ADVERTISEMENT

Some Former Players Still Supporting Payne

Ryan McMahon did kind of walk things back saying he wasn’t blaming the fans. His initial tweet kinda blew up in his face. At this point, any former player that is accepting these results clearly must have priorities that don’t include UofL being a top bball program or they never watch the games and thus cannot see the incompetence on display. Whatever the case, I could give two $hits what their opinion is at this point.

It's definitely them not actually watching the games. It takes actually seeing for yourself how a more talented and higher recruited group of players are getting used by a much lesser talented and recruited group of players.

Not just beat, but used by these low level schools. It's coaching plain and simple. The Cards players don't know how to adjust or why they need to. They still think since they're the higher recruited players, they're the better team.

It doesn't work that way.

Ryan McMahon did kind of walk things back saying he wasn’t blaming the fans. His initial tweet kinda blew up in his face. At this point, any former player that is accepting these results clearly must have priorities that don’t include UofL being a top bball program or they never watch the games and thus cannot see the incompetence on display. Whatever the case, I could give two $hits what their opinion is at this point.
He did and I understand his point. However no way in hell should the fans support this current travesty by selling out the YUM.

That would only prolong this mess and convince Payne that they're doing well even when losing to D2 schools.

Having been a fan since 1959, alumni, financial supporter, , and much more, I have seen a lot of good and bad basketball. I have not seen anything this disorganized, inept by a Cardinals team in that time. My time is more valuable now, and my entertainment without the stress of bad sports is way off the list.

He did and I understand his point. However no way in hell should the fans support this current travesty by selling out the YUM.

That would only prolong this mess and convince Payne that they're doing well even when losing to D2 schools.
Pretty sure if Ryan was a HS senior again, he would not be interested in signing to play for Payne.

But he wants the fans to produce sell outs for this mess?

Ok… 🙄

When are former players going to realize nobody cares what they think. Yes they played here, had success, but life goes on. They get in for free and get the best seats when they decide to show up every now and then. The normal fans have to pay alot of cash to watch this crap.

Nobody cares fellas...thanks for the memories but you are just fans now like the rest of us.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
As former players none of these guys played for HC KP or suffered through a 4-28 season under his watch, or looking down the barrel of a repeat performance, so they are talking out of their ass. As fans(?) if they think this is acceptable then they aren't fans really and probably have an agenda outside of having a successful program first.

McMahon says, "When our fan base shows up, it's an obvious advantage on the court."

In football home field usually gets you about 3. Not sure in basketball but probably not much different. In order for more fans to make a difference for coach Payne is for the additional fans to be seated in the opponents tunnel and mug them when they come out.

They take a player’s perspective. They see the fans bailing on the players. It’s not right but I think that’s where they are at.

Who in their right man wants to take the time and effort and cost to go to the game and watch mid major teams school the Cards? After a few of these, most fans are done with that.

It's beyond ignorance for former players to believe 18 thousand fans are going to show up for this mess. On the contrary, staying away may and should force a change that is desperately needed.

And that's the rub with the former players.

Reactions: Tenncard
how about a standard for KP.

here it is: if KP wins 9 games or less, he is forced to resign. that is less than 1/3 of the games. not difficult for an average head coach.

We’re getting dog walked by the worse teams on our schedule. For the second year in a row.

Having said that, the end result is obvious to everyone (even former players trying to be respectful of a player brethren), but I’m not sure what the advantage is to pull the firing trigger now.

Reactions: earsky and rh62531
One more "tune up" game with Coppin State which the Cards may lose. Then the Empire Classic with the first game against Texas then either UConn or IU which all look like double digit blowouts.

Reactions: Larry10 and rh62531
how about a standard for KP.

here it is: if KP wins 9 games or less, he is forced to resign. that is less than 1/3 of the games. not difficult for an average head coach.
I don’t disagree with that as a standard, but he has a contract. Unless he violates it, you’re not “forcing” him to do anything…

Reactions: achilles992000
One more "tune up" game with Coppin State which the Cards may lose. Then the Empire Classic with the first game against Texas then either UConn or IU which all look like double digit blowouts.
I believe that there is a probability of near zero that we lose to Coppin State, they’re just too bad. Past Coppin State though, I don’t see another sure win on the schedule.

I agree with you. However I will point out that for some time you held to a narrative that Petrino 2.0’s contract didn’t matter and that Tyra didn’t need to honor the contractual buyout.
All of that is true. And I never said you don't try to negotiate your cost down, esp. in 2023 when you don't have the money to easily honor the buyout in the contract. But that's a discussion in principle.

We have an effing mess on our hands where the cookbook approach ain't gonna work. No one was gonna defend Petrino.

With Payne, we have a damage control situation of the utmost. He will be held up as an example of an aspiring AA coach, the only one at U of L, who represented this University for many years with class and dignity, and who had to be talked into the head coaching job.

And U of L set him up to fail. It doesn't matter if that's true or not, and it won't be a characterization that U of L will fight. It's not PC for U of L to challenge it.

Part and parcel will be the guy getting his full buyout and a boatload of apologies on top of it. But we put ourselves in this situation with a ridiculous contract and an inescapable situation publicly. We have no one else to blame...

As former players none of these guys played for HC KP or suffered through a 4-28 season under his watch, or looking down the barrel of a repeat performance, so they are talking out of their ass. As fans(?) if they think this is acceptable then they aren't fans really and probably have an agenda outside of having a successful program first.
Bingo ! 100% right on the money. Great post 👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT