ADVERTISEMENT

Something I Miss About College Basketball

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
One aspect I miss about college basketball is the mid range game. I think Terry Rozier might be the last guy here that really utilized it well.

Gorgui also developed a great mid range/foul line jumper by his junior year. It's a great tool and a thing of beauty when shot well.

I miss the "how many steps you can take before its called walking rule," or before its called palming the ball; and lastly how much holding and contact is allowed that impedes the offensive player; and how much highly rated players are allowed to bang into and plow over the defender without being called for a foul.:mad:

John Wooden likely barfs at how games are played/officiated today. Naismith is rolling over in his grave too o_O

I know I am an old timer but the games get less and less attractive to watch ever year for me. What is a foul or a traveling violation anymore? Not much! The grace and purity of the game are no more.:oops::(:rolleyes:

Yeah with the ascent of the three point line and more dribbling than passing,the mid range game really has all but disappeared. Truly a lost art imo.
Lancaster Gordon and Derek Smith are two guys that immediately come to mind that had really good midrange games.
I know I'm going back so that tells you how long it's been missing. Every now and then somebody has it.
And forget about that square behind the rim while we're at it. Nobody knows how to use that thing from 10-12 feet at an angle.

Yeah with the ascent of the three point line and more dribbling than passing,the mid range game really has all but disappeared. Truly a lost art imo.
Lancaster Gordon and Derek Smith are two guys that immediately come to mind that had really good midrange games.
I know I'm going back so that tells you how long it's been missing. Every now and then somebody has it.
And forget about that square behind the rim while we're at it. Nobody knows how to use that thing from 10-12 feet at an angle.
Agree about using the backboard and angles for shots. I'm not sure if it's because it isn't taught anymore or because players don't think it looks cool, but utilizing that square can make a shot more accurate for bigs and jump shots.

I think if some of our past bigs like Enoch used that square instead of always trying to swish baby hook shots would've benefited them a lot.

Reactions: Mayoman and earsky
Agree about using the backboard and angles for shots. I'm not sure if it's because it isn't taught anymore or because players don't think it looks cool, but utilizing that square can make a shot more accurate for bigs and jump shots
For whatever reason it's considered old school. You see the guys that you idolize do it and then mimmick that as a kid.

It's that danged X generation that started getting away from it. Lol
I think Gordon was really good at using the square mid range. Seems like Herb Crook was a decent bank shot guy too.

Reactions: Mayoman
If a player wants to get good/great at the bank shot then they should watch Tim Duncan clips. He absolutely mastered it and he is one of the best to ever play the game!

Reactions: shadow force
Kind of off topic,but somehow indirectly relevant. I just watched Crum's revenge video of the comeback against Michigan in the 13 championship game. Aside from the obvious that Luke drug the Cards out of that huge 1st half deficit with those 3 PT daggers was that Siva seemed to be in the middle of almost every play at both ends,either with an assist or a defensive rebound and/or steal.
My point? Much like the bank shot of yesterday,so goes the true point guard too it seems. That young man understood the game,was relentless defending and tried to get the ball where it needed to be at the offensive end. The consumate team player,we haven't had anyone close since,and we're going on 10 years.
Is there such a thing anymore?

I watched the movie Hoosiers last night. Commented to Mrs. Guardman how much the glass was used back then.
I work where there is a BB gym.

Kids work on the “floater” constantly, and when they take short shots the glass is never used.

I’d lay odds not one could tell you why the “square” is there, even though it would help their “odds” tremendously.

Remember the 4 corners stall to drain the clock pre shot clock? Teams used to foul just to get the ball back.

Reactions: earsky
And wake up to read the Duke-UNC scores in the newspaper: UNC 8-Duke 7.
Did Rece Davis mention Zion Williamson’s parents living in a 900,00 dollar house near Dukes campus? And did he wonder aloud how they pulled that off on their income?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT