talked to Pass about this and has went over the situations with his staff already.

Reactions: BPGhost
We didn't have a talented QB ahead of Teddy. Even with a redshirt year it still allows for you to enter the NFL draft after 3 years and the RS year counts as a year. I personally like the RS as it gives another year of seperation beween Pass and Jackson. So if Jackson is only planning on staying 3 years his final year will be Pass RS freshman season.

I think Bolin or Reggie would have the ability to get the job done if called upon. But even if Redshirted we could burn it at anytime if needed because of injury. I'm sure Petrino has talked to Pass about this and has went over the situations with his staff already.
Again, you're analyzing it from a fan's standpoint, not the player's (or most good players). They don't think they'll ever use a 5th year, even a 4th if they're a blue-chipper. Coaches know that and probably never even discuss it with a guy like Pass. A "lesser" player, maybe.

And irrespective of the medical redshirt situation, Pass probably thinks he can use a redshirt if he gets injured and needs it then. Why burn it coming in the door? If I was him, I could see the logic in that.

My suggestion is not to worry about these situations. That's what you pay highly successful coaches for. If Petrino can keep Bolin happy--an OLDER guy at that position--he can manage Pass...

Again, you're analyzing it from a fan's standpoint, not the player's (or most good players). They don't think they'll ever use a 5th year, even a 4th if they're a blue-chipper. Coaches know that and probably never even discuss it with a guy like Pass. A "lesser" player, maybe.

And irrespective of the medical redshirt situation, Pass probably thinks he can use a redshirt if he gets injured and needs it then. Why burn it coming in the door? If I was him, I could see the logic in that.

My suggestion is not to worry about these situations. That's what you pay highly successful coaches for. If Petrino can keep Bolin happy--an OLDER guy at that position--he can manage Pass...

I agree 100% Petrino will do what is best to win ball games and keep the program going in the right direction.

But some very good players have RS their freshman year Jameis and Manziel come off the top of my head.

...But some very good players have RS their freshman year Jameis and Manziel come off the top of my head.
And did either of those guys exhaust their eligibility? They didn't need to redshirt. And arguably, their teams may have realized some of Winston's or Manziel's potential earlier had they not redshirted...

You really don't redshirt talents like Pass in this day and age...not a good look with HS Players...even the highest rated players at a Blue Blood don't reshirt anymore.
PE - I don't disagree with you in the macro view however it really is a case by case basis in these instances. As it was pointed out by another poster - no less than Jameis Winston was redshirted - doubt that things have changed that radically since he became the #1 pick just last year. The commonality was that he was behind an established QB - Senior EJ Manuel and it didn't make sense to FSU to play him in a mop up role. I'm sure that if Manuel had been hurt and they didn't have a backup QB to go to that they felt comfortable with, they would have certainly played Winston - much as I'm guessing will be the case next year with Pass.

Reactions: The Public Enemy

CF53 - I think you've hit on it exactly - not even remotely the same situation as when TB was a freshman - here are the other QBs on the team in 2011.

Will Stein, r-Jr.
Dominique Brown, So.
Teddy Bridgewater, Fr.
Luke Brohm, Fr.
Jerry Arlinghaus, Fr.

No offense to Will - but certainly not the situation that the team is in right now. I would be shocked if the plan was not to redshirt him except in case of injury to LJ.

And did either of those guys exhaust their eligibility? They didn't need to redshirt. And arguably, their teams may have realized some of Winston's or Manziel's potential earlier had they not redshirted...
Seriously, do you just like to argue or, is it the sound of your own "voice" that you're so enamored with? Football is a team sport. Winston and Manziel were redshirted because they failed to win the QB position and redshirting them was the best thing for the team - which is what will happen with Pass unless LJ is injured - and as you inadvertently stumbled upon - it didn't effect either of them in the long run at all.

Pass will come in and compete for the QB position. Just last year, Bonnefon was the starter and Jackson came in and competed for the position. Many posters insisted that Jackson would be red shirted, but there he was, on the field for the very first play against Auburn. I hope Pass is also just too good to keep off the field.

Reactions: CardFanBudMan
CF53 - I think you've hit on it exactly - not even remotely the same situation as when TB was a freshman - here are the other QBs on the team in 2011.

Will Stein, r-Jr.
Dominique Brown, So.
Teddy Bridgewater, Fr.
Luke Brohm, Fr.
Jerry Arlinghaus, Fr.

No offense to Will - but certainly not the situation that the team is in right now. I would be shocked if the plan was not to redshirt him except in case of injury to LJ.

Redshirting Pass might not be an option depending upon what Bolin does upon graduation. We will know the answer to that soon enough.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Redshirting Pass might not be an option depending upon what Bolin does upon graduation. We will know the answer to that soon enough.
Redshirting Pass might not be an option for a couple of different scenarios however that doesn't change the fact that if he is not going to be featured, the team is better off if he is redshirted.

Is your post meant to imply that Bolin might transfer this summer?

Redshirting Pass might not be an option for a couple of different scenarios however that doesn't change the fact that if he is not going to be featured, the team is better off if he is redshirted.

Is your post meant to imply that Bolin might transfer this summer?

Affirmative.

Affirmative.
Interesting. Do you mind me asking what you are basing that on? Things change of course but the last interview that he did, he was on the record as working very hard to be a team captain this year and ready for any opportunity that circumstances might provide, despite the fact that he recognizes that LJ is the clear cut #1. Hard to believe that subpar results in the spring game would have changed his or BP's minds - particularly since he spent the majority of the 1st half running for his life from the 1st string defense and had no time to throw.

Seriously, do you just like to argue or, is it the sound of your own "voice" that you're so enamored with? Football is a team sport. Winston and Manziel were redshirted because they failed to win the QB position and redshirting them was the best thing for the team - which is what will happen with Pass unless LJ is injured - and as you inadvertently stumbled upon - it didn't effect either of them in the long run at all.
How the hell do you know why those two guys redshirted? Did you ask them? I don't know of any prospects that get redshirted involuntarily. You act like it was imposed on them, and that we can simply say Pass must redshirt. You think he, his family, and Petrino have already covered that ground?

Takes two to "argue". If you don't like dancing, don't cue up the music. And shouldn't you be googling personal information about 'zipp' with your free time anyway?

How the hell do you know why those two guys redshirted? Did you ask them? I don't know of any prospects that get redshirted involuntarily. You act like it was imposed on them, and that we can simply say Pass must redshirt. You think he, his family, and Petrino have already covered that ground?

Takes two to "argue". If you don't like dancing, don't cue up the music. And shouldn't you be googling personal information about 'zipp' with your free time anyway?
1. I already told you why those two redshirted - if you have a more plausible explanation (spoiler alert - you don't) feel free to expound on it for the board.

2. Nowhere did I say that the process - with Manziel, Winston or any player - was involuntary. Football is a team sport. Individuals that play team sports are ingrained in the concept of "team first" and will primarily do what is in the best interests of the team. If you had ever played team sports, that wouldn't be a foreign concept to you.

3. I do think that Petrino has gone over the options with Pass and, given the circumstances that LJ is the clear cut #1 and only a sophomore, it is perfectly reasonable - prudent even - for Pass to plan on redshirting rather than waste a year in a mop up role. Should LJ be unable to play and Petrino thinks Pass is the best option to win, he will probably play him - depending where they are in the season. One thing I'm sure Petrino or any coach wants like a hole in their head, is to help start a QB controversy.

4. I wasn't arguing with you; I was simply pointing out that argument (and meaningless stats - lol) is your calling card.

5. Have never "googled" you, simply happened to see a funny video of someone purported to be you that was posted by someone else. By all means though, if you're telling me that there are other similar hilarious videos, I'll be sure to keep my eye out for them.

6. Isn't this about the juncture that you ask the mods to lock the thread? :rolleyes:

I already told you why those two redshirted - if you have a more plausible explanation (spoiler alert - you don't) feel free to expound on it for the board...
You don't know whey they took a redshirt. You simply OPINED why they did. And it's easy to see you're a little clueless how the process works by how you use the word. A good player doesn't "get redshirted", he redshirts himself. You get your subject and object backwards. An average player gets redshirted because he likely didn't get any agreements from the head coach coming in the door, and he's a little powerless to choose otherwise. A guy like Pass will redshirt if HE WANTS to redshirt.
...Nowhere did I say that the process - with Manziel, Winston or any player - was involuntary. Football is a team sport. Individuals that play team sports are ingrained in the concept of "team first" and will primarily do what is in the best interests of the team...
And I've got a little piece of slightly wet real estate I'd like to show you when you have some time.
...I wasn't arguing with you; I was simply pointing out that argument (and meaningless stats - lol) is your calling card...
The "ignore" feature here can be your friend.
...Have never "googled" you, simply happened to see a funny video of someone purported to be you that was posted by someone else. By all means though, if you're telling me that there are other similar hilarious videos, I'll be sure to keep my eye out for them...
"Purported"... Good stuff. You and the slappies share a common problem of not knowing how to filter info.
...Isn't this about the juncture that you ask the mods to lock the thread?
Knock yourself out finding ANY thread I've suggested locking. You're really good with 'zipp' info...

You don't know whey they took a redshirt. You simply OPINED why they did. And it's easy to see you're a little clueless how the process works by how you use the word. A good player doesn't "get redshirted", he redshirts himself. You get your subject and object backwards. An average player gets redshirted because he likely didn't get any agreements from the head coach coming in the door, and he's a little powerless to choose otherwise. A guy like Pass will redshirt if HE WANTS to redshirt.

And I've got a little piece of slightly wet real estate I'd like to show you when you have some time.

The "ignore" feature here can be your friend.

"Purported"... Good stuff. You and the slappies share a common problem of not knowing how to filter info.

Knock yourself out finding ANY thread I've suggested locking. You're really good with 'zipp' info...
If you think that the player is in charge of whether he redshirts or not, you're sillier than even I thought. Not to mention that if they were in charge of the process, they wouldn't "take" a redshirt, they would "choose" it. You've got your verb definitions confused - lol.

Not that you brought any logic or reasoning to the table but, if my "opinion" as to why the 2014 & 2015 Heisman trophy winners redshirted their freshman year is incorrect, then by all means regale me with your list of plausible alternative reasons. I'll wait...

In the meantime, as we've discussed previously - it's not surprising that you are unfamiliar with the tenants and accepted norms that come along with team sports. Among the many things that resonate in your 26K posts, it's the absence of understanding the team concept - particularly at the HS and collegiate level. Successful coaches at those levels do not let players determine team policy or, how things will transpire. Whether you would like to recognize it or not, once he's signed - whether he redshirts or not, is a TEAM issue and last I heard, Petrino gets paid a lot of money to run the team and the program. As good as Pass may end up, he hasn't proven anything at the collegiate level - and certainly not enough in his young career to dictate to Petrino what's going to happen.

I don't want to ignore you for the same reason that you don't ignore any of the yut fans that wander over here. As for the locking of threads, I'll just chalk it up to coincidence that threads where your foolishness is exposed seem to get shut down. As for the "wet real estate"? I'll take a pass - I've seen how you show clients "water properties" - lol.

If you think that the player is in charge of whether he redshirts or not, you're sillier than even I thought. Not to mention that if they were in charge of the process, they wouldn't "take" a redshirt, they would "choose" it...
Parsing words is a loser's argument... "The player" is ambiguous. A 5-star player "chooses" whether he wants to redshirt, and the head coach knows that before signing day. That's clarified in the living room in front of Mom and Pop. The 2-star player feels blessed to have an offer and minces no words saying that. He gets redshirted if the coach wants that. Guys in between those extremes are handled accordingly. And Pass is closer to the 5-star guy.
...Not that you brought any logic or reasoning to the table but, if my "opinion" as to why the 2014 & 2015 Heisman trophy winners redshirted their freshman year is incorrect, then by all means regale me with your list of plausible alternative reasons. I'll wait...
It's not my job to prove your opinion is wrong. You're the guy putting words in the mouths of Winston and Manziel. I simply pointed out that they never needed to redshirt, and that's a fact. Both went into the draft with eligibility remaining. That won't happen to Pass because he redshirts anymore than it will happen to Lamar Jackson.
...In the meantime, as we've discussed previously - it's not surprising that you are unfamiliar with the tenants and accepted norms that come along with team sports. Among the many things that resonate in your 26K posts, it's the absence of understanding the team concept - particularly at the HS and collegiate level. Successful coaches at those levels do not let players determine team policy or, how things will transpire. Whether you would like to recognize it or not, once he's signed - whether he redshirts or not, is a TEAM issue and last I heard, Petrino gets paid a lot of money to run the team and the program. As good as Pass may end up, he hasn't proven anything at the collegiate level - and certainly not enough in his young career to dictate to Petrino what's going to happen...
Now we have to meet an internet jackwagon's credibility standard for coaching and competing. As I've said before, you only THINK you know me. And kindly point us in the direction of your Heisman or CFP Trophy so that we can hold you in proper esteem.
...I don't want to ignore you for the same reason that you don't ignore any of the yut fans that wander over here. As for the locking of threads, I'll just chalk it up to coincidence that threads where your foolishness is exposed seem to get shut down. As for the "wet real estate"? I'll take a pass - I've seen how you show clients "water properties" - lol.
Problems never seem to arise until a slappy comes along. And you probably don't have any money or credit anyway, not enough to waste my time...

Last edited:
Parsing words is a loser's argument... "The player" is ambiguous. A 5-star player "chooses" whether he wants to redshirt, and the head coach knows that before signing day. That's clarified in the living room in front of Mom and Pop. The 2-star player feels blessed to have an offer and minces no words saying that. He gets redshirted if the coach wants that. Guys in between those extremes are handled accordingly. And Pass is closer to the 5-star guy.

It's not my job to prove your opinion is wrong. You're the guy putting words in the mouths of Winston and Manziel. I simply pointed out that they never needed to redshirt, and that's a fact. Both went into the draft with eligibility remaining. That won't happen to Pass because he redshirts anymore than it will happen to Lamar Jackson.

Now we have to meet an internet jackwagon's credibility standard for coaching and competing. As I've said before, you only THINK you know me. And kindly point us in the direction of your Heisman or CFP Trophy so that we can hold you in proper esteem.

Problems never seem to arise until a slappy comes along. And you probably don't have any money or credit anyway, not enough to waste my time...
1. It takes a loser to know a "loser's argument" which is why that was the path you chose initially with your subject / object nonsense.

2. You don't have any more knowledge of what occurs in a recruit's living room than you do about conflict resolution - lol.

3. The fact is you are unable to prove my opinion wrong - which is why you don't embarrass yourself further by trying - and instead hide behind some goofy statement about it not being "your job". I am not putting words in anyone's mouths, I'm telling you what happened - the last 2 Heisman trophy winning QBs redshirted during their freshman year. It is you that are unable to come up with any rationale to fit your deluded narrative refuting this fact. Did they “need” to redshirt? Based on your position - they didn't and yet they did - undercutting your whole position. They redshirted because they weren't going to be the starter and it was ultimately better for them and the team for them to do so. The proof is the results that their respective teams enjoyed - multiple bowl wins and National Championship - while they were simultaneously achieving their individual awards.

4. I don’t claim to know anything about you – other than you don't understand sports, you make things up to compensate for the lack of knowledge in some pathetic attempt to “win” message board discussions and, you are apparently decidedly unchivalrous when dealing with elderly women. Maybe it’s a lack of sleep – try to get 8 hours in rather than typing drivel at 4:30 AM…

^^^^ ALL of this crap above is why threads get locked. It happens when TWO or more (it takes at least 2) posters highjack a thread for a personal pissing contest, that derails the topic and prevents others from discussion. Take that stuff off the board; exchange e-mails, phone numbers, or addresses. I don't care what you do, but the personal attacks need to end now. I take responsibility for not addressing this issue sooner. I've been seeing personal attacks and unprovoked targeting of individual fellow UofL posters for a while now, and that needs to stop. You can debate or defend your position aggressively, but leave the personal attacks out. Going forward, that will be addressed as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT