ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina 72 - Louisville 59

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
It was a fun ride while it lasted, but Louisville women's basketball came to the end of their National Championship journey Friday night in Minneapolis when South Carolina defeated them 72-59.

South Carolina was led by National Player of the Year Aliyah Boston's 23 points and Brea Beal matched her season high with 12 points. Beal's defensive job on Louisville's Hailey Van Lith was another key to the Gamecocks win, the Cardinals sophomore ended up with just nine points.

The Cards started slowly and South Carolina jumped out to an early 7-0 lead . Louisville head coach Jeff Walz called timeout at the 5:30 mark of the first quarter after the Gamecocks extended the lead to 11-2. Louisville trailed 17-10 after the first quarter but went on a 12-0 run at the beginning of the second to take a 22-19 lead on Kianna Smith’s jumper.

South Carolina went on a run, though, after that and the Gamecocks answered with a 15-6 run of their own and after scoring back-to-back buckets at the end of the half took a 30-28 ballgame to a six-point, 34-28 lead into the break.

USC came out hot to start the second half, hitting their first three shots and they extended their halftime lead to 15 at 51-36 with 5:47 to go in the third quarter, Louisville still had fight in them, though, Smith scored four consecutive points and Mykasa Robinson hit an off-balance jumper in the paint to trim the lead back to 54-48 with under a minute to go in the quarter. But, with four seconds remaining in the third, Emily Engstler was called for her fourth foul on an Aliyah Boston bucket and Boston also converted the free throw to give South Carolina a 57-48 lead going into the final frame.

The Cardinals would not get closer than nine points the rest of the way. South Carolina advances to the title game to face UConn, who knocked off defending national champion Stanford in the second game last night 63-58.

Engstler fouled out midway through the fourth quarter and had a team-high 18 points on 8-17 shooting, while adding nine rebounds and four steals. She had 10 points and seven rebounds at the end of the first half.

Smith had 14 points and consistently hit tough shots to keep the Cardinals in the game, while Cochran finished with 14 points on 6-11 shooting, while adding four rebounds and three steals.

One can't help but be proud of this Louisville team that ends up 30-5 (or 29-5 if you subscribe to the NCAA account of the record). Walz took two transfer portal players, a sophomore center and shooting guard and senior who was in her second year as a starter and built a team that earned a #1 seed in the Wichita Region and disposed of Tennessee and Michigan to advance to the Final Four. Louisville was a squad that bonded on and off the court and a nightmare for opponents to prepare for and scout.

Credit South Carolina for taking Louisville's three-point game away (the Cards were just 1-8 from behind the arc) with an aggressive defense that held Cards guards Van Lith, Hall and Kasa Robinson to just 13 points.

Louisville showed a lot of heart and desire against the taller Gamecocks and never gave up the battle against the #1 team in the nation. Once again, the whistles were unkind to the Cards -- they were whistled for 17 fouls, compared to just 11 for South Carolina -- and the Gamecocks went 12-17 from the free throw line, while Louisville received just seven free throw opportunities, making four of them.

Walz may be losing Kianna Smith, Chelsie Hall and Emily Engstler to the pros and graduation, but, the returnees and a stellar incoming class should give Louisville another strong team in the 2022-23 season that could very well send the Cards to their fifth Final Four appearance in Walz's 16 years as the Cards head coach.

Ultimately, though, basketball comes down to scoring the most points to win a game. South Carolina accomplished that and moves on. This was a Louisville team that was so much fun to watch, see and hear in press conferences and detail during their march to the Final Four. The future of Louisville women's basketball looks very bright.

''I've never been prouder of a group,'' head coach Jeff Walz said. ''They've absolutely been a joy to coach.''

--sonja--

Great job Sonja. Seasons end is always a downer, but this team was special, their personalities and grit. Sad we only had Emily for one year she was so much fun to watch.
But your correct the women returning are very good and I expect Peyton to really step up next year. We need some help for Cochran, hopefully Sydni can be that player.
Will be in our seats come November ready for another great run.
A little fact I heard this AM. Coach K went to the Final 4 five times before he won it all. As Walz said it takes some luck and that’s a fact.
Go Cards!

Saw a fan tell the ref good job as they were walking off the court and they threw the cocks hand sign up. I’m in the pep band so I was right next to the tunnel they were going into

Bad start….never recovered….the team played hard and that is all we can ask….Good job ladies.

It was a fun ride while it lasted, but Louisville women's basketball came to the end of their National Championship journey Friday night in Minneapolis when South Carolina defeated them 72-59.

South Carolina was led by National Player of the Year Aliyah Boston's 23 points and Brea Beal matched her season high with 12 points. Beal's defensive job on Louisville's Hailey Van Lith was another key to the Gamecocks win, the Cardinals sophomore ended up with just nine points.

The Cards started slowly and South Carolina jumped out to an early 7-0 lead . Louisville head coach Jeff Walz called timeout at the 5:30 mark of the first quarter after the Gamecocks extended the lead to 11-2. Louisville trailed 17-10 after the first quarter but went on a 12-0 run at the beginning of the second to take a 22-19 lead on Kianna Smith’s jumper.

South Carolina went on a run, though, after that and the Gamecocks answered with a 15-6 run of their own and after scoring back-to-back buckets at the end of the half took a 30-28 ballgame to a six-point, 34-28 lead into the break.

USC came out hot to start the second half, hitting their first three shots and they extended their halftime lead to 15 at 51-36 with 5:47 to go in the third quarter, Louisville still had fight in them, though, Smith scored four consecutive points and Mykasa Robinson hit an off-balance jumper in the paint to trim the lead back to 54-48 with under a minute to go in the quarter. But, with four seconds remaining in the third, Emily Engstler was called for her fourth foul on an Aliyah Boston bucket and Boston also converted converted the free throw to give South Carolina a 57-48 lead into the final frame.

The Cardinals would not get closer than nine points the rest of the way. South Carolina advances to the title game to face UConn, who knocked off defending national champion Stanford in the second game last night 63-58.

Engstler fouled out midway through the fourth quarter and had a team-high 18 points on 8-17 shooting, while adding nine rebounds and four steals. She had 10 points and seven rebounds at the end of the first half.

Smith had 14 points and consistently hit tough shots to keep the Cardinals in the game, while Cochran finished with 14 points on 6-11 shooting, while adding four rebounds and three steals.

One can't help but be proud of this Louisville team that ends up 30-5 (or 29-5 if you subscribe to the NCAA account of the record). Walz took two transfer portal players, a sophomore center and shooting guard and senior who was in her second year as a starter and built a team that earned a #1 seed in the Wichita Region and disposed of Tennessee and Michigan to advance to the Final Four. Louisville was a squad that bonded on and off the court and a nightmare for opponents to prepare for and scout.

Credit South Carolina for taking Louisville's three-point game away (the Cards were just 1-8 from behind the arc) with an aggressive defense that held Cards guards Van Lith, Hall and Kasa Robinson to just 13 points.

Louisville showed a lot of heart and desire against the taller Gamecocks and never gave up the battle against the #1 team in the nation. Once again, the whistles were unkind to the Cards -- they were whistled for 17 fouls, compared to just 11 for South Carolina -- and the Gamecocks went 12-17 from the free throw line, while Louisville received just seven free throw opportunities, making four of them.

Walz may be losing Kianna Smith, Chelsie Hall and Emily Engstler to the pros and graduation, but, the returnees and a stellar incoming class should give Louisville another strong team in the 2022-23 season that could very well send the Cards to their fifth Final Four appearance in Walz's 16 years as the Cards head coach.

Ultimately, though, basketball comes down to scoring the most points to win a game. South Carolina accomplished that and moves on. This was a Louisville team that was so much fun to watch, see and hear in press conferences and detail during their march to the Final Four. The future of Louisville women's basketball looks very bright.

''I've never been prouder of a group,'' head coach Jeff Walz said. ''They've absolutely been a joy to coach.''

--sonja--
Nice write up Sonja! Very proud of our Team! It was going to take our best shooting game of the year to win. That did not happen. Team played hard, never gave up right into the Final Minute. Congrats to Jeff, and the entire Lady Cards Team, on a great season!!

Reactions: vivid_red
Almost all teams lose their last game of the season In college basketball. While last night’s result was disappointing this group of Cardinals will go down as one of the most engaging teams the school has ever put on the court. The effort was always there. Congrats to Coach Walz and all of the players and staff for a tremendous season.

Excellent reporting, Sonja. You should really be the C-J’s reporter on UofL women’s sports. You’d be the best writer they have.

Reactions: putter23
Excellent reporting, Sonja. You should really be the C-J’s reporter on UofL women’s sports. You’d be the best writer they have.
Thank you Beantown, what a nice thing to say ! I don't think I could handle being in the same building as grumpy old man Tim "Get your kids out of my front yard" Sullivan, though and I'd probably be admonished for not getting along with my workmates.

The Courier-Journal's WBB knowledge is on par with my knowledge of nuclear fission.

--sonja--

Thank you Beantown, what a nice thing to say ! I don't think I could handle being in the same building as grumpy old man Tim "Get your kids out of my front yard" Sullivan, though and I'd probably be admonished for not getting along with my workmates.

The Courier-Journal's WBB knowledge is on par with my knowledge of nuclear fission.

--sonja--
Last week Sullivan wrote an article where he said the Cards lost to S Carolina during the regular season. I sent him an email noting that a sports reporter for the Louisville newspaper should know that Louisville didn’t even play S Carolina. He responded that he was in a rush when he wrote the article and relied on his memory rather than looking up who Louisville lost to. I thought to myself that’s a crummy excuse when Louisville only lost four games during the season. Women’s basketball isn’t even on his radar until the post season. He’s too busy rewriting the same “Louisville scandals” story over and over. A sport with no scandal isn’t worth his attention.

I'm surprised Timmy even makes enough money to live on working for the C-J. What a waste.

Great season, very proud of our team. We didn't play our best last night and we needed to be at our best because USC is damn good. Lots of things that added up to us coming up short-too many careless turnovers, hurried/missed shots, defensive lapses, a couple of tough calls.
Even not at our best, we never quit. HVL had a tough night, but fought all night long-9 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals. Kiana had her mid range game going and Olivia fought fiercely against the best player in country. Emily was everything as always.

Sonja- great report! It’s enjoyable to read something about the game without the griping and complaining about the officiating. One team is always going to look for excuses but I don’t think that’s Walz. There’s a reason why USC was ranked #1 and while the Cards had a really good, if not great chance of going to the championship game, USC played better. The Cards didn’t quit and I’m very proud of this team and enjoyed watching them through the season. Go Cards!

There is a ton of negativity out there when it comes to sports reporting. It is "what gets clicks" according to Jeff Walz. And he's probably right.

That's one thing (negativity) I'll never stoop to, because "clicks" mean nothing to me. I learned that from my hubby Paulie, who runs Cardinal Couple. Readers have a multitude of choices. I won't resort to negativity to create readership. I keep in mind that these are 17-23 year old young adults who have their entire lives ahead of them. Ask Asia Durr, Myisha Hines-Allen, Angel McCoughtry or Dana Evans...ask Cortnee Walton or Becky Burke or Shawnta Dyer. Jeff Walz prepared them for like AFTER college basketball and they are grateful for that preparation.

You want negativity? Go follow "the grumpy old man". You won't find it in my posts.

--sonja--

Reactions: CardFan
There is a ton of negativity out there when it comes to sports reporting. It is "what gets clicks" according to Jeff Walz. And he's probably right.

That's one thing (negativity) I'll never stoop to, because "clicks" mean nothing to me. I learned that from my hubby Paulie, who runs Cardinal Couple. Readers have a multitude of choices. I won't resort to negativity to create readership. I keep in mind that these are 17-23 year old young adults who have their entire lives ahead of them. Ask Asia Durr, Myisha Hines-Allen, Angel McCoughtry or Dana Evans...ask Cortnee Walton or Becky Burke or Shawnta Dyer. Jeff Walz prepared them for like AFTER college basketball and they are grateful for that preparation.

You want negativity? Go follow "the grumpy old man". You won't find it in my posts.

--sonja--
Sonja…you are awesome!

Reactions: Sonja
You are truly a joy to read Sonja! CJ is unworthy of your talents, but I would like to se you featured more here.

Reactions: Sonja
South Carolina putting it on UConn. No shame in losing to the best. Thanks for the updates Sonja.

I thought the same thing it was just like our game they couldn’t completely shut down Bueckers but they held her below her average. They shut down Fudd and Edwards. I still don’t like the pony tail referee she just makes really bad calls in all her games.

UL fans need to acknowledge that S Carolina was from beginning to the end, better than anyone else in the Country. I doubt we will be any higher in the final rankings than 4th or 5th; however I believe we have as good of an argument as NCST, UConn Stanford to finish #2.

Reactions: CardsFirst
South Carolina
Louisville
UCONN
Stanford
NCST
UCONN played them similar to us but lost by more. Although NCST was exceptional they lost in the elite 8. But I wouldn’t have a problem flip flopping Stanford and NCST.
Now do I expect the bias media to shake it out that way? no. Flipping UCONN and the Cards also will probably happen. Third wouldn’t be bad, but it just doesn’t matter.

South Carolina
Louisville
UCONN
Stanford
NCST
UCONN played them similar to us but lost by more. Although NCST was exceptional they lost in the elite 8. But I wouldn’t have a problem flip flopping Stanford and NCST.
Now do I expect the bias media to shake it out that way? no. Flipping UCONN and the Cards also will probably happen. Third wouldn’t be bad, but it just doesn’t matter.
NC Stare lost in a virtual home game against UCONN and of course beat us.

You could put UofL, NC State, UConn and Stanford in a bag and shake them up and however they came out would be fair. South Carolina was a level above all four in that I think they would win 80% of the games they played against all four. The four would beat each other about the same amount of times they would lose to each other.

In a side note Louisville will be a contender again next year with who they have coming back along with who they have coming in. NCST loses 4 starters they will be competitive but not as strong. North Carolina will be a challenger they have everybody coming back and had a good year. South Carolina will probably repeat next year.

I think NC St takes a significant step back. Yep, UNC should be good. UND, Miami and Duke should all be good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT