ADVERTISEMENT

SI article on Satterfield, transfers, recruiting, and general state of the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/04/01/scott-satterfield-louisville-cardinals-bobby-petrino
By Andy Staples
April 01, 2019
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — When Scott Satterfield arrived at Louisville from Appalachian State in December, he combed through the roster to determine his recruiting needs.

He saw that the Cardinals had eight returning offensive linemen on scholarship. “That’s not enough,” he says. He saw that the Cardinals had 15 returning wide receivers on scholarship. “That’s too many,” he says. Louisville had one returning tight end. That wouldn’t have seemed odd if the Cardinals hadn’t used a tight end much, but former coach Bobby Petrino’s offense used tight ends frequently.

Satterfield won’t put it so bluntly, but it was almost as if the people who had stocked Louisville’s roster hadn’t planned to be there long enough to coach it. Now, as Cardinals players file into the transfer portal following a very early spring practice Satterfield embraced after Duke coach David Cutcliffe sold him on it, Satterfield can get down to the business of coaching the Louisville players who want to be part of a resurrection that will come with time.

Reading the headlines about the players leaving the program might lead to the assumption that Louisville players are unhappy. That couldn’t be further from the truth for the bulk of the roster.

“Looks like they’re having some fun now, doesn’t it?” co-defensive coordinator Cort Dennison says. “I think these kids are definitely enjoying the different dynamic.”

Dennison was at Louisville for the fun times (on the field), when quarterback Lamar Jackson won a Heisman Trophy in 2016 and the Cardinals went toe-to-toe with a Clemson team that would go on to win the national title. Dennison joined Mario Cristobal’s staff at Oregon after the 2017 season, so he missed the free fall and subsequent rock bottom last season. But he had recruited many players on the roster, so his heart ached for the Cardinals as they endured blowout after blowout. The Cardinals lost their last nine games. They allowed at least 52 points in each of their last five. They were the worst team in the ACC, and it wasn’t particularly close.

It looked from the outside as if Petrino and his staff were tanking with the hope of getting bought out. The stories that have seeped out since Petrino was fired on Nov. 11 have only deepened that suspicion. The staff didn’t hold regular recruiting meetings—something every staff in the country does. Only one person, the director of football operations, had the head coach’s cell phone number. Players had no idea where the head coach’s office was because they weren’t welcome there. High school coaches weren’t allowed to watch practice. These are the things a coaching staff does if it wants to drive a program into the ground, and if that was the goal, Petrino succeeded mightily.

He got his $14 million buyout. Someone else would have to clean up the mess.

After native son Jeff Brohm chose to remain at Purdue, that task fell to Satterfield. It might wind up being better for all parties that it worked out this way. Brohm would have arrived with savior expectations and might not have been granted the time it will take to climb out of the hole Petrino dug. Satterfield, meanwhile, has done something like this before.

No, he hasn’t taken over a program that flatlined. The culture at his alma mater Appalachian State was always healthy. But when Satterfield replaced his college coach and former boss Jerry Moore in 2013, the Mountaineers were transitioning from the FCS to the FBS. They were going from 63 available scholarships to 85. (Given Louisville’s recent portal entries, which don’t seem to have the coaching staff the least bit broken up, the numbers issue should feel quite familiar.) In Satterfield’s first season as head coach, proud Appalachian State went 4–8. The Mountaineers started his second season 1–5, but no one seemed panicked. Satterfield could feel the turn coming, and when it came, the momentum just built. “We went on the road back-to-back weeks and beat [Louisiana] and Arkansas State,” Satterfield says, referring to two of the better programs in the Sun Belt at the time. “I thought, ‘We’re going to be pretty good.’” And they were. The Mountaineers finished 2014 on a six-game winning streak. They then went 41–11 over the next four seasons.

Satterfield knows he’ll have to start with a rebuild at Louisville. He doesn’t care about what happened in the games last season, but with a spring practice under his belt, he has a good handle on the roster. He has quite a few players who belong as starters in the ACC. He also knows he has some that don’t. He’ll have to develop those while recruiting players capable of winning in a division led by the current college football Death Star (Clemson) and populated with former also-rans (Syracuse, Boston College, Wake Forest) that have improved dramatically in recent seasons. There’s also the matter of Florida State. The jury remains out on the Seminoles, but if they get their issues straightened out, Satterfield’s job only gets more difficult.

But it’s not a difficulty he can’t handle. His recruiting classes at Appalachian State usually ranked from the middle to the bottom of the Sun Belt. You saw the record, so who knew better: his staff or the recruiting services? At Appalachian State, Satterfield sought players who could run like their ACC and SEC counterparts at their positions. They might have been four inches shorter or 30 pounds lighter, but the Mountaineers never sacrificed speed. The Cardinals won’t, either. The difference is that now the players who fit those ACC archetypes will be willing to hear Satterfield’s pitch. Yes, Louisville had a horrible season last year. But the Cardinals also had a player hoist the Heisman less than three years ago. That will resonate with recruits.

Don’t be surprised if Satterfield’s first recruiting classes remain below the midline in the rankings. He knows he eventually needs to beat the Clemsons and the Georgias for a player or two if he hopes to win an ACC title, but he’ll build this program the same way he built Appalachian State—with tough, smart players who love competition. He knows this works.

Unlike his predecessor, he won’t tilt everything toward the offense. “He understands the dynamics of letting the defensive coaches take control and manage their side of the ball,” Dennison says. Satterfield is the rare head coach who comes from the offensive side of the ball and embraces offensive innovation but also understands he must give his defensive coaches the resources and the practice time they need to build a dominant unit. Satterfield learned that the hard way in 2004 as an Appalachian State assistant. The Mountaineers had switched from the I-formation to the spread, and Satterfield called the plays. Appalachian State’s scoring average rose dramatically, but so did the amount of points the Mountaineers allowed. A 59–56 loss late that season at Chattanooga convinced Satterfield that if he ever ran his own team, he wouldn’t sacrifice defense for offense. In three of the past four seasons, Appalachian State ranked in the top 20 in fewest yards per play allowed. Last year, with current Louisville coordinator Bryan Brown in his first year running the defense, Appalachian State ranked fourth in the nation, allowing only 4.4 yards a play.

Evan though they’re coming off a season from hell, Cardinals players smiled and joked as they passed through the football facility and the weight room last week. Satterfield believes they’ll play hard for his staff if his coaches can prove to the players that they care, and so far the players who have elected to stay seem to believe. Dennison understands why. “It’s a positive environment,” he says. “You don’t have to be negative all the time to win football games.”

The Cardinals may have some growing pains as the staff retools the roster, but they can rest assured that it can’t get worse than last season. Louisville has nowhere to go but up, and the Cardinals seem to have found a coaching staff that understands exactly how to do the lifting.

I don’t recall Kragthorpe complaining about a toxic culture. I remember him making excuses for sucking at his job, however.

I was a grad student at UofL during the tail end of the Kragthorpe era and the first year of the Strong era. One of my professors shared with a few of us that he was on a flight with Kragthorpe about 6 months after he was let go. He introduced himself as a member of the UL faculty and struck up a conversation. When asked what he would have done differently if he could start over, he responded that he wouldn't have taken the job because of the "serious drug culture" on the team.

Look, I'm not here to defend Kragthorpe. He was a complete failure and the first of two torpedo jobs of the football program by Jurich. But, the events of last year certainly make you wonder.

Last edited:
I was a grad student at UofL during the tail end of the Kragthorpe era and the first year of the Strong era. One of my professors shared with a few of us that he was on a flight with Kragthorpe about 6 months after he was let go. He introduced himself as a member of the UL faculty and struck up a conversation. When asked what he would have done differently if he could start over, he responded that he wouldn't have taken the job because of the "serious drug culture" on the team.

Look, I'm not here to defend Kragthorpe. He was a complete failure and the first of two torpedo jobs of the football program by Jurich. But, the events of last year certainly make you wonder.
So that has been the story line forever but it rings hollow to me. If there was such a "serious drug culture" going on, why wasn't it discovered previously? You would either have to buy into one of two scenarios - either Jurich knew and kept it under wraps by controlling the police and the media (which is ridiculous IMO) or, Jurich completely turned a blind eye to the situation.

Kragpoop's tenure was marked by teams that lacked discipline and effort. If this was due to the drug culture, then why didn't it show up in Petrino 1.0? His teams were extremely disciplined and played hard every snap. Basically kragpoop failed in almost every aspect of his job and when the program started to decline - he looked for excuses for why he was bad at his job.

The assertions of the SI article make sense. Petrino was upset with Jurich's getting fired and realized that he was always going to be on thin ice with the new administration. He could have dug in and worked even harder but it seems based upon the reports, he decided to go the other way.

So that has been the story line forever but it rings hollow to me. If there was such a "serious drug culture" going on, why wasn't it discovered previously? You would either have to buy into one of two scenarios - either Jurich knew and kept it under wraps by controlling the police and the media (which is ridiculous IMO) or, Jurich completely turned a blind eye to the situation.

Kragpoop's tenure was marked by teams that lacked discipline and effort. If this was due to the drug culture, then why didn't it show up in Petrino 1.0? His teams were extremely disciplined and played hard every snap. Basically kragpoop failed in almost every aspect of his job and when the program started to decline - he looked for excuses for why he was bad at his job.

The assertions of the SI article make sense. Petrino was upset with Jurich's getting fired and realized that he was always going to be on thin ice with the new administration. He could have dug in and worked even harder but it seems based upon the reports, he decided to go the other way.
He pooched it after Florida State.

I think it can be reasonably asserted that BP rarely if ever left programs in good shape. I happen to like the man. But I think he had serious faults. I don't think he is instinctively capable of running an organization. I think he thought football tactics all the time. For just a few games into the future. I don't think he had an overarching strategy for any of his programs. Day to Day thinker. In his last three seasons, he became completely dependent on Andy for EVERYTHING.

Reactions: gocds

I'm not buying it. I don't doubt there were guys smoking weed. And, honestly, I don't care about that. The roster, however, was filled with high character guys when Kragthorpe took over. Brohm, Wood, Cantwell, Anderson, Beaumont, Bolen, those guys were leaders of the team. I mean, the team had mandatory bible study. But, sure, rampant drug addiction afflicted the entire team.

I'm not coming at you. I believe what your professor told you. It's Kragthorpe who is full of it. And, understandably so. He's got pride. He failed miserably. A lot of us would make excuses, too.

Reactions: gocds and BPGhost
Bro, need to back away from trashing Krag when there’s ample evidence of what Bobby leaves in his wake.

Bobby inherits solid programs, succeeds with what’s left and then bounces. We saw it and Arkansas saw it but Tom still brought him back. Bc there wasn’t anywhere for Bobby to go, we got to see a Bobby built program up close. The 14 million dollar buy out is ALL on Tom Jurich.

Love Tom but there were times the mans loyalty kept him from seeing the obvious.

Krag wasn’t the problem.

Reactions: rh62531
They made Jeff the fall guy. Not uncommon to bus an oc to buy more time. I’m sure Jeff remembered that during this coaching search.

They made Jeff the fall guy. Not uncommon to bus an oc to buy more time. I’m sure Jeff remembered that during this coaching search.
“They” we’re gone during the coaching search. Brohm turned UofL down for a couple reason - mostly to do with extra numbers on his paycheck - but none of them had anything to do with his time as OC.

Strike two.

Your snark is weak, son.

You don’t know if Krag even wanted to be a head coach again. He clearly hasn’t had problems finding jobs, unlike Bobby.

Member when Tom bussed Bobby for what he left behind? I do. Then the same thing happened at Arkansas and low and behold it’s happeninf here again.

But Krag didn’t get another head coach position... GTFOH

Your snark is weak, son.

You don’t know if Krag even wanted to be a head coach again. He clearly hasn’t had problems finding jobs, unlike Bobby.

Member when Tom bussed Bobby for what he left behind? I do. Then the same thing happened at Arkansas and low and behold it’s happeninf here again.

Kragpoop didn’t want to be a HC again - well that makes complete sense - now I remember all of those HC offers that he turned down - lol.

Forget snark - your takes are weak “son”.

(1) your weak ass clearly did not attend the University of Louisville since correct spelling is a requirement to graduate.

(2) do you have direct knowledge of Krag and his discussions with other coaches, schools, etc? You don’t but we all see the dude hasn’t hurt for employment while WKU and Tom were the only folks interested in Bobby. Oh and WKU all but paid us to take him.

(3) I personally like Bobby. I think that the man is misunderstood and is nowhere close to the villain that he’s made into. The dude just can’t manage a football program.

I hope you are able to enroll in a good continuing education program, earn your GED and have a wonderful future.

The two are not mutually exclusive ... there could have been a rampant drug culture and Kragthorpe could have sucked as a head football coach.

Kragthorpe’s record is ample evidence of the latter. And it was very clear that the program has had athletes who had problems that were drug related: Willie Williams, Rod Council, Nate Harris, Jonta Woodard among them.

Now is not the time for diplomacy.

I’m gonna have to pay taxes for owning @BPGhost’s ass on this fine Wednesday morning

Reactions: BlueRattie
Bro, need to back away from trashing Krag when there’s ample evidence of what Bobby leaves in his wake.

Bobby inherits solid programs, succeeds with what’s left and then bounces. We saw it and Arkansas saw it but Tom still brought him back. Bc there wasn’t anywhere for Bobby to go, we got to see a Bobby built program up close. The 14 million dollar buy out is ALL on Tom Jurich.

Love Tom but there were times the mans loyalty kept him from seeing the obvious.

Krag wasn’t the problem.

Krag wasn’t the problem? Holy f****** s***!

Ill own you too.

Bobby was great with left overs but would burn the house down trying to make cereal. Krag came into a dumpster fire. There’s ample evidence of what Petrino leaves behind. Take off the Birdvision and see.

Your snark is weak, son.

Bobby inherited a difficult situation at Ark and actually built that program. It crashed and burned like a spin-out motorcycle when John L took over for a year. I don’t know how much of that was on a burnt-out and disinterested Smith and how much in Petrino. CBP clearly mailed it in last year.

Reactions: BPGhost
Ill own you too.

Bobby was great with left overs but would burn the house down trying to make cereal. Krag came into a dumpster fire. There’s ample evidence of what Petrino leaves behind. Take off the Birdvision and see.

You need to learn how to appropriately reply to someone before you can “own” anybody. A Kragthorpe apologist? Good Lord. You probably go to SECC.

Reactions: BPGhost
No apologist. Just stating clear observations.

As I’ve said, I personally like Bobby and Tom. Appreciate what they did here but Bobby clearly destroyed programs. If you can’t see that, something is wrong.

Jeff Brohm is the only coach to have any immediate success after Petrino and that was due to Bobby only having a year to screw it up.

Bro, Arkansas was one of the most consistent programs in the sec when Bobby went in. Houston Nutt had them in the “ship and in the conversation yearly.

Look what Bilema came into. Smith was terrible but can’t judge the program for his one year. Bilema got the Bobby effect.

Y’all will say he can’t coach next. Forget what he did at Wisconsin. SMMFH

No apologist. Just stating clear observations.

As I’ve said, I personally like Bobby and Tom. Appreciate what they did here but Bobby clearly destroyed programs. If you can’t see that, something is wrong.

Jeff Brohm is the only coach to have any immediate success after Petrino and that was due to Bobby only having a year to screw it up.

Bobby 2.0 mismanaged the roster. That’s clear as day. Bobby 1.0 left Kragthorpe a loaded roster, that Steve mismanaged.

Bro...
Be
For
Real

You’re attempting to say that the only time in Petrino’s career that he left a good program was when he left the first time? Come on, bro.

Krag’s teams sucked, Charlie’s first teams sucked. That was climbing out of the hole that petrino created and Krag couldn’t get out of.

But, hey, Charlie got fired at Texas. The guy can’t coach.

Hey #birdgang, did a little googling and check out what the anonymous coach says about Bobby and what he left Krag.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...648/bobby-petrino-louisville-scandal-timeline

What is Tom quoted as saying in that article? Doesn’t read like Petrino left a loaded roster.

Don’t get me wrong, not saying that Krag walked on water or anything, but the dude inherited a mess.

7 players were drafted from that mess of a roster. And, Tom was so distraught how Petrino managed a roster, he hired him again. Tom was defending his then coach with his comments from 2008.

I don't care about Arkansas. I'm not an Arkansas fan.

(1) your weak ass clearly did not attend the University of Louisville since correct spelling is a requirement to graduate.

(2) do you have direct knowledge of Krag and his discussions with other coaches, schools, etc? You don’t but we all see the dude hasn’t hurt for employment while WKU and Tom were the only folks interested in Bobby. Oh and WKU all but paid us to take him.

(3) I personally like Bobby. I think that the man is misunderstood and is nowhere close to the villain that he’s made into. The dude just can’t manage a football program.

I hope you are able to enroll in a good continuing education program, earn your GED and have a wonderful future.
1. First thing that you've been correct about - graduated from Centre College. I find it indescribably funny that you with your constant errors in grammar and misappropriated slang is calling anyone else out on spelling. Where did "Y'all" graduate from again? :rolleyes:

2. The only direct knowledge necessary is recognizing the historical fact that kragpoop was never a HC again after his abject failure at UofL. Trying to prove your point by asking someone to prove that something didn't happen is the faultiest of logic. One would hope that a graduate of UofL would understand that but, perhaps you skipped that class to get a face tattoo that day.

3. Unless you know "Bobby" personally - you can't like him "personally".

In conclusion, "dude" - you are a buffoon and if you are a graduate of UofL - then calipari is a triathlete. :)

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Dude, you are the lamest at forming any kind of logical argument.

John L built the program that Bobby excelled in. Krag and Charlie dealt with the program Bobby left. Krag wasn’t good enough to get out of it, Charlie was.

You don’t care about Arkansas because it doesn’t fit your argument. He destroyed Arkansas in the exact same manner he destroyed us. I’m not an arkansas fan either but I can point out trends and apply it to Louisville.

Tom is a liar now, okay. He made statements consistent with what everyone else was saying but it was just supporting his head coach. Okay.

We got Bobby back because we whiffed on bigger names and WKU was desperate to get rid of him. Remember the reports of WKU calling Tom and asking if he’d be interested in Bobby? They knew. They got the headlines, got Brohm and got rid of Bobby. We got this disaster to climb out of. Scott will do it too.

I’ve got a nice degree on my wall from U of L, bro. “Y’all” is used daily by a significant portion of the population. Your use of “we’re” is predominant in Appalachia attempts at writing.

Once again, Krag hasn’t hurt for employment. We don’t know why he hasn’t gotten another head coaching opportunity. Could be any reason but it’s clear that people in the profession know what he dealt with at Louisville.

And yes, I still like Bobby and wish him nothing but the best but the evidence is there.

Stopped in to read this thread and found two egocentric posters yapping at each other. SMH while clicking close window.

Reactions: Villebandit
I’ve got a nice degree on my wall from U of L, bro. “Y’all” is used daily by a significant portion of the population. Your use of “we’re” is predominant in Appalachia attempts at writing.

Once again, Krag hasn’t hurt for employment. We don’t know why he hasn’t gotten another head coaching opportunity. Could be any reason but it’s clear that people in the profession know what he dealt with at Louisville.

And yes, I still like Bobby and wish him nothing but the best but the evidence is there.
"We're" is a typical Apple unintentional spell check auto correction for "were" on iPhones - lucky that you still have a flip phone. Contrast that to you going out of your way to intentionally type the word "y'all" - lol. Are you from Appalachia or, did you minor in geographical colloquialisms?

We agree - the "people in the profession" have a good read on kragpoop. That's why, since his failure here, he has been employed as a QB coach for that noted QB factory - LSU.

You're priceless - keep doing you!

Last edited:
Reactions: kentuckyshame
Stopped in to read this thread and found two egocentric posters yapping at each other. SMH while clicking close window.
Thanks for keeping us updated with your most recent activity - it's fascinating stuff. I'll be sure to look for what you did with the rest of your day across the rest of your social media platforms.

Btw - could it be considered "egocentric" to instead of just "clicking close", feel the need to post about it? o_O

Reactions: Villebandit
Whoa, on the stories about Krag not being a HC after leaving Louisville. Not long after going to LSU as an asst to Miles...Krag became very ill. In fact I would say the Louisville crash lead to the collapse of his already declining health.

His illness became so bad he had to give up coaching and LSU kept him in administration job. I know some of Krag story personally about his health.

I’m not defending Krag for his fails at Louisville. I’m defending why the man disappeared from coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT