ADVERTISEMENT

SI article on Satterfield, transfers, recruiting, and general state of the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa, on the stories about Krag not being a HC after leaving Louisville. Not long after going to LSU as an asst to Miles...Krag became very ill. In fact I would say the Louisville crash lead to the collapse of his already declining health.

His illness became so bad he had to give up coaching and LSU kept him in administration job. I know some of Krag story personally about his health.

I’m not defending Krag for his fails at Louisville. I’m defending why the man disappeared from coaching.

So, Louisville gave him Parkinsons? Am I reading that right?

Reactions: BPGhost
X, thanks for posting the article. It reads about like I expected when I first heard Mark Ennis quoting from it. Wall-to-wall opinion and pretty devoid of independent sources.

And it's fascinating that people who actually have football cred like Jeff Brohm and Eric Wood also have the opposite take on Petrino.

But debating a millionaire ex-coach at this time is pointless. The new guy with his diminishing roster and mid-major commitments will get all the time he needs by "Vince" to show what an improvement he is. I can't wait to witness it...

Last edited:
@CardX and @BPGhost, enjoyed the trash talk this morning. Was a good time and “y’all” are pros at it.

Also good point on Krag, his illness could have influenced his job opportunities. Bottom line, Petrino destroys programs.

Reactions: rh62531
In fairness, Scott is going to need five years minimum. This is a massive rebuild and going to take time to be done right.

Hate to compare it but it’s similar to what Stoops is doing at UKaaay. We have to recruit and develop linemen and depth. I trust Scott will do it but it isn’t happening overnight

In fairness, Scott is going to need five years minimum. This is a massive rebuild and going to take time to be done right.

Hate to compare it but it’s similar to what Stoops is doing at UKaaay. We have to recruit and develop linemen and depth. I trust Scott will do it but it isn’t happening overnight
It took Charlie Strong one year to get us back to a bowl game post-Krags...

I didn't know you are a Colonel BP? No wonder you have such a gift for language. I personally say "you'se guys, though!

X, thanks for posting the article. It reads about like I expected when I first heard Mark Ennis quoting from it. Wall-to-wall opinion and pretty devoid of independent sources.

And it's fascinating that people who actually have football cred like Jeff Brohm and Eric Wood also have the opposite take on Petrino.

But debating a millionaire ex-coach at this time is pointless. The new guy with his diminishing roster and mid-major commitments will get all the time he needs by "Vince" to show what an improvement he is. I can't wait to witness it...
What sort of first person accounting could Brohm and Wood give on petrino 2.0? Their “football cred” on the subject is strictly 1.0.

He also wasn’t competing against Power 5 competition.
The teams Charlie beat in 2010 had a combined record of 31-42. The six worst teams on next year's schedule (by record) went 36-37 last year.

That five-game difference indicates that Satterfield will need five years for a turnaround instead of less?

The bottom line: the worst teams on anyone's schedule aren't that great. Not if you're making genuine improvement...

What sort of first person accounting could Brohm and Wood give on petrino 2.0?...
About the same first person accounting that an SI reporter and a staff member under the new coach (Dennison) could offer...

So, Louisville gave him Parkinsons? Am I reading that right?

No, but he does have Parkinsons, and has a pacemaker. It wouldn't hurt to show the guy a little respect. How much time has to go by before some people stop feeling the need to insult him. He failed as a coach. UofL lost some games. It isn't the first time, or the last. Why the need to savage the guy, for years. (Not talking about you Cardx)

No, but he does have Parkinsons, and has a pacemaker. It wouldn't hurt to show the guy a little respect. How much time has to go by before some people stop feeling the need to insult him. He failed as a coach. UofL lost some games. It isn't the first time, or the last. Why the need to savage the guy, for years. (Not talking about you Cardx)

Well, it’s the nature of sports. Cooper still gets crapped on. Howard still gets praised. Petrino will live in infamy. Kragthorpe’s legacy is what it is. Not good.

Reactions: gocds and BPGhost
So that has been the story line forever but it rings hollow to me. If there was such a "serious drug culture" going on, why wasn't it discovered previously? You would either have to buy into one of two scenarios - either Jurich knew and kept it under wraps by controlling the police and the media (which is ridiculous IMO) or, Jurich completely turned a blind eye to the situation.

Kragpoop's tenure was marked by teams that lacked discipline and effort. If this was due to the drug culture, then why didn't it show up in Petrino 1.0? His teams were extremely disciplined and played hard every snap. Basically kragpoop failed in almost every aspect of his job and when the program started to decline - he looked for excuses for why he was bad at his job.

The assertions of the SI article make sense. Petrino was upset with Jurich's getting fired and realized that he was always going to be on thin ice with the new administration. He could have dug in and worked even harder but it seems based upon the reports, he decided to go the other way.
I have coached some (not at the college level, not football) but I remember attending some of Kragthorpe’s first practices that were open and being immediately concerned.

The practices were too loose and weren’t disciplined enough for me. Kragthorpe himself wasn’t hands-on or vocal with any unit. He almost seemed detached from the whole thing.

Well, it’s the nature of sports. Cooper still gets crapped on. Howard still gets praised. Petrino will live in infamy. Kragthorpe’s legacy is what it is. Not good.

I get that Cardx, and I agree that he proved to be a bust here. There were factors, like TJ's insistance that he keep Brohm and other Petrino assistants rather than allow him to build his own staff, that might have contributed to what happened under his watch. I just don't get the hateful way some in this group savage the guy. Cooper was terrible, but his name wasn't made into a verb used to describe every failure by the team. Personally, I find it offensive and childish.

I get that Cardx, and I agree that he proved to be a bust here. There were factors, like TJ's insistance that he keep Brohm and other Petrino assistants rather than allow him to build his own staff, that might have contributed to what happened under his watch. I just don't get the hateful way some in this group savage the guy. Cooper was terrible, but his name wasn't made into a verb used to describe every failure by the team. Personally, I find it offensive and childish.

He gets savaged because he took a 12-1 Orange Bowl team with a ton of returning talent and drove them directly into the ground. It takes a special kind of awful to do that. The keeping of Brohm and others was to help ensure continuity. It didn't work out, then things got worse. The Cards were on a 9 year run of bowl games, increased popularity, and exposure, and he single handedly destroyed it. At least Cooper could recruit. Kragthorpe couldn't do a thing. Criticism is warranted.

Reactions: vegasville1
He also wasn’t competing against Power 5 competition.

He was competing against AQ teams of the BCS then, however. Power 5 didn't really become relevant until the Big East conference split up. Charlie then spent his one and only season competing against non P5 teams in 2013.

He gets savaged because he took a 12-1 Orange Bowl team with a ton of returning talent and drove them directly into the ground. It takes a special kind of awful to do that. The keeping of Brohm and others was to help ensure continuity. It didn't work out, then things got worse. The Cards were on a 9 year run of bowl games, increased popularity, and exposure, and he single handedly destroyed it. At least Cooper could recruit. Kragthorpe couldn't do a thing. Criticism is warranted.

I'll just finish with criticism IS warranted, but the continued use of Kragthorp's name to describe every Uof L football failure is tired and, frankly, lazy.

He gets savaged because he took a 12-1 Orange Bowl team with a ton of returning talent and drove them directly into the ground. It takes a special kind of awful to do that...
No one debates that today, not even me.

The issue is the narrative AT THE TIME explaining K-rag's incompetence. A lot of it was supposedly roster related, as others point out. The key word "supposedly".

I think I hear that same song being sung now. Let's hope the results turn out better...

No one debates that today, not even me.

The issue is the narrative AT THE TIME explaining K-rag's incompetence. A lot of it was supposedly roster related, as others point out. The key word "supposedly".

I think I hear that same song being sung now. Let's hope the results turn out better...

There are similarities. There was a purge of 20 players during Kragthorpe's first two years. He also canned 12 assistant coaches during the same time frame. There are, I believe, 13 transfers so far under Satterfield's short reign. The circumstances are different, though, I think we can all, for the most part, agree.

I'm not sure if any or how many players transferred during BP's first year in 2014. There were at least twelve during the '15, '16, and '17 seasons. Of course, there were over 20 reportedly interested in transferring during the debacle of 2018, but a lot of those were forms of protest.

What sort of first person accounting could Brohm and Wood give on petrino 2.0? Their “football cred” on the subject is strictly 1.0.

I imagine both those guys are tuned into Louisville football as much as anyone who was not currently on staff. I just think your never going to hear publicly what they really think.

I’d love to hear what Mr Brohm and especially Mr Wood would say in private if they were asked about the national joke the program became after Lamar Jackson left.

Those guys are always going to be rightfully loyal to Petrino but I guarantee you Eric Wood is shocked at how his former coach took something good that he helped build and left it practically unrecognizable.

Thanks for keeping us updated with your most recent activity - it's fascinating stuff. I'll be sure to look for what you did with the rest of your day across the rest of your social media platforms.

Btw - could it be considered "egocentric" to instead of just "clicking close", feel the need to post about it? o_O

You have a point - but my counter point is this ^^^^

(that took 10 seconds to type, now back to reading football posts vs this bragging contest)

Ill own you too.

Bobby was great with left overs but would burn the house down trying to make cereal. Krag came into a dumpster fire. There’s ample evidence of what Petrino leaves behind. Take off the Birdvision and see.
Look at the roster Petrino left behind. Almost the entire team from an Orange Bowl winner the year before and he couldn't even get to a bowl game. Kragthorpe sucked as a coach and he ran HS schemes.

Last edited:
You have a point - but my counter point is this ^^^^

(that took 10 seconds to type, now back to reading football posts vs this bragging contest)
The bragging contest was over a while ago - you’re the only one still talking about.

Better luck with your 6th post! :)

Revisionist history on all accounts, which is fine with me...SI article is a good read and could be on the mark, but there are other options. I have my own opinions, but I suspect no one here cares, I've mentioned them before. Looking forward, I feel much better about Satterfield than I did about ANY other hire in modern times for the Cards. May take some time, but my feeling is this guy is pure FB, I think he's a perfect for for the ACC, and if things go as well as I think it'll be a question of whether we can hold onto him. And I'm not sure we can, I think he's that good. Soooo, argue about the past, form it to fit your vision, but none of that has an impact on going forward. Apologies for any Grammer issues, I got 2 degrees from UofL, but not in Grammer.

I have coached some (not at the college level, not football) but I remember attending some of Kragthorpe’s first practices that were open and being immediately concerned.

The practices were too loose and weren’t disciplined enough for me. Kragthorpe himself wasn’t hands-on or vocal with any unit. He almost seemed detached from the whole thing.

We all knew his coaching days were over,.. after he left his Waffle House menu on his desk

Revisionist history on all accounts, which is fine with me...SI article is a good read and could be on the mark, but there are other options. I have my own opinions, but I suspect no one here cares, I've mentioned them before. Looking forward, I feel much better about Satterfield than I did about ANY other hire in modern times for the Cards. May take some time, but my feeling is this guy is pure FB, I think he's a perfect for for the ACC, and if things go as well as I think it'll be a question of whether we can hold onto him. And I'm not sure we can, I think he's that good. Soooo, argue about the past, form it to fit your vision, but none of that has an impact on going forward. Apologies for any Grammer issues, I got 2 degrees from UofL, but not in Grammer.

I expect Satterfield to do well here. I don’t expect he’ll be here long, though, and it has nothing to do with his coaching abilities. His agent is Jimmy Sexton. He’ll shop him around every chance he gets. Sexton is partly why Satterfield is here.

Please let the guy actually coach at least 1 game before starting with the snarky comments.

Reactions: rh62531 and Art79
Ill own you too.

Bobby was great with left overs but would burn the house down trying to make cereal. Krag came into a dumpster fire. There’s ample evidence of what Petrino leaves behind. Take off the Birdvision and see.

An Orange bowl winning team returning 16 starters is a dumpster fire cause they smoked weed.

Is that you Mrs Kragdud.

You aint ownin shit.

Your snark is weak, son.

You don’t know if Krag even wanted to be a head coach again. He clearly hasn’t had problems finding jobs, unlike Bobby.

Member when Tom bussed Bobby for what he left behind? I do. Then the same thing happened at Arkansas and low and behold it’s happeninf here again.

But Krag didn’t get another head coach position... GTFOH
Could be because he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s.

BP, my cousin is an Assistant Coach at Centre and I have lots of cousins in Perryville, Danville and Junction City! Love me some Colonels

Yeah, PRP me too. My mother was from Junction City and my grandparents are buried in a church cemetery there. Actually, my mother’s birthplace was a place called Hogue Hollow.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

So that has been the story line forever but it rings hollow to me. If there was such a "serious drug culture" going on, why wasn't it discovered previously? You would either have to buy into one of two scenarios - either Jurich knew and kept it under wraps by controlling the police and the media (which is ridiculous IMO) or, Jurich completely turned a blind eye to the situation.

Kragpoop's tenure was marked by teams that lacked discipline and effort. If this was due to the drug culture, then why didn't it show up in Petrino 1.0? His teams were extremely disciplined and played hard every snap. Basically kragpoop failed in almost every aspect of his job and when the program started to decline - he looked for excuses for why he was bad at his job.

The assertions of the SI article make sense. Petrino was upset with Jurich's getting fired and realized that he was always going to be on thin ice with the new administration. He could have dug in and worked even harder but it seems based upon the reports, he decided to go the other way.

Art Carmody has said that guys who tested postive often werent tested again to avoid further punishment. I still think the difference was that Petrino 1.0 ruled by fear and was able to keep guys in line vs whatever Krags did and he lost control of the roster. Carmody explained this in the same story when he talked about a cell phone ringing during krag’s 1st meeting everyone waiting for the player to get ripped and krags politely waiting for the player to turn it off

Petrino has a terrific football mind, but he is an introvert that couldn't deal with people. The first go around he had a terrific staff that allowed him to do his thing. The 2nd go around he never was able to build that kind of staff. He would be a terrific coordinator, but his days as a head coach are over.

Reactions: Guardman
Well it appears we had a Trojan Horse. So now we rebuild. And if I’m the administration I go after that POS. Win or lose that SOB will never coach again!
Yea the Trojan Horses names were Grissom, Postel, and Bevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT