ADVERTISEMENT

SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
SEC had 3 teams in the field of 68, now it's 2 in the 66 that's left.

A 3 seed, a 4 seed, and a play in 11 seed that got smoked in the second 20 minutes by 20.

Those 2 teams left have a lot of SEC weight on their shoulders.

Just like the SEC uahkay sucks. That's very simple and maybe some of the bbn can read that. :p

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

LPT + the essence of a mid-major conference = SEC basketball

If possible, it seems to be getting WORSE every year.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Reactions: vivid_red
In the context of this thread, all that means is that nobody in the SEC EXCEPT for LPT has made a Final Four in that span.

IOW, a $hit conference.

Reactions: vivid_red
I could've swore Florida made it and was the top seed in 2014.

How many ACC schools not named Duke made it in the past 6 years?

The SEC may be the 9th best conference this season. UK didn't play a ranked conference opponent during the regular season.

I could've swore Florida made it and was the top seed in 2014.

How many ACC schools not named Duke made it in the past 6 years?
Bill, we missed ya like a toothache...welcome back!

If you wanna start comparing the difficulty of our conferences, the best way ain't Final Fours. Let's look at each conference's NCAA record last year for the teams we face during the regular season.

The ACC went 17-5. Subtracting U of L's games in the tourney, the ACC's record was 14-4 (0.777). That's the indicator of how difficult U of L's conference schedule was.

The SEC went 6-5. Subtracting LPT's 4-1 leaves a sparkling 2-4 mark (0.333) for SEC teams NOT named LPT.

Telling me what the entire conference did in some respect may be irrelevant if your team is not representative of the teams overall, which is certainly the case with the SEC. Said another way, you can't play yourself, and you don't get credit for it.

The SEC is saved !!!

They announced they have hired none other than (drumroll please) Mike Transghese (aka Trained Goose) to save the SEC hoops programs. If he has the same success as he did keeping the old BE alive Kentucky may need to move to the AAC to play. :)

Well, they really needed to put a bullet in its head.

Zipp, I don't think the SEC is a very good conference presently, but I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be either.

You presented last year as an example, yet if you go back a year earlier only 3 SEC teams made the tourney, 2 made the final 4 and the other made the elite 8.

What holds the SEC back is fan support, I understand football is king, but it's possible to support other sports too.

Reactions: wilkie01
Yes, Bill like Louisville supports basketball, football, soccer, baseball, softball, volleyball, women's basketball ans a bunch or our olympic sports. UK is basicially a one horse show in sports.

Yes, Bill like Louisville supports basketball, football, soccer, baseball, softball, volleyball, women's basketball ans a bunch or our olympic sports. UK is basicially a one horse show in sports.

UK also supports other sports well too. My point was other SEC schools support mainly football as the reason basketball has fallen off in the SEC.
I'll have to take your word on the other sports for UofL. I saw the pic Zipp posted the other night of the UK fan at the Baseball game and the place was empty, and papa johns wasn't exactly filled to the brim in several games.

Zipp, I don't think the SEC is a very good conference presently, but I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be either.

You presented last year as an example, yet if you go back a year earlier only 3 SEC teams made the tourney, 2 made the final 4 and the other made the elite 8.

What holds the SEC back is fan support, I understand football is king, but it's possible to support other sports too.
Well, let's look at the ACC vs. SEC since Pitino Lite arrived. That's the six-year period 2010-2015. The ACC's NCAA record during that period excluding U of L's results was 49-28 (0.636). Again, you don't play yourself. The SEC's record without LPT was 23-19 (0.548).

Before you start saying the %'s aren't much different, you also have to look at the number of games/teams involved. In that same time frame, there were 30 bids to ACC teams and 19 to SEC teams not named U of L or LPT. [We can actually update those numbers including this year's bids: now 37 for the ACC, and 21 for the SEC excl. LPT.]

So, there are more NCAA tournament worthy teams in the ACC AND they win more games when they get there. The SEC gets far fewer invites, and based on their tournament records, it looks like they should get even fewer. (Witness Vandy this year.)

The fan support argument is a chicken-and-egg thing. LPT should have fled that conference a long time ago.

Reactions: Mayoman
...I saw the pic Zipp posted the other night of the UK fan at the Baseball game and the place was empty, and papa johns wasn't exactly filled to the brim in several games.
U of L set opening weekend attendance records this year. That pic was at 8 PM during the 2nd game of a doubleheader, and it was getting a little chilly.

LPT has a ways to go to get to U of L's level in most sports.

Well, let's look at the ACC vs. SEC since Pitino Lite arrived. That's the six-year period 2010-2015. The ACC's NCAA record during that period excluding U of L's results was 49-28 (0.636). Again, you don't play yourself. The SEC's record without LPT was 23-19 (0.548).

Before you start saying the %'s aren't much different, you also have to look at the number of games/teams involved. In that same time frame, there were 30 bids to ACC teams and 19 to SEC teams not named U of L or LPT. [We can actually update those numbers including this year's bids: now 37 for the ACC, and 21 for the SEC excl. LPT.]

So, there are more NCAA tournament worthy teams in the ACC AND they win more games when they get there. The SEC gets far fewer invites, and based on their tournament records, it looks like they should get even fewer. (Witness Vandy this year.)

The fan support argument is a chicken-and-egg thing. LPT should have fled that conference a long time ago.

UK is part of the SEC, you can't remove the best team from a conference, and get a true picture Zipp.

I stated the SEC isn't a very good conference right now. It's not as bad as many believe though. On the flip side the Big 12 isn't as good year in and year out as we're led to believe either.
This perception skews strength's of teams, and in turn affects seeding in the tourney. Which in turn gives teams easier paths.

U of L set opening weekend attendance records this year. That pic was at 8 PM during the 2nd game of a doubleheader, and it was getting a little chilly.

LPT has a ways to go to get to U of L's level in most sports.

Not really Zipp, but if that makes you feel better run with it.

UK is part of the SEC, you can't remove the best team from a conference, and get a true picture Zipp...
Sure you can. The SEC is Snow White and the Dwarfs. It's not really a true conference, certainly not of equals. And when Snow White simply dines on the Dwarfs, that has to be taken into account. You get no credit for playing in the SEC in basketball. And if that chafes you a little, there's the door (to other options).

Sure you can. The SEC is Snow White and the Dwarfs. It's not really a true conference, certainly not of equals. And when Snow White simply dines on the Dwarfs, that has to be taken into account. You get no credit for playing in the SEC in basketball. And if that chafes you a little, there's the door (to other options).

It doesn't bother me Zipp, hell I agreed with you. But you were wrong, and continue to be wrong. More SEC teams have been in the final 4 than the ACC since 2010. The SEC hasn't nor will hold UK back or keep them from getting credit.

Reactions: bloodguard13
It doesn't bother me Zipp, hell I agreed with you. But you were wrong, and continue to be wrong. More SEC teams have been in the final 4 than the ACC since 2010. The SEC hasn't nor will hold UK back or keep them from getting credit.
How LPT gets to the Final Four or performs in the postseason is another debate we've had before. That's not THIS debate.

But he is REALLY good at pushing women into pools...so he has that going for him, which is nice.
Clueless slapd!cks schooling other clueless slapd!cks. And blissful in their ignorance. (Kindly take Jay Rumpmyburger with you when you go.)

If you're gonna try to criticize, at least make a little effort to get your information correct. This one isn't that difficult. Just a LITTLE effort.

I honestly don't see how Uk fans get excited watching their team playing in the SEC, especially in a season like this one where they didn't play a ranked team all conference long. I mean the one season UofL was in the AAC was pretty bad from a fan perspective after getting used to playing in the Big East. It just wasn't nearly as exciting nor were there many games to really get hyped for. And there certainly weren't any great stretches of games like, for example, this past season in the ACC where the Cards played Virginia, North Carolina, @Duke, Notre Dame, vs Duke, Pitt, Miami, and @ Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT